Multisport Canada
15C / 59F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 01m 4s
Overall Rank = 202/298
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 28/30
Pre-race routine:

Woken up a bit after 5:00 by the birds chirping outside my windows. Have my usual breakfast cereal, throw the bike on the car and drive the hour out to the race. Second Law by Muse on the iPod provides appropriate pre-race soundtrack.
Event warmup:

Dash to the car to look for goggles; jog back to the race expo to buy goggles. Wrestle wetsuit on. Head to the beach and swim about a hundred yards out and a hundred yards back in, just to remember how murky the lake is.
Swim
  • 17m 46s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

Lake Niapenco looks like it was filled by the race sponsor, Chocolate Milk. At no point during the swim could you see the bottom, even in knee-deep water. If there are feet in front of you, you'll feel them long before you see them. All this leads to a bit of a stressful swim. I did get jostled around a bit, despite starting near the back, for the first 200m. Luckily (?) I can't swim a straight line, so I was quickly off course and therefore unlikely to get bumped. I weaved my way back, but since I couldn't be sure I was going in the right direction I was never able to get a comfortable rhythm going. I ended up having to sight every second stroke.

I think the swim time includes a 300m run-up to T1. Garmin had the swim at 16:26 ending before the run to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Practice sighting.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

I was pleased with this transition, even if it was a bit slow. I managed to get the wetsuit down to my waist while jogging up from the lake. The wet suit came off fairly easily once I got to my bike; it didn't snag on my heels or my timing chip, for a change. I had remembered to keep my bike in an easy gear, had my bike shoes spread wide on the ground (I don't clip them to the bike), and had minimal struggle getting socks on.

Nothing
Bike
  • 55m 26s
  • 30 kms
  • 32.19 km/hr
Comments:

I haven't been training with aero bars, so I was riding the road bike without them. I did manage to stay in the drops the whole time, except when drinking. It wasn't long into the bike ride before riders from prior waves started passing me. Still, I enjoyed the ride, passed a few slower riders, and generally just tried to hold the pace I intended to, rather than burning up. For the second half of the course, there was a woman on a pink bike holding around the same pace as me; I'd pass her on every downhill (being substantially assisted by gravity) and she'd pass me on every uphill. I do need to be more confident cornering, brake early if needed, and make sure to look to the *inside* of the corners.

Drink more evenly during the ride. I had a third of my bottle left when I got to T2.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

One of these days, I'll learn how to tie shoes. Until then, T2 will remain a challenge. That said, I felt T2 went fairly smoothly. The only hitch was the decision to gulp down the rest of the Gatorade in my bike bottle, knowing I can't drink the sports drink they serve on course. That negatively impacted my first km of the run, because it was sloshing in my stomach.

Investigate no-tie laces. Don't chug the sports drink
Run
  • 44m 4s
  • 7.5 kms
  • 05m 58s  min/km
Comments:

Within 1 km, I felt my right calf giving me trouble. This was odd, because in my 15 month running career I've never had trouble. I haven't been running a lot lately, so that might have had something to do with it. I walked the first water station without drinking, because I still had my Gatorade making me uncomfortable, but had to stop around 500 meters down the road to stretch the leg. From that point I just ran, at what my watch told me was my half-marathon pace. I probably could have pushed a little harder, but was worried about my calf giving out.
Post race
Warm down:

Hero Burger and chocolate milk. I love MSC races for the postrace food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

On the swim, the inability to keep a straight line. On the bike, fitness generally. Perhaps clipping on my aerobars would have helped, although I did manage to stay in the drops for at least as long as I would have been on the bars. Running, general lack of fitness, and caution over the possible calf injury.

Event comments:

MSC puts on good events. My only issue with this race is the venue - the murky lake is annoying to swim in.

Last updated: 2013-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:46 | 750 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/298
Performance: Below average
Suit: 19 Pipeline
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 16C / 61F Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:55:26 | 30 kms | 32.19 km/hr
Age Group: 0/30
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Gentle rolling, essentially flat on country back roads, with around 17 turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:04 | 07.5 kms | 05m 58s  min/km
Age Group: 29/30
Performance:
Course: My Garmin measured 400 meters long, as did a few other people's. Same kind of country roads as the bike; no major hills, but a couple of short rollers.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-10 11:47 AM

Regular
Toronto, ON
Subject: Binbrook Triathlon

2013-06-10 7:52 PM
in reply to: #4772091

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Binbrook Triathlon
Nice race! I was listening to Madness by the Muse! Gets you ready to race!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Binbrook Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Binbrook Triathlon - Give-It-A-Tri

Started by kausnfxx
Views: 1392 Posts: 1

2008-06-22 3:35 PM kausnfxx

Binbrook Triathlon - Give-It-A-Tri

Started by doeriga
Views: 1282 Posts: 1

2008-06-17 8:00 AM doeriga

Binbrook Triathlon

Started by Nats
Views: 1594 Posts: 3

2008-06-16 12:38 PM tritwinmom

Binbrook Triathlon

Started by patricia7
Views: 1610 Posts: 2

2007-06-18 10:46 AM geoffs

Binbrook Triathlon/Duathlon & Give-It-A-Tri

Started by caius
Views: 2814 Posts: 4

2006-06-21 8:36 PM newadventures
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon