United States
Streamline Events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 52s
Overall Rank = 295/819
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 38/96
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4.45. Trying to wake up a little earlier and eat bigger breakfast longer before the race. Waffles, banana, tea and gatorade as it was going to be hot. Got my blood-sugar just right - 165 30 minutes before race, when I loaded up in advance of the race itself. Arrived at parking lot by about 6.15, so thought I had plenty of time, but with the ride in and then putzing around a little, suddenly they were warning that the transition area was closing in 7 minutes, so the last bit of prep was a little more rushed than I would have liked.
Event warmup:

Ran for five minutes up the road and back, then swam in the warm-up area, going in 3 separate times to get used to the entry - the water felt cold, so I wanted to get accustomed to the transition into the cold water without too much heart-racing. It seemed to work, as I felt very comfortable going in to the water in the actual race. Great to have a warm-up area for swimmers - other races should definitely try and and do this.
Swim
  • 10m 59s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a good swim for me. I've been doing a lot of swimming recently as part of my training plan and it paid off. This was my best-ever age group placing for the swim by a long measure - normally I place in the bottom 20%. Felt in control, had time to see the buoys and swam in a straight line. Something was funky with this course, though - a 2:30 pace would be my slowest time ever for a Sprint swim, but I felt that I was swimming well for me and this was supported by my best-ever AG finish. So something doesn't add up - either there was a very strong current against us on the long leg of the swim, or this was longer than a quarter-mile. I was a bit shaky coming out of the water so maybe lost 10-20 seconds getting to the mat also, but not enough to really throw off the pace that much.
What would you do differently?:

Still focus on technique, but overall I was okay with this swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

This was a poor transition. Felt really out of breath coming off the swim, slow out of the water, couldn't find the leash for my suit, then it got stuck on my heels. Then dropped my bike on the way out. it's a long run before you can mount here - would have been better to do my bike shoes up before starting the run.

Practice getting my suit off.
Bike
  • 37m 26s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Enjoyed the bike. passed a good few people and got passed only by people who liked much less like "recreatioinal triathletes" than I am. Liked the course, a real mix of corners, hills and straightaways. Have just got aero bars added to my road bike and had a bike fitting at the same time. Althought I'm still getting used to the new set-up in, I equalled my fastest-ever bike time on a much hillier course and a hotter day. Overall, I think the changes have added 1-2mph to my bike times, so I'm happy with the investment

I pushed hard on the bike. Not sure if a slightly slower time would have paid off on the run - probably yes. Need to keep that in mind for longer races coming up.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Good transition, except I forgot my running hat.
Run
  • 29m 24s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

The run felt hard, perhaps because of pushing it a little too much on the bike. It was also fairly hot by then. Walked for about 20 secs because of I felt a cramp coming on, but managed to avoid getting a cramp and ran the rest of the way. I guess everybody else found it hard also, because I was middle of the pack so I felt okay about how I judged things today.

Back off just a tad on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a couple of waters, wandered around, watched the finishers

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Felt okay with my performance today. Typically I fall in the bottom third of my AG and today I was 38 of 96. I'm half-way through training for a HIM in Sept, so it was good to see all that training pay off in this race. Hoping for a similar improvement at Cranberry in August.

Event comments:

Very well-organized - these guys put on a great race. Good to be racing for juvenile diabetes research also - I have Type 1. Scenic course, but be ready for some rolling terrain. Great to be able to pick numbers at Fast Splits before race. Would definitely do this race again.

Last updated: 2013-04-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:59 | 440 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 55/96
Overall: 497/819
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Rectangle, long leg parallelt to shore
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:37:26 | 12 miles | 19.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 40/96
Overall: 244/819
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Great course. Lots of corners and short hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:29:24 | 03.2 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 54/96
Overall: 401/819
Performance: Average
Course: Pleasant but a little hilly
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-06 8:32 PM

Subject: Cohasset Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cohasset Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cohasset Triathlon

Started by tmebyrne
Views: 1298 Posts: 1

2009-10-20 12:01 PM tmebyrne

Cohasset Triathlon

Started by ryan.robinson
Views: 1123 Posts: 1

2009-09-07 6:31 AM ryan.robinson

Cohasset Triathlon

Started by TriToy
Views: 2827 Posts: 17

2008-07-02 2:02 AM livestrong

Cohasset Triathlon

Started by pjostack
Views: 2357 Posts: 9

2007-07-15 12:42 PM TC117

Cohasset Triathlon

Started by madoody
Views: 1429 Posts: 1

2007-07-08 7:44 PM madoody
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon