GA Multi-Sports
87F / 31C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 59m 43s
Overall Rank = 209/263
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 32/37
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00 AM to have breakfast...two cups of applesause and Frusion Smoothie. Had everything loaded in the van so I didn't have to do any of that. Stopped by Wal-Mart on the way to the race. Picked up some bottled water and Cliff Bars. Got to the race site. Had to park about 1/4 mile from the transition area. Lugged my stuff down, picked up pre-race packet, then setup my transition area.
Event warmup:

~10 minute run with 3 x 10 second sprints. ~10 minute bike. ~10 minute swim.
Swim
  • 37m 4s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start was time trial style. We lined up behind the swim start line in race number order. They let two start every 5 seconds. This was VERY nice...virtually no running into bodies throughout the entire swim. My new AquaSphere Swim Mask worked very well. No leakage and I could see really well while sighting. Other than my performance, it was all good. That swim zapped a good bit of the energy I had for this race.
What would you do differently?:

Need MUCH more OWS practice. I'm finding this is SO much different than pool swimming. My body is just not conditioned for it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

I was so winded from the swim, it took me forever to get my shoes clipped into my pedals. This was not good, as the start was on an incline. Everything else was fine. Should have taken in some more nutrition at this point, though. All I did was take a couple bites out of an apple.

Get my body accustomed to sources of energy/nutrition that can be consumed quickly.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 19s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.54 mile/hr
Comments:

I was dissappointed with how I felt from the beginning. The swim took a lot out of me and I'd never experienced starting a bike ride worn out already. Then my butt was hurting pretty much the whole way (combination of being in the car all day yesterday and the slim Tri-Short padding). I had good strength in my legs for the short hills, especially if I could stay in the aerobar position. Some of the longer hills got to me though.

Probably skip the bike warmup. I also need to do some more swim/bike bricks.
Transition 2
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Decided I'd take my time in T2, to see if I could get some energy to run. Drank some Gatorade and took a couple bites out of a Cliff Bar. Mostly a good transition.

Nothing I can think of...unless there's a way to magically get some immediate energy at this point.
Run
  • 1h 01m 55s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Other than, "I sucked", I'm not sure what else to say. Actually, I was feeling good the first two miles. After that, I was toast. Just couldn't get my legs moving.

Maybe skip the run warmup as well. Longer bike/run bricks. A race simulation the week before race week.
Post race
Warm down:

Headed straight to the food. Tried to stay standing/walking around for as long as possible. Signed up for a massage (unfortunately, I didn't get called before the award ceremony when they quit).

Got my stuff out of the transition area and headed to the van. I observed that triathletes (including myself) are really good at carrying a ton of stuff while riding their bike back to their car. I had a bucket full of my stuff hanging on one brake hood and a medium sized cooler hung on the other. I think I could have counted then number of steps I took the "safe" way on one hand before I decided to give that a try. It worked just fine. Of course, the smart guys had tri-bags.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I wasn't expecting to be so winded after the swim. And my body did NOT want to run after the bike.

Event comments:

The volunteers were awesome, of course. And the number and locations of aid/water stations on the run course were perfect. The bike course was well marked. The swim course could have been better. Apparently yesterday's weather (intermittent rain) hindered a better setup??? I wasn't able to see the buoys until I was approaching the first right turn. And then, on the way back, there were two (I think) sections where we were supposed to swim in about 2' of water. Several people just got up and walked. I just stayed horizontal and pushed off the bottom of the lake.

And I was dissappointed to not get a massage. I guess I'll just have to finish faster next time so I can sign up higher on the list. The award ceremony was kind of sad...they did it in the middle of a field and the announcer didn't have any amplification.

Still, a good and well organized race. And though I was dissappointed with my performance, I feel like it was a great accomplishment. I learned quite a bit from my first Olympic distance triathlon. I'm glad I made it under 3 hours. In a few days, I'll be looking forward to doing better at this race next year.

Last updated: 2006-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:04 | 1640 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 36/37
Overall: 0/263
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri-Shorts
Course: Stay right of the buoys...straight out, turn right twice, then back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:16:19 | 24.85 miles | 19.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/37
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Troup County country roads around West Point Lake. Hills-a-pleanty. No real big hills, though.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:01:55 | 06.21 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/37
Performance: Bad
Mile 1 - 8:31 Mile 2 - 9:17 Mile 3 - 9:36 Mile 4 - 10:16 Mile 5 - 11:36 ("humbled"...comes to mind) Mile 6 - 10:39 Last .21 - 1:56
Course: Out, across the dam + a little ways, then back. Slightly uphill the first couple miles, then mostly flat until the downhill during the last couple miles on the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-23 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, MO
Subject: West Point Lake Triathlon

2006-07-23 10:16 PM
in reply to: #490427

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: West Point Lake Triathlon
Nice work my man.  You did great especially in 87 degrees heat.  Sorry about the massage.  Can't help ya there.  You were smoking on that bike.  Yeah warming up for the run is futile.  Wish they started more tri's that way.    Take it easy for a a couple days!!
2006-07-24 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna

Nice job out there yesterday.  You put in a solid performance for all 3 events and it sounds like you are taking a lot from the race.

I completely concur about not being able to see the buoys during the swim.  I was just following the feet splashes in front of me hoping that people knew where they were going.

Have fun recovering and relaxing for a few days.  And good luck training for your next!

2006-07-24 9:31 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

And though I was dissappointed with my performance, I feel like it was a great accomplishment.

Whatchutalkinbout Willis ... a sub 3:00 hr first Oly is a great benchmark for your training, especially given the shallow water conditions, rolling hills and heat + humidity of July.

Having followed your training blog, I would guess that the OWS might have had less to do with the body than the mind. A problem with swimming in the open water as opposed to the pool other than sighting is that it is difficult to pace yourself as you have no real point of reference  to gauge your speed.  Add race day adrenaline and you might have a haphazard pace?

All in all, though, the idea of swim to bike bricks is a great idea.  I too feel a little disorientated getting out of the water and, as a result, have posted some picnic T1 times.

Nutrition?  Try taking gels + perhaps some Clif Shot Blocks for electroyltes. (Just remember to drink a little plain water when taking a gel to help aid digestion).

You did well, my friend.  Congratulations on notching an Oly in your belt!

2006-07-24 1:19 PM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah
Nice job on your first Oly!!  They are tough... tougher than you'd expect-it was for me too.  I had a similar experience with my race (my first Oly) a week ago so I can completely relate (My numbers were very similar).  I'd say you did very well considering it was your first and you shouldn't feel bad- it's tough to post good numbers in the dead heat of July.  I think it's awesome you did it though- it shows guts to sign up for an Oly as early in your "tri career" as it is (it's your second race ever isn't it?) You did well too- I've been watching your logs and you've been consistently hammering out awesome workouts and huge volumes so it's no surprise.  Races are just tough.  I've had similar results almost every time I race, so you're definitely not alone when you talk about your experience. Just remember to remind yourself... how many couldn't even do one leg of that course?  Alot of people, yet you're one of the dudes who can bust out all three (being out three hours is not easy... takes you right to your energy threshold)!  Nice job!  Keep it up.  I can't wait to hear how much improvement you see the next time around!
2006-07-24 5:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

Pick up the phone and schedule a Much Deserved Massage.  You did awesome.  Can I summarize for you?  You had surgery, you had a bike crash in your first Duo (and still finished), you manage to take care of a family and train for a couple of triathlons in one summer. 

You Get Major Props!

2006-07-24 6:02 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

Great job!  I really try to glide, reach and relax during the swim.  I actually like open water better (no flip turns!). 

Keep it up.  Look'n good! 

2006-07-24 7:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
Outstanding !!  That's all I got to say 'bout that !!
2006-07-24 10:00 PM

User image

Well done!  Don't be so hard on yourself.  Give yourself a pat on the back and then have someone give you a  back massage!

2006-07-29 5:48 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

CONGRATULATIONS on completing your first Olympic Distance Triathlon.  You have NOTHING to be down about.  You beat 3 hours, that's a major milestone!  6 Months ago could you have done that??? My guess is probably not.  Your training has been good and consistent, and you learned MANY lessons it sounds like from the race itself!  Plus -- It sounds like you had fun as well.  I'm with you on the TT style start.  They did that at the Lifetime Fitness Tri as well, and I LOVED it! 

I'm doing my first Olympic next week -- I hope I can pull of as good of a performance as you did! 

CONGRATULATIONS!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » West Point Lake Triathlon Rss Feed