Other Resources My Cup of Joe » American Ninja Warrior - Who else is obsessed? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-01 7:51 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: American Ninja Warrior - Who else is obsessed?
I know this could turn into a crossfit vs endurance athlete thing, but man, I am really into ANW. This is the third summer that my kids and I make sure to catch every airing. I am more in awe of the people who train for this course than any IM, I have to admit. My 9 year old daughter wants me to build 2inch ledges all over the house so she can train to climb to breakfast on her fingertips. I now think the way to get my son to eat vegetables to stop telling him Macca does it, and tell him the guy he sees every year on ANW eats his.

We missed the chance to go watch auditions in Baltimore. I think next summer we'll be on top of it and actually go watch auditions live.

Any other fans?

2013-08-01 9:34 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: American Ninja Warrior - Who else is obsessed?

I've been watching the show for at least 6-8 years. If you have G4, you can catch the original version (Japan I think) and it's MUCH better than the American version. Less tearjerker stories and more 'fun' stuff.

It's a great showcase of fitness. I would say that the athletes who are Parkour, Rock Climbing, and strength/functional fitness trained are the more successful. The Parkour athletes are so agile and the climbers have amazing hand and arm strength!

2013-08-02 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL
My son and I watch it as often as we can. The agility of these athletes is pretty amazing. I would love to try one of the early courses just to see how I would do, but I definitely wouldn't want the cameras rolling.
2013-08-02 11:18 AM
in reply to: Comet

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Comet

I've been watching the show for at least 6-8 years. If you have G4, you can catch the original version (Japan I think) and it's MUCH better than the American version. Less tearjerker stories and more 'fun' stuff.

It's a great showcase of fitness. I would say that the athletes who are Parkour, Rock Climbing, and strength/functional fitness trained are the more successful. The Parkour athletes are so agile and the climbers have amazing hand and arm strength!

Oh, yeah. Enough of the "Americanized" B.S. and get on with the actual competition.
2013-08-02 11:47 AM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Master
Originally posted by 1stTimeTri

Oh, yeah. Enough of the "Americanized" B.S. and get on with the actual competition.

Agree with you guys 95%. However, without a few backstories, my kids wouldn't see the skills used in "real life". The climbing walls house inspired my husband and son...they love to go to the climbing gym, but to have some at home????? So cool!

2013-08-02 12:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Queen BTich
Originally posted by4agoodlife

Agree with you guys 95%. However, without a few backstories, my kids wouldn't see the skills used in "real life". The climbing walls house inspired my husband and son...they love to go to the climbing gym, but to have some at home????? So cool!

I can see that. However, this can be achieved with a less than 15-30 sec clip rather than teaser shots the whole episode, then another teaser, then commercial, then announce the guy again, THEN show the at-home try out video. Just do a 15sec clip of their try out, say his name and...GO!! They could get twice as many contestants that way. Even just to watch them bite the dust.

Edited by Comet 2013-08-02 12:41 PM

2013-08-02 12:43 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I like the original Japanese version better...

I know I couldn't come close to doing it.  Too big and not enough upper body strength to do all the hanging stuff, but I'm surprised that more people can't do it.

I always thought competitive rock climbers could kills it.  The parkour guys seem to do pretty well.

2013-08-02 1:31 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

My boys and I love it, but my wife hates it.
Then again, we love Wipeout too... lol

I suspect I could get through the parts of the course that don't require any upper body strength...  lol

2013-08-02 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by4agoodlife

I can see that. However, this can be achieved with a less than 15-30 sec clip rather than teaser shots the whole episode, then another teaser, then commercial, then announce the guy again, THEN show the at-home try out video. Just do a 15sec clip of their try out, say his name and...GO!! They could get twice as many contestants that way. Even just to watch them bite the dust.

Ohhhh, yes. Definitely LESS than what they have!

I was so rooting for the girl the other night who set the record. She was heartbreakingly close Frown

2013-08-02 4:21 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

They are studs.

'nuff said

2013-08-02 5:48 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Elite
Originally posted by Kido

I like the original Japanese version better...

I know I couldn't come close to doing it.  Too big and not enough upper body strength to do all the hanging stuff, but I'm surprised that more people can't do it.

I always thought competitive rock climbers could kills it.  The parkour guys seem to do pretty well.

Ditto on the Japanese version being better.
It's tough for me to get too into it as it just seems tailor-made for folks with gymnastic or climbing body-frames.
btw, I'm with tuwood too, Wipeout is a fun family show. And to all of you, big balls.

2013-08-03 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4819256

User image

Elite
I loooooove it! I don't mind some of the back stories, find most of them interesting and inspiring but at times a bit melodramatic. I am in awe of the upper body strength these men and especially the women have, makes me want to push myself harder.

I think a rock climber will go the farthest this year--their strength and agility is impressive! I DVR all the G4 episodes so I don't miss a thing!
2013-08-03 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
It's funny how so many of you guys think there's too much backstory. I barely notice it, especially compared to Kona coverage, which let's be honest, is pretty over the top. Yet that stuff is instrumental in the pursuit for many of us who first saw ironman on tv, myself included. There's no one on ANW who is just making a 17 hour cutoff, they all have to be total athletes. My kids definitely love the whole presentation.

I will, however, always assume the Japanese version is better, like Iron Chef.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » American Ninja Warrior - Who else is obsessed? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ninja Warrior!!

Started by Comet
Views: 1644 Posts: 6

2013-07-03 9:03 PM jmcconne

Diemon Dave's Ninja school

Started by jford2309
Views: 1526 Posts: 4

2011-05-19 3:32 PM yarislab

Ninja Warrior

Started by gearboy
Views: 1277 Posts: 14

2008-07-09 9:46 AM chadtower

Anyone know about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Started by MomX3
Views: 803 Posts: 9

2007-03-16 1:17 PM Bluejack

what is obsessed?

Started by naisqu
Views: 1003 Posts: 21

2006-08-17 8:33 AM naisqu
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2009
comments : 0
This third and final yoga for triathlete sequence is perfect for following up your training day help you feel more focused, aligned, rejuvenated and recovered.

date : November 6, 2008
Find out how the Flexible Warrior yoga poses can help triathletes through warmup, cross-training and recovery sequences. This segment is a series of active, range of motion poses used for warming up.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.
date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.

date : December 4, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
At ADA’s annual meeting registered dietitians presented the following information that addresses some of the nutrition questions and concerns of health-conscious exercisers and competitive athletes.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.