World Triathlon Corporation
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 50m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I have to say I stayed in the Residence inn in Spokane Valley and it was great. $84/night and only 20 minutes away. My wife made most of our meals and the hotel was really clean. The weather leading up to the race was all over the place. It pretty much rained all day Wednesday and Thursday before the race. Friday and Saturday were pretty good, but not great. I managed to ride in the rain on Thursday in Spokane Valley and swim on friday before the athletes dinner.
The night before I couldn't sleep. Maybe I got 3 hours of sleep. I got out of bed at 3am and ate two pieces of PB and J toast, a banana, and some water. I made four half PB and J sandwiches and bagged them individually. I grabbed all my swim stuff anf my special needs bags and waited for my ride. I had meet numerous local BTr's and one had offered to give me a ride to the race. It was great to have someone who knew where to go. It was also nice to talk with someone else nervous like I was. Thanks for the ride Eric.
Event warmup:

I put on my wetsuit and promply peed in it. The problem was I was still in transition standing by my bike. I didn't care I had to go bad and the line for the porta potties was huge! CDA as most know is the first of many Ironmen with a new swim start and initiative. I loved it. I went odwn to the beach and got in the water. They had an area for warm up and then they had a coral like a marathon. They had people holding signs to let you know what pace to stand by. After a 10 minute warm up I got out of the water and waited near the 1:30 folks for about 10 minutes till the race started.
Swim
  • 1h 19m 52s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

The new swim start was great. I had contact, but it was very limited. I had one lady pull my goggles off twice on accident, but really that was the only contact worth mentioning. At the turns there was the standard crowd of people and contact was there, but not any more than any 70.3 I've done.
The first lap I just stayed to the right and stayed out of the crowd. I felt really relaxed and just tried to stretch my stroke out and glide. I can say this is the first time I've swam in an event and didn't have any anxiety during the whole swim. At the end of the first lap I came out of the water and looked at my watch which said 39 minutes. I was right on pace for my goal pace. I slapped some hands of volunteers and said thanks to them and jumped in for lap 2.
Lap 2 was the same. Just tried to swim long. I'm only in my 4th year of swimming so for you good swimmers this must be second nature. For me it is not. I felt really good. I did notice how clear lake CDA is. You can see bottom for a long time. I also noticed for some strange reason when we got out to the turn arounds there were roller waves. Maybe 1 or 2 feet. No peak to them just rollers. I think it was from the wave runners helping people. I'm not sure. On the way to the finish I noticed quite a few people were having some serious navigation issues. Seemed everyone wanted to go to the right and all they needed to do was swim straight to the finish. No biggie I just swam around them. I swam like a good little triathlete does till my hads touched the bottom. Then I jumped up. Ran out and got my wetsuit stripped.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was right on pace and felt great. I don't know that I'll ever be a good swimmer, but I'll take mediocre even if I'm not sure how to spell it.
Transition 1
  • 09m 24s
Comments:

Wow! What a chaotic mess in the changing tent. I guess when you are in the back of the pack this is what I should expect. I didn't need to change clothes. Just get my arm covers on, helmet on, wetsuit packed up, bike shoes on, apply chamois cream, and grab my nutrition. I guess that takes about 9 minutes give or take a few seconds. All I can say is if they have any pictures of me leaving T1 that is not spunk on the front of my shorts. That is chamois cream I swear! I don't know how to prevent that from happening, but it always does when I have wet shorts. It looks comical and I've caught hell for it more than a few times from my friends. I kept whipping it away, but it kept coming out like I was some kind of dispensor, just not in the ideal location. It ended about 2 miles into the bike ride. Well that is when I gave up worrying about it.

Speed up a little bit, but this is my first Ironman so I wasn't sure how any of this would go.
Bike
  • 6h 51m 56s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.32 mile/hr
Comments:

So I ate the first 1/2 sandwich on the way out of T1. While I was busy whiping cream out of my crotch and pushing a bike to the mount line. I told myself to really pace this bike course. It is a hilly bugger and us Michigan folks don't have 2 mile up hills down where I'm from. My plan for the bike course was to drink a lot and pee alot. I really didn't want to blow up on the bike and not run the marathon. Forst lap I did good. I ate both halfs of my sandwich, had 4 shot blocks, and 8 PB crackers. I really wanted salty stuff on the bike since I knew sweet stuff all day would be a disaster for me.
Special needs came around mile 66 or so. I ate a handful of pringles and loaded another sandwich into my pockets. I also loaded more PB crackers and a nother string of blocks.
I was also carrying my own nuun tablets to put in my speed fill when I filled it up. My plan was going good till the second lap on Mica grade. That hill is long and the whole way out to the fire station felt like it was up hill. I was getting tired so I polished off my last 1/2 a sandwich and had a PB pretzel MOJO bar. That hit the spot. On the way back into town I was feeling good again. I stopped at the last aid station and got more water and peed. I could have maybe made it in without the stop, but I didn't want to risk it. I was there to finish not go fast this time.
My overall nutrition on the bike was great. My other plan of coasting to rest my legs on all descents that exceeded 20 MPH also worked great. I suck at pacing, but this bike I did great.

Nothing. I stopped at 3 aid stations to pee and that was a good indicator of my hydration.
Transition 2
  • 10m 16s
Comments:

I know I took my time in this one. I sat out on the lawn and slowly got my mind ready for the marathon. I knew I wasn't fast and I didn't care. I was having a great day and a great time. The bike course was stellar and I knew the run was even more scenic. I threw everything in the gear bag handed it to a volunteer, got lathered up with sunscreen, stole a glass of water and headed out on the run.

Nothing
Run
  • 5h 19m 30s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I had planned 9:30 or 10/miles, but you can see that didn't happen. I started out and the first mile was 9:35. I knew that wouldn't last so I slowed down to 10:30. I walked each and every aid station. I had a great run going on the first lap. I felt good and said a ton of thank yous to volunteers and spectators who cheered for us. There were some great parties going on and I remember at least 2 people with PA systems which cracked me up. I made it too special needs and felt pretty good. 13 miles done. What I didn't realize was from special needs to the next aid station took forever. I'm not sure how long it was, but I needed an aid station to happen before it. By mile 15 I was walking. Man I was pissed. I kept telling myself what a douche bag you are. Loser! Then this guy from the university of Iowa came up on me and said "I'm glad you slowed down." I knew we had been going back and forth on the bike and on the first lap of the run. Now we became running buddies. He would say hey let's run to that sign. We would start running and I would say screw that sign let's go to the next aid station. Thank God for that guy he saved my race. I think his name was Charles. Around mile 23 he decided he was going to walk more. I told him if I walked much more I was done. I decided I would run it in and just walk the aid stations. Around mile 24 I hit a huge street party. With all these drunk people. The girls were in Bikini tops and shorts and the guys were all yelling. The girls had a sign that said "We are not wearing any panties." I laughed and unzipped my tri top. I showed them my man boobs and they all laughed and cheered. That gave me a lift to get to the finish. I ran the rest of the way in and skipped the last aid station. I passed mopre than a few people walking.

Plan my water uintake better. I planned to run about a 4:30 marathon and that bonk in the middle killed it. But then again I've never ran a marathon so I didn't know any better.
Post race
Warm down:

Lay in the medical tent with my feet up. Flyboy checked on me and I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. I even had a volunteer come by with a foam roller and roll out my legs. I know I told him thank you a thousand times. The line for the message was huge, but here I was getting rolled out without waiting.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knowledge and experience.

Event comments:

What can I say? CDA is amazing. I could not have picked a better place to do my first Ironman. I don't know what I can do for a second one.
The volunteers were awsome, the scenery is insane, and the overall vibe from the city is nothing short of wonderful. If I could move out west this would be a great place to live.
To all my fellow BTr's especially the local ones. Thanks. Man I loved this race and meeting everyone. I wanted a great experience and this was one I will never forget.
My race:
My goal was to learn and do it under 15 hours. I finished in 13:50 and I know there are a ton of minutes to get maybe even an hour or more. I plan on doing another one. I just have to wait till the wife approves it and the check book can recover. Thanks everyone who reads this. If you are on the bubble about this race don't be it is spectacular. Sorry for any spelling or grammer issues.

Last updated: 2012-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:19:52 | 4224 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Long rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:24
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:51:56 | 112 miles | 16.32 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Hard to explain, but it is two out and backs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 10:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:19:30 | 26.2 miles | 12m 11s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: 13.1 mile loop out and back. Big hill at the turn around. Otherwise a flat course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-27 6:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Subject: Ironman Coeur d'Alene

2013-06-28 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4790012

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene
Loved reading your R/R! Cracked me up a couple times. Great job on your first IM and a very respectable finish time. Glad you liked it out here....I'm thankful to live about 30 minutes away on the WA side. I've signed up for next year and it will be my first IM as well.
If my brother Stan (Flyboy) didn't give you a beer at the med tent he was holding out on you....hehe
2013-06-28 3:04 PM

User image

Regular
Chris,

It was a pleasure to meet your family and you. I enjoyed the ride in the rain on Thursday, hanging out on Friday and on Sunday the comment you made on the course. That made me laugh a lot considering you said it around a bunch of other people. I couldn't think of anything to say other than the standard "good job" thing you didn't want me to say.

It was good to actually spot you on the course without you having to knock me across the side of the head.

You did well in your race. You stuck to your plan and it paid off big time for you. 1.5 hours under your goal is really good. I bet the next one you do you will be in under 13 hours now that you have the experience.

Maybe one of these years we can figure out another Ironman to do that would be a vacation for both of our families.

If you think about ever doing Boise again, let me know and I might sign up to do that race.
2013-06-28 7:43 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

It was a pleasure meeting you Chris and congratulations on joining Ironman club!  Great race and great race report.  If you ever get back out this way, you better stop in and say hello!

2013-07-02 10:02 AM
in reply to: Flyboy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Thanks you guys. I talked the wife into going to Germany for 2015 Challenge Roth if I can get in.
Stan did give me a beer, but I didn't want to out him so everyone on BT was asking for a beer after the race. Good luck next year you guys. I wish I could come back out and do it again, but I 'm saving for the next big family adventure. I've never been to Germany.

Trevor for sure I'll let you know when I come back out. Might be a while, but for sure. My goal for the next one will be to be under 13 if not under 12. I gained a ton of experience from that race and I learned a lot about pacing and what my body needs for a long race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Coeur d'Alene Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene

Started by hjmiii
Views: 3905 Posts: 16

2006-07-17 2:55 PM hjmiii

Ironman Coeur d'Alene Pages: 1 2

Started by Flyboy
Views: 7840 Posts: 42

2006-07-03 12:06 PM G8RLA94

Ironman Coeur d'Alene

Started by kaybee
Views: 3356 Posts: 4

2006-07-01 5:08 PM cadreamer

Ironman Coeur d'Alene Pages: 1 2

Started by boglecda
Views: 7583 Posts: 31

2006-07-02 3:15 PM lifeisgood

Ironman Coeur d'alene

Started by markdills38
Views: 2249 Posts: 10

2004-07-08 11:37 AM markdills38
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.

date : July 10, 2007
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.
date : May 11, 2007
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.

date : April 12, 2007
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.
date : April 12, 2007
How BT is preparing me for the Coeur d'Alene IronMan.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.