General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-10-07 1:25 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread
Originally posted by cgregg

Originally posted by alltom1 dOOd posted a good question in the B2B thread on the 'other' tri website - I think it bears repeating here: If you look at the swim map(full), you see there is a buoy/marker directly across from the Blockade Runner hotel. dOOd's question was, does the buoy need to be passed on the right, or can you start your left turn towards the SeaPath condos/marina before you get there? It obviously cuts off a good bit of distance if you can pass the buoy on the left.. http://beach2battleship.com/files/b2bFullSwim.pdfThe answer will depend on whatever the RD says in the mandatory meeting on Friday... At least once in the past, the RD has said you were free and clear to take the shortest distance to SeaPath, and that buoy was just for sighting purposes. Other years it was the turn marker, and if you passed the buoy on the left, you were cutting the course short. Obviously, it's worth knowing what route you can take because it's potentially a huge time/distance savings if you can head straight for the marina. Personally, I would not trust what anyone says in regards to the proper route but the RD. If no one else asks the question at the meeting, do everyone a favor and ask yourself. I will offer this advice: Once you make that left turn towards the marina, start sighting on the SeaPath condos. It's the only 'high-rise' on the horizon and you'll save yourself from getting too close to the shore on your right.

Wow, if we're allowed to cut that corner, that would be HUGE.... but, I can't see it being allowed because that would dramatically shorten the course.  Looking at the legend on the swim map, that is marked as Turn Buoy, so I would have to expect that it must be passed on your left... otherwise, you could probably cut 1500' off the swim.

I mean, heck... the Half swimmers would be able to just cut straight across and turn it into a Sprint distance swim.  I suppose that it is a worthwhile question to be asked, but I think the answer is self-evident.

That is what you would think, but...

I would make sure. All I'll say is that plenty of people have cut that corner over the years in full view of the kayakers...

Definitely worth getting a definitive answer from Jeremy at the race meeting.

2013-10-08 5:57 PM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by alltom1

Originally posted by alltom1 dOOd posted a good question in the B2B thread on the 'other' tri website - I think it bears repeating here: If you look at the swim map(full), you see there is a buoy/marker directly across from the Blockade Runner hotel. dOOd's question was, does the buoy need to be passed on the right, or can you start your left turn towards the SeaPath condos/marina before you get there? It obviously cuts off a good bit of distance if you can pass the buoy on the left.. http://beach2battleship.com/files/b2bFullSwim.pdfThe answer will depend on whatever the RD says in the mandatory meeting on Friday... At least once in the past, the RD has said you were free and clear to take the shortest distance to SeaPath, and that buoy was just for sighting purposes. Other years it was the turn marker, and if you passed the buoy on the left, you were cutting the course short. Obviously, it's worth knowing what route you can take because it's potentially a huge time/distance savings if you can head straight for the marina. Personally, I would not trust what anyone says in regards to the proper route but the RD. If no one else asks the question at the meeting, do everyone a favor and ask yourself. I will offer this advice: Once you make that left turn towards the marina, start sighting on the SeaPath condos. It's the only 'high-rise' on the horizon and you'll save yourself from getting too close to the shore on your right.

Wow, if we're allowed to cut that corner, that would be HUGE.... but, I can't see it being allowed because that would dramatically shorten the course.  Looking at the legend on the swim map, that is marked as Turn Buoy, so I would have to expect that it must be passed on your left... otherwise, you could probably cut 1500' off the swim.

I mean, heck... the Half swimmers would be able to just cut straight across and turn it into a Sprint distance swim.  I suppose that it is a worthwhile question to be asked, but I think the answer is self-evident.

That is what you would think, but...

I would make sure. All I'll say is that plenty of people have cut that corner over the years in full view of the kayakers...

Definitely worth getting a definitive answer from Jeremy at the race meeting.

Thanks for posting, Alltom! Last year, I rounded the buoy for the Half, but I heard tons of ppl say that the kayakers were out there telling them to cut the distance...I seem to recall the buoy had been dislodged or something? I don't remember if that was the case, or not.

I'll go around the buoy unless the RD specifically states it is only for sighting...trained too darn hard to get DQ!
2013-10-13 12:08 PM
in reply to: d00d

I was in the Male 30-34 ag last year and I was in the first wave that the RD came on the mic and said "due to currents swimmers were allowed to cut the course". I caught up to the wave of swimmers in front of me. Everybody probably thought I was cheating. What was weird is that me and another guy were the only ones that sighted for the condo at the marina and cut almost straight across the sound. Everybody else kept following the original course and around the bouy. I also don't understand why the swimmers were zigzagging around the buoys and channel markers that led into the marina. Your allowed to just use them for sighting and aim straight for the condo.
2013-10-14 2:31 PM
in reply to: slaterson19

User image

Elite
Cleveland

It'll be interesting to find out if we are allowed to cut this year.   Has anyone thought to email the RD on this??

ARE WE THERE, YET?????!!!!!

2013-10-15 12:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Does anybody know if we have to get a "ticket" for the shuttle from T1 to the swim start? The athlete book indicates that we do, but I do not see that option on the B2B website?

It is getting so CLOSE!!! Is it time for taper yet?
2013-10-15 1:44 PM
in reply to: gadgetlaw

User image

I'm on day2 of taper and I already feel like I'm slacking off. The last 2 weeks were my peak weeks and I had so much fun. Cool weather seeing results from all the months prior. Now its all between the ears and that's when I usually get in trouble....

2013-10-15 7:22 PM
in reply to: dpg31

User image

Elite
Bib #229 for B2B Full. Looking forward to racing.

Feeling like I'm slacking, too....

Less than 2 weeks. Booyah!
2013-10-16 9:51 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Bib #364  WOOOT!!! 

I think taper madness might kill me... I feel like I need to be DOING something!! 

2013-10-16 11:12 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Veteran
Tennessee

Will there be volunteers to help with sunscreen or are we on our own for that. I didn't see it in the athlete guide so I would assume no. Just wondering from others who did it last year.

2013-10-16 1:27 PM
in reply to: iruptacopula

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
228 here!! It is actually going to happen!!
2013-10-16 1:28 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Bib #509!

Looking forward to getting this party started!!

2013-10-16 1:47 PM
in reply to: iruptacopula

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Originally posted by iruptacopula

Will there be volunteers to help with sunscreen or are we on our own for that. I didn't see it in the athlete guide so I would assume no. Just wondering from others who did it last year.

I know I've seen bottles of the stuff in the T2 tent but would be worth asking at the athlete's meeting..
2013-10-16 7:33 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
#1250, in for the half. Nervous but excited!

Does anyone know if we have a chance to get into T1 to pump tires in the morning? Are there pumps available? I'm having a hard time understanding the athlete guide for some reason.
2013-10-16 11:46 PM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
AHHHHH! I am really going to do this? Can I do it?
*slaps self in face*
"Shut up fool, you're doing it"
2013-10-17 9:17 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Originally posted by meggfishy

#1250, in for the half. Nervous but excited!

Does anyone know if we have a chance to get into T1 to pump tires in the morning? Are there pumps available? I'm having a hard time understanding the athlete guide for some reason.

There are pumps available in T1 before you hop on the shuttle to the swim start. A flashlight is helpful but not essential.

To all: I know there are a few atypical parts to the race morning routine at B2B...please keep the questions coming.
2013-10-17 11:56 AM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
In some places in the guide/online it says you have to check your swim to bike bag the day before when you drop off your bike, and in other places it says you can bring it to T1 in the morning. Anyone know what's right? I don't mind dropping the bag off the day before, but I'd rather put fresh nutrition on my bike the morning of the race.

2013-10-17 1:29 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

I think that you will definitely be able to get into T1 the morning of and put nutrition on the bike.... I don't see how they wouldn't allow that.

I suppose I should go read the guide again.  What would go in a Swim-to-Bike bag... shoes & helmet??

Does anyone know the run course?  How well lighted is it?  Should we pack headlamps?

I'm seeing that sunset appears to be roughly 6:30pm and I'm quite certain that I will still be out on the course for another hour or at the very, very least at that point, so I will be running in the dark.  Just wondering how dark it'll be, or is it fairly well lit streets?

Looking at the forecast on the Weather Channel app on my phone right now, it looks like we will have a high of 65 degrees for the race, with temps dropping to 42 at night.... slower runners may want to put a light jacket, or longer sleeved run shirt in their special needs bag.

Looks like they are currently calling for 12mph winds from the north, too.... that could get annoying, especially on the way out on the bike.

2013-10-17 2:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I think that you will definitely be able to get into T1 the morning of and put nutrition on the bike.... I don't see how they wouldn't allow that.

I suppose I should go read the guide again.  What would go in a Swim-to-Bike bag... shoes & helmet??

Does anyone know the run course?  How well lighted is it?  Should we pack headlamps?

I'm seeing that sunset appears to be roughly 6:30pm and I'm quite certain that I will still be out on the course for another hour or at the very, very least at that point, so I will be running in the dark.  Just wondering how dark it'll be, or is it fairly well lit streets?

Looking at the forecast on the Weather Channel app on my phone right now, it looks like we will have a high of 65 degrees for the race, with temps dropping to 42 at night.... slower runners may want to put a light jacket, or longer sleeved run shirt in their special needs bag.

Looks like they are currently calling for 12mph winds from the north, too.... that could get annoying, especially on the way out on the bike.

From the 1st page of the Athlete's Handbook:

"All bikes must be checked by 7pm Friday. You may also check in your changing bags for Swim to Bike (T1) or you may bring your T1 bags on event morning."

Swim to bike bag would hold anything/everything you want to change into for the bike.  If you're doing a complete change then all your clothes (shorts, top, socks, arm warmers, anti-chafe stuff for the undercarriage etc.) + shoes (unless you're having them pre-clipped) + helmet + whatever else you might need. 

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in on whether we need headlamps, as I don't know the answer to that one.

I'm happy with the forecast for Saturday - sunny with no chance of rain! Yes, the wind will get annoying, but eventually we'll be off the bike, right? 

Edited by blueyedbikergirl 2013-10-17 2:51 PM
2013-10-17 4:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
I wouldn't get my hopes up about the wind either way... this far out, that is definitely not an exact science. ha! Someone else told me that the run was fairly well lit... I hope so b/c I am a little night blind and do not plan to have a head lamp.
2013-10-17 5:01 PM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Elite
No headlamp for me! I'm hoping there's enough light without one!

Sure hope the temps don't change too much from the forecasts...if anything, hope they at least reach 70 and don't drop below 50 the morning of...Also hope for no wind! Seems like a majority of my training has been with wind, though, so it wouldn't surprise me if we do have to fight it during the ride.

How's taper coming along?
2013-10-18 4:58 AM
in reply to: #4556363

User image

The cooler weather sounds good to me, I can always add extra gear and stay busy, if it gets warm I just have to slow down. It looks to me if have to have a northerly wind, straight out of the north is better than NW. Should only have bad head wind from mile 20-50 on the bike. Then cross, cross/tail, and tail after that. READY 2 DO THIS....

2013-10-18 3:33 PM
in reply to: dpg31

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
I'm a fan of racing in cooler weather, too... The waiting around in the cold before the gun goes off kind of sucks, though.

In re. wind - There's always wind in this part of the world(or at least when I'm there) but it does usually come from the North and that means both Full and Half racers get a nice tailwind heading towards T2. That little push before it's time to run is manna from heaven...

Last weekend for prep! Check those tires/goggles/cleats/aerobar clamps/aerobottle tie-downs...

Good luck to all - You're almost there.
2013-10-20 7:03 AM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by alltom1

I'm a fan of racing in cooler weather, too... The waiting around in the cold before the gun goes off kind of sucks, though.

In re. wind - There's always wind in this part of the world(or at least when I'm there) but it does usually come from the North and that means both Full and Half racers get a nice tailwind heading towards T2. That little push before it's time to run is manna from heaven...

Last weekend for prep! Check those tires/goggles/cleats/aerobar clamps/aerobottle tie-downs...

Good luck to all - You're almost there.

I like cool weather racing...just not cold weather racing! Looks like the temps are increasing a little, though. Will still be a chilly start to the day, though.

As for the wind, I'm expecting it. I really hope it's not too bad, though. I'll take the tailwind on the way back to T2,

Good point on the gear check, Alltom!

I'd also like to add it is time to try and get some extra rest!

Less than a week now. Awesome.
2013-10-21 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
When are people doing their practice swim?
2013-10-21 10:07 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by alltom1 When are people doing their practice swim?

If I do one, it'll be Friday morning-ish.  There is one being organized by one of the local shops, but I can't recall the details off the top of my head right now.  The more I'm thinking about it, the more I think that I'd like to do it.

I'm glad that the forecasted temps are climbing a little.  Being a bigger body, I'm definitely a fan of cooler weather, but I don't want to have to sweat COLD weather.  I spent half the weekend trying to figure out what to do to handle the bike if temps were in the high 50's like AccuWeather was forecasting.  I was thinking that colder temps on the bike combined with dropping temps at night would make for a definite chance for hypothermia, especially as pace and energy levels dropped in the later stages of the day.

It's still too early to pay attention to wind forecasts, but as of right now it has shifted to being out of the NW so that is a headwind on the entire "out" leg, but thankfully it is only at 4mph right now.  Of course, that is a leg-saver on the entire return leg, too.  In a nutshell, it looks like wind will be as minimal a factor as I've ever seen, at least.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8