Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-06-09 4:43 AM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

Originally posted by tri808 Ok...I'm pretty much shaking with sweaty palms right now... I don't know how to say this subtly...so I'll just use the battering ram and bust the front door down. I'll be racing in Kona again...in OCTOBER!!! I don't remember if I mentioned it the last two years I did Honu, but there is a lottery of 20 spots for Hawaii residents who complete Honu. 24 separate slots for Big Island residents. Third time's a charm I suppose! Another one of my training buddies got in as well, so I shouldn't be training on my own. Oh my...I don't think I've ever gotten a better birthday present (birthday is tomorrow btw). Still can't believe it!

Holy @#$%@#^!!!!  That's amazing Jason, congratulations!

Soooooo, slight change to the training schedule? Laughing

2013-06-09 4:45 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Fred D Back is coming along. Hoping to race in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed.

That alone sounds like pretty good news!

Awesome news!

2013-06-09 4:48 AM
in reply to: bzgl40

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by bzgl40 What all are you guys using for rim tape?  I have yet another flat on my mountain bike and I am now thinking it is the rim tape (well, I've been suspicious for a while).  part of my tape has slide it would appear and exposing part of a hole. 

The only rim tape that has given me trouble is the stuff that came with my FLO wheel (that was eventually recalled).  It was a bit stretchy.  All the other stuff I have used has been some sort of cloth/nylon type of material and seems to have worked well.

but as Tom said, Stan's seems to be highly recommended as well as Veloplugs?

2013-06-09 4:53 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ligersandtions

I think we're *finally* having something of a breakthrough with my knee injury.  I'm tentatively optimistic....and it's been almost a year since I felt like I might actually get to run again.  My physical therapist has been doing Graston on me and it seems to give me a couple good days of relief. 

I'm glad to hear you are making some headway and may have found the answer!  I have to say I Googled Graston and saw some pics of the tools used.  It looks, ummm...  like it might hurt a bit!!!  

2013-06-09 5:50 AM

User image

Pro
NJ
Originally posted by tri808Ok...I'm pretty much shaking with sweaty palms right now...I don't know how to say this subtly...so I'll just use the battering ram and bust the front door down.I'll be racing in Kona again...in OCTOBER!!! I don't remember if I mentioned it the last two years I did Honu, but there is a lottery of 20 spots for Hawaii residents who complete Honu. 24 separate slots for Big Island residents. Third time's a charm I suppose! Another one of my training buddies got in as well, so I shouldn't be training on my own.Oh my...I don't think I've ever gotten a better birthday present (birthday is tomorrow btw). Still can't believe it!
Congratultions Jason!!! That is fantastic news. And, Happy Birthday!
2013-06-09 6:49 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-06-09 7:34 AM

Payson, AZ

Originally posted by tri808 Ok...I'm pretty much shaking with sweaty palms right now... I don't know how to say this subtly...so I'll just use the battering ram and bust the front door down. I'll be racing in Kona again...in OCTOBER!!! I don't remember if I mentioned it the last two years I did Honu, but there is a lottery of 20 spots for Hawaii residents who complete Honu. 24 separate slots for Big Island residents. Third time's a charm I suppose! Another one of my training buddies got in as well, so I shouldn't be training on my own. Oh my...I don't think I've ever gotten a better birthday present (birthday is tomorrow btw). Still can't believe it!

Awesome Jason.  That indeed is a great birthday gift. 

2013-06-09 8:43 AM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by axteraa

I think we're *finally* having something of a breakthrough with my knee injury.  I'm tentatively optimistic....and it's been almost a year since I felt like I might actually get to run again.  My physical therapist has been doing Graston on me and it seems to give me a couple good days of relief. 

I'm glad to hear you are making some headway and may have found the answer!  I have to say I Googled Graston and saw some pics of the tools used.  It looks, ummm...  like it might hurt a bit!!!  

Oh yeah, it's a special kind of torture!  It's a kind of torture I'm willing to endure if it's going to help me through this knee injury!

Edited by ligersandtions 2013-06-09 8:45 AM
2013-06-09 8:43 AM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

That's really cool, Jason!  Congrats!  This will be your first full IM, right?  

2013-06-09 8:44 AM

Master
Northern IL

Nice Jason! And just to make sure, you have all the forms turned in? Wink

Edited by brigby1 2013-06-09 8:44 AM
2013-06-09 8:58 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Holy @#$%@#^!!!!  That's amazing Jason, congratulations!

Soooooo, slight change to the training schedule? Laughing

I've had the training schedule ready to go the past 2 years in case I got picked...LOL. Given how they did the lottery this year (preference to those who have completed Honu and applied the past 3 years), how many spots there were (20), and how many eligible athletes (73)...I had pretty good odds. I was going to mention something earlier...but I didn't want to jinx it.

2013-06-09 9:00 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-06-09 9:08 AM

Yup...first IM.

I promised myself earlier in the week that if I got picked, I was going to throw all the time goals out the window. I'm also going to make sure that I keep my training fun. Probably a fair share of long rides on my road bike and running without looking at my garmin.

Probably the only goal I have (not seriously) is to beat Hines Ward.

Edited by tri808 2013-06-09 9:09 AM
2013-06-09 9:37 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by tri808

Yup...first IM.

I promised myself earlier in the week that if I got picked, I was going to throw all the time goals out the window. I'm also going to make sure that I keep my training fun. Probably a fair share of long rides on my road bike and running without looking at my garmin.

Probably the only goal I have (not seriously) is to beat Hines Ward.

congratulations !!

I think your idea of long rides and naked runs (as long as you get a lot of frequency) sound like a plan.
2013-06-09 10:19 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by tri808

Yup...first IM.I promised myself earlier in the week that if I got picked, I was going to throw all the time goals out the window. I'm also going to make sure that I keep my training fun. Probably a fair share of long rides on my road bike and running without looking at my garmin. Probably the only goal I have (not seriously) is to beat Hines Ward.

Oh, wow Jason - what an awesome birthday surprise! Sounds like you are going to have to bag that HIM focused mentor group you and Fred started though. I experienced something very similar a few years ago at a race on the Alabama Gulf Coast: I won a lottery slot to the "Flora-Bama Mullet Toss" which basically consists of flinging our favorite local fish as far as you can across the state line into Florida. Outside of the Talladega 500 and the Iron Bowl it is definitely the most prestigious athletic competition in the entire state. And much like Kona, it is all the better because mere mortals like ourselves are allowed to line up shoulder-to-shoulder with the true mullet-tossing champions of the sport. So I know exactly how you feel; it really is a rare and humbling honor.

Seriously, congratulations, like Fred said you really do deserve it - it could not have gone to a better guy. And all the better that you will have one of your training partners along for the ride. That part is especially cool.

2013-06-09 10:27 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
I am finally starting to feel a little better, but draining like crazy and still putting off running until tomorrow. 2 hour walk yesterday and another two hours today though, so I am trying to keep some time on my feet.

You know how the women are always raving about Lulu Lemon clothes? The wife and popped into the local store yesterday so she could grab a pair of running shorts. She walked out with a $35 pair and I walked out with about 500 bucks worth of shorts, pants, pullovers, and shirts. I had no idea they sold men's clothing.... Nice.

2013-06-09 10:53 AM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

So, are you going to do it?

Congrats!  

And as far as Hines Ward, serious or not, I'd take the bet that you'll finish first (tri is not dancing or football, where I'd have to give him the nod).  Wink

Enjoy - I hope you start an IM group so I can follow along vicariously!

Matt

2013-06-09 10:57 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Just did a ~57 mile hill ride (with a crazy climber friend who is doing b2b next weekend and is all rested - ouch!) and a 2 mile run off the bike.  The run feels a LOT different after a long ride than a shorter (25 or so) one, although the legs came back under me at about the same point they usually do - or even a half mile earlier.

I definitely need to push the cycling for Timberman, though.  Should be a fun (and brutal) couple of months!

Great weekend of training, though - got a HM in off a 30' spin and a 1.5 mile OWS yesterday and the long ride/short run today.  Wiped out, but feel great!

Off to my now 11 y.o. daughter's b-day party at a water park.  This might be tougher than the ride…  Wink

Matt

2013-06-09 2:05 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

We had a guy die of a heart attack coming out of the swim at today's race. I didn't hear about until after, but I saw the ambulance, with the gurney jus sitting there, at the end of the run. The swim bike and run all converge there in various parts of the course so I thought a biker went down. I thought te inactivity on the gurney, and the EMTs standing around, was a good sign. It wasn't. My wife usually captains that area but she was sick. Two of my good friends that are the swim coordinators watched it all go down and were pretty shaken

we get excited training and prepping for races, and race morning is so exciting. So sad to see it go down like this. -

this doesn't appear to be a course or fitness issue, calm surf, guy just finished a .5 mile swim, it was just his time I guess. I'd like to see the RD who is a good friend use this as an opportunity to encourage cardiac screenings, as this is a bye first timer race. Was my first in 2005.

everyone is a bit shaken

2013-06-09 4:58 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

I had a feeling all week that my legs wouldn't show up by this morning. I had much more soreness in the 4-6 days after Honu than normal and I had no power today. Still rode 1:02:14, but had a huge power drop off. I started conservatively just like I planned, but after 15 minutes I knew it wasn't going to happen and thank gawd I backed off because I was struggling to hold 190 watts the last 10 minutes.

I was at 252 at the turn around, and finished at 228 or something...LOL. Cardio was fine, just had soreness in my legs.

Chris...sorry to hear about the unfortunate events in your race. Condolences to the athletes family.
2013-06-09 5:49 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Pro
NJ
Originally posted by ChrisM We had a guy die of a heart attack coming out of the swim at today's race. I didn't hear about until after, but I saw the ambulance, with the gurney jus sitting there, at the end of the run. The swim bike and run all converge there in various parts of the course so I thought a biker went down. I thought te inactivity on the gurney, and the EMTs standing around, was a good sign. It wasn't. My wife usually captains that area but she was sick. Two of my good friends that are the swim coordinators watched it all go down and were pretty shaken

we get excited training and prepping for races, and race morning is so exciting. So sad to see it go down like this. -

this doesn't appear to be a course or fitness issue, calm surf, guy just finished a .5 mile swim, it was just his time I guess. I'd like to see the RD who is a good friend use this as an opportunity to encourage cardiac screenings, as this is a bye first timer race. Was my first in 2005.

everyone is a bit shaken

Chris, it's always sad to hear this type of news and must be very unsettling for everyone involved.  Obviously it's a terrible tragedy for the athlete and his family/friends but the staff/volunteers etc are no doubt feeling the effects tonight as well.  It's sad when what should be an uplifting/positive event ends this way. 

2013-06-09 8:54 PM

Master
, California
Originally posted by spudone

I'm back.

I was on vacation all May (Europe), but now I'm gearing up for the Lake Stevens 70.3 in July, and Tahoe in September.

I just started a new job closer to home so I have a little more free time and money to train now.  Di2 is tempting me

A month in Europe sounds fun!  Where did you go and did you get to get any riding in?

Kiev, a couple places in Italy, and London.  I did some occasional jogging but that was about it.  Kiev had a marathon while I was there (wasn't trained to run it though.. just spectated).  A couple pics are on my training log:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=157283&year=2013&month=5&day=31

Edit: congrats Jason!  Jealous...

Edited by spudone 2013-06-09 8:55 PM
2013-06-09 8:58 PM

Master
Central Kansas
Fantastic! Congratulations.
2013-06-09 9:01 PM

Master
Central Kansas
Originally posted by TankBoy I am finally starting to feel a little better, but draining like crazy and still putting off running until tomorrow. 2 hour walk yesterday and another two hours today though, so I am trying to keep some time on my feet.

You know how the women are always raving about Lulu Lemon clothes? The wife and popped into the local store yesterday so she could grab a pair of running shorts. She walked out with a $35 pair and I walked out with about 500 bucks worth of shorts, pants, pullovers, and shirts. I had no idea they sold men's clothing.... Nice.

Very nice. Are you sure they are men's clothing?

Edited by KansasMom 2013-06-09 9:07 PM
2013-06-09 9:05 PM

Master
Central Kansas
Originally posted by ChrisM We had a guy die of a heart attack coming out of the swim at today's race. I didn't hear about until after, but I saw the ambulance, with the gurney jus sitting there, at the end of the run. The swim bike and run all converge there in various parts of the course so I thought a biker went down. I thought te inactivity on the gurney, and the EMTs standing around, was a good sign. It wasn't. My wife usually captains that area but she was sick. Two of my good friends that are the swim coordinators watched it all go down and were pretty shaken

everyone is a bit shaken

That's very sad, Chris. I am sorry for his family and for the racers and volunteers who witnessed it.

Edited by KansasMom 2013-06-09 9:06 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.