View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Francisco, California
United States
Total Time = 2h 04m 23s
Overall Rank = 1229/3102
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 206/631
Pre-race routine:

I slept about five hours the night before, which is pretty good for me. Drank some iced coffee and ate a peanut butter sandwich on the bus ride to the start. Got to the start about an hour early and hung out watching/cheering for the full marathon runners, who were at 13ish miles. It was super cold at the start so I waited until about 10 minutes before my wave was set to go before I checked my bag.

Security was really weird. I had my bag checked three times as I wandered between the bus drop-off and the area where we could watch the marathoners, but there was literally no security at the actual half marathon start. It wasn't a big deal at all, just confusing.
Event warmup:

Nothing. I decided to start with my arm warmers because I was so cold, and went off to join wave 2. I was feeling pretty good -- eager to get started, not too nervous, energized by the crowd and the music.
Run
  • 2h 04m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't have real clear goals for this race, although I was hoping for a PR, and thinking I could probably come in around 1:55 at least. I thought a PR kind of unlikely, but then, I wasn't expecting to PR the same race last year. My training leading up to this race was very similar to last year and I've been feeling good lately.

The first mile was fine, but things starting feeling off pretty early. Maybe even mile 2? I can't quite remember. I know that by mile 3 or 4 I felt like I was working way too hard for the pace that was popping up on the Garmin. I was looking at 8:45s/9s and feeling *rough*. (Whereas last year, I remember glancing at the Garmin repeatedly and being shocked to see 8:30s and feeling like I was just jogging along.) The middle miles I felt tired and a little nauseated and blah. I skipped the Shot Blok I'd been planning for mile 5 because my stomach wasn't interested; I did manage to get them down at mile 8 and mile 11, at least. The last few miles, when I'd given up on my time and was just looking to finish, my 10-minute-mile pace was a chore.

It definitely wasn't my legs slowing me down. The day after, I'm barely sore. I felt like I spent most of this race *over* it. Like I just didn't want to be out there. The same was true for Oakland in March. I'm just in a weird race slump. At least I'm still enjoying the training, and the last two trail races have been a blast (albeit not good races for me either).
What would you do differently?:

I don't know. I didn't eat *great* the night before this race, so I guess that's something I can improve. But otherwise I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
Post race
Warm down:

I quickly downed a bottle of water and drank half of a small bottle of chocolate milk (it was way too sweet and really gross). I met up with Annie and Michael, who made me *awesome* signs and cheered me at the finish, and then we tracked down my mom and dad, who got delayed trying to manage BART. We walked the four or five blocks to my car and went to delicious brunch.

(For what it's worth, as grumpy/disappointed as I am here, I wasn't a total cranky-pants about my dumb race. It's just a race! And I have the most amazing friends and family and so much to be happy about.)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No clue.

Event comments:

I have nothing but good things to say about SF Marathon. I love the race and am looking forward to doing the full marathon one of these years.

Last updated: 2013-06-10 12:00 AM
Running
02:04:23 | 13.1 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 206/631
Overall: 1229/3102
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-17 7:33 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Subject: San Francisco Half Marathon

2013-06-18 6:38 AM
in reply to: #4779206

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: San Francisco Half Marathon

Hard to race when the feeling of being "just over it" starts so early in the day.  

Good job pushing through  to finish.  Chalk it up to a bad day and keep running for the love of it--maybe not race for a while??  See if the love of the race comes back.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Francisco Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

San Francisco Half Marathon

Started by goran007
Views: 1009 Posts: 1

2007-06-08 10:44 AM goran007

Started by enginerd
Views: 1976 Posts: 9

2007-02-07 7:41 PM betyoursilver

Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon

Started by AbbieR
Views: 2487 Posts: 4

2007-02-06 8:05 AM enginerd

Started by cdom
Views: 1640 Posts: 8

2008-02-03 2:46 PM cdom

Started by wieczynski
Views: 1982 Posts: 8

2007-02-07 7:38 PM betyoursilver
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.