General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice for 1st time IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-29 5:21 PM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Advice for 1st time IM
Just noticed today that I'm 110 days away from IMAZ and the big race will be here before I know it. It's been one of those days where I've been reading the board & race reports and wondering if I'm doing enough. All the different subjects - nutrition, long ride training theories, running off the bike on race day, etc.. It really can be paralysis by analysis in this sport...

Anyways, I feel like my training is going well, especially with this being my first 140.6 "training camp." No injuries or burn out yet although the volume will start peaking in August and September. I am training w/ a coach and group for IMAZ so I've been following a regimented plan which incorporates HR training. I've only done one triathlon - 2013 Oceanside 70.3 and finished in 5:43. Not a great time but proved to me that I'm capable of making the jump to 140.6.

The problem is I still feel like sometimes I get buried in all the little details and miss the big picture. What high level advice do some of you IM veterans have for first timers? Maybe a handful of items that you would have really focused on while training for your first IM distance race?

2013-07-29 10:09 PM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: Advice for 1st time IM
This comes from a "veteran" of all of one IM, so take it for what its worth. You say you have a coach and a plan, and I'm sure you've read it, but trust your plan. There is a lot to think about, and as you say, a lot of opportunity to overthink it. So, trust the plan, and things will work out. Just know that the whole weekend of IM Arizona is awesome. You are working towards a great goal, and if you do the training, you'll have a great day. Enjoy the journey, I had to keep reminding myself not to wish myself fast forward to the race day. Its about the whole journey, so enjoy it. Arizona was my first, and it was great. Its a great town to race in, great course for a first timer. Just keep working, its gonna be great!
2013-07-29 11:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Avondale
Devilfan2, IMAZ '13 is also my first IM. I am concerned about cut-off times, but I finished the Leadman 125, the closest I have done to a HIm in 7:30. My goal is to finish upright and within 16:59:59. You are going to do fantastic with a 5:43 HIM in Oceanside! Wave to me as you bike and run passed me.
2013-07-30 2:09 AM
in reply to: Mikeylee

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Just finished IM number 2 and the biggest advice I'd give is trust your training. If you're putting in the work you'll be fine on race day. There's a thousand things you can worry about. Relax, focus on each workout and take it a day at a time. On race day, you'll be ready! Trust your training and good luck to you.
2013-07-30 6:24 AM
in reply to: Patrick E

User image

Expert
The advise about trust your training is good.

Also, nail down your nutrition plan on these long workouts - you should be trying different things on your long workouts now - how many calories do you need/can handle an hour - is it different on the bike than the run? best bet is to try to use what is on course in your training so that you don't have to complicate it by bringing your own stuff.

As for your nerves, I bet a lot of it is because you have only done one triathlon - can you talk to your coach about maybe fitting in another local race between now and late November? I think that will help with your confidence a lot.
2013-07-30 7:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

My advice for a first-timer:

1. Contrary to what some people will tell you, it is all about the bike.  Not meant in a way to minimize the run or anything else.  What I mean is the bike basically sets up your whole day.  People fixate on the run and worry so much about the marathon.  They should fixate on the 112 mile bike ride.  Screw up the bike ride and it doesn't matter how good a runner you are.  Pace the bike wrong and their will be consequences on the run.  Really mess up your bike nutrition and there will be consequences on the run.  Bike beyond your fitness and there will be consequences on the run.  Read race reports here and on ST and I bet half of them mention some sort of cramping, GI distress or whatever.  They'll blame everything from the bike course, the Perform they drank, the salt pills they didn't take, etc.  If we were to drill down on their training and their race day bike execution, I can guarantee you that just about everyone of them either paced the bike wrong (overcooked it and/or biked beyond their abilities) or screwed up their nutrition.

2. Run frequency and overall weekly run volume trumps the long run.

3. Don't worry about running off the bike on race day, especially for an IM.  Your body figures out pretty quick how to shuffle from point A to point B.

4. You don't need to swim 3000-4000 every time you swim.  Do some speed work and get in 2000-2500 3-4x per week and save the long swim day for once a week.

5. If you need a rest day or two or three... take them.  Do not run your training plan into a brick wall.

2013-07-30 5:31 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

My advice for a first-timer:

1. Contrary to what some people will tell you, it is all about the bike.  Not meant in a way to minimize the run or anything else.  What I mean is the bike basically sets up your whole day.  People fixate on the run and worry so much about the marathon.  They should fixate on the 112 mile bike ride.  Screw up the bike ride and it doesn't matter how good a runner you are.  Pace the bike wrong and their will be consequences on the run.  Really mess up your bike nutrition and there will be consequences on the run.  Bike beyond your fitness and there will be consequences on the run.  Read race reports here and on ST and I bet half of them mention some sort of cramping, GI distress or whatever.  They'll blame everything from the bike course, the Perform they drank, the salt pills they didn't take, etc.  If we were to drill down on their training and their race day bike execution, I can guarantee you that just about everyone of them either paced the bike wrong (overcooked it and/or biked beyond their abilities) or screwed up their nutrition.

2. Run frequency and overall weekly run volume trumps the long run.

3. Don't worry about running off the bike on race day, especially for an IM.  Your body figures out pretty quick how to shuffle from point A to point B.

4. You don't need to swim 3000-4000 every time you swim.  Do some speed work and get in 2000-2500 3-4x per week and save the long swim day for once a week.

5. If you need a rest day or two or three... take them.  Do not run your training plan into a brick wall.

good stuff !! esp #1
2013-07-31 1:00 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Trust your coaching and don't be concerned with what other people are doing

Have plans A. B, and C for nutrition.

Have a plan to control the things you can control on race day.  You can't control the waether but you can be prepared for hot or cold. 

The 2 places I see people fall down on race day are 1-nutrition and 2-attitude and you can control both of those things.  You can be all "OMG I have 10K left to run"  you have to be "WOOOHOOO Only 10K left I have run that a million times!!" 

Don't get caught up in time goals and don't let time goals ruin your day.  There are a ton of things that can happen during a race fo that length.  Do the best you can do for YOU on that day and everyday in training.

Don't be afraid to take rest days. Don't be afraid to take an extra one if you need it. I think training for your first esp is very much about teaching your body to handle fatigue.  It will be all you can manage to swim, bike, run, eat, sleep, go to work and keep enough laundry clean you can go to work and train.  It will look like a bomb went off in your house.  But is OK and its worth it Enjoy the journey

2013-07-31 2:03 PM

User image

Hi Pat,

5:43 at Oceanside is good. (I was there). Keep what you are doing and take in that GMAN wrote about "its all by bike". You will do just fine in 2014 IMAZ. It is a relatively flat course, so you should able to manage the bike and save enough legs for the run.

What is your goal for IMAZ? Sub 12:00 ? or sub 11:30 ?

Good luck, I will be there as a volunteer on 11/24 so that I can sign up for 2014 IMAZ for myself.

Joseph
2013-08-06 5:50 PM
in reply to: paradigm777

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks everyone for the valuable advice. Lots of good stuff that I will revisit everytime I hit a mental block.

Totally agree regarding GMAN's bike comments. I noticed how crucial the bike leg is during Oceanside 70.3 - I overcooked the bike which screwed my run. Can't make that same mistake when you have a marathon waiting for you at IMAZ. That said, I feel like my bike fitness is improving which is adding confidence.

To answer a couple other questions -

- I have three races leading up to IMAZ in November. I'm doing Olympic distance races on 8/11 and 9/22 and a HIM on 10/20. I know people have differing opinions about doing races close to Ironman's but this is what my coach recommended so I'm going with it. I hope to really dial in my transitions, form off the bike, and nutrition.
-Goal for IMAZ is sub-12. Will be tough but doable. Like many have said, I'm not going to obsess over that number, rather set it as a goal and know that many uncontrollable factors can cause me to miss that goal time.

My biggest concern at the moment is trying to dial in my run nutrition. After reading several IM race reports, it seems like most folks abandon their run nutrition for various reasons and turn to chicken broth and cola. I can only imagine how difficult it gets at that point in the race...

2013-08-07 8:00 PM

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
As mentioned above, Im learning just how important time in the saddle is. Ive bonked a few times at mile 65 during training, Im learning the hardway but Im plugging along and learning just how important nutrition and fueling are. I have until Nov for IMFL to have it all worked out.
Each long ride is a lesson for me.

2013-08-07 8:06 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Pearland,Tx
seriously taking notes, hope you dont mind thanks annyway
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice for 1st time IM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

My advice for 1st time IMers Pages: 1 2

Started by irondreams
Views: 3562 Posts: 32

2009-12-03 11:04 AM irondreams

1st HIM Orlando, FL May 2010, 1st IM October 2010 Great Floridian

Started by [email protected]
Views: 1258 Posts: 4

2009-10-27 10:46 PM carlwithac

1st Time Tri, tell me about IM Moo 2006

Started by David tri's
Views: 1467 Posts: 8

2008-09-17 6:05 PM David tri's

Least amount of training for a 1st time IM

Started by bravo1
Views: 1088 Posts: 6

2008-05-10 6:43 PM bravo1

How does HIM time relate to IM time?

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 1795 Posts: 12

2005-05-25 9:36 AM Rich Strauss
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 9, 2009
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.

date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???
date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
comments : 1
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips

Reasons for triathlon training.