General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If you miss the race's cutoff time but they still give you a medal, do you feel like you earned it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-08-21 11:40 AM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: If you miss the race's cutoff time but they still give you a medal, do you feel like you earned
Since the medal is just a souvenir, sure.

2013-08-21 11:48 AM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: If you miss the race's cutoff time but they still give you a medal, do you feel like you earned
One of you guys that is good with audio/video need to make the ironman version of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNnzi4NcKKY

2013-08-21 11:52 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by mrbbrad
Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by mrbbrad

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by mrbbrad I don't miss cutoffs
Shouldn't this be accompanied by that picture of you skateboarding? If memory serves.

You want young me or old me?

Wearing cutoffs.
You two, FTW.
2013-08-21 4:07 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
If I had missed the cutoff or had not finished in the time allotted, I would not take a medal. I personally wouldn't feel I had earned it appropriately. The rules state you must finish in X time, and if I didn't, then I didn't meet the requirements of the race. Thus I would not take a medal.

That's just me. What each person chooses to do in that scenario is their own choice and I certainly don't judge them for that. I just personally wouldn't take it.

2013-08-21 9:04 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Champion
MA

Why do you ask?

In the new format of IM you don't always know if you made the cut offs especially the swim.

Think if you would continue if you were xxx distance from finish line, if it was midnight. Many would to follow their dream and finish the distance despite not being an official finisher.

Medals are cool but I don't race for them....the journey is what is important to me.

2013-08-21 9:21 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Elite
No I would not feel like.I.finished it properly, so medal in.drawer but I would.wear the t-shirt. I do not hold the same regard for the t-shirt...

2013-08-21 9:48 PM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
The only real ironman are Kona finishers who finish in sub 9:30. Everyone who finishes an ironman with less than 4000 ft elevation on the bike, swim in a wetsuit, or run less than a 4 hour marathon should be ashamed.

Amazing how we can get so elitist when maybe we should thrive on each others accomplishments progressing the sport.
2013-08-21 10:09 PM
in reply to: kstater39

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by kstater39

The only real ironman are Kona finishers who finish in sub 9:30. Everyone who finishes an ironman with less than 4000 ft elevation on the bike, swim in a wetsuit, or run less than a 4 hour marathon should be ashamed.

Amazing how we can get so elitist when maybe we should thrive on each others accomplishments progressing the sport.

Don't really understand how this thread has made us sound "elitist". Finishing an Ironman is a huge accomplishment and should be treated as such. However if you don't finish in 17 hours, as stated by the rules, you didn't finish. Simple as that. You have to draw a line somewhere and that's where it's been drawn. If not why not 24 hours? 48?
2013-08-21 10:14 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by kstater39 The only real ironman are Kona finishers who finish in sub 9:30. Everyone who finishes an ironman with less than 4000 ft elevation on the bike, swim in a wetsuit, or run less than a 4 hour marathon should be ashamed. Amazing how we can get so elitist when maybe we should thrive on each others accomplishments progressing the sport.

Go dude!!!  LMAO  Laughing

2013-08-21 10:15 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
fork yeah
2013-08-21 11:19 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Originally posted by KathyG

Why do you ask?

In the new format of IM you don't always know if you made the cut offs especially the swim.

Think if you would continue if you were xxx distance from finish line, if it was midnight. Many would to follow their dream and finish the distance despite not being an official finisher.

Medals are cool but I don't race for them....the journey is what is important to me.

As I mentioned this is not Ironman specific per my first post, some people just took it that way In general, no matter whether it's a local 5K, an Ironman, a century, etc. Just racing in general.

2013-08-22 5:32 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Take it? Probably.

Do anything with it? Doubtful.

Cutoffs are primarily a way for course directors to manage the race. In the traditional case, if you miss the cutoff, they don't let you continue because they have to reopen roads and they want to release their support staff. I volunteered at Steelhead a few times, and one year, I was asked to be the cutoff judge from the bike. I had to tell the last 3-4 people coming in on the bike that their race was done and I took their timing chip from them. That was an emotional thing to do. I can make a distinction (whether I should or not) between missing an intermediate cutoff and missing the final cutoff for the race.

With the changes to a time-trial start, the race directors have a more difficult challenge. It is my understanding that IMKY's cutoff is midnight, not 17 hours after you start, so those who start later must still finish before midnight to be "finishers." Easier on the race director and volunteers, you can argue whether it is too big a burden on those late-starting finishers. My personal opinion is if the race will have an "8 hour from whenever you start" cutoff, then the RD has an obligation to manage that properly. They could, for example, set up a timing mat 60 seconds before the finish (some do this to get the competitor's registration info for the announcer) that verifies the cutoff criteria and someone in the finish area is responsible for diverting that person before the medal is put around his/her neck. This diversion could be before the finish line in fact. "Official" finishers cross the finish line, "unofficial" finishers go around it (or whatever). This timing system can also confirm to the participant whether they'll be an "official" finisher or not (most have a good idea whether they are or are not under the cutoff). Whether that seems harsh or not can be debated as much as this topic.

Some responsibility falls on the participant. I've said it before, and I'll reiterate it here that the participant coming into a race knowing they'll be bumping up against cutoff times is setting himself/herself up for heartbreak. If the cutoff is 2:20, and you expect 2:15, you haven't given yourself much room for error and you really should be emotionally prepared to accept crossing at 2:21 and the corresponding DNF.
2013-08-22 5:38 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Originally posted by GAUG3

Why are there time cutoffs? They give you a medal because it would be a nightmare to have volunteers run to the computer verify who you are, look up your time, give or hold your medal. It's not that they don't care. It would just be chaos.

Why would it be so difficult to have a result board show the race number, name and time of athletes as they cross the finish line? They instantly read the chip anyway and know what wave you started in, calculating real time is trivial, and if you've been DQ'ed en route that should've been registered too. All you need is a continuous readout of the results.

I've often wondered about this: Show the times of the last 10 and it would be easy to filter people who "didn't earn a medal", same thing at entry to T1 and T2 to take out those who don't meet the cutoff there. Also, It would be great for athletes and spectators to see their actual time rather than have to wait for it to be published.

BR
2013-08-22 6:15 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

A 4 hour marathon seems a little forgiving...
2013-08-22 6:24 AM

User image

don't they pull you if you don't make the cut off's?
2013-08-22 7:08 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
I was well over 8:30 for a halfiron, but I started in an early wave. The rules didn't say anything other than the time cutoffs from the last wave. I made it across the line with a few minutes to spare for the official close of the line. So I made it. I took my medal. But I am not especially proud of the day. Glad I "completed" it but I feel like it's still unfinished business.

2013-08-22 8:58 AM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

The race directors get to decide who is an official finisher. I don't see anything wrong with accepting that longer-than-17-hour finish. Those people made the earlier cut-off times and deserve to be acknowledged as finishers for sure.

Also- there's nothing "magical" about the 17-hour "cutoff". Some races in Europe have 15- or 16-hours cutoffs.

A couple years ago a friend finished IM Canada after the 11:00 but the race officials were still giving out medals. He proudly accepted his medal and acknowledges his finish time. As he should have.
2013-08-22 9:51 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

A 4 hour marathon seems a little forgiving...

That's what I was thinking. Anyone taking more than 4 hrs to finish the marathon is a loser! ;-)
2013-08-22 9:57 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Originally posted by GAUG3

Originally posted by Tri_Pharm

Originally posted by mehaner

i would pay less for a race to not receive a t-shirt that i'll never wear and a medal that i have no clue what to do with so it just collects dust.

I second that. I kind of like when races don't give out medals. I have a big bag full of medals sitting in a closet dating back to high school. I thought about making some sort of wall art with them but I'm not really creative when it comes to that. So for now I just let my nieces play with them when they are playing dress-up.

As for shirts, I go to a developing country on a mission trip every couple of years and bring a couple dozen with me to give away. Others get used as bike rags (unless they are a good fit and/or material). I've had races which give running shorts or socks which always gets me excited since I don't have as many of those (and I have buying socks)

Please check out http://www.medals4mettle.org/donate.html

Your medals will go to great use.

Exactly. That is what I do with my extra medals.

I am fine with races giving out medals. Just because I don't want one, doesn't mean someone else in the race isn't super proud of their accomplishments. And Vice Versa. some medal I have saved might have been just another race for someone else.
2013-08-22 10:03 AM

User image

NC

Group hug.

2013-08-22 10:19 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Champion
Alabama
So the OP's question is do YOU feel like your earned it?

For me it would depend on WHY I did not make the cut-off.

If I missed the cut-off because I had 3 flats and a broken chain and had to wait 45 minutes for the support vehicle and this caused me to miss the cut-off by 20 minutes, then yes, I would feel I still earned the medal.

OTOH, if I didn't have a mechanical issues it likely means I simply did not train enough and then I would feel I did not earn the medal.

2013-08-22 10:51 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Since the medal is just a souvenir, sure.

To me that is all that a medal is...a souvenir. When I started racing many moons ago only the top three overall received medals. I don't agree that everyone should get a medal just for finishing but that is where society has gone...everyone is a winner. So I would take the medal and put it in the shoebox in my closet with my other medals.

Would I feel good about missing a race cutoff? No, if I were to finish my first IM next year after the cutoff I would not consider myself as meeting my goal, sure I may go the distance but if there is no time goal virtually anyone can go the distance.
2013-08-22 10:54 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-08-22 10:55 AM
2013-08-22 10:55 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-08-22 11:24 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Sensei
Sin City

I find this kind of thing interesting - sort of a social study of sorts.

It's tough.  If the "cutoff" is 17 hours and you roll in at 17:00:02 you didn't do an Ironman?  That's tough to say.  However, if you roll in at 36 hours after the start, it would be just as hard to say you actually did one.

What is truly accomplishing an IM?  doing the distance or getting the medal?  My personal take, is if I just missed the cutoff, I would count it as doing it, but asterisk it as "not under the official time limit".  Since I don't really talk about it or show off medals anyway, I would even have a harder time "bragging" about doing it if it wasn't in the time limit.  But to the average person?  You did 140.6.

Another interesting twist.  Someone missed the bike cutoff by a couple minutes at Silverman.  It's a BRUTAL bike.  They had to give up their chip but was allowed to run it.  They finished in 15 hours...  So they did it within the time limit and beat hundreds of people but it didn't count.  Ironman or not?  In my head, it's an "unofficial" ironman - if that makes sense.

I guess I'm not as strict as some seem to make it.  If you are 10 seconds late then it doesn't count?  Maybe in the record books, but TO ME, it did.  I would still be happy with my accomplishment even if it wasn't official.  I'll let others consider it however they want.

Of course, this is pure speculation, but it's always interesting to think of.  4 of them under the belt (and tons of other races) and never came close to not making the cutoff.

ALSO, I think I would use that as motivation to do another one and make it "official".  I think I will always have a feeling of unfinished business if I didn't do it under the time.  Something like that happened in my first race ever.  They canceled the swim due to weather.  I signed up for a tri, finished it, got a medal, made the official standings, got USTA points (I think) blah blah blah.  But TO ME, I didn't do a tri until I did s/b/r...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If you miss the race's cutoff time but they still give you a medal, do you feel like you earned it? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

For those who miss the 17hr cutoff Pages: 1 2 3

Started by FELTGood
Views: 7272 Posts: 68

2011-12-17 3:59 PM frnk36

IM Louisville Cutoff Times

Started by gshtrisport
Views: 1120 Posts: 2

2009-08-14 10:52 AM gshtrisport

IM cutoff times

Started by mscotthall
Views: 670 Posts: 3

2007-04-16 10:29 AM auto208562

Do most Tri's give Finisher Medals? Pages: 1 2

Started by CVSURF
Views: 3727 Posts: 29

2005-10-06 2:12 PM rsqdvr

Missing a cutoff time

Started by MikeColorado
Views: 1211 Posts: 9

2005-05-19 9:46 PM So Fresh So Clean
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : November 9, 2006
author : gsmacleod
comments : 3
Many times a missed workout leads to undue stress and frustration which can adversely affect athletic performance and day-to-day life. Here are some tips to deal with the inevitable missed workout.
date : October 1, 2006
author : Ontherun
Many of us race, and some race a lot, but when was the last time you gave something back to the sport of triathlon?

date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!