General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did anyone else see this blog ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-09-24 9:08 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Did anyone else see this blog ?
Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by TriMyBest

SevenZulu & Clempson, you need to read my post above yours where I quote the RD explaining everything.

If you read the entire ST thread, god bless you if you do, you will see that there is at least reason to raise some questions about the RD's version of the events.

I've read that too. Don I saw the RD's comments and they don't really seem to help the situation. I'm actually more confused by including them.

2013-09-25 4:57 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Ontario

Originally posted by Khyron http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=103zqsm&s=5#.UkIQ64Z6Y8QVideo from ST/Letsrun - save you wading through 35+ pages. No she was not punched or knocked down - yes strong arm/blocked.

The RD posted in the thread on ST.  The guy was on the wrong side of the road:

"Again just so that we all understand when you see the video, she is in the correct lane of outgoing traffic while he is across the double yellow line (running in the wrong direction)
If he stayed on the correct side of the run course there would never have been a collision. The finish line was about 20-30yrds further down the rd- so he was not IN the finishline, nor even close to finishing. He chose to take a line that was closest to the rt turn he was eventually going to make. 

The bruise on her face (which I saw post race), the account of numerous witness', the photo, the video and the opinion of the head USAT official led to his DQ which we stand by. 

I know that we have all grown to accept the "folklore" of a triathlon swim and the rough housing that goes on. But civility and sportsmanship are the things that we as RDs want our grass roots events to inspire. 
Both Dev and I as well a lot of you have raced for >24 yrs and can remember when this never occurred or was tolerated. 
And because it was not tolerated it did not happen. 

Our focus is to provide that grass roots feel, family oriented experience but to make sure that all racers are safe and get the same challenge and accomplishment as the pros do. I thank Dev for recognizing the amount of work that goes on behind the scenes to make sure any race can go on, especially a long course one. 

We do not do it for money but for the love of the sport. 
So we will not tolerate unsportsmanlike behavior when it goes against the very foundation of what we stand for. 

Every racer counts. 

See all of you in IN, NY and our newest race in AZ!!! soon to be announced  

Rich"

Nothing to see here...Move along, people...move along...

There is something weird about that video, right at the moment of 'impact'. It watched it several times. I thought I could see a couple people running 'out' on the right lane of the road, then the lady walking backwards kinda diagonally across the left lane where the guy running 'in' is near the center line but on the left lane. Then there is another man running 'out' on the right lane of the road. So if the lady is running 'out' on the proper lane there are at least three people running 'out' on the wrong side of the road. Plus didn't she say she had crossed to the other side to high five her friends and family. The RDs story doesn't jive with the video or her story.
2013-09-25 5:54 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-09-25 6:04 AM
2013-09-25 6:19 AM
in reply to: cathyd

Expert
Originally posted by cathyd

Originally posted by Khyron http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=103zqsm&s=5#.UkIQ64Z6Y8QVideo from ST/Letsrun - save you wading through 35+ pages. No she was not punched or knocked down - yes strong arm/blocked.

The RD posted in the thread on ST.  The guy was on the wrong side of the road:

"Again just so that we all understand when you see the video, she is in the correct lane of outgoing traffic while he is across the double yellow line (running in the wrong direction)
If he stayed on the correct side of the run course there would never have been a collision. The finish line was about 20-30yrds further down the rd- so he was not IN the finishline, nor even close to finishing. He chose to take a line that was closest to the rt turn he was eventually going to make. 

The bruise on her face (which I saw post race), the account of numerous witness', the photo, the video and the opinion of the head USAT official led to his DQ which we stand by. 

I know that we have all grown to accept the "folklore" of a triathlon swim and the rough housing that goes on. But civility and sportsmanship are the things that we as RDs want our grass roots events to inspire. 
Both Dev and I as well a lot of you have raced for >24 yrs and can remember when this never occurred or was tolerated. 
And because it was not tolerated it did not happen. 

Our focus is to provide that grass roots feel, family oriented experience but to make sure that all racers are safe and get the same challenge and accomplishment as the pros do. I thank Dev for recognizing the amount of work that goes on behind the scenes to make sure any race can go on, especially a long course one. 

We do not do it for money but for the love of the sport. 
So we will not tolerate unsportsmanlike behavior when it goes against the very foundation of what we stand for. 

Every racer counts. 

See all of you in IN, NY and our newest race in AZ!!! soon to be announced  

Rich"

Nothing to see here...Move along, people...move along...

There is something weird about that video, right at the moment of 'impact'. It watched it several times. I thought I could see a couple people running 'out' on the right lane of the road, then the lady walking backwards kinda diagonally across the left lane where the guy running 'in' is near the center line but on the left lane. Then there is another man running 'out' on the right lane of the road. So if the lady is running 'out' on the proper lane there are at least three people running 'out' on the wrong side of the road. Plus didn't she say she had crossed to the other side to high five her friends and family. The RDs story doesn't jive with the video or her story.

I did this race and it was my 4th time doing it so I am familiar with the course. You are correct Cathy. You see 3 people running out in the right lane because that is the way everyone runs out. When the RD posted that runners were supposed to stay left it was the first time I heard it. I have always run out on the right and run back in on the right, and so has everyone else that I have seen. No official on the course has ever corrected me or anyone else, so quite honestly, the RD's comment makes no sense.

2013-09-25 8:43 AM
in reply to: Khyron

After finally getting to see the video I can say ALLinvolved are wrong and this thing got so blown out of proportion with the original picture that was posted on that blog. 

2013-09-25 8:52 AM
in reply to: MLPFS

Regular
SF Bay area
Hmmm.  If the video was included in the first post, this would have been a very short thread. 

2013-09-25 9:43 AM
in reply to: TTom

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by TTom Hmmm.  If the video was included in the first post, this would have been a very short thread. 

But it needs to be buried! How else can you play the spin game?

2013-09-25 12:43 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by MLPFS

After finally getting to see the video I can say ALLinvolved are wrong and this thing got so blown out of proportion with the original picture that was posted on that blog. 

It wasn't just the picture. It was her friend, the original blogger who wrote that, "she was punched, knocked to the ground, had bruises and scratches, and ran for several miles crying," because of the altercation. After watching the video, it is clear that none of those statements were true.

I tend to agree that the guy could have avoided her and didn't. He should have. But, he certainly wasn't the only guilty party in this incident. She could have avoided him too and didn't. The thing is, if you are on the woman's side, the video supports you and if you were on the guy's side, the video supports you too. Just a bad situation all around that either one of them probably) could have avoided.

I tend to agree with Fred. I think some civil litigation may be forthcoming, perhaps not against the woman but against the original blogger who outright lied (or at least perpetuated lies that he was told) while using a person's full name. His original post is slander/libel? at the minimum.

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-09-25 12:44 PM
2013-09-25 1:14 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

NC
Originally posted by wannabefaster

It was her friend, the original blogger who wrote that, "she was punched, knocked to the ground, had bruises and scratches, and ran for several miles crying," because of the altercation.

Unless you have access to a version of the blog that I don't, isn't this an outright lie?

2013-09-25 1:17 PM

Expert

I wrote my post this morning before my coffee and I realize in retrospect that I should have mentioned that this really is a very good race. Completely closed bike course, a beautiful and challenging run, lots of great volunteers especially on the run, nice post race, and everything has always gone very smoothly for me. I will do it again whenever it fits into my schedule.

The only issue I have is that it's on the first day of the NFL season

2013-09-25 1:29 PM
in reply to: MLPFS

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Originally posted by MLPFS

x2.  Much ado about nothing.  Should have been a non-event.  I've seen and been involved in bigger collisions in races.  Always unintentional and usually resolved with a sincere "Sorry" or "Excuse me", followed by "Are you OK?" 

Mark

2013-09-25 2:20 PM
in reply to: amschrod

Originally posted by amschrod

No official on the course has ever corrected me or anyone else, so quite honestly, the RD's comment makes no sense.

So you were there? On ST, there was a photo of Mr. Blair with an injury on the bike from a collision with a car. Then there was this collision. Sounds like there weren't many course marshalls.

Sadly, I agree that there may be litigation pending based on the fact the RD has since stuck a sock in it. While his comments don't square with the video, those of us that love races need to support their local RD.
2013-09-25 2:46 PM
in reply to: Nasrettin Hoca

Pro
I'm stuck right where I was when I first saw the thread................ meh. 
2013-09-25 2:50 PM

Master
ann arbor, michigan

It was her friend, the original blogger who wrote that, "she was punched, knocked to the ground, had bruises and scratches, and ran for several miles crying," because of the altercation.

Unless you have access to a version of the blog that I don't, isn't this an outright lie?

The blog post has changed dramatically from its original format. I was privy to it on its first day in existence and it was a scathing excoriation of Blair Cullen (named in the original blog post).

So, NO, it is not an outright lie.

But I agree that what is on the blog right now is much less inflammatory than it was in its original form. I may actually have a copy of the original post but I don't think I want to perpetuate it.
2013-09-25 2:51 PM
in reply to: Nasrettin Hoca

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Nasrettin Hoca

those of us that love races need to support their local RD.

I won't blindly support on the grounds that it's "local" if the RD is (IMO) hurting the sport or doing something I clearly disagree with. Happened a few years back with a local RD who ran a series of races. The stuff he was doing (and not doing) built up to the point where the folks just stopped doing his races. He is no longer in business, which is much better for the local tri community.

2013-09-25 3:00 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Left Brain I'm stuck right where I was when I first saw the thread................ meh. 

All future posts to this thread will be reported as SPAM Laughing

2013-09-25 3:06 PM
in reply to: Donto

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Funny the more I watch the video the more I think she is clearly in the wrong. In fact she goes and runs on the far side after she got hit. If she was in the correct lane why would she headed that direction anyways.
2013-09-25 3:10 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

Pro

Originally posted by chirunner134 Funny the more I watch the video the more I think she is clearly in the wrong. In fact she goes and runs on the far side after she got hit. If she was in the correct lane why would she headed that direction anyways.

I heard she was drunk.

2013-09-25 3:20 PM

NC
I may actually have a copy of the original post but I don't think I want to perpetuate it.

How about just the sentence that has this phrase: "she was punched, knocked to the ground, had bruises and scratches, and ran for several miles crying..."?

2013-09-25 3:37 PM

Master
ann arbor, michigan

I may actually have a copy of the original post but I don't think I want to perpetuate it.

How about just the sentence that has this phrase: "she was punched, knocked to the ground, had bruises and scratches, and ran for several miles crying..."?

I'll see what I can find. Can others corroborate my version? I know that many of the contributors to this thread read the original posts. I'm certainly not lying.

The post from the woman involved in the collision (also since deleted from the blog) where she called the other combatant a narcissist was pretty impressive as well. He may very well be a narcissist but it wasn't too difficult for her to recognize the personality disorder.......
2013-09-25 4:31 PM

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member

The post from the woman involved in the collision (also since deleted from the blog) where she called the other combatant a narcissist was pretty impressive as well. He may very well be a narcissist but it wasn't too difficult for her to recognize the personality disorder.......

You need to see her finish chute photos. Unreal.

2013-09-25 6:40 PM
in reply to: dan king

The RD is either woefully misinformed or a blatant liar...and suspect the latter mor than the former. Nothing he wrote on the slow twitch forum is true. The woman is a prima donna who has an over infkated sense of self worth. The original blogger and the race director better have good legal representation because they both slandered Cullen.

My take on the video.

Princess had zero situational awareness and even less respect for others on the course.....(not earlier post about her finish line shot where she absolutely ruined the other finisher's finish line photo.) she takes 2 steps backwards, looks over her left shoulder (in my opinion, she looked far enough back she should have seen Cullen.) Cullen is hugging the yellow line. When he gets two steps from her, she abruptly changes from a diagonal backup to a perpendicular (to the yellow line). Cullen is able to take one of his two steps free and clear and on the second step she backs into him. He extends an arm instinctively to avoid a collision.

Princess then shrugs her shoulders and almost backs into the second man.

No one was punched. There was no bruise to the face. No one was knocked to the ground.
2013-09-25 6:41 PM
in reply to: dan king

The RD is either woefully misinformed or a blatant liar...and suspect the latter mor than the former. Nothing he wrote on the slow twitch forum is true. The woman is a prima donna who has an over infkated sense of self worth. The original blogger and the race director better have good legal representation because they both slandered Cullen.

My take on the video.

Princess had zero situational awareness and even less respect for others on the course.....(not earlier post about her finish line shot where she absolutely ruined the other finisher's finish line photo.) she takes 2 steps backwards, looks over her left shoulder (in my opinion, she looked far enough back she should have seen Cullen.) Cullen is hugging the yellow line. When he gets two steps from her, she abruptly changes from a diagonal backup to a perpendicular (to the yellow line). Cullen is able to take one of his two steps free and clear and on the second step she backs into him. He extends an arm instinctively to avoid a collision.

Princess then shrugs her shoulders and almost backs into the second man.

No one was punched. There was no bruise to the face. No one was knocked to the ground.
2013-09-25 7:18 PM
in reply to: SeeVee

Master
Ironically the racer appears to be hugging the center line to avoid a penalty or possible DQ but gets blocked by a completer who is clearly in the wrong lane and not paying attention to other racers and getting illegal outside assistance. The racer ends up DQed for following the rules while the rule breaker becomes a martyr. His motions do not appear aggressive in the video at all but instead defensive. She owes him an apology if anything. If USAT gets involved he might get drug tested. If he is positive for doping I might change my opinion slightly. I also would never support a male hitting a female but it doesn't look like that occurred here anyway.
2013-09-25 7:23 PM
in reply to: Khyron

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Did anyone else see this blog ? Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1661 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Spirit of the Marathon - anyone seen this movie?

Started by CalgaryRunner
Views: 1291 Posts: 12

2008-04-08 12:05 PM popsracer

Anyone seen the egg doing the triathlon commercial?

Started by Afletcher
Views: 1103 Posts: 3

2007-09-11 11:52 PM davidb

Has anyone seen my desire to train

Started by kalumbaugh
Views: 1411 Posts: 17

2006-06-02 7:40 AM Stone

Anyone seen this piece of training equipment ?

Started by lincsguyus
Views: 1144 Posts: 16

2004-09-30 8:40 AM lincsguyus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : April 19, 2005
author : Ron
How to configure and use your triathlon training log or blog.