General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you think about beer as an "after"? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-06-13 11:46 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: What do you think about beer as an "after"?
Originally posted by mehaner
Originally posted by lisac957
Originally posted by tlancer23

Originally posted by erik.norgaard
Originally posted by VGT
Originally posted by erik.norgaard I must admit that I'm a bit offended when races have breweries sponsoring the event, I think that alcohol shouldn't be linked with sports.
Why not? I find that to be a little absurd. We're adults, and we train extremely hard and balance life in the process. To suggest that we cannot also responsibly consume alcohol is a bit short-sighted.
OK, I'm European, we have different view of nudging over here. But: It's not just about you having a beer after a race, there's a difference between having it for you to buy in the bar and sponsoring a sports event. It's about associating sports, exercise, active and healthy lifestyle with alcohol. It sends a signal to the next generation that drinking is part of a healthy lifestyle. It is not. IMHO, breweries should let their alcohol free beers sponsor these events to promote these alternatives.
Does Jager count? Just kidding. Alcohol still dehydrates the body right? Personally, with the exception of an occasional Bloody Mary with dinner I do not drink at all because of the negative health and lifestyle consequences. I don't see many alcoholics succeeding in life, much less athletics, so yes I agree with Erik, I think it sends a bad message. Alcohol ruins many lives, folks. I think the difference between beer sponsors and Taco Bell is that a Nachos Bell Grande does not carry endless legislation regulating its distribution and consumption, nor the criminal liabilities and negative social sanctions involved in irresponsible product usage.

uhhhh....there are lots of people that have a beer after a run that aren't alcoholics.  what a broad brush we have.

You are the one making the assumption that a beer equates to an alcoholic, not me. No need to feel defensive... unless you consider yourself an alcoholic.

Sorry but your quote (bolded) jumped from having one drink to alcoholism. The way I read it, you were the one who made that connection.

thanks - i knew i wasn't crazy.

Nope, not crazy.  That's how I read it too, though I was distracted a bit by "Bloody Mary with dinner".

2013-06-13 11:46 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by VGT
Originally posted by erik.norgaard I must admit that I'm a bit offended when races have breweries sponsoring the event, I think that alcohol shouldn't be linked with sports.
Why not? I find that to be a little absurd. We're adults, and we train extremely hard and balance life in the process. To suggest that we cannot also responsibly consume alcohol is a bit short-sighted.
OK, I'm European, we have different view of nudging over here. But: It's not just about you having a beer after a race, there's a difference between having it for you to buy in the bar and sponsoring a sports event. It's about associating sports, exercise, active and healthy lifestyle with alcohol. It sends a signal to the next generation that drinking is part of a healthy lifestyle. It is not. IMHO, breweries should let their alcohol free beers sponsor these events to promote these alternatives.
Does Jager count? Just kidding. Alcohol still dehydrates the body right? Personally, with the exception of an occasional Bloody Mary with dinner I do not drink at all because of the negative health and lifestyle consequences. I don't see many alcoholics succeeding in life, much less athletics, so yes I agree with Erik, I think it sends a bad message. Alcohol ruins many lives, folks. I think the difference between beer sponsors and Taco Bell is that a Nachos Bell Grande does not carry endless legislation regulating its distribution and consumption, nor the criminal liabilities and negative social sanctions involved in irresponsible product usage.

uhhhh....there are lots of people that have a beer after a run that aren't alcoholics.  what a broad brush we have.

You are the one making the assumption that a beer equates to an alcoholic, not me. No need to feel defensive... unless you consider yourself an alcoholic.

Sorry but your quote (bolded) jumped from having one drink to alcoholism. The way I read it, you were the one who made that connection.

Nope, not crazy.  That's how I read it too, though I was distracted a bit by "Bloody Mary with dinner".

i know - i've never had one later than brunch!

2013-06-13 11:49 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by VGT

That's because alcoholics drink bloodies past noon.
2013-06-13 11:52 AM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by thebigb

Originally posted by VGT

Crying laughing!

2013-06-13 12:01 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Canyon, Texas

Originally posted by VGT

I apologize for the confusion, in my defense, I did start a new paragraph to separate the ideas, additionally, I also used a qualifier to prevent over-generalization. I admitted to having one occasional drink, I don't think that makes me or anyone an alcoholic.
2013-06-13 12:38 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

Originally posted by erik.norgaard OK, I'm European, we have different view of nudging over here. But: It's not just about you having a beer after a race, there's a difference between having it for you to buy in the bar and sponsoring a sports event. It's about associating sports, exercise, active and healthy lifestyle with alcohol. It sends a signal to the next generation that drinking is part of a healthy lifestyle. It is not. IMHO, breweries should let their alcohol free beers sponsor these events to promote these alternatives.

Super interesting perspective.

All though I disagree with the bolded.

OK, loads of replies on my view. Well, I think the power of marketing is grossly underestimated. There are loads of studies of these things.

There's a reason the candy is placed next to the counter in the supermarket. Guess what: They sell more. A supermarket tried to nudge customers to consume fruit instead and placed a selection of ready to eat fruit next to the counter. Guess what: Fruit was up and candy down! Nobody forces it down your throat, but nudging can help people make the healthy choices. Companies nudges you all the time towards making certain choices, they just never think about you or your health, such as when they ask you if you want a large X. Fact is that our ability to always make the conscious, responsible choice is vastly overrated.

Currently there is a growing awareness of healthy lifestyle, diet and exercise. When breweries and liquor companies sponsor events related to a healthy lifestyle, it's not just about displaying their brand it's about piggy bagging on the lifestyle and become an integral part of it. Guess what: It works. Problem is that there is no evidence that alcohol consumption has any positive effect on your health.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting to take away your post-race beer, I too enjoy a beer every so often. I just don't think alcohol should be associated with sports (and much less so with motor sports) and a healthy lifestyle.

2013-06-13 2:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by erik.norgaard OK, I'm European, we have different view of nudging over here. But: It's not just about you having a beer after a race, there's a difference between having it for you to buy in the bar and sponsoring a sports event. It's about associating sports, exercise, active and healthy lifestyle with alcohol. It sends a signal to the next generation that drinking is part of a healthy lifestyle. It is not. IMHO, breweries should let their alcohol free beers sponsor these events to promote these alternatives.

Super interesting perspective.

All though I disagree with the bolded.

OK, loads of replies on my view. Well, I think the power of marketing is grossly underestimated. There are loads of studies of these things. There's a reason the candy is placed next to the counter in the supermarket. Guess what: They sell more. A supermarket tried to nudge customers to consume fruit instead and placed a selection of ready to eat fruit next to the counter. Guess what: Fruit was up and candy down! Nobody forces it down your throat, but nudging can help people make the healthy choices. Companies nudges you all the time towards making certain choices, they just never think about you or your health, such as when they ask you if you want a large X. Fact is that our ability to always make the conscious, responsible choice is vastly overrated. Currently there is a growing awareness of healthy lifestyle, diet and exercise. When breweries and liquor companies sponsor events related to a healthy lifestyle, it's not just about displaying their brand it's about piggy bagging on the lifestyle and become an integral part of it. Guess what: It works. Problem is that there is no evidence that alcohol consumption has any positive effect on your health. Anyway, I'm not suggesting to take away your post-race beer, I too enjoy a beer every so often. I just don't think alcohol should be associated with sports (and much less so with motor sports) and a healthy lifestyle.

You make a rather large jump from suggestive sales at the grocery store to sponsorship banners at a race...

Now if a person suffering from alcohol related issues runs a race and feels anxiety as they walk past the beer tent I agree that would be difficult....However I don't believe you penalize the whole for the few...

And similar to what TheBigB said in an earlier post, I cringe when I see the sheer size of many people walking in and out of Taco Bell (insert any fast food place really) however a Taco Bell branded event doesn't change my thinking of fast food...

Edited by TriMike 2013-06-13 2:10 PM
2013-06-13 2:25 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Pro

I have coffee until 2 pm.  I have water until I'm done with the day's workout.  I have beer until I go to bed.  I wake up and I start over.

I don't count how many beers anymore than I count how many waters or coffees.  I don't know which of the three makes me faster or slower, easier or harder to recover with, or any other effect on my triathlon/endurance hobby that I've had for 30 years.

I could be an alcoholic, a caffiene junky, an adrenaline junky, or just a guy who doesn't try to overanalyze a good time and a lifestyle that has given me nothing but enjoyment, and now a way to keep spending time with my children as they become teenagers and young adults.

I'm partial to Sierra Nevada products......Ruthless Rye IPA is excellent.  Torpedo IPA at nearly 9% is fantastic.....but I once had too many and got lost in my own home trying to find the bathroom.

2013-06-13 2:31 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by Left Brain

I have coffee until 2 pm.  I have water until I'm done with the day's workout.  I have beer until I go to bed.  I wake up and I start over.

I don't count how many beers anymore than I count how many waters or coffees.  I don't know which of the three makes me faster or slower, easier or harder to recover with, or any other effect on my triathlon/endurance hobby that I've had for 30 years.

I could be an alcoholic, a caffiene junky, an adrenaline junky, or just a guy who doesn't try to overanalyze a good time and a lifestyle that has given me nothing but enjoyment, and now a way to keep spending time with my children as they become teenagers and young adults.

I'm partial to Sierra Nevada products......Ruthless Rye IPA is excellent.  Torpedo IPA at nearly 9% is fantastic.....but I once had too many and got lost in my own home trying to find the bathroom.

Three cheers!

I'll take an Ommegang now please.
2013-06-13 2:40 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Originally posted by MOlsen

Originally posted by Goosedog The answer is IPA. Founders, Stone, Lagunitas, Bells, Dogfish, Avery and/or Birdsong (local, awesome!).

The answer is indeed IPA!

So far my "after race" tradition has been Racer 5 IPA.

OOOH. There is a an IPA caled Race 5?? I gotta gets me sum a dat!!

And yes, I believe a beer is the perfect end to a long training day, sitting on the deck, watching the kids play catch, run around on the playset, play tag, etc. Is it a prooven physical recovery aide?? I have no idea and frankly I don't care!! I will tell you in my own lab (see start of paragraph) that I have tested the mental recovery effects and it is a 100% awesome!

2013-06-13 2:51 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Expert

Originally posted by VGT

Crying laughing!

I just felt that this Quote was stalling and needed another one.

2013-06-13 3:20 PM

User image

Beer is an integral part of my training program and I always treat myself to an excess amount after a big race, marathon or longer distance. It sure helps ease the pain that afternoon and evening.
2013-06-13 3:56 PM
in reply to: TrBeau17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by TrBeau17
Originally posted by cnseguraAdd me to the Yes demographic. I'm just now starting to get into home brewing so I imagine there will be a fair amount of experimenting with what beer is best for recovery and as a pre-race boost (I have a feeling that last one will take some time)
Homebrewing for 4 years now and be careful the hobby is just as addicting as tri !! They are both rewarding in their own way.
OT ......... is there an equivalent website to BT for your other addiction? I just bought a basic homebrew kit
2013-06-13 3:59 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

Originally posted by ejshowers

I usually work out right after work, so beer is my recovery drink of choice while I sit in my hot tub and contemplate what wine I am going to have with dinner

Train, Beer, Hot Tubbing...how does it get better?
2013-06-13 4:12 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Originally posted by VGT

Crying laughing!

tlancer, you may be surprised how successful many alcoholics are in life, especially if you define it by commonly held clinical definitions- occasionally drink to intoxication/binge drink, daily drinking, etc. Interesting that there are not a lot of recovering alcoholics chiming in on this thread (at least that are identifying themselves as such). Similarly interesting that no one is willing to admit to occasionally drinking more than 1-2 except LB and me
2013-06-13 4:16 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by rdailey1

Originally posted by VGT

Crying laughing!

tlancer, you may be surprised how successful many alcoholics are in life, especially if you define it by commonly held clinical definitions- occasionally drink to intoxication/binge drink, daily drinking, etc. Interesting that there are not a lot of recovering alcoholics chiming in on this thread (at least that are identifying themselves as such). Similarly interesting that no one is willing to admit to occasionally drinking more than 1-2 except LB and me

I think I admitted...Hello, my name is Thebigb and I freaking love beer although I've given it up for the next 8 weeks while I finish my dive into racing weight

2013-06-13 4:19 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by rdailey1

Originally posted by VGT

Crying laughing!

I think I admitted...Hello, my name is Thebigb and I freaking love beer although I've given it up for the next 8 weeks while I finish my dive into racing weight

I may not have admitted but I certainly inferred. I like beer. I like it alot.
Oh, and Mojitos (sp??) They are great too!

2013-06-13 4:22 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Good time of the year for those and what kind of discussion would it be without tossing in my favorite non beer drink, the old fashioned.
2013-06-13 4:26 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
I have self-identified as a "functioning alcoholic" in another thread. I don't often drink to excess, but I drink often, I have a habit of enjoying alcohol and I'm not willing to give it up. I think by "technical" definitions that makes me an alcoholic. I guess I'm stuck on step one.
2013-06-13 4:28 PM

User image

Expert

Good time of the year for those and what kind of discussion would it be without tossing in my favorite non beer drink, the old fashioned.

I used to make old fashioneds when I bartended. The most challenging part is how many dashes of Bitters do you do? Most recipies say 2. I liked to make it with at least three and a little extra sugar with the Cherry / Orange slice mash. And of course, an Old Fashioned is certainly not an Old Fashioned if not made with Maker's Mark!!
2013-06-13 4:37 PM

User image

Regular
I like beer and will have a couple after a hard day working out. I know that it probably isn't the best thing for recovery but oh well, it isn't like I am an elite age grouper or a pro so I don't care as much about the recovery as the taste of a nice cold beer.

But with IMCDA coming up I have cut back and haven't had a beer in 4 days . I know I'll have a couple over the weekend more than likely and will have one next Thursday night for dinner after my wife's college graduation. It will be a Batch19 which is unfortunate considering Mac & Jacks African Amber is so far my all time favorite.

2013-06-13 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I used to make old fashioneds when I bartended. The most challenging part is how many dashes of Bitters do you do? Most recipies say 2. I liked to make it with at least three and a little extra sugar with the Cherry / Orange slice mash. And of course, an Old Fashioned is certainly not an Old Fashioned if not made with Maker's Mark!!

3 dashes angostura, 1 dash orange, just an orange peel garnish please. Dangit, that leads right into the Sazerac, my second most liked. What time is it?
2013-06-13 4:58 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I love reading these type of  threads and love seeing how passionately people defend their beer and alcohol!
2013-06-13 5:04 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Originally posted by spie34

I like beer and will have a couple after a hard day working out. I know that it probably isn't the best thing for recovery but oh well, it isn't like I am an elite age grouper or a pro so I don't care as much about the recovery as the taste of a nice cold beer.

But with IMCDA coming up I have cut back and haven't had a beer in 4 days . I know I'll have a couple over the weekend more than likely and will have one next Thursday night for dinner after my wife's college graduation. It will be a Batch19 which is unfortunate considering Mac & Jacks African Amber is so far my all time favorite.

Mmmmm Mac and Jacks... durn tasty stuff!
2013-06-13 5:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Well, I'd like to start by saying that I don't believe running/tri/sport and drinking are mutually exclusive.

Sure, if you drink too much too often, it's bad for you running or triathlon (for some very specific reasons) and more than likely, bad for your quality of life in general. But I am guessing that most people believe the fun aspect of drinking outweighs any of the negative impacts and/or drink in such a way that those negative impacts are very minimal. 

I'm a big believer in moderation in all things (except maybe running?) and that includes alcohol. 

I don't, however, see beer as something that speeds recovery or anything, as much as I would love for that to be the case. Smile

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-06-13 5:33 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you think about beer as an "after"? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

thinking of doing my half need advice

Started by kan7829
Views: 753 Posts: 5

2011-05-11 9:18 AM pharmacist25

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1664 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Thinking of doing an Exterra Sprint Tri in Vegas

Started by kmodzel
Views: 1360 Posts: 5

2009-04-06 5:07 AM kmodzel

Thinking about doing my first TRI - thoughts/help?

Started by muzzo
Views: 1214 Posts: 12

2008-03-19 9:47 PM browntown

Thinking of doing 1 or 2 5k runs in July

Started by EABonney
Views: 1307 Posts: 7

2007-05-21 10:06 AM EABonney
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.
date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.

date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"