Lima Family YMCA
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m
Overall Rank = 19/104
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Event warmup:

Minimal warm-up, maybe 3/4 mile run, then spent some time in the water getting the shoulders loosened up. Wish I would of been able to spend some time but did not have enough time.
Swim
  • 11m 57s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

T1 is included in time, I would estimate maybe 1m off the time
Anyway, start was a wade type where you got in the water and waited for the whistle. On the start I felt good and never really was stressed in the swim, sighted esily to the 1st buoy and on to the 2nd buoy, entire time I felt relaxed and never was stressed, but I think that is an issue, especially in the shorter races. Instead of pushing the effort I just swam, and when I would run into someone I slow up and sometimes even stop. For some reason I cannot go around anyone, and the time shows it. When going towards the 3rd buoy I ran into some sighting issues, the markers were a little small and combine this with the glare from the sun I had difficulties finding it. Just followed the flow of the swimmers hoping the majority was going in the right direction. Coming out of hte water was a pain, it seemed everyone stood up in waste deep water and starte walking, there was enough people in front of me that I could not keep swimming. Probably lost quite a bit of time here.
What would you do differently?:

Swim through, over and around people to go quicker. I think this comes from more races but I just dont have the time this year.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Decided on a different method today, well actually forced into. Forgot a towel so I really didn't have anything to dry my feet off with. So.. Decision was made to go sockless, figured the short distance of the run made it ok, Because of this the t1 was quick, and coming out I was even in a running flying mount and passed 3 people who were just trying to get on their bike.
Bike
  • 43m 12s
  • 15.46 miles
  • 21.47 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was a solid effort and well maintained. Came out of transition and as I was picking up speed I was feeling the affect of yesterdays 10k in my quads. A lot of burning and just general strain. So at this point I held back just a little and decided to not push so much going out, I would hold enough in the tank to push the ride coming back in. During the 1st 3 miles I was passed by a lot of riders, which made it hard to hold the effort down. I knew I could go with them but was concerned about the affect on my legs so I let them go. But it would not be long before I caught back up with them. For the 1st 6 miles I kept a pretty even effort, during this part of the course there are several rolling hills, there was nothing steep but enough to let you know they were there. About half way through this section I started catching and passing all of the riders that had passed me earlier on the course. They looked like the grade was starting to get to them and I felt strong and was increasing my speed. Towards the middle of the rollers I came up on a rider that I chased thoughout the backhalf of the course. He became a sort of rabbit for me to chase, At mile 7 my legs were feeling good and I was through most of the rollers so I started pushing the pace. Over the last 8 miles I was able to pick off another couple of riders and was never passed. After reviewing the lap data it really shows how my effort slowly increased throughout the entire ride. Laps are recorded every 3 miles, so here are times

Lap 1: 8:56 avg spd 20.1 avg HR 158
Lap 2: 8:45 avg spd 20.6 avg HR 157
Lap 3: 8:37 avg spd 20.9 avg HR 158
Lap 4: 7:59 avg spd 22.5 avg HR 156
Lap 5: 7:24 avg spd 24.3 avg HR 154

Lap 4 and 5 where definitely downhill and I believe holding back a little at the beginning really enabled me to push through this section and pick up the quite a bit of time.
The results show me as 1st in AG for this but a few of the riders have their swim time combined with their bike time so I am not sure iff it is accurate. But they would have had to of swam super slow for my bike time to not be quicker. So I am taking the 1st in AG for bike split :)

What would you do differently?:

Not much, I pushed my legs to the limit
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Came into transition and had to slam the breaks because I almost misssed the point, jumped off and ran to my spot. At this point I knew my legs were going to be an issue on the run, felt like rubber running next to my bike. Probably could of been faster as I seemed to be fumbling with stuff when switching gear. Couldnt grab my visor then forgot to take my watch off, finaly just grabbed everything and started running, figured to just put it on while I was running.
Run
  • 24m 9s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 50s  min/km
Comments:

As mentioned above my legs were not feeling good, the 1st 1/4 mile of the run was difficult to say the least. I couldn't get a pace going and I could tell my cadence was way off. On top of this I started to regret going without socks. I kept hearing my shoes squish around and just knew that something was going to turn raw! Pushed as hard as I could until I felt my HR just pounding, looked down and was inching up on 170, which is normal for a stand alone 5K but wouldn't last in this race. Around 3/4 of mile I came up on the water stop and was really in some pain. My chest was pounding, I couldn't catch my breath so I broke my cardinal rule on a 5K, I walked the water stop and took a bit of time to get a drink. This lasted only about 15 feet then I started running again and felt 100x better. My legs where feeling better and had some recovery to them. I know I lost some time here but I just couldn't keep going. For the rest of the race I pushed hard as I could, but I just couldn't get my pace down to where I wanted. The last 1.5 miles is probably where yesterdays 10k affected me the most. Just no response in my legs that I normally have.
Lap Data
Mile 1: 7:40 avg hr 163
Mile 2: 7:41 avg hr 168
Mile 3: 8:06 avg hr 166

Final note: going sockless was not the best of ideas, early on in the run the it felt as if my feet were sliding all over the place, then late in the run I started to feel the raw spots getting bigger. Eventually wound up with 3 spots that are rubbed raw, but at least I saved 45s in transition

Post race
Warm down:

Collapsed underneath a shade tree in exhaustion.

Last updated: 2013-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:57 | 500 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/104
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri
Course: Triangle in small swimming pond ty
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:12 | 15.46 miles | 21.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/11
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Big loop, going out what mostly going up with a steady decline coming back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 98
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:09 | 05 kms | 04m 50s  min/km
Age Group: 5/11
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-07-21 7:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: Lima YMCA/Kewpee Triathlon

2013-07-22 5:47 AM
in reply to: #4810114

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Lima YMCA/Kewpee Triathlon
Hey great race. I would be very happy w/ that swim! Great ride too, way to geat stronger through out the ride and finally, great run. 7+mm is really good!

Thanks for posting and giving us the details!
2013-07-22 10:30 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Matt congrats on finishing 3rd in your AG. You had a great race! I think the 10K definitely did affect your performance. You had a very good swim and you hammered on the bike, great pacing there. I think the 10K caught up with you on the run but still you had a really good run. I think if you'd not done that 10K you probably could've done even better. Regardless of all that, great race and the 4 minutes improvement over last year reflects how much you have improved and continue to improve.
2013-07-22 8:04 PM
in reply to: #4810114

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Great race!!

I think your swim sounds like an improvement from most of your other races.  I know you've struggled with it in the past and now you just need to get some time in races to get used to doling out the beating to others.  Remember it's a race and of others want to start in front of you they need to know the risks of getting run over and beat up. 

Your T1 sounds like you mad the right decision!  You really don't need to use sock anyway.  Blisters are an acceptable wound at races for me.  I have been going sockless and accepting blisters for at least 2 years.  I have found a way to decrease the likelihood of blisters and hotspots though.  Use some body glide on the areas that you know create these spots.  You may need to apply the grease with your fingers while applying to the inside of your shoes, but around the ankle region you can just use it like it's a container of deodorant.

I say!!!!  Go sockless!!!!!  HTFU!!

4 minutes improvement is outstanding!  And you're over 21 MPH on the bike?!?!?!?  Remarkable!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lima YMCA/Kewpee Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lima YMCA/Kewpee Triathlon

Started by DLR1
Views: 1089 Posts: 1

2011-08-01 1:13 PM DLR1

Started by mambos
Views: 1251 Posts: 5

2011-08-01 12:21 PM wbayek

Started by Keith_OH
Views: 1078 Posts: 1

2011-07-31 4:43 PM Keith_OH

Started by DirkP
Views: 1681 Posts: 6

2011-08-01 1:01 PM mdmosier

Started by spathrw
Views: 1183 Posts: 1

2011-07-31 11:01 AM spathrw
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon