General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It is Official- Ironman Chattanooga Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-08-15 12:38 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: It is Official- Ironman Chattanooga
Any guesses on how long to sell out? My thinking is, being an inaugural event it will sell out in a few hours. What say you?

2013-08-15 12:44 PM

User image

New user

Chicago
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by erincs
Originally posted by Clempson
Originally posted by GAUG3
Originally posted by erincs Does anyone from the area have any elevation profiles or maps of the course?
____/\/\/\/\/\/\_/\/\/\___/\/\/\/\/\/\_/\/\/\/\/\___ x2 This will give you an idea: http://www.mapmyride.com/us/chattanooga-tn/chattanooga-waterfront-b...
It says total of 2100ft of climbling on the bike course. Isn't that significantly less than Lake Placid?
that's also using mapmyride. so increase by a factor of 3 and you will be a little closer.
The 2100 ft is what is listed on the IM Chattanooga bike course description, not mapmyride.

Wouldn't be surprised if people find it to be more like 3,000, but still sounds like they're generally avoiding substantial climbs. Could go over several times that if they wanted.

Sorry if this is a stupid question....but the website says 2100 foot "climb:....is that the same as "gain"? I'll be deciding between this race and Louisville for next year and being that it'll be my first IM, I'd like to chose the least difficult one.
2013-08-15 12:47 PM
in reply to: Diesel J

User image

Signal Mountain, Tennessee
Originally posted by Diesel J

Originally posted by erincs Does anyone from the area have any elevation profiles or maps of the course?
____/\/\/\/\/\/\_/\/\/\___/\/\/\/\/\/\_/\/\/\/\/\___ x2 This will give you an idea: http://www.mapmyride.com/us/chattanooga-tn/chattanooga-waterfront-b...
It says total of 2100ft of climbling on the bike course. Isn't that significantly less than Lake Placid?
that's also using mapmyride. so increase by a factor of 3 and you will be a little closer.
The 2100 ft is what is listed on the IM Chattanooga bike course description, not mapmyride.

Wouldn't be surprised if people find it to be more like 3,000, but still sounds like they're generally avoiding substantial climbs. Could go over several times that if they wanted.

Sorry if this is a stupid question....but the website says 2100 foot "climb:....is that the same as "gain"? I'll be deciding between this race and Louisville for next year and being that it'll be my first IM, I'd like to chose the least difficult one.

There are no 2100 foot climbs in Chattanooga! It's gain.
2013-08-15 12:48 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Rogillio Any guesses on how long to sell out? My thinking is, being an inaugural event it will sell out in a few hours. What say you?

It seems so similar to Louisville (river swim, hills, area of the country, time of year, weather (?) etc.) - and Louisville just sold out today for the race in a few weeks. 

Tough to guess.

2013-08-15 12:53 PM
in reply to: jbholcom

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by jbholcom

There are no 2100 foot climbs in Chattanooga! It's gain.

Haha, that would be awesome! They could half that, more than once too.

2013-08-15 1:03 PM

User image

A lot of people seem to be worried about the bike "climbs" on this course. There will be some rollers, but no true mountain climbs. It also won't be as flat as IMFL. Count on about 3-4k of total accent which is not much over 112 miles. I've ridden this area a quite a few times with my Garmin 510.

2013-08-15 1:27 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Rogillio Any guesses on how long to sell out? My thinking is, being an inaugural event it will sell out in a few hours. What say you?

It seems so similar to Louisville (river swim, hills, area of the country, time of year, weather (?) etc.) - and Louisville just sold out today for the race in a few weeks. 

Tough to guess.

With all of the buzz, my guess is that IM Chattanooga sells out within hours. My Facebook news feed is running nonstop about this event. People in Chattanooga are stoked. There is absolutely no way to compare Louisville to Chattanooga.
2013-08-15 1:42 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Alabama

Tough to guess.

But IMKY sold out on the first day in 2006. I did the first one in 2007. So my thinking is there will be a lot of locals that will want to do it just because it's in their backyard (like me). So I think the first year it will sell out fast and then, yeah, be like Louisville afterwards.

OTOH, since it is so similar to Louisville and pretty close to Louisville maybe it won't be in high demand?!

;-) Kinda like predicting what the stockmarket is gonna do.....
2013-08-15 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
I'm in!

Tons of things for the family to do, while I beat the crap out of myself.
2013-08-15 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
I'm in!

2013-08-15 2:04 PM
in reply to: MyThreeSons

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

I was hoping for an ocean swim but oh well.  Now I have a choice to make.

IMFL - 7.5hr drive, pancake flat course all around, ocean swim

IMChooChoo - 3.5hr drive, rolling course, current swim

choices choices....

2013-08-15 2:05 PM

User image

Total guess...but I'm going with 8 days...which to me is still pretty fast for an inagural event with limited info.  Of the new IMs in the past couple of years, other than NYC, I don't think IMMT, IMLT, IM Boulder, or IMC (whistler) sold out on the first day.  My memory could be bad though.

2013-08-15 2:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user

Chicago
Originally posted by Jason N

Total guess...but I'm going with 8 days...which to me is still pretty fast for an inagural event with limited info.  Of the new IMs in the past couple of years, other than NYC, I don't think IMMT, IMLT, IM Boulder, or IMC (whistler) sold out on the first day.  My memory could be bad though.

For you veterans...do they typically post course information for inaugural races (elevation maps, etc) before registration opens?

Edited by Diesel J 2013-08-15 2:44 PM
2013-08-15 2:47 PM
in reply to: MyThreeSons

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by MyThreeSons

I'm in!

You doing a double now? :-)

If you are in.....I guess I am too brother. You got $650 I can borry. ;-)
2013-08-15 2:49 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by Jason N

For you veterans...do they typically post course information for inaugural races (elevation maps, etc) before registration opens?

Found this posted with the disclaimer of subject to change. All courses have that though.

ETA: Nothing in there really looks that substantial. But for you I would recommend getting out of the city from time to time to get more practice on hills. Best I can tell from an elevation map, you get territory not that different from the race while staying within a few hours (or less) of the city.

Edited by brigby1 2013-08-15 2:55 PM
2013-08-15 2:55 PM

We will have course info up soon. They will be subject to change.

Swim will be 2.4 miles down stream. We will bus athletes to the start. Spectators will have a great view from the Riverwalk. The swim exit will be at Ross's Landing before heading up to the parking lot for transition.

Bike course can be seen at http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/265712445
Ive used several Garmins to track elevation gain and gotten numbers between 2000 and 2400ft of climbing.

Run course will be up soon as well.

Finish will be on Broad Street in front of the Tennessee Aquarium.

Im really excited about this race. Ive spent a lot of time in Chattanooga with the local organizing committee and the bike course is a ton of fun to ride. The run will show off downtown Chattanooga. There are so many things for families to do in and around Chattanooga.

Brian Myrick- RD

2013-08-15 2:58 PM
in reply to: bhmyrick

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by bhmyrick We will have course info up soon. They will be subject to change. Swim will be 2.4 miles down stream. We will bus athletes to the start. Spectators will have a great view from the Riverwalk. The swim exit will be at Ross's Landing before heading up to the parking lot for transition. Bike course can be seen at http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/265712445Ive used several Garmins to track elevation gain and gotten numbers between 2000 and 2400ft of climbing. Run course will be up soon as well. Finish will be on Broad Street in front of the Tennessee Aquarium. Im really excited about this race. Ive spent a lot of time in Chattanooga with the local organizing committee and the bike course is a ton of fun to ride. The run will show off downtown Chattanooga. There are so many things for families to do in and around Chattanooga. Brian Myrick- RD

Thanks for the info Brian, and for the link to the bike course - this might call for some reconnaissance riding before race day...   

2013-08-15 3:09 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Awesome! Thanks for the course link.
2013-08-15 3:11 PM
in reply to: bhmyrick

User image

Sylvania, Ga
Thanks for the course info, I may have to check that out as well.
2013-08-15 3:48 PM
in reply to: LukeBoswell

User image

Elite
Kind of indifferent about the venue but it does look like a "user friendly" course......down river swim like IMNYC, not much climbing like IMLP.

Good luck to those looking to race there........for me , it's a maybe down the road.
2013-08-15 3:52 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by jbholcom

Tough to guess.

With all of the buzz, my guess is that IM Chattanooga sells out within hours. My Facebook news feed is running nonstop about this event. People in Chattanooga are stoked. There is absolutely no way to compare Louisville to Chattanooga.

So for someone not familiar with that area of the country (besides doing IMLOU) - what are the big differences between the two?

2013-08-15 8:49 PM

User image

Master

RidewithGPS says 5,000, but it may be a tad high. So maybe 4-4500?
2013-08-15 9:00 PM
in reply to: sand101

This is the closest IM to eastern N.C. and still a 10 hour and 40 minute drive. Blah.
2013-08-15 10:11 PM
in reply to: 7ofClubs

User image

Champion
MA
The website is down for maintenance right now what is the date for the race?
2013-08-16 5:32 AM
in reply to: KathyG

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It is Official- Ironman Chattanooga Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

CEEPO becomes Ironman's Official Bike Sponsor

Started by Mimir98
Views: 2354 Posts: 1

2008-12-22 10:32 AM Mimir98

I am an official triathlete!

Started by rmattison78
Views: 828 Posts: 7

2007-08-08 12:51 PM enginerd

I Am An Official Triathlete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Shannon3
Views: 1238 Posts: 19

2007-06-23 10:22 PM mbydalek

Its official...I AM A TRIATHLETE!!!

Started by orphious
Views: 1097 Posts: 16

2007-05-08 1:32 PM docswim24

It's official: Ironman Louisville 2007 (and 08-11)

Started by BGTwinDad
Views: 1660 Posts: 11

2006-10-04 1:02 PM shadowfax
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: