Oak Ridge, Tennessee
United States
Endurance Sports Management
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 41/57
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am, ate a Clif bar, showered, had a small amount of coffee and some water. Looked outside at the rain rain rain.
Packed up and headed on over to site, about a mile from the hotel.
Set up transition, laid down towel and had to laugh as it started getting wet straight away. I had swiped cleaner bags from the room so my stuff was in those for transition.
Event warmup:

Swim was at an outdoor pool, 100 m, wow. First time I have swam in a pool that size. The swim started at the opposite end so I swam down for my warmup. Water was cold!
Swim
  • 09m 23s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

3 lengths of the pool. I chose a pool swim tri because this was my very first event. It was very casual, they told us to discuss amongst ourselves the order of starts based on our estimated time. Once I jumped in my nervousness really subsided. I did the first two lengths and swallowed a big gulp of pool water going under the lane divider. I did the 3rd length wondering how bad chlorine is for you and thinking of all the 'debris' there must have been from the mass of kids I had seen the day prior when I scoped out the area. Climbed out, ran out of the pool area, across the parking lot and street and up a hill to transition. All of this was in the swim time so not really sure what the in pool time was.
What would you do differently?:

Push more, though I know that finesse will take experience.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

I could really improve here. Since it was raining I had my shoes in one plastic bag and the rest of my stuff in another one. I had to search around in it for socks etc rather than being able to see everything. I suppose I could have covered things with plastic then with a towel to hold that in place. I also wasted time struggling with socks.
Bike
  • 37m 23s
  • 10 miles
  • 15.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pretty happy with the bike. Since it was raining and wet I was very cautious. I wanted to get off the bike safely and I did. It was a small event and I had no trouble following the biking rules. Headed back into transition feeling pretty good, very happy to have completed my first swim and bike.

Probably nothing, I am pretty cautious by nature and I was focused on safely completing the bike portion.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

I rode in, re racked, took off helmet and put a cap on. I zipped on out of transition feeling very speedy!!

Remember to put on my race belt with my RACE number!!! Jeez
Run
  • 34m 5s
  • 2.6 miles
  • 13m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming out of transition we started immediately up a hill which I thought was very rude of them! Jogging is a pretty new thing for me so a hill renders me to almost a walk/lurch/shuffle sort of a jog. I was focusing on jogging the entire run portion of the race and I did it! It started pouring down raining during the run. Shoes and socks were squishing. I quit trying to go around puddles and just sloshed on through them. I realized during the first lap that I had forgotten my race belt during my transition. I asked a race official if I needed to go back and they were very nice about just letting me yell out my number at the finish. I was slow but very happy to finish the distance without walking.

Push more on the run but I am happy with my first effort.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked with my partner after a Big hug of congratulations! Cheered for the people still coming in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience, fitness level work in progress.

Event comments:

I had an awesome time! I started walking and biking last summer. When I signed up for this last December I had serious doubts about being able to do it. I remember wondering why in the world I thought it was something I could accomplish and what have I done???
Well I am so glad I stepped out and tried it!
On the drive home my partner said, When is Our next one???
True Love!!
I am very blessed and thrilled to be a part of this sport!

Last updated: 2012-12-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:23 | 328 yards | 02m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/57
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:23 | 10 miles | 15.95 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:05 | 02.6 miles | 13m 17s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-06-03 11:59 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Wild Rose Women's Triathlon

2013-06-04 12:46 AM
in reply to: #4765887

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Wild Rose Women's Triathlon
YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE!!! I loved it when they yelled that at my first tri. :') Congratulations, Chica! Sounds like it was a great 1st to experience. Go out and sign for another one!
2013-06-04 5:48 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
South Alabama
Great report! What is it with you and the rain? Trust me, dry races are fun too! Have enjoyed following your progress to this point and look forward to seeing you continue in the sport. Keep up the good work.
2013-06-04 7:51 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Well done! SO happy that you had such a great experience even with the rain.
2013-06-04 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4765887

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Super job. Way to get out there and have a great time playing in the rain. You are doing a great job.
2013-06-04 10:46 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Calgary, AB

Mary -- very well done!  Amazing how something you thought was a kooky idea back in December is now reality...

Can't wait to hear what you'll do for an encore  Innocent

2013-06-05 3:16 PM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Good job! I would LOVE to swim on a 100m pool (except I would probably choose a dry day)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wild Rose Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wild Rose Women's Triathlon

Started by rrobinette
Views: 653 Posts: 1

2012-06-04 8:07 AM rrobinette

Ramblin' Rose Women's Sprint Triathlon

Started by countregirl
Views: 1077 Posts: 2

2007-10-09 7:10 AM kns57

Ramblin' Rose Women's Sprint Triathlon

Started by excited2tri
Views: 1315 Posts: 4

2007-10-09 7:17 PM gygyhawk

Rose Brooks Women's Triathlon

Started by LindaKC
Views: 1614 Posts: 5

2006-08-14 6:14 PM max

Rose Brooks Women's Triathlon

Started by shepherd
Views: 1547 Posts: 4

2006-08-15 7:20 PM moenli
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2010
author : yaroslaski
comments : 9
I started training for triathlons in my early 20's but never entered one. Twenty years later found me still a newbie, with many extra pounds, much more humility and a healthy dose of reality.

date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.
date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.

date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : September 10, 2007
author : tripastor
comments : 2
Triathlon serves up many humbling moments. The most humbling of days came not during a race day but by email. I had been invited to participate in the Rambling Rose Women’s Only Triathlon. Wow.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : May 3, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
Do women inevitably gain fat with menopause? If weight gain is not due to the hormonal shifts of menopause, what does cause it?