General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can I call myself an ultra runner now? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-20 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Can I call myself an ultra runner now?
Half joking. In honor of my 36th birthday I went out and ran 36 (actually ended up being 37 and change) miles on Sunday. I've been running for quite some time and have a fair amount of volume in these legs but leading up to Sunday I was wondering exactly what the he!! I was thinking. My running has been put way on the back burner for a while now which left me wondering if I was even going to be able to cover the distance and survive. Surprisingly enough, it really wasn't that bad at all! Granted I slowed down and took it easy on the run but honestly, I've felt much more banged up after marathons. Sunday evening I was a bit sore but after some splashing in the pool Monday morning I feel great with no residual fatigue/pain/tightness. I guess I should finally look to knock an official ultra out one of these days. How tore down does one typically feel after "racing" an ultra? I'm signing up for the solo Run6 Trans Rockies run for next year.

Blatant front door brag.

Edited by thebigb 2013-08-20 12:20 PM

2013-08-20 12:19 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Can I call myself an ultra runner now?
No. Happy Birthday! Wink
2013-08-20 12:23 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by Asalzwed

No. Happy Birthday! Wink

Oh man, I was just about to buy a sticker too!

2013-08-20 12:27 PM

User image

Seattle

It would be a reaaaaaly skewed oval sticker that says "thirty-seven and some change"

In all seriousness, it will be cool to see how you like it if you end up doing an ultra. Eventually I would like to do one but I will probably wait a few years for sure. 

2013-08-20 12:46 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

It would be a reaaaaaly skewed oval sticker that says "thirty-seven and some change"

In all seriousness, it will be cool to see how you like it if you end up doing an ultra. Eventually I would like to do one but I will probably wait a few years for sure. 

I was actually thinking of one that says "Almost 60k" It's going to be a while before I actually sign up for one as well. As much as I'd like to this fall/winter I have to focus on biking and swimming instead. I do not want to have a bad IMAZ performance next year.
2013-08-20 12:52 PM

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Originally posted by thebigb

No. Happy Birthday! Wink

Oh man, I was just about to buy a sticker too!

50K+ = ultra, so I vote yes. Get yourself a sticker!

2013-08-20 1:49 PM

User image

Pro

Normally I'd say 'no', and that you'd have to do it in a sanctioned race/run but... it was like 110 degrees on Sunday.

so, I'll give you a pass on that one.

2013-08-20 3:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Chicago

Half joking. In honor of my 36th birthday I went out and ran 36 (actually ended up being 37 and change) miles on Sunday. I've been running for quite some time and have a fair amount of volume in these legs but leading up to Sunday I was wondering exactly what the he!! I was thinking. My running has been put way on the back burner for a while now which left me wondering if I was even going to be able to cover the distance and survive. Surprisingly enough, it really wasn't that bad at all! Granted I slowed down and took it easy on the run but honestly, I've felt much more banged up after marathons. Sunday evening I was a bit sore but after some splashing in the pool Monday morning I feel great with no residual fatigue/pain/tightness. I guess I should finally look to knock an official ultra out one of these days. How tore down does one typically feel after "racing" an ultra? I'm signing up for the solo Run6 Trans Rockies run for next year.

Blatant front door brag.

You're like the new caballo blanco. Er, that is, you run through the hot desert for fun.

Edited by mr2tony 2013-08-20 3:48 PM
2013-08-20 4:00 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by mr2tony

Blatant front door brag.

You're like the new caballo blanco. Er, that is, you run through the hot desert for fun.

You know, when I was working on the golf course I was called "pan blanco"...
2013-08-20 4:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Your question is pretty timely to me as I just ran my first ultra last Saturday.  I've done 5 marathons and 2 IM's over the past two years so I have some basis for comparison.  In fact, a friend of mine that was there asked me right after the race which was tougher, an IM or a 50 miler.  For me, there was no debate, I felt worse in the later stages and after the IM's.  I think I even felt more intense post-race pain and discomfort from the marathons but there are some differences.

I think the intensity and faster pace generate so much more pounding on the legs during a marathon.  So muscle pain and discomfort were greater with the marathon but energy levels and thus recovery has actually been slower for me with the ultra.  What surprised me is how mentally tired I continue to be.  My physical recovery is taking a little longer.  I usually am swimming or spinning lightly after one day off from a marathon but I'm two days out now I really am going to have to force myself to do anything this evening if at all.

Sounds like you would have no problem with an ultra, given I guess that you just did one but I'd encourage you to participate in an official one.  It was one of the greatest, most rewarding experiences in my life. 

Edited by popsracer 2013-08-20 4:58 PM
2013-08-20 5:24 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by popsracer

Your question is pretty timely to me as I just ran my first ultra last Saturday.  I've done 5 marathons and 2 IM's over the past two years so I have some basis for comparison.  In fact, a friend of mine that was there asked me right after the race which was tougher, an IM or a 50 miler.  For me, there was no debate, I felt worse in the later stages and after the IM's.  I think I even felt more intense post-race pain and discomfort from the marathons but there are some differences.

I think the intensity and faster pace generate so much more pounding on the legs during a marathon.  So muscle pain and discomfort were greater with the marathon but energy levels and thus recovery has actually been slower for me with the ultra.  What surprised me is how mentally tired I continue to be.  My physical recovery is taking a little longer.  I usually am swimming or spinning lightly after one day off from a marathon but I'm two days out now I really am going to have to force myself to do anything this evening if at all.

Sounds like you would have no problem with an ultra, given I guess that you just did one but I'd encourage you to participate in an official one.  It was one of the greatest, most rewarding experiences in my life. 

Congrats, that's a heck of an accomplishment! Oddly enough when finishing up all I could think was, "dang, only 13 more miles and we can make it a 50 miler".

2013-08-20 6:09 PM

User image

Denver, CO
Damn dude, that is a hell of a training run. Happy Birthday.

Just get out a sharpie and a plain t-shirt, make your own race t-shirt and count it!

I think a celebratory beer is in order!
2013-08-20 6:37 PM

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
Isn't this how Dean Karnazes got his start?

Happy b day!
2013-08-20 6:41 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
You've clearly proven that you are crazy enough to become an ultra runner. Heck, it's August and you're in Phoenix -- you get extra crazy points for that.

But not yet an "ultra runner". You probably have to be habitually doing outlandish trail runs to call yourself that.

(Does one marathon make somebody a marathoner?)

Happy Birthday! I'm looking forward to the 50th.
2013-08-20 9:10 PM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Well Done!! Your race shirt: 1ST PLACE - HAPPY BIRTHDAY NEARY 60K PERSONAL ULTRA FOR MAD MEN
2014-08-25 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Another year down

2014-08-25 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
I think an ultra runner would call that a training run.
Great job!
2014-08-25 2:50 PM

User image

Exton, PA
I think you need pictures crossing the finish line for it to count, accompanied by GPS data
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can I call myself an ultra runner now? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Can I now call myself a triathlete?

Started by runningfree11
Views: 1595 Posts: 13

2011-03-21 9:56 AM AV842

Beginner Runner (calling all runners) Pages: 1 2

Started by MineralMike
Views: 2090 Posts: 28

2010-03-25 7:27 AM jcnipper

I feel like when I call myself a "triathlete" people over-rate me

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1797 Posts: 13

2009-09-27 12:26 AM metafizx

Ultra runners, need your advice!

Started by grvfrog
Views: 1134 Posts: 14

2006-06-16 9:21 AM captantony

Can I call myself a Triathlete?

Started by Debbie
Views: 1006 Posts: 9

2004-08-30 10:41 PM Debbie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Alcohol and athletics is a dangerous duo. Serious recreational runners drink more than their sedentary counterparts. This article lists several of the negative consequences of alcohol.

date : December 17, 2007
author : GloriaTouchet
comments : 2
As women, many times our identity is lost by all that we do and everyone that we take care of. In the end, I accomplished that and so much more. Along the way, I rejuvenated and redefined myself.
date : March 5, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
There was a long run from the water to the transition area at the London Tri but I quickly found my bike and headed out onto the road.

date : October 30, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 1
Running doesn’t cause injuries – runners do. Nine out of ten times, running injuries occur because you’re overdoing something. You’re running too far, too fast, or too much.
date : October 2, 2005
author : ChiRunning
In order to improve your running efficiency and enjoy that last leg of every race, there are three important “rules of the road” to follow.

date : July 31, 2005
author : smeeko
No matter what technique you use, running still remains a sport that requires “pain and suffering.” Technique-only training will not make you a fast runner if you don’t practice to be one.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
A lot of us don’t spend too much time worrying about stretching and strengthening exercises for our lower back.