General Discussion Race Reports! » Square Lake Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Square Lake Triathlon - Long Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Stillwater, Minnesota
United States
Front Runner
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 10m 13s
Overall Rank = 25/170
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I am going to preface this whole thing with: I was not mentally ready for this race as early as the day before. Almost a whole baked potatoe pizza with extra bacon, from luce is not a good choice the day before. Then I go through my usual routine race day, except I am not focused while setting up in transition. More to come with that.

I don't know where my head was
Swim
  • 26m 10s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I led the first lap. I knew Dan was drafting on me. I expected that.

The second lap my cap kept wanting to come off so I kept pulling it down. That slowed me down. I figured that and the congestion of catching the other waves gave Dan the opportunity to pass me.
What would you do differently?:

I can't figure out why my cap always seems to want to ride up and off my head. Damn cone head I guess
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

This is where my day starts to get a little odd for me. I walk up the long steps which slow me down a lot, but that I expect. Then I take off my wetsuit and I realize I did not put my tri suit over my shoulders, before putting on my wetsuit. So I am pretty lucky that I was not completely naked when I removed my wetsuit. Or should I say the spectators were lucky. So I had to put that over my shoulder and zip up. My tri suit has a zipper in the back that is not easy to get to when I am dry. Joy I thought. I finally got it.

So I got my self going. Thinking to myself: what the heck was I doing prerace?

Be ready to race
Bike
  • 2h 39m 15s
  • 54 miles
  • 20.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Next bone head move: I left most of my nutrition in my back pack. I realized this about a mile out. I had 2 gels mixed Ina water bottle and a bottle of water. Zero solid food. So I am thinking maybe with the Gatorade bottle at the halfway point I can make it, with a relatively cooled day.

The winds were tough and were worse (directionally) the second lap.

I still had a strong bike performance. I gained 10 minutes over last year, which was right in line with the rest of my race results this year

I love my aero helmet and am pleased with my bike performance

Have my nutrition
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

I took my time and got set. I grabbed a gu, which I normally don't do. My stomach does not like stuff added to it during the run, but I thought I might need something. I should have just downed it and grabbed another. But I thought I could nurse it and make it through
Run
  • 2h 00m 51s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

So I was out of transition at 3 hours and 9 minutes. If I ran the exact same pace as Chisago , earlier this summer, I would finish in 4:54.xx. I would be very happy with that, after the way the race was going. So I purposely held myself back to 8 minute miles.

That lasted 2 whole miles. Then things started going wrong. I was slowing down and my heart rate was much lower then my normal run heart rate. And I was starting to cramp in my gut. I figure I am not used to that much Gatorade during the bike. I really did not know what to do.

I kept going holding 8:30-8:45. Then at mile 4 I stopped and peed. That helped with the stomach.

But I could not go any faster. My legs just had nothing left. I started to take in Gatorade at every aid station to get some fuel. I slowed more and was more than ready to quit after the halfway point. By then I figure how will I get back so keep moving. I walked some and shuffled some. Now I had to go to the bathroom. I was not going to go poop on the side of the rode. This happened in one other race. That pizza the day before was not very smart.

I finished. And then damn near filled a porta potty

To many things to list
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor decisions

Event comments:

I enjoy square lake a lot and hope to redeem myself next year.

Last updated: 2013-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:10 | 2112 yards | 01m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 2/170
Performance: Good
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: Triangle with 2 laps
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:39:15 | 54 miles | 20.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 31/170
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: 2 loops with some good hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:00:51 | 13.2 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 87/170
Performance: Bad
146 avg
Course: Out and back with hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-09 9:27 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: Square Lake Triathlon - Long Course

2013-09-12 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4851421

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Square Lake Triathlon - Long Course
HAHAHAHAAA!!!!
That whole pizza the day before did you in buddy!
Were you drinking the night before too?
2013-09-13 8:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Square Lake Triathlon - Long Course

Oops!  Well, lots of good lessons for the next one

I think doing a race where you know everyone is distracting.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2013-09-13 8:31 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Square Lake Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Square Lake Triathlon - Long Course

Started by rdailey1
Views: 1092 Posts: 1

2013-03-30 8:54 AM rdailey1

Started by peteweb55403
Views: 1056 Posts: 2

2012-09-13 6:24 PM silentcs42

Started by silentcs42
Views: 1049 Posts: 2

2012-09-12 7:18 PM peteweb55403

Started by silentcs42
Views: 1189 Posts: 3

2011-09-13 8:32 PM shaunjamison

Started by shaunjamison
Views: 1678 Posts: 4

2011-09-15 2:00 PM shaunjamison
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.