General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stop running long on sunday ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-05-07 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: stop running long on sunday ?

hmmm...I'm one of the "old school" sat long bike and sun long run...

this guy (link below) says it's not a good idea ..what's your thoughts?

http://www.endurancenation.us/blog/training/stop-running-long-on-sunday/

2013-05-07 1:51 PM
in reply to: #4731595

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-07 1:54 PM

Veteran
Mandeville
Subject: RE: stop running long on sunday ?

The common belief is that it is not ideal for training to do them in back to back days, but what's always ideal for training is not ideal for real life.

I save my most taxing workouts on Saturday and Sunday because generally, I am more rested then and have the most recovery time to be functional for what the rest of my day holds.  Yes, I could wake up and run 16 miles before work on Thursday, but I would either have take vacation time at work or start at like 4 am, neither of which are "worth it".

Triathlon and life are about balance.  For those who have families and social responsibilities and a pretty rigid work schedule, it's certainly harder because your hours are finite and not very flexible.

2013-05-07 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4731629

Veteran
Mandeville
wgraves7582 - 2013-05-07 1:51 PM

You run on tired legs during the race so why not prepare yourself for that.  If I was marathon training I would do it differently with more emphasis on the run.

The long run is a key workout for sure, and you can benefit from doing them on fresh legs.  If you have to have long bike one day and long run the next, it doesn't hurt to mix it up sometimes and run on Saturday and ride on Sunday.

2013-05-07 2:00 PM

Regular
N=1  I used to be "old-school" also and agreed with the idea that running on tired legs would get me ready for tris.  Several seasons ago, due to scheduling issues, I switched my long run to Sat and long bike to Sun.  It has made a huge difference in how quickly I have been able to up the mileage and intensity.  Recovery after a hard weekend is also better.  Try it for a few months.

Edited by riltri 2013-05-07 2:01 PM
2013-05-07 2:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah

This is exactly how I've been doing it from basically the beginning. I don't particularly believe you get any special benefit from long bike followed by a long run the next day and I would rather separate long efforts by a few days.

Plus, I really like having a full weekend day to do nothing. Saturdays are reserved for the kids/family and sleeping in. I have plenty of time to do long runs, even long bikes often before work during the week. Sure I lose a bit of sleep but to me that is a better tradeoff than losing 1/2 or even a full day of weekend time.

2013-05-07 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4731629

Master
Houston

Not that I really have a long run right now but....

I know I tend to leave work late a lot of nights, but Friday tends to be comparetively early, plus I don't have to get up as early on Saturday (excluding a workout).

If one could do a long run (ride is less likely due to fading light) on a Friday night and do your ride on Sunday afternoon you would have about 2 days in between.

If you have to do them Sat and Sunday I would think it would be best to do the Saturday in the morning, and Sunday in the afternoon.

2013-05-07 2:32 PM

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

I have a simple reason why I plan long bike on Sat still...weather...I can always swap to run and hope Sun is better.

Running in the rain is no problem, but don't want to bike in the rain....too dangerous here.

..and...sitting on the trainer for 3 hours is not my desire.

2013-05-07 2:38 PM

Veteran
Summerfield, NC

I've done it both ways for a variety of reasons and in my experience which ever workout is done Sat. usually feels better than the Sunday workout.  I usually take an easier day Fri and Mon which seems to help with prep and recovery. 

That being said the long run Sat seems to effect the long ride Sun more than the other way around.

2013-05-07 2:40 PM

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
I run long Wednesday mornings and have two longer bikes on Sat and Sun.  Love that I made switch.

Edited by thebigb 2013-05-07 2:40 PM
2013-05-07 2:45 PM

Veteran
, Nova Scotia
I read this report in another forum a few years ago, and have followed the guidelines ever since. My workout order is now Sun - tempo/threshold ride, Mon - interval swim, Tues - interval run, Wed - long ride, Thurs - long swim, Fri - long run ( I am fortunate that my commute and work schedule mean that I can get up at 5:30, run up to 13 miles, be at work by 9), Sat - rest (aka marital bliss/honey-do day).

When I first started in endurance sports, a friend of mine (and a coach and former pro IM) always told me to stress "quality" workouts over "quantity" workouts.

I find that the swim between rides and runs refreshes my legs, so that my running workouts are productive and high quality. I have also been injury free this whole time, despite moving from sprints to Olys to my first HIM next month (and my first full marathon last year). If my legs are tired, then my running form gets sloppy, and I risk injury. If my legs are tired and I ride, it may not be as effective a workout, but my clipped-in feet keep a smooth arc around the pedal stroke.

2013-05-07 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4731762

Regular

thebigb - 2013-05-07 2:40 PM I run long Wednesday mornings and have two longer bikes on Sat and Sun.  Love that I made switch.

Good idea!!  Do you do a short run after your long rides?

2013-05-07 2:52 PM

The article assumes that you're slogging through your Sunday long run.  I don't.

2013-05-07 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4731776

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
riltri - 2013-05-07 1:47 PM

thebigb - 2013-05-07 2:40 PM I run long Wednesday mornings and have two longer bikes on Sat and Sun.  Love that I made switch.

Good idea!!  Do you do a short run after your long rides?

I tend to do a medium long run Saturday but not a run off the bike.  Typically it's placed in the evenings.

Sundays I do a short transition run off the bike, usually around 25-30 minutes just to see how things are shaking out. 

2013-05-07 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4731787

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
tri808 - 2013-05-07 2:52 PM

The article assumes that you're slogging through your Sunday long run.  I don't.

You're not getting the point if that's your takeaway.  The point is that a long run following a long bike is of less quality than if the long run was done midweek.  It's really not a debatable concept. It's basic physiology.  I understand if one has to do the long bike/long run thing on the weekends due to life/work constraints but there's absolutely no other reason to do so.  

2013-05-07 4:54 PM
in reply to: #4731911

GMAN 19030 - 2013-05-07 10:48 AM

You're not getting the point if that's your takeaway.  The point is that a long run following a long bike is of less quality than if the long run was done midweek.  It's really not a debatable concept. It's basic physiology.  I understand if one has to do the long bike/long run thing on the weekends due to life/work constraints but there's absolutely no other reason to do so.  

You're also making the assumption that my mid week workouts (2-a-days with the most intensity during the week) lends itself better to a long run than on Sunday after my Saturday long ride.

My Sunday long runs are usually at the same pace, if not faster than my mid week runs because Saturday is the only day I don't run (so my running legs have gotten a nice little break).  And the 21ish hours of rest (including an extra nap on Sat afternoon) is the most rest I get between workouts the entire week.

For those reasons...in my personal experience...I think the concept is debatable.

I would agree with the article that if you are slogging through your Sunday long runs...then you probably need to change something up.  But I don't see the point in moving *MY* long run to another day when there is no specific evidence other than a guy writing an arcticle who doesn't know me, my training schedule, or my background.

Edited by tri808 2013-05-07 4:55 PM

2013-05-07 5:09 PM
in reply to: #4732052

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
tri808 - 2013-05-07 3:54 PM

You're not getting the point if that's your takeaway.  The point is that a long run following a long bike is of less quality than if the long run was done midweek.  It's really not a debatable concept. It's basic physiology.  I understand if one has to do the long bike/long run thing on the weekends due to life/work constraints but there's absolutely no other reason to do so.  

You're also making the assumption that my mid week workouts (2-a-days with the most intensity during the week) lends itself better to a long run than on Sunday after my Saturday long ride.

My Sunday long runs are usually at the same pace, if not faster than my mid week runs because Saturday is the only day I don't run (so my running legs have gotten a nice little break).  And the 21ish hours of rest (including an extra nap on Sat afternoon) is the most rest I get between workouts the entire week.

For those reasons...in my personal experience...I think the concept is debatable.

I would agree with the article that if you are slogging through your Sunday long runs...then you probably need to change something up.  But I don't see the point in moving *MY* long run to another day when there is no specific evidence other than a guy writing an arcticle who doesn't know me, my training schedule, or my background.

Keep in mind the source of the article, EN.  IIRC their whole philosophy is train less but at higher intensity which given that parameter, I think their mid week long run makes logical sense.  I think you hit the nail on the head though, you have to figure out what works for you.  I like midweek long runs because it gives me the ability to double up on hard/long rides on the weekends and still pull a fair amount of intensity into my long run which if I were still trying to stuff it in on the weekend wouldn't work.  Plus I'd just flat run out of time too.  

2013-05-07 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4732077

thebigb - 2013-05-07 12:09 PM

I like midweek long runs because it gives me the ability to double up on hard/long rides on the weekends

During the summers when I usually end up bike racing, I also prefer doubling up on the long rides on the weekends.  But instead of moving the long run to the mid week...I just stop running. 

2013-05-07 5:31 PM

Seattle

Yeah, I think ultimately and fortunately/unfortunately (I'm not quite sure Smile) lots of different things work for lots of different people. 

I think that sometimes sounds like a cop out to say that, but it's true.

It sounds like we can agree that your long run shouldn't be a slog, and if we have the ability to rearrange our schedule so that doesn't happen, great! In fact, I think it's always good to look at different ways of structuring our training plans. Shoot, things come up, life is always changing and it's good to try new approaches every now and again.

2013-05-07 6:17 PM
in reply to: #4732077

Extreme Veteran
thebigb - 2013-05-07 5:09 PM
tri808 - 2013-05-07 3:54 PM

Keep in mind the source of the article, EN.  IIRC their whole philosophy is train less but at higher intensity which given that parameter, I think their mid week long run makes logical sense.  I think you hit the nail on the head though, you have to figure out what works for you.  I like midweek long runs because it gives me the ability to double up on hard/long rides on the weekends and still pull a fair amount of intensity into my long run which if I were still trying to stuff it in on the weekend wouldn't work.  Plus I'd just flat run out of time too.  

I think EN had brick workouts in their can plans.  Then, they got rid of them saying there is no value added to brick workouts.

2013-05-07 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4732052

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
tri808 - 2013-05-07 4:54 PM

It's not just the EN guys that share that philosophy.  Pretty much every coach worth a darn shares that philosophy.

It really isn't debatable.  You're more rested/recovered during the weekdays... pretty much regardless of intensity... than you are trying to follow up a long run after a five hour bike ride the day before.

My schedule looks like this for the week.

M: Swim, Run

T: Bike, Run

W: Bike (AM), Swim

Th: Long Run

F: Swim, Bike

Sat: Run

Sun: Long Bike

So I don't two-a-day my long run day and I don't run the day before.  I will also have 30+ hours between my last leg workout (AM bike on Wed) and my long run.  I would not have the same quality long run if it was done the day after a 4-5 hour bike ride.  Contrary to what you or anyone wants to believe - you're not running on anything remotely close to fresh legs in your scenario.  You might be successful in what you're doing but I'd submit and pretty much guarantee you'd be more successful moving your long run to midweek.

2013-05-07 6:42 PM
in reply to: #4731762

Champion
the colony texas

I think this is better.   I'd do long runs tuesay.  Then again my long runs are rarely over 90 min, so I could get that in pretty easy mid week

2013-05-07 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4732221

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Gaarryy - 2013-05-07 5:42 PM

I think this is better.   I'd do long runs tuesay.  Then again my long runs are rarely over 90 min, so I could get that in pretty easy mid week

Same here as I'm only racing HIMs this year so I doubt I'll see my long run go over 2 hours until Marathon training starts up next winter.  

2013-05-07 6:56 PM
in reply to: #4732218

GMAN 19030 - 2013-05-07 1:38 PM

It's not just the EN guys that share that philosophy.  Pretty much every coach worth a darn shares that philosophy.

It really isn't debatable.  You're more rested/recovered during the weekdays... pretty much regardless of intensity... than you are trying to follow up a long run after a five hour bike ride the day before.

My schedule looks like this for the week.

M: Swim, Run

T: Bike, Run

W: Bike (AM), Swim

Th: Long Run

F: Swim, Bike

Sat: Run

Sun: Long Bike

So I don't two-a-day my long run day and I don't run the day before.  I will also have 30+ hours between my last leg workout (AM bike on Wed) and my long run.  I would not have the same quality long run if it was done the day after a 4-5 hour bike ride.  Contrary to what you or anyone wants to believe - you're not running on anything remotely close to fresh legs in your scenario.  You might be successful in what you're doing but I'd submit and pretty much guarantee you'd be more successful moving your long run to midweek.

Can you please give me the details of my scenario.  I'd be interested to know.

ETA: And since I'm running on such trashed legs consistantly around 15-45 seconds above marathon pace, at what pace would you suggest I be running my long runs if I were to be so much more fresh?

Edited by tri808 2013-05-07 7:00 PM
2013-05-07 7:04 PM

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

I don't have many good options but to do long run and ride back to back on weekends. Due to work hours, weather, traffic, and (lack of) street lighting, they can only be safely be done on weekend mornings, unless on a treadmill or trainer. I generally do the long run on Saturday (after Friday off from S/B/R) with some intensity thrown in (tempo or fartlek) and the long bike on Sunday. Have tried it the other way but found that biking on Saturday affects the quality of my long run way more than running long/hard on Saturday affects biking. If I have to switch the workouts (if there's the chance to join a buddy or group ride on Sat., or if I'm leaving town on Sunday), the long run definitely is more of a "slog".  Monday is a swim-only day. It may not be theoretically the best way to arrange training, but it's the best I can do given the reality of my life.

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-05-07 7:05 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stop running long on sunday ? Rss Feed  

of 2