General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If you miss the race's cutoff time but they still give you a medal, do you feel like you earned it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-08-22 11:29 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: If you miss the race's cutoff time but they still give you a medal, do you feel like you earned

Originally posted by Fred D
Group hug.
. Sorry no group hugs....

Yeah those were banned along with talking during a race and having fun. Bummer.

2013-08-22 11:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: If you miss the race's cutoff time but they still give you a medal, do you feel like you earned

Originally posted by Leegoocrap
Originally posted by kstater39 The only real ironman are Kona finishers who finish in sub 9:30. Everyone who finishes an ironman with less than 4000 ft elevation on the bike, swim in a wetsuit, or run less than a 4 hour marathon should be ashamed. Amazing how we can get so elitist when maybe we should thrive on each others accomplishments progressing the sport.
A 4 hour marathon seems a little forgiving...

I think Deb did a good job of phrasing the original question. 

There are some people on this board who can't even fathom doing tris to "just" finish. These are often the same people who have lost track of how many race t-shirts and medals and have very serious performance goals.  They are coming at it from a different place, but their place is OK too.  The performance spectrum of people doing tris is a big bell curve and people two standard deviations below and above the mean are very different athletes. 

It is inconceivable to those trying to make cut-offs how people could get bummed by getting a 9:56 IM, but it is very real, and it just a totally different thing (Nice job Nate). 

The reasons we do this sport are as personal as our goals for given races.  A sub four marathon is a huge achievement for some and a -poor-WTF-happened race failure for others.  We can certainly applaud each other's accomplishments in the sport and encourage each other, but I "thrive" on setting and achieving my own goals. 

Maybe that makes me a selfish tri preck; I just think of it as part of being an athlete.

Edited by switch 2013-08-22 11:32 AM
2013-08-22 11:31 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Saint Paul, MN
I ran the last quarter mile of the Madison course with a woman at 12:01am last year. I don't care what WTC says, she is an Ironman in my mind.
2013-08-22 11:39 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-08-22 11:40 AM
in reply to: lisac957

NC
Originally posted by lisac957

Group hug.
. Sorry no group hugs....

Yeah those were banned along with talking during a race and having fun. Bummer.

And being deaf.

2013-08-22 11:41 AM
in reply to: jlruhnke

NC
Originally posted by jlruhnke

I ran the last quarter mile of the Madison course with a woman at 12:01am last year. I don't care what WTC says, she is an Ironman in my mind.

So you got her DQ'ed before she even came in?

2013-08-22 11:43 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-08-22 11:44 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by kstater39 The only real ironman are Kona finishers who finish in sub 9:30. Everyone who finishes an ironman with less than 4000 ft elevation on the bike, swim in a wetsuit, or run less than a 4 hour marathon should be ashamed. Amazing how we can get so elitist when maybe we should thrive on each others accomplishments progressing the sport.

I think Deb did a good job of phrasing the original question. 

There are some people on this board who can't even fathom doing tris to "just" finish. These are often the same people who have lost track of how many race t-shirts and medals and have very serious performance goals.  They are coming at it from a different place, but their place is OK too.  The performance spectrum of people doing tris is a big bell curve and people two standard deviations below and above the mean are very different athletes. 

It is inconceivable to those trying to make cut-offs how people could get bummed by getting a 9:56 IM, but it is very real, and it just a totally different thing (Nice job Nate). 

The reasons we do this sport are as personal as our goals for given races.  A sub four marathon is a huge achievement for some and a -poor-WTF-happened race failure for others.  We can certainly applaud each other's accomplishments in the sport and encourage each other, but I "thrive" on setting and achieving my own goals. 

Maybe that makes me a selfish tri preck; I just think of it as part of being an athlete.

. FTW in my opinion. There is always difficulty in understanding those who come at things from very different perspectives. I've been disappointed in HIM times of 4:40 (when I was racing more at the elite end) and been very happy with a HIM that was 15' slower as that was pretty good for where my training was. I don't question those finishing near 17 hours as it can be much tougher to do an IM in that time than 10-11 hrs as you are out there so much longer. Call yourself an ironman or not? Up to you. *if* you care what WTC says, then you need to follow their rules.

True, all true. 

You sign up for a race, you accept the rules. 

2013-08-22 11:54 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by jlruhnke I ran the last quarter mile of the Madison course with a woman at 12:01am last year. I don't care what WTC says, she is an Ironman in my mind.

Was there a gorilla suit involved?

2013-08-22 11:59 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I figure if they give you an official finishing time and list you among the finishers you earned it. Even if its 17:5:0.00 for an IM.

I know many races have different types of cut offs.

Chicago Marathon for instance I call it a soft cutoff. They will let you finish on your own and even give you an official finishing time. In 2012 the only time I did not beat the official cutoff they still sent me a finisher medal in the mail after they ran out. They said they would only do that for official finishers. Considering the long recovery I had from Mono even attempting it let alone finishing it makes it not only 15th marathon finish but one of the ones I am most proud of.

The HIM I officially DNF had what I called the mystery cutoff time. I still count myself as a finisher because of the cutoff time was not advertised. Especially since the RD mentioned he did not even want to have a cut off for the race. So I figure I finished that race. Also kinda funny because my finishing time was 30 min faster than my official finishing time from the year before.

There are Hard Cut off races. Those will not give you a finishing time and turn the clocks off before you finish.

I will admit I have my finisher medal for Chicago 2007. I figure I finished the shorted race (22 miles that day). I always been conflicted with what do with the medal. Most people who finished with me decided the same thing. Take the medal and figure out what to do with it later.

Even then many races that have waves or it will take 20 minutes to get to the start line if they have a 6 hour cut off it will be 6 hours for the last guy to start.
2013-08-22 12:01 PM

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by jlruhnke I ran the last quarter mile of the Madison course with a woman at 12:01am last year. I don't care what WTC says, she is an Ironman in my mind.

Right!  If you are going to pace someone, at least get them across the line before 12! 

2013-08-22 12:04 PM

For me, as someone who signed up for his first marathon wondering if I could make the 6 hour cut, I considered a finish to be finishing in under the 6 hour time limit. I would not have been happy with a finish over that. I would have finished the distance, but in MY mind would not have finished the race. That said, I trained such that when race day came I was relatively sure that I would make my goal. I had a very hard day and finished in +/- 5:42. I applied the same logic when I signed up for my first HIM, I was going to make sure I could do each event such that time limits were not an issue and if I had failed one that would have been a failure in MY eyes.

While that is MY criteria for ME, I also have the utmost respect for those that go out and finish the distance no matter how long it takes them.
2013-08-22 12:04 PM
in reply to: Kido

Sensei
Sin City

Oh as for medals?  Since that was part of it question.  Probably take it and display it with all my other medals:  In a shoe box, in the top shelf of the laundry room, which only comes down when I have to throw another chuck metal in it...

I have been telling myself to look into the medal donation thingy.

2013-08-22 3:26 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

Originally posted by kstater39

The only real ironman are Kona finishers who finish in sub 9:30. Everyone who finishes an ironman with less than 4000 ft elevation on the bike, swim in a wetsuit, or run less than a 4 hour marathon should be ashamed.

Amazing how we can get so elitist when maybe we should thrive on each others accomplishments progressing the sport.

I'd be impressed by anyone who can go sub 9:30 with a 4 hour marathon. Swim like a fish, hammer the bike, then skip (not forgo but literally skip) the marathon? (not saying a 4 hour marathon is slow by any means, but for someone going 9:30 it's pretty slow)
2013-08-22 3:51 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Veteran
Tampa
Originally posted by brigby1

Was there a gorilla suit involved?

They really need to control gorillas better in these events. Nowadays when I race in a tri my biggest worry is having a gorilla pacing me on the run
2013-08-22 3:54 PM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Sorry about the four hour comment. My own goals were in that statement. Great discussion for the most part. The best statement is about there being various goals in the same race. A personal frustration of mine is how we can alienate potential athletes from our discussions. The time limits are hard and true. However, IMHO it is ridiculous to call out someone for calling themself an ironman or taking a medal given to them for being xx min/sec late. They will not have a time posted as an official finisher I would quess. Thus, they are not recorded as such. To throw away cut offs would for sure weaken the lure and prestige of IM. However, to say a 17:10 is not a finisher from someone who finishes in 11:20 is no different than Chrissie calling that same finisher a "total wimp" from her view. Plus IMHO if you finish IMLOU in 95 degree heat in17:30 are you really less than finishing 15:10 at IMFL. No official time should be given and Mike R. Should not announce but can you say your an IM, get the tat. I say it's your call. My point is there is always someone faster, stronger, better. It just pisses me off when the slow are judged by the faster. I'm not accusing folks here of doing that. Just saying I was reminding us that there are people finishing this stuff in sub 9. Moreover they are usually the most encouraging to us common athletes also.

Edited by kstater39 2013-08-22 3:57 PM

2013-08-22 4:00 PM
in reply to: kstater39

NC
Originally posted by kstater39

It just pisses me off when the slow are judged by the faster.

I'm slow, so I'm in the clear.

2013-08-24 12:52 PM
in reply to: GatorDeb

Master
Royersford, PA
If you covered the entire distance and they are still there to give you a medal, you finished and you earned the medal. Your race entrance fee paid for the cost of the medal and if you make it to the finish line and they give you one you earned it. What is the race director supposed to do with the extra medals? If you don't feel you earned it, then go award it to someone else (Give a race medal to a sick child in the hospital fighting cancer and watch their eyes light up) or award it to a volunteer who stuck around to see you finish as a thank you.

Ironman's new swim start does create a likely possibility that a lot of the final half hour finishers coming to midnight may not be official finishers as the rules clearly state if you finish greater than 17 hours you will not be considered an official finisher. But they still get the medal and finishers gear , get called home by Mike Riley and get the loudest cheers.

Other race directors state; after the cut off times the roads will be reopened and course support is not longer guaranteed, but athletes may continue if the stay on the sidewalk and follow the rules of the road.

At Rev3 Races, we typically have a designated Last Finisher (typically the awesome folks at Multi Sport Ministries), who helps guide in and encourage the last few folks on the course and we celebrate the achievement of those last few folks and the most definitely get their finisher's medal and you can't tell me they didn't earn it.
2013-09-02 1:03 PM

Veteran
Angola, IN
Originally posted by GatorDeb

With this change at IMCDA of wave swim starts, you could get a medal but still not be considered an official Ironman if your time was over 17 hours from the time you started but under 17 hours from 7a (that wasn't my case, but one example). IM 70.3 World Championships has also handed out medals even if you miss the 8 hour cutoff time. I myself got a medal at a HIM this past April and while I met the overall cutoff time for the race, I missed the bike cutoff by 14 minutes and 29 seconds.

So what are your thoughts? I myself haven't made an opinion yet. On the one hand if the race gives you the medal means they don't care that you missed the cutoffs, on the other hand cutoffs are cutoffs and part of the game. Do you count it as a finished race if you got the medal or do you bring up the missed cutoffs if you're discussing it with somebody?

I don't spend sleepless nights fretting over this, just thought it was an interesting topic.

Here is my opinion, and I don't really care what anyone thinks of it. I was never told that there was a midnight cutoff at IMKY in 2010, I only ever read that there were split cut offs, and the overall 17 hour cut off. The problem with a time trial start is that it does not give hardly anyone the 17 hours to finish before midnight. I got in line at 5:30am and still did not get in the water until after 7:30am

Being my only my second triathlon EVER, I did not understand the complex rules of the WTC. So when I easily made swim and bike cut offs, I was not aware that I had to cross before midnight until someone at the last running timing mat told me that I wasn't going to make it. Due to some serious nutritional issues during the day I was only able to across the line at 12:04am. Giving me a finish time of just over 16:30 (well within the 17 hours required to finish any mass start IM). I was given full fan fair, with thousands cheering.... Recieved all the finishing swag and all the well wishes and congratulations as well as the finishing photo, and Mike Reilly shouting my name as the last IRONMAN of the night.

Only the next week when I could not find my official time online, I called to find out it would not go in the books as a finish. Do I still say I made it? That's a dumb question. I was as much of an Ironman that day as anyone else who crossed that line in under 17 hours, and anyone who would have disagreed with me the next day would have been arguing with me, while tending to their broken nose.

This is a problem with the WTC rule book that needs to be fixed as time trial starts and wave starts are getting more and more popular in Ironman events. By the way, I did make it my personal mission to prove to all the nay-Sayers that I WAS an Ironman, so last year I finished IMKY in 13 hours including a broken bike chain at mile 80, and I plan to break 12:30 next Sunday at IMWI

There is not a one size fits all answer to the question here, but one thing is for sure, the cut off rules are often unclear, and that is a problem that needs to be addressed.
2013-09-02 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4834988

Extreme Veteran
If I finished this incredible distance, even if I missed the cut-off times, I,would be an Iron Man in my heart. The cut-off times are arbitrary, anyway. Completely made up. And really it is all Ego, when people put your accomplishment down and say you aren't an Ironman. Why would the fastest person care if you call yourself an Ironman? Ego. They want to belong to an exclusive group of athletes, so they can use it for bragging rights. If you are an Ironman with your "slow" (ha!!) times, then they don't look as cool.

Silly, really, and in my view, misses the point. You did the training, you finished the race, you earned the self-satisfaction and confidence doing an IM gives you. Enjoy it, and don't let someone else ruin it for you.
Best,
Nancy
2013-09-02 1:41 PM

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
if they don't stop you at the cutoff time, and you finish....then it's just a personal opinion after that.

now, if you plan on getting a tattoo, you might include an asterisk LOL

IM *

2013-09-03 8:37 PM
in reply to: metafizx

Veteran
Angola, IN
Originally posted by metafizx

if they don't stop you at the cutoff time, and you finish....then it's just a personal opinion after that.

now, if you plan on getting a tattoo, you might include an asterisk LOL

IM *

I have to say that this is my favorite opinion of all on this subject.
2013-09-03 10:57 PM

Personally I would absolutely take the medal and say I did it if I missed an intermediate cut off time but made the final cut off.

But if I made the intermediate cutoffs but didn't made the final cutoff then I would not take it or say I made it.

Basically I only view the final cutoff as real, the intermediates are there just to make the race directors job easier.

2013-09-04 1:18 AM

Master
, California
Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by mrbbrad
Originally posted by mrbbrad

Originally posted by mrbbrad I don't miss cutoffs
Shouldn't this be accompanied by that picture of you skateboarding? If memory serves.

You want young me or old me?

Wearing cutoffs.
You two, FTW.

Better than that one Newbz posted awhile back.  Probably don't want to dig up that thread.

2013-09-04 7:32 AM

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Go to 4:50 in this video and that how I think it should be done.

Keep in mind that it can take up to 15min to cross the start line at the 'Rades so pretty similar to the TT and rolling starts of an Ironman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaMcShnYcxo
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If you miss the race's cutoff time but they still give you a medal, do you feel like you earned it? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

For those who miss the 17hr cutoff Pages: 1 2 3

Started by FELTGood
Views: 7263 Posts: 68

2011-12-17 3:59 PM frnk36

IM Louisville Cutoff Times

Started by gshtrisport
Views: 1120 Posts: 2

2009-08-14 10:52 AM gshtrisport

IM cutoff times

Started by mscotthall
Views: 670 Posts: 3

2007-04-16 10:29 AM auto208562

Do most Tri's give Finisher Medals? Pages: 1 2

Started by CVSURF
Views: 3724 Posts: 29

2005-10-06 2:12 PM rsqdvr

Missing a cutoff time

Started by MikeColorado
Views: 1210 Posts: 9

2005-05-19 9:46 PM So Fresh So Clean
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : November 9, 2006
author : gsmacleod
comments : 3
Many times a missed workout leads to undue stress and frustration which can adversely affect athletic performance and day-to-day life. Here are some tips to deal with the inevitable missed workout.
date : October 1, 2006
author : Ontherun
Many of us race, and some race a lot, but when was the last time you gave something back to the sport of triathlon?

date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!