REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 30m 48s
Overall Rank = 18/573
Age Group = 44
Age Group Rank = 26/88
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30 to apply tattoos, eat toast/banana and work out the plumbing. Applied a hand tattoo the night before and knew I'd be too sticky if I applied them all. Left Kingsmill at 4:10 and it was a deluge. Pouring rain and windy. Was holding out hope for wetsuit legal, but the crazy weather was not part of the calculus. Made it into parking by T2 at 4:30 am and waited for the rain to stop until 4:50 am. This was a point to point race and took a lot of planning to coordinate what I needed to prepare for in the transitions. The bike was racked the night before. I really prepared well and had one of those stupid sized ziploc bags in T2 in which I could fit all the gear and keep it dry. Almost forgot my aero helmet before getting on a school bus to T1/swim area at 5 am. T1 setup was easy, dried the bike, applied some teflon lube and coordinated fluids/nutrition.
Event warmup:

Rev3 was having a real cluster trying to get the T1 situation straight. Parking forced a change in the bike out directions and apparently caused the race to be delayed. I find that warmups don't help me. I did a warmup swim on Saturday on the course and thought I'd be OK. Well that plan went south once the pros went off. Standing on the beach we all watched the pros drift really far left after having to run out at least 150 yds. Water was choppy and I knew it would be tough.
Swim
  • 53m 9s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Cut my foot running into the water, but didn't realize it until the run. Ran 150 yards before I found deep enough water to swim. Immediately I knew this was going to be tough. I could feel the tide and had never experienced chop like this. About 5' into the swim, I looked into the abyss and asked whether I should stop. Doubts, fear started to overwhelm, but I just kept going. It felt like an eternity to get to that first red buoy and once there the contact was heavy. Now the long part of the pyramid - 4 yellows and then the red turnaround buoy. I was slow, but I gained confidence. Came into the shallows, trudged another 100 yds or so and then ran .25 miles to T1. Garmin said I swam more like 1.5M.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more in lousy conditions
Transition 1
  • 04m 49s
Comments:

Pretty satisfied and happy I didn't cramp when I pulled off the wetsuit. Took an extra 45" to put my gear into the transition bag for pick up later.
Bike
  • 2h 38m 46s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.18 mile/hr
Comments:

I really enjoyed this course and with 1600 ft in vertical it had some nice rollers and some fairly fun hills. Hit 43 mph during one downhill which was pretty cool and hammered some hills. There was one really sketchy part around miles 47 with potholes, but they were well marked and we had a head up. Running an Oly and Half at the same time meant there was a lot of congestion before the half course veered off. I hated to see how bad the local traffic was and I am sure the residents were not appreciative (as is totally understandable). Saw some drafting out there, but to me it wasn't as blatant as other described.

After a lousy swim, i went hard and had fun. All those painful hours on the drainer paid off.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Executed well.
Run
  • 1h 51m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I was hurt going into the race and my heel was causing me big issues. I knew it would be touch and go so I was prepared. What I didn't count on was my cut foot. When Is stopped an peed at miles 4-5, the foot just burned. I had undertrained the run due to injury so I paid a bit.

Not run in my Hoka Bondi Speeds. When these get wet it is like running on sponges. Squish squish.
Post race
Warm down:

Loved running across the finish with my daughters in hand. Hit the finish line and felt fine. Hit the leg compression tent immediately after and it felt great. Ate a bit with the family and then got my transition bags.

Event comments:

There are a bunch of criticisms that could and should be levied against Rev3 for their preparedness. But, this is a first time event at Williamsburg for this company and I adjusted my expectations accordingly. Rev3 has taken accountability already and hope they can get to try this again in 2014. The Rev3 volunteers were awesome and we just loved Williamsburg and the people. Hope they sort out the kinks because it was really a fun event.

Last updated: 2012-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:09 | 2112 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 55/88
Overall: 305/573
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3
Course: Triangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 25C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:38:46 | 56 miles | 21.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/88
Overall: 150/573
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:51:00 | 13.1 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/88
Overall: 107/573
Performance: Average
Rev3 times are screwed up so I can't get my "official" time here. I think they underestimated my T2 time and overcalculated my run time. My garmin showed an 8:35 run pace.
Course: Meandered through town and campus and then the "hill" btw miles 3-4. Although in the shade, this was a killer once, but knowing that it came twice was rough. Miles 6-7 were a tease as you past the finish line twice during an out and back and then knowing you still had another half a race to go.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-06-25 5:20 PM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Subject: Rev3 Williamsburg - Half Rev

2013-06-25 5:37 PM
in reply to: #4787539

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Rev3 Williamsburg - Half Rev

Awesome job out there!

That was one tough swim for a lot of us!

You really hammered the bike and run nicely!

I hope Rev 3 irons out their bugs from this weekend and comes back, that was the most fun and challenging course I have done in a while. 

2013-06-26 5:02 AM
in reply to: #4787539

User image

Veteran
On my Bike or SUP, west of OBX
Nice Job out there!!! I too am hoping they come back next year. It was rough but a good time.
2013-06-26 7:13 AM
in reply to: BigGuyTRI_NC

User image

Expert
Nice report. I wish I had waited to do my tattoos until the morning. Every time I turned over during the night the coming unglued sensation woke me up.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Williamsburg - Half Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Williamsburg - Half Rev

Started by ajfrager
Views: 1657 Posts: 5

2013-06-25 1:17 PM momo

Started by kidtri33
Views: 3012 Posts: 10

2013-06-26 5:08 AM BigGuyTRI_NC

Started by BigGuyTRI_NC
Views: 1764 Posts: 4

2013-06-24 10:38 AM kidtri33

Started by everlong
Views: 1809 Posts: 5

2013-06-24 10:30 AM kidtri33

Rev3 Williamsburg - Olympic Rev

Started by QueenZipp
Views: 4502 Posts: 24

2013-06-28 10:17 PM southwestmba
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.