General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming out in Aug. to ride IMAZ course - Need advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-11 7:40 PM

User image

Subject: Coming out in Aug. to ride IMAZ course - Need advice
Hi Arizonans,

I'll be coming out for a weekend in August specifically to familiarize myself with the bike course (also the run) but I have a few questions:

Is the IMAZ course a regular cycling route for people
What do you do in the summer heat? Ride at dawn/dusk or are you guys just used to the heat.
Any recommendations for a cycle shop that rents road bikes. I see one in Tempe that does but I trust BT

Any other advice is welcome. Thanks!!!!

Keba

Edited by KebaNYC 2013-06-11 7:40 PM

2013-06-11 7:45 PM
in reply to: KebaNYC

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Coming out in Aug. to ride IMAZ course - Need advice
The Beeline is a pretty popular cycling route. Definitely need to be rolling at the crack of dawn that time of the year in order to beat some of the heat. No clue on who rents roadies but I'd start with Tribe and go from there.
2013-06-11 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
August - yeah, crack of dawn and take a lot of water too, plus look for places that you can get water en-route.

I know that Tempe Bicycle rent out Giant Defy 1 Al road bikes: http://tempebicycle.com/articles/rental-info-pg62.htm
Bike Cellar in Tempe also have a couple of road bikes for rent: http://www.thebicyclecellar.com/rentals/

Tribe and Triple Sports in Scottsdale (triathlon shops) may rent as well, but I seem to remember that they don't.

Good luck and enjoy the (dry) heat.
2013-06-12 8:58 AM
in reply to: wartho

User image

New user
Wheels down before the crack of dawn in August. Have plenty of fluid before/during/after the workout. Go slower than normal as the heat will take a lot out of you. Wear plenty of sunblock.
2013-06-12 11:27 AM
in reply to: JKLipsky

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
One thing to note, when riding the Beeline you can always wheel off in Fountain Hills for fluid/nutrition refills.
2013-06-12 3:08 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Originally posted by thebigb

One thing to note, when riding the Beeline you can always wheel off in Fountain Hills for fluid/nutrition refills.

Is fountain Hills a neighborhood? Something I will see along the way or that I need to head off the main drag.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm looking forward to the trip and i'm going to buy the tickets today. Hopefully I don't end up a dried up skeleton along the route.

Keba

2013-06-12 3:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Phoenix AZ

Is fountain Hills a neighborhood? Something I will see along the way or that I need to head off the main drag.

FH is a town right off of the Beeline at Shea. Yes, you'll see it to your left as you head up. There are gas stations right off of the Beeline at Shea in FH and even one of those scandalous espresso bars where the girls wear lingerie to make your coffee (not that I would know anything about that).

Edited by Bunsbert Montcroff 2013-06-12 3:25 PM
2013-06-12 4:35 PM

User image

My .02 simply from having done the course...  everything but the Beeline is basically flat city riding with a couple exceptions, and unelss they've improved the roads a few areas with no or little shoulder.  If it were me (and I know it's not  ) I'd drive the course and ride the Beeline.

Edited by ChrisM 2013-06-12 4:35 PM
2013-06-13 9:51 AM

Scottsdale, AZ
Another good place to rent a bike (although in N. Scottsdale) is Arizona Outback Adventures - http://www.aoa-adventures.com

My Father in law always rents from them when he is in town. Really nice folks and very helpful!

The Beeline is a great training route! Just make sure you have extra tubes/CO2...seems like riding the Beeline is an invitation for a flat!
As everyone else said...lots of water, start early and enjoy your stay!
2013-06-13 1:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ
Bring plenty of spare tubes. The Beeline is HORRIBLE for flats. There's every type of road furniture known to man and you'll be 80% guaranteed to flat. Bring lots of water, like the others have said you could pull up a wee bit onto Shea Blvd and get water at the Circle K or whatever it is. Bring your cell phone (duh).

I would start as soon as you can see, the earlier the better.
2013-06-17 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Most of the important stuff has already been said, but here is my input:

- IM AZ bike course is very flat, so it is not technically challenging
- If you want to ride the entire loop, park on Rio Salado at Packard Drive (north lot) - this will give you the opportunity to run the course without moving your vehicle as well
- In my opinion, it is not necessary to ride the Tempe portion of the course - there is no bike lane along McKellips in either direction, so why take the risk?
- For a good ride with half of the course, park at McDowell and Beeline Hwy at the gas station, and ride up to Shea. For a better workout, continue past Shea another 11 miles (uphill) and turn around at Bush Hwy. NOTE: Beeline north of Shea to Bush Hwy IS NOT part of the IM AZ course, but it is similar conditions to the rest of Beeline (which you will also be riding), and will give you a better workout.
- I would recommend only riding in the morning. In August, it stays light out until 8:30ish, but it is also still high 90's and into the 100's. If you go out at first light, you should at least get some 80's in there for an hour or so. Besides, that is when the rest of us ride, so you will not be alone on the course.
- Lots of Water, Water, Water, Water, Water, salt tabs help most people as well with the sodium loss
- If you choose to run after your ride, park in the lot menioned previously (unless you parked and rode from there). It is about .4mi along the lake from transition and the Run Out, and is part of the run course so you can start your run loop from there
- If your workout takes you to 10:00 or later, make sure you have easy post-workout access to ice and cold fluids to bring your body temp back down

Have fun, many of us are out on Beeline quite often, so I am sure you will see some of us out there.

2013-06-17 4:02 PM
in reply to: 101abp40

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Being stuck in this horrible weather and knowing how easy the bike course is, I would recommend you save your money and stay home. I know I sound like a jerk but I don't know how else to put it. This heat just isn't worth the hassle...

If you do come out, make sure you ride with someone who knows the area. You'll NEED to know where you can expect water/nutrition if you're struggling and also help with flats. The last time I rode the Beeline, the person I was riding with got 3 flats. He would have been screwed if he was by himself (only had 2 spare tubes).
2013-06-17 11:24 PM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

Veteran
Or bag the IMAZ course completely and come out to Pecos Rd. It's nicely (read slightly) hilly, nice bike lane, and a lot of fellow cyclists training.
2013-07-22 9:19 AM
in reply to: 101abp40

User image

Originally posted by 101abp40

Most of the important stuff has already been said, but here is my input:

- For a good ride with half of the course, park at McDowell and Beeline Hwy at the gas station, and ride up to Shea. For a better workout, continue past Shea another 11 miles (uphill) and turn around at Bush Hwy. NOTE: Beeline north of Shea to Bush Hwy IS NOT part of the IM AZ course, but it is similar conditions to the rest of Beeline (which you will also be riding), and will give you a better workout.
-
Have fun, many of us are out on Beeline quite often, so I am sure you will see some of us out there.

Thanks everyone for all the good tips.

I know that the course is not overly challenging and probably a lot flatter than what I am used to but I need to actually ride it for my own mental sanity. I am coming out next week so hopefully the weather is welcoming. My plan is to stay at a hotel near the transition area, maybe Mission Palms and ride the entire course Saturday morning. I figure the Tempe portion should be lightly trafficked at sunrise and I'll ride the entire course. Alternatively I will park at the gas station but if I park there am I going to have a problem with getting towed/ ticketed or does that only happen here in NJ? I know here (NJ) any place where bikers like to park, even public streets get regulated to the point that you need a permit to park there.

I will certainly bring extra tubes, patch kit, pump, CO2 and water.

Keba
2013-07-22 10:05 AM

User image

Chandler, AZ
My opinion:

I rode this route so many times last year. I had flats on only 2 of the rides. Yes, there is junk on the Beeline but most is easily avoidable. We (2 - 3 others usually) started in the dark with lights. We typically had our first lap completed by dawn - we always parked at the store @ Beeline & McDowell. Although we completed the entire route our first lap was a bit different since we started from JRs store. There are always cars parked there for riding. I don't know of anyone being towed - most of us will buy something at the store. McKellips is not well maintained so expect potholes.

There will be others riding the route so you won't be alone!
2013-07-22 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
If you ride on Saturday (7/28), the ONE Multisport group will be around mile marker 189 at 0500 cleaning up the northbound side of Beeline (it is our sponsored highway mile).

2013-08-09 4:19 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

My .02 simply from having done the course...  everything but the Beeline is basically flat city riding with a couple exceptions, and unelss they've improved the roads a few areas with no or little shoulder.  If it were me (and I know it's not  ) I'd drive the course and ride the Beeline.

I just got here this afternoon and after a mandatory stop at In-n-Out Burger I drove the entire bike course. I agree that there is little value to driving the other streets but I'm going to try to get at least a few loops on the Bee Line between the gas station and the turn around at Shea first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks again for all the good advice.

Keba
2013-08-11 10:11 AM

Scottsdale, AZ
Hope you enjoy the ride! It can be quite pretty if conditions are right...and as long as you get past the foul odors of the landfill quick enough :-)! Wind can either be your friend or foe on this route, but you should have a good day today! Enjoy the heat and let us know how it goes!
2013-08-11 3:29 PM

User image

Originally posted by runspingirl

Hope you enjoy the ride! It can be quite pretty if conditions are right...and as long as you get past the foul odors of the landfill quick enough :-)! Wind can either be your friend or foe on this route, but you should have a good day today! Enjoy the heat and let us know how it goes!

I thought the ride was great and well worth it. The early morning weather was comfortable and the sunrise was spectacular. I'm sure when you see that all the time it gets boring but to me it was amazing. I was at the gas station before dawn and saw a lot of other riders there getting ready. I did two loops from the gas station to the turn around at Shea. I would have gone for a third but the rental bike was uncomfortable and the cranks were squealing like crazy the entire time which drove me crazy. I guess I was a little delusional thinking the bike shop would spend more than 28 seconds getting it ready to ride. No flats, no problem with the landfill (I just thought it was a dead animal) and the only thing that freaked me out a little was the sound of the cars going over the canal bridge about half way up. Can't wait to ride it again in November. I just wish the other half of the course was a little more rider friendly.

Keba

Edited by KebaNYC 2013-08-11 3:31 PM

(AZ.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
AZ.jpg (77KB - 24 downloads)
2013-08-18 1:17 PM

User image

HA... that noise when you first hear it you think your death is just a second away!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming out in Aug. to ride IMAZ course - Need advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Questions RE: IMAZ course

Started by dieathlon
Views: 1388 Posts: 7

2011-05-28 7:42 PM dieathlon

IMAZ 2010 bike course

Started by kalumbaugh
Views: 2192 Posts: 7

2010-11-23 12:02 PM StandsWithFist

thought I saw an ESCKTC jersey on the IMAZ course today

Started by Fitzy
Views: 944 Posts: 1

2009-10-31 2:42 PM Fitzy

IMAZ course

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 894 Posts: 4

2008-10-28 10:42 PM jldicarlo

IMAZ Captain needed

Started by perkins_jerryw
Views: 864 Posts: 8

2008-07-29 1:41 PM perkins_jerryw
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : November 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Sleep is one of your answers to keep the doctor away. But how much is enough sleep? We'll discuss the benefits of getting a proper amount of sleep and the risks of not getting enough.
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout