General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-27 4:47 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: Chicago Marathon : Official Thread
With the 2013 Chicago Marathon two weeks and two days away, thought I'd start a race group. I'll start....

Chicago will be my 5th marathon, not counting the one in an IM. Stand alone marathons are just different. I've raised money for American Cancer Society this time and am looking forward to seeing the city from a running perspective.

Anybody else? How is everyone feeling?

Lynn

2013-09-28 12:36 PM
in reply to: lmscozz

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Chicago Marathon : Official Thread

Yay for an official thread!
This is my 2nd time at Chicago Marathon, 4th stand alone (5th if you count a 50K, 8th if you count IMs). Training was short this year as the summer was focused on Vineman Full. Took a week off then started back at it. Both of my knees have not been very happy with me this time around, but I'm managing through it.

I'm raising funds with official charity Oasis for Orphans, an organization that helps children orphaned by the AIDS crisis in Kenya. We'll be the ones in the orange shirts! Link in my signature line if anyone would like to donate - I'm only halfway to my commitment. Surprised

2013-09-28 2:35 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Sounds like a great charity. Hope your knees settle down. Good idea about listing your charity page. I tried to get that in my signature line, but for some reason it wouldn't stay in. So, here's my link just in case anyone wanted to donate some. Plus, there's a cool picture of a monkey and a guy in a banana suit.  http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/DetermiNation/DNFY11IL?px=31080303&pg=personal&fr_id=54854

2013-09-29 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Feeling pretty good. I'm waffling about a goal pace, and with this being my first marathon, I just don't know how optimistic a goal I want to set. Weather will probably be a big factor.

I've got a half on the calendar for today, so I'm going to see how that goes at an ambitious (for me) race pace of 10:15, which puts me on track for a 4:20ish finish. Ideally, I shouldn't feel it at all when I finish or tomorrow. We'll see.
2013-09-30 8:22 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Champion
Chicago
Blargh -- knee pain and I have no clue why, it's the same one that I injured at Beach 2 Battleship and (the unwisely run) Las Vegas Marathon in 2009, but I don't think I did anything to aggravate it. Whatever. So the 20-miler has been delayed until after work today or tomorrow. I'm sure it's just one of those pre-race things but it hurts like a mutha.

Also, I'm putting together a pre-race dinner for some of my former colleagues who are coming to town. If you're interested let me know and I can add to the reservation. But I'll need to know soooooon as I still haven't made the rezzie and figure we may end up eating at the local Bar Louie or something.
2013-09-30 8:55 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Chicago, IL

I'm out, and I'm gutted. Well, maybe not gutted but I do LOVE the Chicago marathon.

This would have been my 4th year in a row, but instead I'm going to New Orleans for a bachelor party (famine to feast?!?!). I'll miss the electric atmostphere in the city, taking the el to the start line at 5am with the hardened bar-hoppers, the excitement of the amazing crowd support in the first 14 miles, and the euphoric pain in my legs when I cross the finish line.

Hopefully I'll get to join the hobbling masses for a Sunday Funday upon my return from NOLA.

I'll keep lurking around this thread, though. It's what I do. Good luck!!!

2013-09-30 2:49 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by mr2tony  If you're interested let me know and I can add to the reservation. But I'll need to know soooooon as I still haven't made the rezzie and figure we may end up eating at the local Bar Louie or something.

Friday or Saturday?
I'm trying to get some BTers organized for a Friday night dinner (YerWife, Whizzzzz, Lazy, MEH, Cheri, whoever) so we can have a drink or two without worrying about it affecting the race Sunday.

2013-09-30 4:24 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by mr2tony  If you're interested let me know and I can add to the reservation. But I'll need to know soooooon as I still haven't made the rezzie and figure we may end up eating at the local Bar Louie or something.

Friday or Saturday?
I'm trying to get some BTers organized for a Friday night dinner (YerWife, Whizzzzz, Lazy, MEH, Cheri, whoever) so we can have a drink or two without worrying about it affecting the race Sunday.

Saturday evening.
2013-09-30 4:30 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Originally posted by mr2tony Blargh -- knee pain and I have no clue why, it's the same one that I injured at Beach 2 Battleship and (the unwisely run) Las Vegas Marathon in 2009, but I don't think I did anything to aggravate it. Whatever. So the 20-miler has been delayed until after work today or tomorrow. I'm sure it's just one of those pre-race things but it hurts like a mutha. Also, I'm putting together a pre-race dinner for some of my former colleagues who are coming to town. If you're interested let me know and I can add to the reservation. But I'll need to know soooooon as I still haven't made the rezzie and figure we may end up eating at the local Bar Louie or something.

I doubt I'll be able to join in. I have family there I'll be spending most of my time with when I'm not running or sleeping. 

Hope the knee is better. Probably that pre-race shake out where stuff starts to bother.

2013-10-02 7:05 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

yay!  checking in!  i haven't run 20 and won't before the race, so we'll see how that goes.  i was sick last week and barely ran.  other than that, my build has been super strong.

chicago is my first and only marathon and i'm SUPER excited to come run it.  WHEE!

2013-10-02 10:43 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Originally posted by mehaner

yay!  checking in!  i haven't run 20 and won't before the race, so we'll see how that goes.  i was sick last week and barely ran.  other than that, my build has been super strong.

chicago is my first and only marathon and i'm SUPER excited to come run it.  WHEE!

You're not "supposed" to say it's your only marathon until afterwards at the finish line. ;-)

2013-10-02 11:37 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Originally posted by lmscozz
Originally posted by mehaner

You're not "supposed" to say it's your only marathon until afterwards at the finish line. ;-)

don't you worry, i'm never doing this again.

2013-10-02 3:17 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
stand alone marathon number 8 (12 marathons total) but the ONLY one that I've run a total of 7 times to "train". ugh. it will be a slow one....

anyone else in my boat? maybe we run together.

i'll be doing 4:30 marathon i expect....unless my achilles rolls up into the back of my knee during the race
2013-10-02 8:36 PM
in reply to: Steve-

User image

Master
Vista, CA

What corral is everyone starting in? I'm in G, so I might be right there with you at 4:30. I was thinking of running with a pace group -- maybe 4:15, but I'm not sure. I'm coming off a lay-off from marathons, been two years since my last one, so I'm not sure what to expect with times. Everyone says this course is flat and fast, but flat sometimes taxes the hip flexors more. 

Are there some inclines/declines on the bridges? 

Lynn

2013-10-02 10:09 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

What corral is everyone starting in? I'm in G, so I might be right there with you at 4:30. I was thinking of running with a pace group -- maybe 4:15, but I'm not sure. I'm coming off a lay-off from marathons, been two years since my last one, so I'm not sure what to expect with times. Everyone says this course is flat and fast, but flat sometimes taxes the hip flexors more. 

Lynn

The only hill I remember is the one in the last mile - up a bridge. Fun

I'm a slowbie in corral J or K? Something like that.

2013-10-03 9:25 AM

User image

Chicago, IL

Lynn

There's a decline in the first mile, after your cross the river on Columbus, toward Grand. There's an incline, I wouldn't call it a hill, between mile 1-2, as you head south on State St. But that's about it, for the whole course.

The only hill of any note, and maybe it's only of note because of where it is on the course, is on Roosevelt when you turn off Michigan Ave, literally at mile 26.
I run this route to get to the lakefront regularly, and it's really not bad, but every time I've run the marathon it feels like climbing a wall.

2013-10-03 9:37 AM

User image

New user
Me too - first ever marathon and pretty excited to finally be trying a full.
I'm in start corral D and I've been winging it on the training so I guess my goal is to break 4:00. I freely admit I really have no clue what I'm doing so any tips from you veterans are appreciated!
2013-10-03 10:10 AM
in reply to: skigator93

User image

Chicago, IL

Originally posted by skigator93 Me too - first ever marathon and pretty excited to finally be trying a full. I'm in start corral D and I've been winging it on the training so I guess my goal is to break 4:00. I freely admit I really have no clue what I'm doing so any tips from you veterans are appreciated!

A couple of tips from my times running this race:

1. Go easy at first. It's SUPER easy to get caught up in the energy of the other runners, and the amazing crowd. Before you know it, you're running a PR for your 10k, and killing yourself by mile 16.

2. Wear your name clearly visible on your top. You'll be getting yelled at the whole way, and it...is...AWESOME.

3. Wear a hat. If it's sunny, by the time you get to mile 20, you'll be very hot, and there is almost zero shade in the last six miles (straight south then north). I did this for the 1st time last year, and it was a massive help.

4. Be prepared to be mentally tough in the 2nd half. The first half is incredible. You feel fresh, crowd support is immense, the weather is call, there's a ton of shade. But the 2nd half is more sparsely supported (relatively), so you'll need to dig deep.

I absolutely LOVE this race, and I'm kind of bummed out that I'm not going to be running this year (out of town).
Next year - absolutely.

2013-10-03 11:02 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago

Lynn

Yes, ditto. there is only a couple "hills" and they are over the expressway/river bridges. last bridge after you turn right off of Michigan Ave is not very steep but it feels like mt. Everest because it's at the end.

I'm in corral A.
2013-10-03 8:10 PM
in reply to: Steve-

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Originally posted by Steve-

Lynn

Yes, ditto. there is only a couple "hills" and they are over the expressway/river bridges. last bridge after you turn right off of Michigan Ave is not very steep but it feels like mt. Everest because it's at the end. I'm in corral A.

Thanks for the tips. It's so easy to come out faster than you want, great reminder. 

Also, corral A?  -- you're a fastie. 

2013-10-03 9:48 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

Thanks for the tips. It's so easy to come out faster than you want, great reminder. 

Also, corral A?  -- you're a fastie. 

didn't train at all for this marathon so while it's a great corral...i will be passed for the first 8 miles or so since my finish time for the marathon will not be anywhere NEAR my qualifying time for corral A. ha ha ha....I should apologize to everyone in corral a and b at the start of the race.

2013-10-04 9:00 AM

User image

New user
Crest Hill
Woohoo one week till packet pickup-- just a tad excited I'm in Corral D this is my 2nd time running Chicago & my 2nd marathon. Also hoping for a 4:15ish (4:22 last year) but have a secret number as well ....HHaha does everyone have that secret goal number that you just cant speak of ??
PuMPeD, Jenny B*
2013-10-04 9:14 AM
in reply to: JennyBlaze22

User image

Corral D as well. I do have a goal in mind but I think its unrealistic as I'm still recovering from IMLT....so I won't say it I still haven't felt right when I've tried to run this past week. I'm hoping I recover by next weekend!
2013-10-04 10:14 AM
in reply to: rafikichapman

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Congrats on your IM finish! It's understandable that your legs don't "feel right" yet. Take it easy.

Hey, it says on the info packet we're supposed to pin our number to our outermost shirt. Are they okay with wearing a race belt? I have a feeling I'll be peeling layers a few miles in.

Also, anyone else have a case of the taper tantrums? 

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/taper-traps?page=single

Worth a quick read a week and 2 days out....OMG!!! So excited!

2013-10-04 10:22 AM

User image

Race belts are fine. I always use them in marathons. Good Luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Rock ‘n’ Roll Chicago Half Marathon : Official Thread

Started by mcgilmartin
Views: 1398 Posts: 1

2012-06-19 5:53 PM mcgilmartin

Chicago Marathon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by lisac957
Views: 14904 Posts: 162

2012-10-09 3:42 PM chirunner134

Chicago Marathon 10/10/10: Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Decatur217
Views: 9275 Posts: 51

2010-10-13 6:43 PM daviddclough

Chicago Half Marathon : Official Thread

Started by jimf629
Views: 1714 Posts: 1

2010-08-12 3:02 PM jimf629

Chicago Marathon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by gavisk
Views: 11359 Posts: 80

2009-10-16 9:46 PM protoplasm72
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle

date : August 30, 2004
Glassy waters greeted the nearly 600 participants for the quarter-mile swim. The 15.5-bike ride followed a beautiful course around the lake with the 5k run winding through a quiet residential area