General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Age Group Nationals---anyone else? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-10-04 2:00 PM
in reply to: switch

Richmond
Subject: RE: Age Group Nationals---anyone else?
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by Leegoocrap What's the course like? Tough, long/short ?

The course is very, very fair.

Milwaukee is a very "doable" city.  It's easy to navigate, not too expensive, lots of close parking by the event.  In terms of logistics I would give it a 9 out of 10.

The swim for the oly is pretty good.  It's a floating start, which is not my favorite, but it's "fine".  One thing that surprised me, but makes perfect sense, is that almost everyone there is a decent swimmer.  You're gonna have a lot more "washing machine" than you do in a regular race, and it lasts quite a bit longer.  There's a narrowing at one of the first buoys that compounds this problem, and then another narrowing at the bridge, which I think was about 400m or so in.  Other than that, it is sheltered, a nice temp (sleeveless is probably ideal), and incredibly easy to sight.  The swim exit ramp is a faching joke, and I personally think it's dangerous, especially for people who have calf, achilles issues, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed they mellow that out for next year. The oly swim was right on distance; the sprint was long by 100-150m, from what I saw and heard.

Transition is HUGE.  I haven't done a lot of events, so I don't have much to compare it to, but it is really big, and that can make it hard to find your bike.  Count on longish t times, but nothing crazy.

Bike mount can be a bit of a cluster too, as there are  surprising number of athletes that don't have a smooth mount (or dismount), and that area can also be a little congested.  Just be ready for that.

The bike. Hmmm.  The bike for the oly is tough, but fair.  There are some decent long, "slow" climbs.  There's on early before the first turn around, which I didn't think was too bad, but it was definitely there.  The bridge is a bit of a suckfest.  It's deceptively long, and you can get some gusts off the lake while you're on it cause you're so exposed.  Again, it's "fine" but it ain't easy.  Once you get off the bridge, things are pretty straightforward.  A few turns, nothing too technical, a turn around which is "fine" and then back to the bridge.  Coming down the bridge the second time you can really build up some speed and there are some crap spots in the road. I stayed aero for that, but in retrospect that was probably dumb.  It wasn't that fast (36mph) just crap roads.  There's a fairly tight set of turns coming back into transition.  Again, just be ready for a little congestion here.  Didn't see a lot of drafting in the oly, but did see big groups during the sprint as they had a timing snafu and bunched up a few waves.

The run is very straightforward.  True to distance, flat, plenty of aid stations.  I would have liked to see it better marked, but I think I was just out of it, and it wasn't necessarily a failing on their part. 

There are lots of cheap places to stay just outside of the city, if you care about that.  I stayed at a Comfort Suites or something like that and it was only $130/night.  Lots of decent food options.

As for Fisherman's dbag comments, I guess I would just say that there are dbags everywhere.  What I saw at this race were a lot of people just really, really excited to be there.  Everyone seemed really nice and there was a fun vibe in the group.

I think even if you can't qualify for Worlds, but you could have a competitive race, it could be worth the trip.  There's something to be said about toeing the line with that many fast athletes.

I liked your review, you forgot about the "wonderful" swim exit!! The bridge wasn't bad, but all the repairs were horrible. The good thing is, is that Milwaukee set a date to redo the bridge and surrounding roads!! So, next year, it won't be a scary, jarring 40mph downhill!!

I definitely think if you qualify, you should race. I wasn't as fast as 989 other racers, but I don't care. It was an awesome experience, race and time altogether! Milwaukee was beautiful and the people were amazingly nice. I didn't meet one athlete who was prickish or had an attitude. It was a bunch of fun with like minded people!

Oh, and Nationals was my 1st olympic!!

2013-10-04 2:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Originally posted by vertseven

I, too, qualified. I'm contemplating it a lot. On one hand, we get to visit my wife's family in Wisconsin. On the other hand, it's an Oly in Wisconsin. Cold water and hills. This Floridian isn't ready for that.

Oh, and I've never run an Olympic tri, either. Surprised

I "participated" last year because I qualified and wanted to experience the stoopid fast racers.  It was a blast.  The swim is in a very spectator friendly lagoon and the water temp will hover around wetsuit legal, and it's a flat and fast course.

Do it.... just to say you have

Also, I was pleasantly suprised by Milwaukee as far as the city itself goes.  It's very walker friendly with lots of good restaurants and pubs.  Go eat at Rock Bottom Brewery, then have a pint on the deck by the river.

Edited by emferg 2013-10-04 2:29 PM
2013-10-04 2:27 PM
in reply to: Joes32

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Joes32
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by Leegoocrap What's the course like? Tough, long/short ?

The course is very, very fair.

Milwaukee is a very "doable" city.  It's easy to navigate, not too expensive, lots of close parking by the event.  In terms of logistics I would give it a 9 out of 10.

The swim for the oly is pretty good.  It's a floating start, which is not my favorite, but it's "fine".  One thing that surprised me, but makes perfect sense, is that almost everyone there is a decent swimmer.  You're gonna have a lot more "washing machine" than you do in a regular race, and it lasts quite a bit longer.  There's a narrowing at one of the first buoys that compounds this problem, and then another narrowing at the bridge, which I think was about 400m or so in.  Other than that, it is sheltered, a nice temp (sleeveless is probably ideal), and incredibly easy to sight.  The swim exit ramp is a faching joke, and I personally think it's dangerous, especially for people who have calf, achilles issues, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed they mellow that out for next year. The oly swim was right on distance; the sprint was long by 100-150m, from what I saw and heard.

Transition is HUGE.  I haven't done a lot of events, so I don't have much to compare it to, but it is really big, and that can make it hard to find your bike.  Count on longish t times, but nothing crazy.

Bike mount can be a bit of a cluster too, as there are  surprising number of athletes that don't have a smooth mount (or dismount), and that area can also be a little congested.  Just be ready for that.

The bike. Hmmm.  The bike for the oly is tough, but fair.  There are some decent long, "slow" climbs.  There's on early before the first turn around, which I didn't think was too bad, but it was definitely there.  The bridge is a bit of a suckfest.  It's deceptively long, and you can get some gusts off the lake while you're on it cause you're so exposed.  Again, it's "fine" but it ain't easy.  Once you get off the bridge, things are pretty straightforward.  A few turns, nothing too technical, a turn around which is "fine" and then back to the bridge.  Coming down the bridge the second time you can really build up some speed and there are some crap spots in the road. I stayed aero for that, but in retrospect that was probably dumb.  It wasn't that fast (36mph) just crap roads.  There's a fairly tight set of turns coming back into transition.  Again, just be ready for a little congestion here.  Didn't see a lot of drafting in the oly, but did see big groups during the sprint as they had a timing snafu and bunched up a few waves.

The run is very straightforward.  True to distance, flat, plenty of aid stations.  I would have liked to see it better marked, but I think I was just out of it, and it wasn't necessarily a failing on their part. 

There are lots of cheap places to stay just outside of the city, if you care about that.  I stayed at a Comfort Suites or something like that and it was only $130/night.  Lots of decent food options.

As for Fisherman's dbag comments, I guess I would just say that there are dbags everywhere.  What I saw at this race were a lot of people just really, really excited to be there.  Everyone seemed really nice and there was a fun vibe in the group.

I think even if you can't qualify for Worlds, but you could have a competitive race, it could be worth the trip.  There's something to be said about toeing the line with that many fast athletes.

I liked your review, you forgot about the "wonderful" swim exit!! The bridge wasn't bad, but all the repairs were horrible. The good thing is, is that Milwaukee set a date to redo the bridge and surrounding roads!! So, next year, it won't be a scary, jarring 40mph downhill!! I definitely think if you qualify, you should race. I wasn't as fast as 989 other racers, but I don't care. It was an awesome experience, race and time altogether! Milwaukee was beautiful and the people were amazingly nice. I didn't meet one athlete who was prickish or had an attitude. It was a bunch of fun with like minded people! Oh, and Nationals was my 1st olympic!!

Dude! I totally hammered on that swim exit--see the bold;)  Honestly, when I first saw that thing when I scoped the course the day before, I thought it was literally a joke.  I was waiting for the candid camera crew to pop out.

I heard they might be working on the roads--that's AWESOME!

I'm very impressed with everyone who did that for their first olympic--congratulations!  I bet you never forget it :)

2013-10-04 2:36 PM

User image

New user
Kenosha
I'm in! Qualified at the REV3 in the Dells. Looking forward to the race as it's in my backyard (like Racine 70.3).
2013-10-04 2:36 PM
in reply to: fisherman76

Honestly, I consider it a privilege and an honor to race against the nation. Granted, there will be a lot of egos there, but I doubt I will have many opportunities like this for me in the future. And like someone earlier had said, I think it's a great way to celebrate all the accomplishments throughout the season.
2013-10-04 2:47 PM
in reply to: ColoradoRunner01

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
I did the Sprint this year, plan to do the Olympic and Sprint in 2014.

As written by others, it's a great weekend and a lot of fun. Nice course overall. The swim is in a protected bay, so it's isolated from any waves coming off Lake Michigan. The hills are modest on the bike (first turnaround at about mile 5 and the bridge) and the run is flat and fast.

I don't know about the d-bag comment made above. Everyone I met was exceptionally friendly and excited to be there.

Go for it. It's a great race.

2013-10-04 8:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
I'm looking forward to it! Having Nationals 2014 and Worlds here in Chicago 2015; 2 huge races so close to home!

Yeah, looking at the times from this year at AGN there are some FAST people. Should be really fun though.

There's a group of us that I'm coaching here locally that are all shooting for AGN, and ITU Chicago next year. We'll be starting some group workouts soon so if anyone is interested shoot me a note!
2013-10-04 8:47 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Qualified in the only race I ran in the US last year, but not doing it. I don't know where I'll be in the world when the race rolls around, for starters, but it probably won't be anywhere near Wisconsin. And that seems like an awful lot of travel and money for an Oly. Not kidding myself that I'm national class; I just did a smallish race that happened to be USAT certified, and won my age group (although someone who was older won the race LOL). I'd do it if I lived in the Midwest, though, just for the experience.
2013-10-04 8:54 PM

I qualified but unfortunately it is the same weekend as Steelhead 70.3 which is my 2014 goal. I''ve not been there but it would be nice since it is right across the pond from me. I''ve heard many good things about the race.

Dave
2013-10-04 9:01 PM
in reply to: SHTri

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

i think i've gotten 4 or 5 emails telling me i've qualified this week. if it were closer i would go just for the experience.. but its in Milwaukee WI.

another year maybe.

2013-10-04 10:58 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
How long does registration stay open? I'm kicking it around but haven't decided yet.

2013-10-04 11:15 PM
in reply to: Patrick E

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by Patrick E How long does registration stay open? I'm kicking it around but haven't decided yet.

not too long. i'd register if you want to do it.

2013-10-05 8:45 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Ahh hell... I'm in.

Now I've got a little less than a year to learn how to run.
2013-10-05 8:47 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Leegoocrap Ahh hell... I'm in. Now I've got a little less than a year to learn how to run.

:)

Nice!

We've got a cool JD running thread going in the challenges...

2013-10-09 3:14 PM

Just registered - see you all out there!
2013-10-09 3:15 PM
in reply to: corduroy

User image

Pro
Son is in....race age 17 next year.

2013-10-09 3:20 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Shaping up to be quite the crew out yonder
2013-10-09 4:26 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

New user
Athens, GA
Originally posted by Clempson

i think i've gotten 4 or 5 emails telling me i've qualified this week. if it were closer i would go just for the experience.. but its in Milwaukee WI.

another year maybe.

I drove up from Athens this year, just for the experience. I didn't love the drive enough to do it twice (even if I were to qualify again, which I haven't yet). Otherwise, it was a great weekend.
2013-10-09 4:38 PM
in reply to: rrr8400

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by rrr8400 I know it will sell out, but does anybody know approximately when it typically does? I am assuming I have a little while to decide...

It didn't sell out until early summer this past year, so you definitely have time.

As for the "only go if you're competitive" feeling, I say screw that.  If you earned the slot, you've earned the right to be on that stage participating.   I was anything BUT competitive, and knew that I wouldn't be going in, but I went and took the experience in and enjoyed running down that blue carpet at the end.

Why?  I may never qualify again... so do it while I can.  I did the same with the Hy-Vee 5150 championships.  I wasn't competitive, but it was an experience checked off the bucket list.

In future years, I will skip it if I don't feel I can be competitive, but I can at least do that without any regrets now.

2013-10-10 12:00 AM
in reply to: Exige

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Exige I got 2nd age group at a local USAT olympic and got nothing?

Send an e-mail to USAT.  I have found them to be almost instantly responsive (at least the same day) and willing to help.  If you finished 2nd in your AG at a USAT sanctioned race then you are most likely due an invitation.  It could be that your race has not reported the results yet, or maybe one of the interns at USAT just missed you.  Either way, in my experiences, I have found the employees of USAT to be more than willing to make sure any mistake or oversight is fixed.

2013-10-10 12:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Originally posted by cgregg

Originally posted by rrr8400 I know it will sell out, but does anybody know approximately when it typically does? I am assuming I have a little while to decide...

It didn't sell out until early summer this past year, so you definitely have time.

As for the "only go if you're competitive" feeling, I say screw that.  If you earned the slot, you've earned the right to be on that stage participating.   I was anything BUT competitive, and knew that I wouldn't be going in, but I went and took the experience in and enjoyed running down that blue carpet at the end.

Why?  I may never qualify again... so do it while I can.  I did the same with the Hy-Vee 5150 championships.  I wasn't competitive, but it was an experience checked off the bucket list.

In future years, I will skip it if I don't feel I can be competitive, but I can at least do that without any regrets now.

^^this

If you have never raced in a "National Championship" and you get the chance, don't pass it up.  I've never raced at one (passed each time I qualified and regret it now), but I've been blessed with one really fast kid and another who is just finding her feet so we get to go, but the biggest blessing by far is watching them doing something they love and the friends they have found within the tri community.  Between them we have been to 2 Ironkids National Championships, 2 Youth Elite National Championships, 1 Jr. Elite National Championship, and 1 AG National Championship.  The races are an absolute blast!  Next year I'll follow them to IronKids nationals, Youth and Jr. Elite nationals, AG nationals, and AG World Championship....and the experiences will be worth every minute and every penny....uh...dollar....ok, many dollars and possibly your first born child. Laughing

I don't know about the D-bag factor....that has NOT been our experience.  In fact, my kids have traded texts/tweets/snap chats with some of the fastest triathletes on the planet because of their experience.....the encouragement they've received from these folks for racing and life in general cannot be measured.  It's an incredible atmosphere.

You will get out of it what you put into it.  Spend the weekend, soak it in, go race, and have a ball. It is NOTHING like the local races you usually go to.  Only you will care how you finish.....if you are invited, believe this....you belong there.

On top of it all....Milwaukee is a great host..........with GREAT beer.... isn't that enough all by itself? Laughing

Edited by Left Brain 2013-10-10 1:03 AM

2013-10-10 7:37 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Left Brain Son is in....race age 17 next year.

Which is he doing?

2013-10-10 9:07 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Left Brain Son is in....race age 17 next year.

Which is he doing?

He's started to play around with Olympic distance so he's going to do that one with his eye on qualifying for Chicago Oly distance in 2015 when he'll be race age 18.  He did the sprint last year to qualify for world sprint championship in 2014 and really enjoyed the course in Milwaukee.  He was 4th overall there so that mountain has pretty much been climbed in his mind.

2013-10-10 9:57 AM

Richmond
If you have never raced in a "National Championship" and you get the chance, don't pass it up. I've never raced at one (passed each time I qualified and regret it now), but I've been blessed with one really fast kid and another who is just finding her feet so we get to go, but the biggest blessing by far is watching them doing something they love and the friends they have found within the tri community. Between them we have been to 2 Ironkids National Championships, 2 Youth Elite National Championships, 1 Jr. Elite National Championship, and 1 AG National Championship. The races are an absolute blast! Next year I'll follow them to IronKids nationals, Youth and Jr. Elite nationals, AG nationals, and AG World Championship....and the experiences will be worth every minute and every penny....uh...dollar....ok, many dollars and possibly your first born child.

I don't know about the D-bag factor....that has NOT been our experience. In fact, my kids have traded texts/tweets/snap chats with some of the fastest triathletes on the planet because of their experience.....the encouragement they've received from these folks for racing and life in general cannot be measured. It's an incredible atmosphere.

You will get out of it what you put into it. Spend the weekend, soak it in, go race, and have a ball. It is NOTHING like the local races you usually go to. Only you will care how you finish.....if you are invited, believe this....you belong there.

On top of it all....Milwaukee is a great host..........with GREAT beer.... isn't that enough all by itself?

This is definitely it. I got to watch two younger athletes on my team compete. They were amazing and had an amazing time as well!!

Agreed on the "D_BAG" factor. I didn't meet one person that had an ego or was mouthy or mean. Like I said before, great people, and surprisingly great location! I second going to the canal and having a beer! Even more fun, while having said beer, watching people rent boats and try to dock them!!

About the swim exit, I didn't even see that part of your post that you made bold. I did the pre swim and almost busted my sliding down the exit ramp. It was ridiculous. I hope they have something better planned for 2014. It won't stop me from competing, but something better would be safer.

My team is hopefully bringing around 30-35 of us to compete. Most of us doing both days!

Look forward to seeing everyone out there!!
2013-11-12 1:09 PM
in reply to: Joes32

User image

Melbourne, Florida

I'm bringing this thread back to life solely because I took the plunge and signed up, last week. I've already increased my training (minus a little mishap involving too much speed and a wet road) and have a few Oly tris lined up before August.

Will I win? No.

Will I place? No.

Will I qualify for Chicago? No.

Will I love every moment? You betcha!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Age Group Nationals---anyone else? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Anyone qualifier for age group nationals?

Started by mdiet22
Views: 689 Posts: 2

2011-09-08 7:38 PM 5stones

USAT Age Group Nationals

Started by grit_nugget
Views: 1402 Posts: 10

2007-08-06 10:58 PM MForger18

2007 USAT age group nationals?

Started by xterratri
Views: 1371 Posts: 5

2006-11-09 5:20 PM markdills38

age group nationals results?

Started by anna banana
Views: 1083 Posts: 4

2006-07-09 8:06 PM Manatee Express

Qualifying for age-group nationals

Started by shadowfax
Views: 1428 Posts: 14

2006-05-17 5:27 AM sappho96
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : September 16, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.
date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.

date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.
date : March 10, 2011
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.