General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you live in a 'tri-friendly locale? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-11-24 11:24 PM
in reply to: Paulford8

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Do you live in a 'tri-friendly locale?
Hrm, no. Town pool open 6 weeks a year with 1 hour of lap swim, closest lake like 30 miles, no shoulder at all outside the white line for biking, no other athletes in the county to speak of, no sidewalks, trails, no athletic facilities, no coaches obviously, nearest events hundreds of miles away, no shoe stores, bike stores, pool supply/swim stores within 90 miles. Folks see ya running on the road and ask where your car broke down. Even the cows run in terror from me on my bike or running.

2013-11-25 12:47 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
Yes x 100 especially compared to my two previous locations in Alabama and Louisiana. I have easy access to lap pools, bike trails, real trails, varied cycling locations, and nearby OWS. I'll also take having to train in the cold from Nov-March to not have to deal with the heat of the south. There also seems to be tons of tri events, stand-alone running races, and ultra trail races in the area which just makes it even lovelier.
2013-11-25 9:46 AM
in reply to: csikes

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
I am in Niagara Ontario.

On the whole it is an excellent location:

Good:
Two very well organised tri series offering a good variety of mini, sprint,Oly and HIM events. Plus some good local or one off events.
Many good running events (2k up to marathon). 3 (maybe 4) BQ marathons within 2 hour drive.
Miles of trails and conservation area running.
Outlet stores across the border in the US for running gear.
Tons of OWS locations (cold!)
New 25m pool open 5 mins from my house. 50m pool at the local Uni open to the public at some times.
A freindly local tri-specific spin club. They have been realy good to my wife who was nervous about spin training. I just need to be brave enought to go visit them.

Bad:
Not much variety in hills for cycling (but at least there are some!)
Long winter (need to be brave to run or get set up with training inside)
Only one local tri shop which is the front of an old house. Online shopping often the only supplier for tri specific gear.
2013-11-25 10:25 AM
in reply to: 0

Tri friendly in terms of pretty decent year round weather and a lot of events of varying distances but no in terms of ease of access (e.g., not having to get in a car and drive 45 minutes just to bike) to cycling and acceptance from the broader community.

Edited by tb1000 2013-11-25 10:27 AM
2013-11-25 12:06 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Originally posted by Paulford8

I would say Central I is pretty friendly. I joined a club in a town a few miles away with two other Central IL clubs I am aware of. My club puts on a great sprint, and there is a great sprint in the town I live in. Even a few OWS events with a really good Olympic not to far away. Several LBS, organized bike rides and runs. Even a couple good indoor lap pools.

Cant complain!

Central IL was tri-friendly for training. I was 5 minutes from a pool that cost $1.50/swim, could bike from my house and be on country roads in 5 minutes, and could run from my house. Four seasons, relatively low cost of living, and I was part of one of the clubs, so lots of people supporting the lifestyle. Down-side is not many races within 2 hours and a relatively short race season.

Then I moved to Utah. Decent roads for running and cycling (but I spent more time hiking). In a town of 40,000 people, there were 5 bike shops and a running store. But not much access to pools and not many races.

Now I'm in Fayetteville. Decent cost of living, lots of active people and a lot of races within 2 hours. I have to drive to ride though because traffic is concentrated on major thoroughfares with a lot of drivers unfamiliar with the roads. The only two non-military pools are $35-60/month (the one offers a daily pass for $15...). No running store and two bike shops.
2013-11-25 4:49 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
I live in CT. The lakes, close proximity to the ocean make it an ideal place to train. However most CT folks are not that friendly, mostly really not supportive of cyclist or runners either.
The CT forum on BT is very quiet as well.

2013-11-25 5:59 PM
in reply to: CarlG

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Still not too tri-friendly here. Last year I held a party for all the Saigon triathletes after a race, and I believe we had six or seven people! Better in some ways, and worse in some than last year. I guess that's what they mean by "developing country". My previous running area by the river is completely overrun in the evenings, and now usable only early AM. Traffic has gotten worse; more construction in the neighborhood = more harassment. On the plus side, there's a new, big road nearby with basically nothing on it as yet, so I have a new place to do speedwork. Six lanes wide, about 500m long, and only the occasional motorbike. I call it "the runway". We also have a new aquatics director at school who has increased the swim hours, so faculty have two lanes during HS practice and I can swim till 5:45 instead of 5. Supposedly there is a real road race here next week, with rules enforced, traffic control, prize money, the whole works. We shall see.
2013-11-25 6:32 PM
in reply to: #4715216

Not tri frendly but duathlon friendly. The local pool is always overcrowded and no ows near me.
2013-11-25 6:38 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Madison, WI here and YES!

We have about 7-8 local Pros that are VERY engaged with the local community

Many clubs/camps come here to train in the summer

Year round engagement

3 lakes downtown, plus many others around that are great for swimming

Plenty of races in town or within a 2 hour driving distance. We have 2 WTC races, 1 Rev 3 race, 2 LTF races all within 2 hours

Great swim/run coaches

Building a youth development program

A tri-specific store that is franchising

A local race series that has runs, triathlons, aquations, adventure races, etc.

Off the top of my head 5 clubs that have 25 or more members

Ironman Wisconsin

Some of the best riding in the midwest

Bike friendly roads, good bike lanes

MIles upon miles of trails paved/gravel/trail

What am I missing.....?

Edited by bcagle25 2013-11-25 6:40 PM
2013-11-26 9:00 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Signal Mountain, Tennessee
I really can't imagine a better tri-friendly locale than Chattanooga, TN. It took a while, but WTC finally figured that out by adding IM Chattanooga. We are the home of Lynskey and ABG which make Quintana Roo and Litespeed. Our local tri club is around 200 members and growing rapidly. We host the USA Cycling Professional Road & Time Trial National Championships and the USMS Open Water National Championships to name a few. We have mountains that you can climb til your hearts content on both the bike and on the run, bike and running routes that never end, river swims with lots of local pools, a thriving masters swim program, a huge running club, and a very active cycling community. We also have a moderate climate were you can train almost year around. I could go on and on, but you get the picture. If you are a true multi-sport athlete, the possibilities are endless in Chattanooga.
2013-11-26 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
No, everyone here is an ultra runner and I am an icky triathlete

2013-11-26 11:19 AM
in reply to: jillian_o

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Spokane, WA and I would say yes.

There are lots of positives in no particular order, and I know I will miss a ton.

-There are a lot of events here, or very close, like IMCDA.
-Centennial Trail with over 60 miles paved, much of which is separated class 1 and completely separate from any motor vehicles that goes from Spokane to Couer 'd Alene, Idaho. Great for cycling and running.
-Multiple local clubs
-Lots of pools and open water very close

The biggest, and maybe only, negative is.

You probably aren't OWS half the year and probably aren't cycling outside for 3-4 months of the year unless it's on a mountain bike with studded tires.
2013-11-26 11:34 AM
in reply to: jbholcom

Originally posted by jbholcom

I really can't imagine a better tri-friendly locale than Chattanooga, TN. It took a while, but WTC finally figured that out by adding IM Chattanooga. We are the home of Lynskey and ABG which make Quintana Roo and Litespeed. Our local tri club is around 200 members and growing rapidly. We host the USA Cycling Professional Road & Time Trial National Championships and the USMS Open Water National Championships to name a few. We have mountains that you can climb til your hearts content on both the bike and on the run, bike and running routes that never end, river swims with lots of local pools, a thriving masters swim program, a huge running club, and a very active cycling community. We also have a moderate climate were you can train almost year around. I could go on and on, but you get the picture. If you are a true multi-sport athlete, the possibilities are endless in Chattanooga.

I'm a big fan of Chattanooga. Nice weekend getaway city and I really like the downtown area. One of the best mid-sized cities I've been to.
2013-11-26 1:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ARLINGTON
If you're willing to put up with the heat for a couple of months, we (Dallas/Ft. Worth) really don't have a whole lot to complain about. Access to everything we need is available and close by.
2013-11-26 4:08 PM

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by yazmaster

Do you live in a 'tri-friendly locale? Just curious.

I live in asheville, NC. There are a ton of races within about an hours drive, an inaugural HIM, another HIM 2 hours away, now an Ironman 3 hours, so in that regard yes, however among locals, no. It's hard to make it through an entire ride without at least one brush with death.
2013-11-26 4:16 PM

New user
Mostly tri-friendly here in NE FL.

Lots of bike lanes and wide shoulders
Lots of places for open water swims
A few gyms for pool swims
Good places for running
Almost able to train year round
Can do at lest 4 races a year without leaving this part of FL.

The downside
Jacksonville, FL has been labeled the most dangerous city in the US for bicycles and pedestrians. Be careful out there.

Edited by 1Dude 2013-11-26 4:17 PM

2013-11-26 4:54 PM

User image

Yes and no. There are lakes everywhere here and lots of places to run. Biking is harder because the roads are not great and most don't have any shoulders to speak of. There is a friendly and helpful tri community. The weather makes it difficult. (Northern Ontario - need I say more) There are a number of pools around that have uncrowded lane swims.
2013-11-26 5:10 PM
in reply to: b2run

This is the ironic truth to my life.

I live in one of the BEST tri-friendly locales (Norcal). 

Year round cycling. Multiple triclubs. Epic outdoor riding YEAR-round (no snow). 

And yet, due to my family/work schedule, I train almost 100% solo, and in winter, almost 100% indoors by myself, so all that tri-friendly locale is meaningless. Go figure.

2013-11-26 8:11 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
I live outside of Baton Rouge, LA in an area that is very popular with riders. 19 mile loop, very little traffic, slow traffic speeds, good roads. Also very good for runners except for lack of sidewalks. Open water swim practice is a bit of work and I don't get much between events. Couple of tri clubs in the area but neither seem to be overly active but like many others I tend to train solo. But there are quite a few events within an hours drive including NOLA 70.3.
2013-11-26 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
Indeed I do! Yesterday's outside running gear: shorts, socks and shoes! So Cal rocks!
2013-11-27 7:37 AM
in reply to: Coach Gil

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
North Central IL here.

Pro's - Endless miles of good quality roads with very little traffic right out my front door
(2) pools within a reasonable distance
Great running trail 10 minutes away

Con's - Winter weather
No other Triathletes around to train with
No Multi-sport stores within a reasonable drive

Overall it works for me because I don't mind training alone. If that isn't ok with you, it would not be the place to be.

2013-11-27 9:24 AM
in reply to: TriBoilermaker

User image

New user

Amarillo
No, no, and no. Live in Amarillo, Texas the absolutely most non tri-friendly, non bike friendly, non run friendly town I have ever seen. This town just recently voted no for a new multi purpose center which would have included a 25 meter pool. Unless you are into eating and smoking and drinking beer you are considered an outcast. Every time I run I nearly get run over, every time I ride my bike people try to run over you and if they don't try to run you over they are cussing at you and throwing things at you. I would move from this appalling little town but I have a pretty good job here. So I just put up with it. We do have a really good bike shop that have very knowledgeable mechanics and staff. That is the only upside.
2013-11-27 12:34 PM
in reply to: tri in texas

User image

Tidewater, VA - Yes for run and swim; definite no for bike. I live on a national park (Yorktown Battlefield) with about 15 miles of tour roads that hardly see any cars. So the running is great. Lots of pools; I swim at an adjacent USCG 25M indoor pool at lunch (I'm CG retired) or anytime on weekends. There are a lot of neighborhood pools in the area (outdoor, summer only). The cycling is generally horrible, though. No shoulders (deep ditches), lots of traffic, little courtesy, crummy pavement. I have had several close calls; drivers spewing spandex hate. There was a cycling fatality here two months ago on my normal route. The bike shops are great, and I would join some group rides if schedule would permit, but they haven't yet.
2013-11-27 1:34 PM
in reply to: tb1000

User image

Signal Mountain, Tennessee
Originally posted by tb1000

Originally posted by jbholcom

I'm a big fan of Chattanooga. Nice weekend getaway city and I really like the downtown area. One of the best mid-sized cities I've been to.

Chattanooga has come a long way. When I moved here 20 years ago it was a crap hole, downtown anyway. Now I don't want to be anywhere else.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you live in a 'tri-friendly locale? Rss Feed  

of 3