2013-06-08 11:19 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Originally posted by spudone

I'm back.

I was on vacation all May (Europe), but now I'm gearing up for the Lake Stevens 70.3 in July, and Tahoe in September.

I just started a new job closer to home so I have a little more free time and money to train now.  Di2 is tempting me

A month in Europe sounds fun!  Where did you go and did you get to get any riding in?

2013-06-08 1:16 PM
in reply to: tri808

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by tri808 Going out for a 40ish mile easy group ride. Then I've got a bunch of errands to run...ahem...including mailing Ben out his prize for correctly predicting my HIM blow up...LOL. I'm pretty sure even with optimal pacing and effort I wouldn't have managed much better than 5:20 given the conditions so he would have won anyway.

Might be upsetting if I could remember anything about what it was! Wink

2013-06-08 3:48 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by tri808 Going out for a 40ish mile easy group ride. Then I've got a bunch of errands to run...ahem...including mailing Ben out his prize for correctly predicting my HIM blow up...LOL. I'm pretty sure even with optimal pacing and effort I wouldn't have managed much better than 5:20 given the conditions so he would have won anyway.

Might be upsetting if I could remember anything about what it was! Wink

You shouldn't remember...because I didn't say. Mostly a bunch of local snacks and goodies to fatten you up. And of course some Kona coffee.
2013-06-08 4:27 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
3 hours on the trainer - done.  I hate you Andrea!
2013-06-08 4:29 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

3 hours on the trainer - done.  I hate you Andrea!

I'd be hating myself if I did 3 hours on the trainer.
2013-06-08 4:51 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by tri808
Originally posted by axteraa 3 hours on the trainer - done.  I hate you Andrea!

It's not that bad.

2013-06-08 4:55 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

It's not that bad.

That's about how I described it to my wife.  I was expecting mental torture, I got "not that bad".  I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis though.  

2013-06-08 5:05 PM
in reply to: #4768732

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-06-08 5:50 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

It's not that bad.

That's about how I described it to my wife.  I was expecting mental torture, I got "not that bad".  I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis though.  

It would have to spitting fire from the sky, or freezing rain, for me to even get close to that.  60' on that infernal device and I'm less than pleased (until I get off the bike, and then I'm all happy).

Good on ya'!

2013-06-08 6:01 PM
in reply to: TSimone

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TSimone Yea, the 3 hour trainer ride wasn't the worst thing, but I certainly wasn't loving it either. I did a couple last year. I think for me having a movie helped. But I sure appreciate the 60-90 minute trainer rides a lot more now. Nice work Arend!

I watched episodes of MasterChef and Top Chef Canada.  For some reason I haven't stopped eating since...

2:15 run tomorrow which will be my longest run since IMMT in August.

2013-06-08 6:01 PM

It's not that bad.

I did one 3 hour trainer ride on new years day. I vowed never again. While it wasn't "that bad," it also wasn't near the type of workout I would get outdoors. I think I was trying to pace myself just to make sure I could finish instead of pushing harder during the middle 2 hours.

2013-06-08 6:29 PM

2013-06-08 6:55 PM

Payson, AZ
What all are you guys using for rim tape?  I have yet another flat on my mountain bike and I am now thinking it is the rim tape (well, I've been suspicious for a while).  part of my tape has slide it would appear and exposing part of a hole. 
2013-06-08 6:58 PM

2013-06-08 6:59 PM
in reply to: bzgl40

2013-06-08 7:07 PM
in reply to: Fred D

2013-06-08 7:11 PM

2013-06-08 7:18 PM

Master
Central Kansas

Congratulations, Melissa. Or should I just call you Doc?

Sorry you are sick, Rusty. I hope you were able to make your trip.

I am taking a rest day today and really struggling with that. Maybe yoga would make me feel like I did something today, but I really wish we had a hot tub.

2013-06-08 7:23 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TSimone One thing I've not shared with you guys in the past is that I can sometimes be a bit impulsive. So after some reading I pulled the trigger on a pair of Hokas. I think Dan's ST write up swayed me, especially when he talked about how he was dealing with the calf heart attack. Should be here Wednesday. Cautiously optimistic...

Calf heart attack?  I need to spend some time with ST, but honestly it can be a bit much (at least for me, as I don't actually make a living racing tri's).

I admit, I *might* have felt a bit of a calf twinge the first week (or three) switching to Newtons.  Now that they sent me a bigger size (had a Newton person size me at the last HM we did a couple weeks ago, and turns out I need a 12.5 not the 12's I'd ordered - BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE STORY EVER - they just sent me the right size even though it was like 5 weeks after I bought them.  No shipping charges, nothing - they just wanted me in the right size shoe.).

Not sure it was a calf MI, though.  Smile  What the heck IS that?

Matt

2013-06-08 7:38 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

2013-06-08 8:33 PM

Pro
NJ
Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by TSimoneOne thing I've not shared with you guys in the past is that I can sometimes be a bit impulsive.So after some reading I pulled the trigger on a pair of Hokas. I think Dan's ST write up swayed me, especially when he talked about how he was dealing with the calf heart attack. Should be here Wednesday. Cautiously optimistic...
. Swing by my log I've been running in them for the last 4 runs. Early, but honestly I like them a lot so far.
Fred, I'm assuming that you are trying the Hoka's to help with disc issues. Which style did you choose?

2013-06-08 9:45 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I'm in for another round.

Jason -- good to hear your legs are finally feeling better!  Hope you get registered for that TT with no issues.

Melissa -- congrats, doctor!  Now for some fun in France, huh?

Rusty -- hope the cold gets better quickly!  It's really not fair to have one in the middle of summer.

Arend -- I once did a 3+ hour trainer ride (I did it with Sufferfest's Local Hero and Blender to keep the boredom away).  I also thought, "That wasn't that bad....but I really don't want to have to do that again!"

I think we're *finally* having something of a breakthrough with my knee injury.  I'm tentatively optimistic....and it's been almost a year since I felt like I might actually get to run again.  My physical therapist has been doing Graston on me and it seems to give me a couple good days of relief.  I'm hoping that if we keep at it, that'll be the answer and I'll actually be able to get back to doing what I want to do.  I keep feeling tempted to run, but I've promised myself that I need at least a week of feeling good (and my PT's approval) before I try.  She does have a treadmill called the Alter G that can unweight you by up to 80% that she'll probably have me start on.  But nice to feel like there might actually be a light at the end of this long, dark tunnel!

2013-06-08 10:00 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Fred D Back is coming along. Hoping to race in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed.

That alone sounds like pretty good news!

2013-06-08 10:03 PM

Master
Northern IL

It's not that bad.

My bigger trainer rides tend to be a good deal of sweet spot riding. So a bunch of 20-30 min blocks at a decent effort. 

And I must be getting tired as this is how I read your response at first. Sealed

2013-06-09 12:45 AM

Ok...I'm pretty much shaking with sweaty palms right now...

I don't know how to say this subtly...so I'll just use the battering ram and bust the front door down.

I'll be racing in Kona again...in OCTOBER!!! I don't remember if I mentioned it the last two years I did Honu, but there is a lottery of 20 spots for Hawaii residents who complete Honu. 24 separate slots for Big Island residents. Third time's a charm I suppose! Another one of my training buddies got in as well, so I shouldn't be training on my own.

Oh my...I don't think I've ever gotten a better birthday present (birthday is tomorrow btw). Still can't believe it!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.