United States
Give Peace a Tri Triathlon
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 52s
Overall Rank = 74/163
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 10/31
Pre-race routine:

Arrived early, registered before setting up transition. Set up all my gear, drank more water and did a nature stop. Since I had time, I redid my hair. (I know, I know...) Ate half a banana, drank more water.
Event warmup:

There were a lot more people in wetsuits this year than last year. The race was moved last minute to a new location since the original location was flooded from all the recent rain. This lake was deeper, thus colder, but I went in to do a warm up swim to determine whether or not I should don my shortie suit. I HTFU and went without. Stayed in the water and tread water to keep warm and HR up.
Swim
  • 11m 1s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not the best swim, but compared to last year, it was awesome. Last year, my wave left me behind, I was alone, and then the next wave swam around me, chewed me up and spit me out. I stayed with my wave this year and passed a few people in wetsuits! I got stuck behind three guys swimming side by side in wetsuits. Two of them flipped onto their back and kicked, which only splashed water in my face every time I went to sight. I didn't have the speed or confidence to pass, so I stayed stuck behind them. Ugh!
What would you do differently?:

Apparently I'm not so bad that I can't swim closer to the buoys. I rounded the end buoy close and really well, but the rest of the time I was way wide, playing it safe. I spent a lot more time this year swimming with people close to me, I should have been more aggressive and passed on the inside. It's okay though, I still had a fun swim! The second half of the swim I really found my rhythm.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Ran up the chute, through T1, easily found my bike and stuff. I was determined to not hit my head on the racks this year. Success! No hitting myself in the head!

Nothing.
Bike
  • 32m 34s
  • 8 miles
  • 14.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Held back and was a little conservative on the ride. Bit of clumping up going uphill and I was hesitant to pass given there was traffic going 60 mph and I didn't want to get hit. Constantly reminded myself to keep my cadence high and not overdo myself on the bike.

In the name of safety, I'm glad I didn't pass. I'm still not a very strong cyclist and I would have had to work a bit harder than I would like to pass quickly and safely. That might have tired out my legs and burnt me out for the run, which I also knew to be hilly.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

I've been babying these shoes because I really like them, and that means I no longer shove my feet into pre-tied shoes. That meant taking time to tie my shoelaces. BOO!

I should give those fancy no-tie elastic laces a try.
Run
  • 30m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Definitely got the HR going on the run! I pushed the pace, but I didn't go all out. Felt a little out of control at times on the downhills so I had to work to slow it down. Not the best run I've ever had, but given the terrain, I feel quite good about my time!

Be less conservative, especially in the last mile. Come on, it's only 5k! One day, I want to do a sprint and just totally give 'er!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to the viewing area and stretched and drank water while cheering on the rest of the triathletes. Then I ate PIZZA, a COOKIE and a bunch of strawberries and blueberries.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I totally forgot to have caffeine! This is the first race I've ever done without having coffee in the morning. I'm not a regular drinker, so it gives me a boost, but not being a regular, I didn't have the routine. Totally forgot!

I'd like to keep working on my bike fitness. I was surprised at how well I kept up with people/passed people on the hilly course, but I still want to do better. More time in the saddle!

Event comments:

Given the last minute change, the race was delayed 15 minutes because people had to find their way to the new location. No biggie. The food was AMAZING and plentiful. I stayed to watch the last racer come in - a 76 yo doing his first tri. Also watched the awards take place, and it was nice to see a good number of people stayed around to watch.

A great local race, and a wonderful race director who cheered my name every time she saw me. I admire her efforts and the work of all the volunteers to make this race happen despite the flooding at the original race location.

My only complaint is the same as last year - I wish they'd restrict the transition area to athletes only. Lots of spectators were in the way of the athletes. Otherwise, a fantastic race!

Last updated: 2013-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:01 | 440 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 97/163
Performance: Average
Suit: Nope!
Course: Out and back, CCW around the buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:32:34 | 08 miles | 14.75 mile/hr
Overall: 76/163
Wind:
Course: A challenging and hilly course, well marshalled considering we had to cross a major highway where eastbound cars come downhill on a curve. At least I enjoyed a nice long downhill and hit 35.7 mph. Scary!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:30:11 | 03.1 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 74/163
Course: Hilly! Some were steep, some were long. The downhills were also a little too steep to be safe just bombing down, since the path is gravelly. However, much of the course is on shaded dirt and gravel, which was nice. Took a little walk break and managed to get water IN my mouth. Hooray!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-14 4:45 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Subject: Give Peace a Tri Triathlon

2013-07-14 4:48 PM
in reply to: #4803712

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Give Peace a Tri Triathlon
I understand it's hard to compare one year's race to the next. You never know who's going to show up in your age group, and in the case of this race, the entire course was moved to a new location and the course was much more challenging. Given all that, I'm proud of 2 things:
1. I went from being last in my age group to being last in the FOP of my age group!
2. I didn't get a flat tire or hit my head on the bike rack. YAHOO!!

Okay, one more. I'll admit it, not wearing a wetsuit when many others were wearing one makes me feel just a little bit tough.
2013-07-17 2:34 PM
in reply to: GreenMtnLabbit

User image

Veteran
Maine
Subject: RE: Give Peace a Tri Triathlon
Great job!! Fantastic improvement on the swim, especially with skipping the wetsuit. Too bad the location got switched at the last minute but I'm glad you had a chance to get a feel for this location and course before the Sept race, that will help. A ride with no flats definitely helps the day along as well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Give Peace a Tri Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Give Peace A Tri

Started by
Views: 423 Posts: 1

2011-08-08 8:35 AM

Give Peace a Tri

Started by bunsy
Views: 769 Posts: 1

2010-08-10 7:57 AM bunsy

Give Peace A Tri

Started by chandy14ski
Views: 1220 Posts: 1

2009-07-12 8:29 PM chandy14ski

Give Peace a Tri

Started by gggknee
Views: 833 Posts: 1

2009-07-11 10:27 PM gggknee

Give Peace a Tri

Started by karbates
Views: 1116 Posts: 1

2008-07-10 3:35 PM karbates
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.
date : October 1, 2006
author : Ontherun
Many of us race, and some race a lot, but when was the last time you gave something back to the sport of triathlon?

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.