General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NYC triathlon aftermath Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-14 6:04 PM

Subject: NYC triathlon aftermath
Congrats to all the NYC tri participants today!!! Anyone else feeling completely winded and exhausted? Any remedies for a tight chest area? This was my first Olympic distance and I don't think my body appreciated it...

2013-07-14 7:07 PM
in reply to: NYAppleSwim123

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: NYC triathlon aftermath
rest and hydration.
get your feet up and in an air conditioned room -

it was hot and humid...
2013-07-14 8:45 PM
in reply to: TriToy

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
That was a tough day. I walked the aid stations and thought I was melting by mile 4. Still finished in under 3h. Not a pr, but it'll take it.
2013-07-15 5:10 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

The run was a death march, still had a good day. Bike course was lots of fun, though could use a repaving!
2013-07-15 5:36 AM
in reply to: VGT

User image

Champion
New York, NY
I did not have a good day - half way through the swim (which I was leading my little wave) I started having vertigo - I mean the world flipping over and nausea - only time I had that was when I got mono last year - had to to breast stroke to regroup. Unfortunately the vertigo stayed with me - took it easy on the bike, which due to the rough roads I cannot say I enjoyed - reminded me of doing Chicago - inner city roads...feels different in my SUV!

The run the vertigo was really bad - I walked part of HH and a couple of the aid stations. Not my worst oly time but certainly no PR Glad I finished which became my goal when the vertigo hit. Now I am worried that I will continue to get swim induced vertigo - but maybe it was just the Hudson - which btw that swim was disgusting.

So next year I will likely volunteer in the med tent. The only way I see myself doing this race again is if I am a guide
2013-07-15 7:53 AM
in reply to: TriToy

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Great time had by me. Missed by 3 hr goal by 2 minutes (!!), but fun no matter what. Swim was ridiculously fast -- 18 min for 1500 meters? I'd need a motor to do that in a pool. The road on the bike was, uh, challenging. Like someone said, it feels different in a car. Run was hot, hot, hot. I never thought of Central Park of being so hilly, nor have I done a tri where the run course just went uphill the whole way . Overall, a great event, and glad I did it. The 200 mile drive home afterwards was less than fun, however.... Congrats to one and all.

2013-07-15 9:02 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

I did not have a great race either. am normally slow, but this race just wasnt my day. i was among the last few who finished, and walked every.single.hil on the run. Didnt even feel happy at finishing, haha

I plan to be back next year, hopefully stronger and faster!
2013-07-15 9:20 AM
in reply to: piok_opze

User image

New York
This was my first olympic and I had a good time. Swim was not too bad although the 2.5 hour wait after transition closed was not too pleasant. Had a really strong bike leg (1:15) and it was by far my best bike split in any practice I'd done. Fell apart on the run - just way too hot, started cramping, walked pretty much every hill and just couldn't get my HR down. Finished in 2:38, which was still well ahead of the 3 hrs I was hoping to break so pretty happy with it. Loved all the support throughout the course and thought it was pretty well organized.
2013-07-15 3:56 PM

User image

Awesome race! It was my first triathlon and I really had fun! The crowd support was unbelievable and I hope they give the volunteers metals too because they were awesome!!!

As for my race...as a first timer it I felt good. I was worried about the swim but got to love the current of the Hudson! Felt good on the bike until the last couple miles. Quite a hilly course but I felt strong most of the way. And then the run...holy crap it was HOT! I had a pretty crappy 10k time but I had to do the walk run thing - which is wierd because I had been feeling strong on the run off the bike the last couple weeks but hey I finished! That was my main goal - to finish and have a good race! Next year I definitely want to do better on time which should be doable with a more focused training plan thanks to BT.

2013-07-15 4:14 PM
in reply to: bhargavs

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I always forget how great the crowds are for this race. There were more people out on 72nd than I remember there being in previous years, which is pretty impressive considering the weather. The voluneteers, who are always amazing, filled in where the crowd got sparse in the northern parts of the park, and the crowds in the last 3/4 mile were practically shoulder-to-shoulder, or at least it seemed that way.

2013-07-15 4:28 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

I always forget how great the crowds are for this race. There were more people out on 72nd than I remember there being in previous years, which is pretty impressive considering the weather. The voluneteers, who are always amazing, filled in where the crowd got sparse in the northern parts of the park, and the crowds in the last 3/4 mile were practically shoulder-to-shoulder, or at least it seemed that way.

Great seeing you at the race. I tell ya, that was one of the hardest Olys I've ever done because of the heat, humidity and hills. Being from Chicago, I dont really train on hills. ANd borrowing someone's bike didn't help. But hey I got through it in sub-3 despite an 8:30-T1.

2013-07-15 8:41 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by mr2tony

Great seeing you at the race. I tell ya, that was one of the hardest Olys I've ever done because of the heat, humidity and hills. Being from Chicago, I dont really train on hills. ANd borrowing someone's bike didn't help. But hey I got through it in sub-3 despite an 8:30-T1.

Next year come in early June and we'll race Rev3 Quassy. It has hills that makes NYC look like an airfield in Kansas.
2013-07-16 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY

Kudos to the organizers- they ran a tightly organized event even though the logistics are a killer.

my first Olympic...what can I say?This was a tough race for me but I am so happy I did it. I really need to work on my swim because I didn't feel like I was in any kind of current while swimming, LOL!!! Still my fastest swim time. The bike was kinda bumpy but the hills - even with training practice - were difficult for me but I crunched through them. Really felt it in my back.

The run was horrid but GOD BLESS THE CROWDS ON 72nd STREET!!! I started tearing up - partly from the pain and heat delirium but mostly from the energy, I am SO appreciative of the shouts I got from random people. To be honest, with my walk.run my 10K time wasn't THT far off from my regular 10k time! It was way too hot to do anything but survive! Hope to be back next year if I get in next year- I did have alot of fun.

I feel great- no soreness, just very tired - nothing that a full day of sleep won't cure.
2013-07-16 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY

Oh yeah!!!! Love my city. They are the only reason I made it through the run! The volunteers ROCKED; I am so grateful!!!
2013-07-16 5:18 PM
in reply to: bluwatersoul

User image

Champion
Chicago
Shockingly, the photos don't suck.

I was sure I'd look like death. I guess in a couple I do, but mostly I don't! Woot.
2013-07-16 7:24 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

Anyone know the usual lottery selection rate? I participated this year through a charity partner, and really don't feel like doing the fundraising again next year, and my wife also wants to participate with me. Wondering what the odds are of us both getting in.

2013-07-17 9:17 AM

User image

Yeah, I would be interested in that info too. I'm also looking at the VIP entry too- it sounds like you have a entry for the year you sign up and then the next year you get a spot. Anyone gotten in through either of these ways?
2013-07-17 12:46 PM
in reply to: hilltackler

Regular
I did the VIP thing this year (and got a cute transition bag for all my $$$$). Guaranteed entry this year and next without having to do the lottery. It's pricey, but since this is always my A race and I do it with several others who come in from out of town, I decided it was worth it.
2013-07-17 7:57 PM
in reply to: mildew33

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
Originally posted by mildew33

I did the VIP thing this year (and got a cute transition bag for all my $$$$). Guaranteed entry this year and next without having to do the lottery. It's pricey, but since this is always my A race and I do it with several others who come in from out of town, I decided it was worth it.

was that the Aquaphor transition bag that had "NYC" embroidered on the side? sweet bag- we were trying to figure out where to buy one at the expo
2013-07-18 8:19 AM
in reply to: mildew33

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Granted the order had to have been placed long before Boston happened, but I still thought it was ironic that they handed out transition bags to the VIP's the same year that they made a rule banning transition bags.
2013-07-18 8:29 AM

User image

From my understanding you could use a transition bag but it had to be empty and carried in the clear bag into transition. Which makes carrying your stuff out after the race easier but carrying it in was a PITA but I guess safety first...I wonder what the rules were for the spectators? I saw many backpacks - not sure if they were checked - which I would think would be important, right?

2013-07-18 9:31 AM
in reply to: bluwatersoul

Regular
Originally posted by bluwatersoul

was that the Aquaphor transition bag that had "NYC" embroidered on the side? sweet bag- we were trying to figure out where to buy one at the expo

Yep - that was the bag. And I didn't have a transition bag, so it was much appreciated.
2013-07-18 2:41 PM
in reply to: hilltackler

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by hilltackler

From my understanding you could use a transition bag but it had to be empty and carried in the clear bag into transition. Which makes carrying your stuff out after the race easier but carrying it in was a PITA but I guess safety first...I wonder what the rules were for the spectators? I saw many backpacks - not sure if they were checked - which I would think would be important, right?

Yeah, I thought about pointing out at the athletes' briefing or at one of my volunteer meetings that the Boston bombers were spectators, not participants, but didn't want to rock the boat. It seemed pretty obvious that the edict about the clear plastic bag was coming from either the NYPD or the insurance company, and not from the RD.

2013-07-18 6:33 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
the rule comes from the POLICE not the race organizers - they do the same thing for NYRR
and yes it is ridiculous as it was spectators not racers but false sense of security for NYPD

totally stupid

one of the reasons they even allowed our transition bags in the plastic bag was I called/emailed bringing up the dangers of people trying to ride their bikes home with their gear and all the potential injuries.
2013-07-20 7:34 AM

Don't know the lottery selection but I did get in on the first try this year. And I never get selected in the lottery (2 tries for NYC marathon and half marathon)

I feel lost this morning and this past week. No motivation to work out and sadness that the race is over. I guess I will have to sign up for something else soon. NYC was my "A" race for the year...What am I doing without it??
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NYC triathlon aftermath Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

NYC triathlon affected by the sewage plant blast?

Started by dvshannow
Views: 1489 Posts: 2

2011-07-25 10:43 PM RtisticFX

NYC Triathlon, lodging in the city

Started by vrljc
Views: 1506 Posts: 10

2009-01-14 8:53 AM cusetri

NYC Triathlon/Cycling club

Started by Rmaldon240
Views: 2159 Posts: 2

2010-02-15 9:35 PM td5500

new triathlon series near nyc

Started by minou67
Views: 919 Posts: 2

2007-04-15 8:42 PM Rockland

2006 NYC Triathlon

Started by Rmaldon240
Views: 1398 Posts: 8

2006-05-20 12:58 PM ezl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 10, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 0
The ONLY way to compete in my first triathlon was to do it on my BMX. I’m no professional—nor do I aspire to be one, I just want to be fit and healthy.

date : October 3, 2004
author : adumey
comments : 0
One of my fears, besides the radioactive material content of the Hudson River, was the water temperature. I found the water was much warmer as I inched closer to the holding dock.