Warsaw Breakfast Optimist Club
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 42s
Overall Rank = 177/505
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

Normal waking up before the alarm, hitting the bathroom at least three times and eating a bagel and banana
Event warmup:

Ran a little, biked up the hill and swam a bit, too. Chatted a whole bunch. This is my hometown race so I knew a whole lotta peoples.
Swim
  • 11m 6s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't wear a watch for the first time racing. After seeing my swim time at my last race and being disappointed, I just didn't want to know. Glad I didn't, as this ranked as my 3rd worst swim time in the 7 years I've done this race - a whole minute slower than last year. I FELT like I had a good rhythm going and drafted for a short while. At the turn I hit a person in distress and breathed in water so had to stop and cough it out. The pontoon people were there to care for him so I went on.
What would you do differently?:

When I asked my Asphalt Junkie mentor, Dirk, how to swim faster he said I need to get in the water more. OK. That's what I need to do if I care to.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Helmet had been knocked off my bike from a rack-mate and the visor had popped both side rivets. I spent valuable time trying to pop them back on and only succeeded in getting one side before I said forget it and took off.

Not put my helmet on my bike as it sits pretty precariously. Also, should've just ripped the visor off and either ridden without eye protection or threw on my sunglasses which were sitting right there for the run.
Bike
  • 40m 21s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 20.36 mile/hr
Comments:

I hammered as much as I could. So wanted to do this below 40 minutes but had nothing more to give. Never got passed except close to dismount when I was loosening shoes. Passed both riders back at the dismount line.

Nada
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Helmet got stuck on ear otherwise uneventful.

Practice getting helmet off quickly.
Run
  • 31m 44s
  • 3.7 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Exact same time as I ran it last year to the second. If nothing else, I'm consistent. Was passed by Beth, the 1st AGer at about mile 1.5. Tried to keep up for about a 1/4 mile but knew I couldn't maintain and had to run my own race. Yelled "I love you guys" to Lisa and Dirk when I saw them on Chestnut hill.

Run faster
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted and chatted some more. Found my daughter who was finished volunteering on the run course and ate some food while waiting awards. Clapped a lot for Dirk as he won his AG and was 1 of the top 3 Indiana males. Impressive showing by him. Was surprised to find out that two women in my AG who'd signed up and would've taken the top two podium spots didn't show for the race so that left me in 2nd instead of 4th. Whoop-di-do. Lost 1st place by 42 seconds and 3rd place came in 52 seconds behind me. Some good competition for the old ladies age group! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just me, myself and I

Event comments:

Can't beat this race for the close proximity to my house (4 miles) and the post-race food is second to none. They've done weird things during awards in the last couple years. Last year they awarded only 2 places in some women's AGs but 3 in all the men's (not cool in my book and they heard strong feedback on that). This year, the overall winners were also winners in their AG so they got two of the same plaques. That was just plain strange. I'll continue to do this race because it's so fun to see all the people I know.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:06 | 440 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 311/505
Performance: Below average
Suit: QR shortie
Course: Out and back around a pontoon
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:21 | 13.8 miles | 20.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 99/505
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on county roads
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:44 | 03.7 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 257/505
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back through the greenway, then a neighborhood and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-08 5:37 PM

User image

Subject: Optimist Triathlon

2013-07-09 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4798741

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Optimist Triathlon
Brenda congrats on the 2nd place finish in your AG. You had a great race, I hear you on the swim but you made up for it on the bike and run. Your run was very good and man did you put the hammer down on the bike leg even with the visor issue. You didn't let that throw you off your game. I think a really great race overall and glad you got to do this one with Dirk. Home races are great.
2013-07-09 9:25 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Optimist Triathlon
GREAT race, shoot I wish I could swim as fast as you!!! GREAT transitions, bike and run!!! Glad you got to see Dirk and Lis too, thanks for posting!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Optimist Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Warsaw Optimist Triathlon

Started by cerveloP3
Views: 1686 Posts: 3

2006-06-27 8:46 AM jefjejon70

Started by jernigancpa
Views: 1686 Posts: 5

2006-06-26 9:08 AM running2far

Started by beadams
Views: 1706 Posts: 1

2006-06-24 4:22 PM beadams

Warsaw optimist Triathlon

Started by captbob
Views: 947 Posts: 1

2005-06-26 4:06 PM captbob

Niles Optimist Triathlon

Started by 45tri
Views: 1036 Posts: 2

2004-09-10 3:03 AM glf33
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon