Other Resources My Cup of Joe » How many cyclists in Philadelphia are breaking the city's knife laws? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-01-10 12:50 PM

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: How many cyclists in Philadelphia are breaking the city's knife laws?

There's a law in Philadelphia that makes it illegal to have a knife on your person on the street or public property.

That means any knife or instrument similar to a knife, for example a swiss army knife or multi-tool.

The only persons who may have them are those in a trade, profession, or calling
and then only if they're actually engaged in that trade, profession, or calling at the moment.

So if you're a cyclist riding in Philadelphia and you're carrying a multi-tool with a knife blade in it,
you're breaking the law if you are cycling for recreation.

So for those who now ride in Philadelphia, or who might ever consider riding in Philadelphia,
will you follow the law?

The penalty if convicted is not less than $300 and at least ninety days in jail. 

Edited by dontracy 2013-01-10 12:55 PM

(swiss-army-champ-multitool-knife.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
swiss-army-champ-multitool-knife.jpg (45KB - 12 downloads)

2013-01-10 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4572230

Master
, California
Subject: RE: How many cyclists in Philadelphia are breaking the city's knife laws?
If it's in a bag attached to your bike, is it "on your person"?
2013-01-10 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4572251

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: How many cyclists in Philadelphia are breaking the city's knife laws?
non issue, IMO.
2013-01-10 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
Another good reason to stay out of Philadelphia.
in reply to: #4572251

User image

spudone - If it's in a bag attached to your bike, is it "on your person"?

The law says that you may not "possess" it.
So you can't have it in your bag.

(2) Prohibited Conduct. No person shall use or possess any cutting weapon upon the public streets or upon any public property at any time. 

in reply to: #4572253

User image

Kido - non issue, IMO.

Why?

2013-01-10 1:01 PM

User image

NC

Wouldn't this also apply to motorists?  Multi-tool in the glovebox or trunk?

2013-01-10 1:02 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
The way things stand, only outlaw bike gangs will be able to make minor repairs to their bikes.

2013-01-10 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4572260

User image

Goosedog -

Wouldn't this also apply to motorists?  Multi-tool in the glovebox or trunk?

Yes, absolutely.

You may not posses a knife or an instrument similar to a knife on the street or on public property in Philadelphia.

2013-01-10 1:07 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
dontracy - 2013-01-10 12:50 PM

There's a law in Philadelphia that makes it illegal to have a knife on your person on the street or public property.

That means any knife or instrument similar to a knife, for example a swiss army knife or multi-tool.

and then only if they're actually engaged in that trade, profession, or calling at the moment.

So if you're a cyclist riding in Philadelphia and you're carrying a multi-tool with a knife blade in it,

So for those who now ride in Philadelphia, or who might ever consider riding in Philadelphia,
will you follow the law?

The penalty if convicted is not less than $300 and at least ninety days in jail. 

How old is this law?  Just curious.

2013-01-10 1:07 PM

User image

NC

Well, I consider cycling a calling so I'm good.

2013-01-10 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4572258

User image

Sensei
Sin City
dontracy - 2013-01-10 11:00 AM

Kido - non issue, IMO.

Why?

Fine, I'll play.

First, I have owned a dozen multi tools.  None of them even HAD a knife blade.  I did a quick seach, and only the mega versions with 25-30 items have one.  So I don't have one in the first place.  Non issue.

Second, if I DID.  Are cops pulling over random cyclists to check their saddle bag for multi tools that contain knives?  NO.  So not an issue.

Are cops even aware of the law - most likely not.  So another reason I don't think it's an issue.

If the cop IS aware of the law.  Most would be reasonable, like the 5-10 mph over the limit buffer and realize it's part of a multi tool kept on your bike for emergency.  They are not going to fine you.  And that's AFTER you have one, and AFTER they figure out that you have it in the first place...

IF, they wanted to stop you, search you for no reason, then fine you $300 bucks - if you took it to court, you think they would pursue it and waste court time?  Probably not.  Not an issue.

I could probably go on...

But why do you think this IS an isssue?

2013-01-10 1:10 PM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Cyclists? What about shoppers? You go into Macy's downtown and buy a set of steak knives, and then exit the store. You're in violation of the law. Silly law.
2013-01-10 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4572276

User image

crowny2 - How old is this law?  Just curious.

I think it's from 2006, but I'm not positive.
It's relatively new. Not an old one on the books as far as I know. 

2013-01-10 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4572277

User image

Goosedog - 

Well, I consider cycling a calling so I'm good.

Nope.

Calling is a technical term as I understand it
to cover occupations that do not fall under "professions" or "trades".
Hobbies and pastimes don't count. 

User image

Holy cow, anyone actually bike with that thing?  You're going for a bike ride, not an assault on the Eiger

in reply to: #4572276

User image

Sensei
Sin City
crowny2 - 2013-01-10 11:07 AM
dontracy - 2013-01-10 12:50 PM

will you follow the law?

How old is this law?  Just curious.

I'm guessing it's an old law that was established for a condition at the time.  Maybe like Gangs of New York style when gangs were fighting with them.

It's an old law on the books, that only a completely unreasonable person would apply to a multi tool on a bike.

I assume you could get hit with the fine in addition to any other charges if you actually used it to assault someone.  But in that case, I would be more worried about the assault charges than a fine.

in reply to: #4572287

User image

tealeaf - Cyclists? What about shoppers? You go into Macy's downtown and buy a set of steak knives, and then exit the store. You're in violation of the law. Silly law.

Exactly.

But it's the law.

2013-01-10 1:15 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

tealeaf - 2013-01-10 11:10 AM Cyclists? What about shoppers? You go into Macy's downtown and buy a set of steak knives, and then exit the store. You're in violation of the law. Silly law.

I guess you need to have a professional deliver them to you?

1000's of old, outdated, and silly laws out there and no one is interested in cleaning them up because they probably don't come up enough to make it an issue to revise or remove.

2013-01-10 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4572286

User image

Pro
Kido - 2013-01-10 1:10 PM

Kido - non issue, IMO.

Why?

Fine, I'll play.

First, I have owned a dozen multi tools.  None of them even HAD a knife blade.  I did a quick seach, and only the mega versions with 25-30 items have one.  So I don't have one in the first place.  Non issue.

Second, if I DID.  Are cops pulling over random cyclists to check their saddle bag for multi tools that contain knives?  NO.  So not an issue.

Are cops even aware of the law - most likely not.  So another reason I don't think it's an issue.

If the cop IS aware of the law.  Most would be reasonable, like the 5-10 mph over the limit buffer and realize it's part of a multi tool kept on your bike for emergency.  They are not going to fine you.  And that's AFTER you have one, and AFTER they figure out that you have it in the first place...

IF, they wanted to stop you, search you for no reason, then fine you $300 bucks - if you took it to court, you think they would pursue it and waste court time?  Probably not.  Not an issue.

Don't kid yourself....they absolutely know....and they use it when they need to. 

I'm just saying.

2013-01-10 1:22 PM

User image

Kido - 

I agree with all of your points.

Why is this an issue?

Because it's the law and I want to follow the law!

Because the City Council and Mayor wanted to address the issue of violent crime in the city.
So they enacted stricter knife laws. They put more control over who can and can not have a knife in the city.

In the process they affected thousands of law abiding citizens who mean no one any harm.

Now I'm a law abiding citizen. I'm raising my children to be law abiding citizens.
The law in Philadelphia says that you can't have a knife without essentially being a professional engaged in your profession.

What about when we go fishing in the Wissahickon?
Do I lie to my kids about the law?
Do I tell them that it's OK to just break it?
Do I just ignore it and not tell them anything?
How does any of that form them into better law abiding citizens? 

We live north of the city, so I can just not take them into the city anymore for recreation.
That's one solution.

This is all related to the gun issue.
There are all sorts of unintended consequences to such laws.

I'm curious though to hear from people who are calling for stricter gun laws
if they're willing to actually follow Philadelphia's knife laws.

Edited by dontracy 2013-01-10 1:23 PM

2013-01-10 1:23 PM

User image

NC

tealeaf - 2013-01-10 2:10 PM You go into Macy's downtown and buy a set of steak knives, and then exit the store.

This is more confusing than the law.  Who in their right mind, in the age of free delivery, would actually go to a store?

2013-01-10 1:24 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Kido - 2013-01-10 12:10 PM

Kido - non issue, IMO.

Why?

Fine, I'll play.

for me the issue is that a law like this was ever passed in the first place.

in reply to: #4572311

User image

Goosedog - 2013-01-10 11:23 AM

tealeaf - 2013-01-10 2:10 PM You go into Macy's downtown and buy a set of steak knives, and then exit the store.

This is more confusing than the law.  Who in their right mind, in the age of free delivery, would actually go to a store?

And pay retail??????

in reply to: #4572313

User image

NC
rayd - 2013-01-10 2:24 PM

for me the issue is that a law like this was ever passed in the first place.

I'm sure there was a very valid reason.  And they meant well.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » How many cyclists in Philadelphia are breaking the city's knife laws? Rss Feed  

of 5