Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-01-08 9:51 PM
in reply to: #4567755

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: RE: Sugar-Free January

crews - 2013-01-08 7:21 AM Bought my first box of cookies for myself (in over a year) last night.  Ginger snaps.  Everyone says ginger will help with nausea.  Also got a 2 liter of diet ginger ale to wash it down.  Neither work and now I've eaten a serving of cookies last night and another this morning.  11 grams of sugar per serving.  FAIL!

OUch!  Are you drinking enough water?

2013-01-08 9:52 PM
in reply to: #4556439

User image

Pro
NorCal
Day 8, how is everyone doing?  I'm sick, but staying unsweetened.
2013-01-09 3:48 AM

User image

Yuck, Lots of bugs going around, feel better Abbie! We have had on/off sickness at my house too.

I have mostly good unsweetened days, have had a couple of slips but have not had the "well you've blown it now" attitude that has turned into allowing my self to slip into a DAY of poor eating chioces! I am hungry at night though... I have been trying a natural flavored tea and/or fruit. Will keep going forward!

2013-01-09 9:03 AM

I would like to join as well. All the junk is out of the house now and for the past 3 days, I have been "better". No sugar at night. Trying right now to eliminate processed sugar and other foods like that. I am weak in that cutting all out cold turkey is tough and I admire anyone that can do that.

Let me ask a question-in training for long distance races(HIM to IM) is cutting out all sugar and grains even possible? Seeing that most calories taken in during this training is fast carbs and sugar. I have toyed with vegan but seemed I did not lose weight like I do when I eat more protien/veggies/fruit.
C
2013-01-09 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4569677

User image

Pro
NorCal

Cayenne - 2013-01-09 7:03 AM I would like to join as well. All the junk is out of the house now and for the past 3 days, I have been "better". No sugar at night. Trying right now to eliminate processed sugar and other foods like that. I am weak in that cutting all out cold turkey is tough and I admire anyone that can do that. Let me ask a question-in training for long distance races(HIM to IM) is cutting out all sugar and grains even possible? Seeing that most calories taken in during this training is fast carbs and sugar. I have toyed with vegan but seemed I did not lose weight like I do when I eat more protien/veggies/fruit. C

Welcome!  

AS for cutting grains and sugars for long distance....a few years ago when I was staying grain/sugar-free, I would only eat grains within an hour window of starting/ending a longer workout (over an hour). It wasn't a bowl of pasta, usually a bun with a chicken sandwich.  During the workout I would have the gels etc, but once again only for a longer workout.  Test it out and see how you feel.  Check out the book Paleo for Endurance Athletes.

2013-01-09 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4569677

User image

Regular
Texas

Cayenne - 2013-01-09 9:03 AM I would like to join as well. All the junk is out of the house now and for the past 3 days, I have been "better". No sugar at night. Trying right now to eliminate processed sugar and other foods like that. I am weak in that cutting all out cold turkey is tough and I admire anyone that can do that. Let me ask a question-in training for long distance races(HIM to IM) is cutting out all sugar and grains even possible? Seeing that most calories taken in during this training is fast carbs and sugar. I have toyed with vegan but seemed I did not lose weight like I do when I eat more protien/veggies/fruit. C

Hi Cayenne. Yes, it is definitely possible to train longer distances, but you would want to bring your body into a state of ketosis . . . meaning your body relies on fat for fuel instead of carbs. If you are interested I would listen to 2 different podcasts (the most recent episodes). The first is Vinnie Tortorich (search for the Angriest Trainer podcast). Next, listen to Garden Variety Tri podcast. He is a mostly vegan triathlete also working with ketosis. Both are on iTunes. Also check into the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance."

It is possible, but requires a very different method of eating and thinking.

2013-01-09 2:38 PM

User image

Regular
Texas
I am feeling great. I think once I got through those first 4 days, my cravings have subsided. I am not hungry much during the day, and my night cravings for carbs have almost vanished. Let's hope this keeps up.
2013-01-10 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Baldridges and I are apparently on the same wavelength. I had finally started looking for info on non-sugar long distance fueling, since my relationship with sugar is beyond dysfunctional. A thread on BT led me to Vinnie, who is very fun to listen to, but who also pointed me to the hard science on ketosis. I also got the Phinney and Volek book on performance.

I should also mention that some time ago, Nerdjock sent me a file on similar fueling, and recommended Metabolic Efficiency Training by Bob Seebohar. The subtitle is "teaching the body to burn more fat." I got a copy on half.com, as it is hard to find.

i am just getting started myself, but it appears that more and more experienced and successful endurance athletes are coming out of the ketosis closet. Tim Olson who just smashed the Western States 100 record, did it on a ketogenic diet. Karnazes is mostly paleo now, despite the legendary stories of his early days of the pizza deliveries on the road.

if you check out the angriest trainer podcast, there is an episode around the mid 60s title fueling for endurance. Check it out.

I realize this is getting further than the focus of this thread, but for some who may find the freedom from sugar desirable in the long term, but want to continue endurance training, there are many examples of going against the conventional wisdom. Even if you aren't metabolically deranged (thanks Gary Taubes for that phrase) you might want to look at the evidence of the low GI distress for long distance.

2013-01-10 12:32 PM
in reply to: #4571433

User image

Pro
NorCal
TheClaaaw - 2013-01-10 5:44 AM Baldridges and I are apparently on the same wavelength. I had finally started looking for info on non-sugar long distance fueling, since my relationship with sugar is beyond dysfunctional. A thread on BT led me to Vinnie, who is very fun to listen to, but who also pointed me to the hard science on ketosis. I also got the Phinney and Volek book on performance.

I should also mention that some time ago, Nerdjock sent me a file on similar fueling, and recommended Metabolic Efficiency Training by Bob Seebohar. The subtitle is "teaching the body to burn more fat." I got a copy on half.com, as it is hard to find.

i am just getting started myself, but it appears that more and more experienced and successful endurance athletes are coming out of the ketosis closet. Tim Olson who just smashed the Western States 100 record, did it on a ketogenic diet. Karnazes is mostly paleo now, despite the legendary stories of his early days of the pizza deliveries on the road.

if you check out the angriest trainer podcast, there is an episode around the mid 60s title fueling for endurance. Check it out.

I realize this is getting further than the focus of this thread, but for some who may find the freedom from sugar desirable in the long term, but want to continue endurance training, there are many examples of going against the conventional wisdom. Even if you aren't metabolically deranged (thanks Gary Taubes for that phrase) you might want to look at the evidence of the low GI distress for long distance.

I forgot that I had a copy of Metabolic Efficiency Training from when I got my USAT certification...thanks for the reminder.

2013-01-10 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Almost back to normal.  Had a couple of slip ups...mostly those blasted ginger snaps who have since been given away.  Having a great sugar free day and better yet, no cravings for it.  
2013-01-10 12:52 PM
in reply to: #4572208

User image

Pro
NorCal

crews - 2013-01-10 10:44 AM Almost back to normal.  Had a couple of slip ups...mostly those blasted ginger snaps who have since been given away.  Having a great sugar free day and better yet, no cravings for it.  

Great and coconut oil might help with head issues.  When I was reading up on juice fasting (I have not done one) it recommends a tablespoon of coconut oil for neusea and headaches.

2013-01-11 7:54 AM

South Wales, UK

All sugar free here, cant believe it!!!!

Not wheat free though, went to a friends for lunch yesterday and she had made fresh white bread and bought some fresh butter from the farm. I ate three doorstops of bread with slabs of butter. Absolutely divine.............................. I did not have chocolate cake for pudding so feel like an angel.

As I said still sugar free   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2013-01-11 8:04 AM

Good grief-this gets more and more confusing for me. This may be the wrong place to vent but the mounds of evidence for high fat vs vegan vs paleo vs any other form of "diet" is so frustrating. It seems there is tons of info to back up ANY form of diet, including "fast food". I just don't know of anyone with a health crisis(I know that is not us) like cancer etc report that a high fat diet diet is for them. Seems like everyone goes vegan and of course-no sugar is a given.

To stay OT-no chocolate for me, or any junk(except a 40 cal fudge pop) this week. Seems like I am sleeping better! Yeah!
2013-01-11 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4573512

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
diane.b - 2013-01-11 7:54 AM

All sugar free here, cant believe it!!!!

Not wheat free though, went to a friends for lunch yesterday and she had made fresh white bread and bought some fresh butter from the farm. I ate three doorstops of bread with slabs of butter. Absolutely divine.............................. I did not have chocolate cake for pudding so feel like an angel.

As I said still sugar free   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Intent here is not to criticize but to understand. I've been following this thread with great interest!

But doesn't bread contain sugar? The yeast has to feed off of real sugar for the dough to rise, no? Or does the challenge not take this kind of thing into consideration?

Curious more than anything... kudos to you all on this challenge. 

2013-01-11 4:25 PM

User image

Master

Many of us that are going sugar free are cutting out the processed and junk foods that are high in sugar.  For myself, I still eat things that contain some sugars such as breads and such.  I'm just making better decisions such fresh berries instead of syrup or jams.  

I've had a successful 2 days in the "sugar free" department!!!

2013-01-11 5:27 PM
in reply to: #4573528

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Cayenne - 2013-01-11 9:04 AMGood grief-this gets more and more confusing for me. This may be the wrong place to vent but the mounds of evidence for high fat vs vegan vs paleo vs any other form of "diet" is so frustrating. It seems there is tons of info to back up ANY form of diet, including "fast food". I just don't know of anyone with a health crisis(I know that is not us) like cancer etc report that a high fat diet diet is for them. Seems like everyone goes vegan and of course-no sugar is a given.To stay OT-no chocolate for me, or any junk(except a 40 cal fudge pop) this week. Seems like I am sleeping better! Yeah!

At the risk of sounding like a huge fanboy, the person who piqued my interest in high fat diets is a cancer survivor. Vinnie Tortorich's Angriest Trainer podcast is where I first heard this. But I have spent every free moment for the past three weeks seeking out the real experts in the field. I started a new thread about ketosis specifcally in nutritional cafe so we can take that discussion to that place.

Every one of the people I've found, from vegan to paleo to highfat would agree with your statement to a degree: any diet that limits works. Most would say it is all carbs, but that's beyond the scope of our goal in this thread. Nonetheless, no one advocates for the standard American diet in any way. But yes, even a total restriction of all calories, will result in a lowering of sugar and grains, and vegan, paleo and highfat will all tell you that it is that resuction alone that leas to weight loss.

my sugar free update, I have allowed a few nasty diet sodas where the water options were sketchy, and a stevia-sweetened drink from the health food store. It's all a massive reduction in my artificial sweetener intake from say a month ago. Oherwise, I've been successfully off sugar (except the trace in bacon) for 15 days. No headaches, no cravings. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop.

2013-01-11 8:59 PM

User image

Regular
Texas

Today was rough first day my energy hasn't been off the charts. I attribute it to my carob I ate last night. Technically not sugar, very low GI, but still my way to cheat the system. No more.

I am very dehydrated, which is normal when coming out of wheat and sugar. I have found that when I am feeling "blah" I Nuun tablet does wonders.

2013-01-11 9:01 PM

User image

Regular
Texas

Cayenne - 2013-01-11 8:04 AM Good grief-this gets more and more confusing for me. This may be the wrong place to vent but the mounds of evidence for high fat vs vegan vs paleo vs any other form of "diet" is so frustrating. It seems there is tons of info to back up ANY form of diet, including "fast food". I just don't know of anyone with a health crisis(I know that is not us) like cancer etc report that a high fat diet diet is for them. Seems like everyone goes vegan and of course-no sugar is a given. To stay OT-no chocolate for me, or any junk(except a 40 cal fudge pop) this week. Seems like I am sleeping better! Yeah!

I have felt that frustration . . . but first and foremost I am plant-based. The high fat, ketosis, etc. thing is a new experimental thing. I will never go as far as to add meat (outside of occasional wild-caught fish) back into my diet. That is the thing I have found as overwhelming support in my research. I will definitely go back to a vegan diet a majority of the time, especially when not in the throws of training for a long race. 

2013-01-13 5:39 AM

South Wales, UK
Hi I think the sugar in bread is usually a food for the yeast and has usually disappeared by the time it is cooked and turns into bread. Thankyou for the comment x
2013-01-13 12:00 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal

Cayenne - 2013-01-11 6:04 AM Good grief-this gets more and more confusing for me. This may be the wrong place to vent but the mounds of evidence for high fat vs vegan vs paleo vs any other form of "diet" is so frustrating. It seems there is tons of info to back up ANY form of diet, including "fast food". I just don't know of anyone with a health crisis(I know that is not us) like cancer etc report that a high fat diet diet is for them. Seems like everyone goes vegan and of course-no sugar is a given. To stay OT-no chocolate for me, or any junk(except a 40 cal fudge pop) this week. Seems like I am sleeping better! Yeah!

I think it's best to look at your lifestyle and see what works for you.  Don't think of it as a "diet" but a lifestyle change in eating habits.  Try different ways of eating and see how you feel.  

2013-01-13 12:02 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Day 13 Unsweetened.  I'm still sick, but staying sugar-free....however all of the sodium in soup plus inactivity is just miserable.  Would love to have some ice cream for my throat though.

Edited by AbbieR 2013-01-13 12:03 PM

2013-01-14 4:59 AM

User image

So disapointed with myself, utter fail both weekend days!!! I will not allow my weak mindset to allow me this again!! I too have been sick, now I feel worse!

Back on..... have prepped several SF and "clean" lunches and dinners, so I should be good till Wednesday. Then I'll prep again for rest of the week. I will start logging meals again for accountability

Keep going everybody!!

2013-01-14 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran

I'm doing well at being sugar free (grain free as well). 

I do have an upcoming event that will be a challenge.  It's a birthday party for my godson.  I'm not sure what I'll do about pizza and cake. 

I'm trying to look at the changes I'm making as long term changes, not just 30/31 days.  In my mind, I think I can either decide to go off plan for that party and get right back on after or I can be strict.  I know it won't totally derail me as I've knowingly eaten off plan before and gotten back to it right away. 

I need to have a plan ahead of time and then stick to it.  Any advice on "special" events like this?

2013-01-14 1:12 PM
in reply to: #4577124

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
rustymom - 2013-01-14 9:40 AM

I'm doing well at being sugar free (grain free as well). 

I do have an upcoming event that will be a challenge.  It's a birthday party for my godson.  I'm not sure what I'll do about pizza and cake. 

I'm trying to look at the changes I'm making as long term changes, not just 30/31 days.  In my mind, I think I can either decide to go off plan for that party and get right back on after or I can be strict.  I know it won't totally derail me as I've knowingly eaten off plan before and gotten back to it right away. 

I need to have a plan ahead of time and then stick to it.  Any advice on "special" events like this?

If you are serious about NSNG, eat the top of the pizza, toss the crust. Skip the cake. I am dead serious.

That of course depends on your balance of social skills. For me, my clear issues with food are worn visibily for all to see, so I have back up when I say no to people who want to offer it.

As for cheating a little, then going back, well that. Depends on well you can actually do that. For me, I tried two bites of pizza crust friday night. Screwed me up three ways to sunday. I canot belive it, having been a huge grain/sugar binger before. Blew my mind. S it could have effect of convincing you never to do it again, or it could be a slippery slope back into chaos. I can't speak for your experience, just my own. You say your experience is solid in getting back. You may be fine.

If all else fails, fake a gluten allergy. You can always get this to help. http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/new-claritin/1423666/

2013-01-14 3:24 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
We are two weeks into sugar free January. This is the point where cravings should theoretically be gone, but it's not always so simple, is it?

I've been listening to podcast after podcast lately, and I found one to recommend on this topic. This isn't advocating any particular diet or method, it is an interview about cravings, sugar addiction, and how to approach it with the emotional mind as well as the intellectual. It has a lot of great food for thought.

http://www.fatburningman.com/karly-randolph-pitman-on-sugar-craving/

Edited by TheClaaaw 2013-01-14 3:26 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sugar-Free January Rss Feed  

of 5