General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you live in a 'tri-friendly locale? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-04-26 7:28 AM
in reply to: #4715216

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Do you live in a 'tri-friendly locale?
Richmond Va - yes!

Great tri-club. Multiple organizations putting on local or driveable tris. OWS opportunities in river & nearby lakes (heck only 2 hours to the ocean if you want really open water). Good local bike & running groups as well - plus get out of the "city" and there are miles of less-traveled country roads to ride. Only thing I'd wish for would be a closed bike trail...

2013-04-26 8:11 AM

User image

New user
Winchester, VA

Shenandoah Valley of VA:  I am thrilled that I have access to a cheap pool in my town and I can find lakes if I want.  Miles of rolling, rural roads in beautiful countryside makes for very nice training rides on the bike.  I look at running like you can pretty much run anywhere.

There is a good series of races in the area so I like that.  Not a very large community of triathletes but there are some (and I train alone anyway).  Close access to nice rail trails and off road trails is very nice too.  However, you get a lot of funny looks when out doing your thing.  Most people just don't understand that type of activity.  No biggie.

All in all, I think it's a very good place for tri-related stuff.

2013-04-26 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Panama City, FL- is a good Tri friendly community (mostly). There are still ignorant drivers who go out of their way to let you know they're close, but most are fine. More and more good areas to ride. Home of IMFL and other races year around. Great climate to train year round. Some of best beaches/ clear water in country for OWS. Negatives are heat/humidity in summer.
2013-04-26 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

In the same vicinity as RRH - except in the city where I have fantastic access, i think, with some drawbacks

Yes: lots of pools, large tri club in my city, running clubs, specialty bike shops (i have two right in my neighbourhood that sell high end bikes, including tri stuff), right on a great lake and have regular access to open water swimming when it's not completely frigid. Also i have good access (but you have to have the cash) to spinning studios, computrainer classes, etc. 

Also, we have two of the largest triathlon races series' in NA in our province

No: because traffic is a nightmare and outdoor riding is for the bravest of the brave - I still do it - but it kind of sucks to drive outside of the city decent riding. And crappy winter.

Edited by juniperjen 2013-04-26 8:44 AM
2013-04-26 8:47 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I would say, "sort of".

Pros:
Lots of like-minded people to train with
Tons of nearby races (tris, running, OWS, cycling)
Great LBS's and at least 5 good tri-specific shops within an hour's drive.
Central Park, Prospect Park, Hudson River Park, Coney Island beaches
Hundreds of PT's, coaches, massage therapists, etc. to choose from.

Cons:
Everything's expensive, including race entry fees
Very few good long relatively traffic-free places to ride until you get way outside the city.
Short tri season (May-September)
Local races can be crowded; popular races sell out quickly.
2013-04-26 10:23 AM

User image

Cherry Hill, NJ

I don't think so, although there is a fairly decent community of people that are into it.

All the open water in South Jersey is either private or polluted.  The shore is a little too far away for me to do regularly.  The biking is sketchy for me, I'm not as confident as most.

It's hard to get anywhere there are some closed trails.   Philly has a nice no traffic trail, but to put your bike in the car and go there is a HUGE pain in the .

Not one my first 5 choices for sure.

2013-04-26 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4716152

Atco, NJ
kdandrea - 2013-04-26 10:23 AM

I don't think so, although there is a fairly decent community of people that are into it.

All the open water in South Jersey is either private or polluted.  The shore is a little too far away for me to do regularly.  The biking is sketchy for me, I'm not as confident as most.

It's hard to get anywhere there are some closed trails.   Philly has a nice no traffic trail, but to put your bike in the car and go there is a HUGE pain in the .

Not one my first 5 choices for sure.

I'm in SJ too but as you know a bit more southeast from you.  I agree, community is decent with a fair amount of events.  Somewhat close to DE, MD, and PA events.

Roads where I'm at go on forever with little traffic if you know where you are going.  However the quality of the pavement in NJ are not always the best.

Ton of lakes around for open water swim...ocean is about 45min.  I'll use some of the lakes multiple times a week for endurance swims in the summer.  Definitely not polluted.  PM me and I'll give you the scoop.

2013-04-26 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4716240

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm not sure what's counts as tri-friendly.

I have plenty of open roads for running and biking.  Access to good pools.  And a handful of local races.  Plus I can train outside 365 days a year (if you can handle the heat).  Even some MTB trials to cross train.

I don't know if there is HUGE tri community though.

2013-04-26 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California

I would love to say so... I live in San Diego County.

Honestly, cycling on the roads out here is pretty damn treacherous.

I try to stay on the bike trail and Marine base for safety sake.

2013-04-26 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I'm in southern NH and it's pretty good  The weather is typical north-east, so you lose some outside time on the bike in the winter, but the roads in NH are typically pretty wide so running isn't an issue and there are plenty of woods and trails around.  Biking in the summer isn't bad because of the wide roads and lack of lights and stop signs.  I take a left out of my driveway and can go 8 miles without hitting a stop sign or light, then I take a right at a 3 way intersection and can go another 10 with no stopping.  Ocean is 20 minutes away but pretty cold, multiple lakes with small little beaches within 15-20 minutes.  There are a couple different Tri-clubs, including the one I'm but have yet to show up to anything for Embarassed.  Between NH, Maine, Vermont and MA you can find a triathlon every weekend from May-September less than an hour away and the ones in the mountains have some awesome scenery.
2013-04-26 11:46 AM

New user
Yes, I'm in Lakes region Nh and there are plenty of races near by(Ironman Timberman 70.3 and sprint) and many others. Great swimming in lake Winni and Laconia swim club for pool swimming nearby.The biking is good and people seem to be aware that you are on the road and very curtious, I am from Long Island Ny and Biking was tough there seemed the cars were aiming for you Wink. We have  a great Tri friendly bike shop McCycle and sports in Laconia and they are involved in a lot of the races. There are loads of hills but I kind of like that it gets you ready for the race season.

2013-04-26 11:48 AM

User image

Miami
I will say Miami is very tri friendly. Great weather year round, awesome local stores, big tri community, lots of local races, and easy access to OWS, pools, and running paths. Also, cars/drivers force you to improve your bike handling skills, otherwise you will be hit...
2013-04-26 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4715499

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam

Yep, I live in Miami. S/B/R 24/7 12 months a year in spandex and Oakleys. What's not to love?

(Oh yea, forgot to mention, we got the hottest beach buns also).Cool

Edited by spearit 2013-04-26 1:12 PM
2013-04-26 1:27 PM

Austin Texas
Yes, Austin Texas is very Tri friendly. Pretty friendly to all outdoor sports as well. Great running and bike options close to downtown, and our crown jewel, swimming in Barton Springs. Open year round, water temp is always 68', clear, clean water. The pool bottom is natural rock, has plant life, fish ect. It is surrounded by a concrete deck. 1/8 mile long. Right in downtown.
2013-04-26 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4715262

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

swgtri - 2013-04-25 2:49 PM My HOA puts on 2 adult triathlons and 2 kids triathlons a year

I did both of them last year and I plan on doing both again this year.

2013-04-27 8:34 PM
in reply to: #4716264

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Agree 100% with what Kido said. Las Vegas area is great for SBR, you just have to start your bike or run really early in the morning in the summer.

Edited by jpbis26 2013-04-27 8:36 PM

2013-04-28 12:13 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Sure do! Although Orlando doesn't have the easy ocean/gulf access as those living at the coast, we have lots of pools and lakes ( don't be afraid of the gators) and a half hour away is some great biking. In fact, the area is so good we have a lot of pros who train here. Of cours, in the summer you have to like heat and humidity!
2013-04-28 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4715243

User image

Regular
Gretna, Louisiana
Peripatetic - 2013-04-25 3:32 PM

From my Arlington, Va., home, it's an 8-minute walk to an open lane at the local high school pool and 250 yards to a 45-mile paved trail.

I almost feel obligated to tri.

I hate the trails in NoVA! Give me country roads any day of the week. I did the Washington and Old Dominion Trail and the amount of time spent dodging people and stopping at cross streets makes it hard to get into the groove. 

2013-04-29 3:41 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV

People-wise:  I don't know that Vegas is tri-friendly rather that there's tons of triathletes (i.e. non-triathletes being friendly to triathletes vs. being friendly to someone who does the same thing you do).  Big cycling scene too and now they're getting into racing.

Tons of bike shops.  Huge free group that has tons of rides.  You can find a ride every day.

Tons of places to road and mountain bike all over.  Tons of municipal pools including 50m.  Lake 30-60 mins away depending on where you live that is sectioned off.  Lots of trails (paved and otherwise) to run.

Tons of places to hike also

And if I can train through winter outside, anyone can train year-round (heat never bothers me).

2013-04-30 9:31 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Gulf Shores, Alabama

We have the Gulf of Mexico as well as numerous Bay's and a big fresh water lake to swim in. 2 great city pools.

Great long bike routes with good shoulders, decent bike lanes on the beach and a great paved trail through our state park.

So many great places to run, shaded or unshaded.

Hard to imagine a better location for tri's.

2013-11-24 9:29 PM
in reply to: poodleboy

naperville, Illinois
Originally posted by poodleboy

Yes, Austin Texas is very Tri friendly. Pretty friendly to all outdoor sports as well. Great running and bike options close to downtown, and our crown jewel, swimming in Barton Springs. Open year round, water temp is always 68', clear, clean water. The pool bottom is natural rock, has plant life, fish ect. It is surrounded by a concrete deck. 1/8 mile long. Right in downtown.

disagree that Austin is a good tri city. Boerne is much better in terms of open water swimming, bike routes that don't have a ton of traffic, and a some good/safe running places. Austin has the towne lake area, but little else (of which Barton Springs is a part) so everyone all runs in the same congested place and swims in the same congested place. Austin also has a lack of low cost tri club (DCtri club is fabulous in comparison) . Austin is terribly congested and dangerous in comparison to a lot of places - people just like to say it's a great tri city when in truth, it is not.

much better places where I have lived: San Diego, North County, St. Pete, Clermont florida, tucson, Vegas, NOVA and even Mpls. Austin is quite horrid compared to all these places -- and that's only where I have lived.

2013-11-24 10:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Kenmore, Washington
Yes! I live 1 mile north of Lake Wahington. I can practice ows in the lake, and access 25 miles of paved trails for cycling or running. This is a hilly area with several 10%+ grades to torture my legs. If only the weather was better.

Edited by pnwdan 2013-11-24 10:06 PM
2013-11-24 10:27 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I think it depends on your definition of friendly. There are several tris done right here in town so tri-friendly as a venue.

However, less than a mile from me is Specialized Bikes HQ. LOTS of riders on the road. Most are thoughtful and courteous but enough are not that cars are not always appreciative of sharing the road. Not uncommon to hear about a cyclist being hit and the driver not stopping, myself included in those who have been hit.

Also because of the huge number of pure cyclists, many tolerate triathletes but do not embrace them. On a grading scale, I would say a C-.
2013-11-24 10:53 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Tri-training heaven. Winter can be a bit chilly but it got down to 0.5C once and it made the front page of the paper. Gets too hot mid-summer but early morning training is the norm here and we get an afternoon sea breeze. Several tri clubs to choose from, great coaches and facilities. Great pools and beaches, some sharks but there are regular summer helicopter patrols up and down the coast. Beautiful river to swim in, cycle and run along the paths beside it. Huge choice of events to take part in. Ya'll should move here.
2013-11-24 11:06 PM
in reply to: daisymouse

User image

Elite
Melbourne Australia - probably can't get much more tri friendly than that.

Just enrolled my daughter into a local tri club down at the beach - three times a week for an eight year old $80 a month with one of the biggest tri clubs in Australia.

Includes a swim session each week. Very excited for her!

Of course we have our share of cars vs cyclist incidents but generally if you get out on the cycling road - Beach Road - before 10am on the weekend you'll be fine.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you live in a 'tri-friendly locale? Rss Feed  

of 3