Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Is 'got chicked' insulting to women? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-10-23 3:31 PM
in reply to: AtlantaBill

User image

Expert
Ontario
Subject: RE: Is 'got chicked' insulting to women?

Originally posted by AtlantaBill How is 'you got chicked' (when one teases a man who got passed by a woman), different from 'you throw like a girl'? It's intended to be a humorous, light-hearted put down, but is it saying you're SO inferior, you are passed by a woman, and all women are inferior. Therefore is it a put down to women? Top women are in the top 10% to 5%, therefore most men are passed by the some women. I'm sure there are some egotist jerks, but I think most men welcome and encourage women. I guess it depends on the individual's level of self-confidence. In my opinion, at least at the front of the peloton, 'you got chicked' is a compliment to the women who are moving up. When I get passed on the run, by women who started in a swim wave 3 minutes or 6 minutes after men, I comment 'I wish I could 'run like a girl', and always get a smile. Or how about joking that women moving up in the sport 'improves the scenery'? Is this sexist? How about 'pace booty'? In my opinion, guys like looking at girls, AND girls like guys looking at them - or am I too politically incorrect, and we're not allowed to say this out loud any more. No one is saying women are 'allowed' for the purpose of being eye candy. When I get chicked, I respect their strength. Women are no different than men, with regard to participating in triathlon. We're all just people. More women, more people, enjoying the sport is a good thing. And then there is the whole popularity of 'women's only' races, another topic. Perhaps there are a lot of women who do not like guys looking at them. Viva la difference!

Do people really think/say this?

2013-10-23 8:05 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Originally posted by briderdt

Originally posted by AtlantaBill  ...but is it saying you're SO inferior, you are passed by a woman, and all women are inferior

Seriously, where did you come up with that?

Its in the bible. Surely that book can't be wrong?
CORINTHIANS 11:3-10
Genesis 3:16
Timothy 2:12
Ephesians 5:22
Timothy 2:11-15
2013-10-23 10:06 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Turn in your card.....just turn it in.

^^^ this. jesus... the world is so worried about what is PC that you cant say anything. we all should just think the same thoughts, wear the same clothes, walk the same way.... everything should be equal so that we dont offend anyone
2013-10-23 10:08 PM
in reply to: Tryrn

User image

Elite
who cares?

you'll unlikely ever get chicked by me to be honest unless you've stopped.
2013-10-23 10:58 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

I do not mind getting "chicked" at all, there is always someone faster out there than me and in my case a lot of someones faster in both genders. Being an older guy I had "You have just been Geezered" on the back of my race running shirt. I have ran 4 marathon with it so far and everyone seems to like it. I put it on for fun and that is how it is taken or at least how it has been expressed to me. Oh yeah I have been geezered too and do not mind that either.
2013-10-23 11:45 PM
in reply to: cathyd

User image

Master
I've only seen there here. I don't hear this in our community. Doesn't mean they don't say it between friends, but the first time I read it was here.

2013-10-24 6:51 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

There have been other threads about this...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=183564&page=1#

...chicked, geezed, strollered, porked...IMO, if this stuff offends you, you should probably post it in this thread...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=499856&page=1#

Lighten up, Francis

2013-10-24 8:05 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Originally posted by TriMyBest

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=183564&page=1#

...chicked, geezed, strollered, porked...IMO, if this stuff offends you, you should probably post it in this thread...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=499856&page=1#

Lighten up, Francis

PORKED?

I have been chicked and geezered and youth'ed and strollered.

I am pretty sure if I got porked in a race, I'd know it. I think there are laws about doing that in public, anyway...
2013-10-24 8:26 AM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by navbtcret

I do not mind getting "chicked" at all, there is always someone faster out there than me and in my case a lot of someones faster in both genders. Being an older guy I had "You have just been Geezered" on the back of my race running shirt. I have ran 4 marathon with it so far and everyone seems to like it. I put it on for fun and that is how it is taken or at least how it has been expressed to me. Oh yeah I have been geezered too and do not mind that either.

OK, but that is not the question. The question is not whether a man gets "offended" by being passed by a woman.

The question was to the women. Do you as a woman, consider the term to be dismissive of women? I understand the question. I don't think you have to be a radical feminist or the PC police to notice the not-so-subtle sexism in the term. It's in the same league as "you throw like a girl" and using cross-dressing to humiliate a man. The underlying assumption is that the woman is weaker or lesser, so to appear as one takes away from your manhood. It's not a new concept, just because it was socially acceptable for a long time and may still be.

I'm not saying it's outrageous, but I'll at least admit it's not up to me as a white man to decide what a woman should find offensive or what an African-American should find racist.

Speaking of racism, i think another apt example of this is the term "white trash." I live in the country, so I am well familiar with what it means. But the term itself implies that the norm for white people would be non-trashy, and implies therefore that other races would be baseline "trashy." See what i mean? When you note something an an exception, you imply a norm, which may often be a stereotype. It doesn't make everyone who uses it a closet racist. I just think it is interesting for us to examine the terms we use and get at the root of what they say. Worth discussing. But not necessarily getting your panties in a wad over it. (See what I did there?)

2013-10-24 9:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

NC
Originally posted by TheClaaaw

The underlying assumption is that the woman is weaker or lesser, so to appear as one takes away from your manhood.

Or slower - generally, as already pointed out by someone faster than most guys on this forum.

Edited by Goosedog 2013-10-24 9:31 AM
2013-10-24 10:47 AM
in reply to: mmrocker13

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mmrocker13
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Lighten up, Francis

PORKED? I have been chicked and geezered and youth'ed and strollered. I am pretty sure if I got porked in a race, I'd know it. I think there are laws about doing that in public, anyway...

From the thread I linked:

Pector55 - 2009-10-11 1:40 PM I was running by a farm the other day.  Inside the fence in area a pig came flying past me.  I guess I got porked.

2013-10-24 2:19 PM
in reply to: Kido

Master
Memphis, TN
One of the women I ride with has a jersey that says "You just got chicked"

She thinks is pretty funny but then again she is pretty fast for a woman... or a man for that manner. I've hung on her wheel for several miles before because it was everything I could do to keep up.
2013-10-24 3:03 PM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
Originally posted by LittleCat

LOVE my new shirt I got at IM Lake Tahoe last month....

Do they have one that says "#I got chicked... A LOT"?
2013-10-24 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Paul
Originally posted by AtlantaBill

How is 'you got chicked' (when one teases a man who got passed by a woman), different from 'you throw like a girl'? It's intended to be a humorous, light-hearted put down, but is it saying you're SO inferior, you are passed by a woman, and all women are inferior. Therefore is it a put down to women?

Top women are in the top 10% to 5%, therefore most men are passed by the some women. I'm sure there are some egotist jerks, but I think most men welcome and encourage women. I guess it depends on the individual's level of self-confidence.

In my opinion, at least at the front of the peloton, 'you got chicked' is a compliment to the women who are moving up. When I get passed on the run, by women who started in a swim wave 3 minutes or 6 minutes after men, I comment 'I wish I could 'run like a girl', and always get a smile.

Or how about joking that women moving up in the sport 'improves the scenery'? Is this sexist? How about 'pace booty'? In my opinion, guys like looking at girls, AND girls like guys looking at them - or am I too politically incorrect, and we're not allowed to say this out loud any more.

No one is saying women are 'allowed' for the purpose of being eye candy. When I get chicked, I respect their strength. Women are no different than men, with regard to participating in triathlon. We're all just people. More women, more people, enjoying the sport is a good thing.

And then there is the whole popularity of 'women's only' races, another topic. Perhaps there are a lot of women who do not like guys looking at them.

Viva la difference!

Try to get laid on your own time, pal.
2013-10-24 3:46 PM
in reply to: Nathanm74

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

The only place I get chicked is in the kitchen

2013-10-24 5:43 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
PNW
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by AtlantaBill How is 'you got chicked' (when one teases a man who got passed by a woman), different from 'you throw like a girl'? It's intended to be a humorous, light-hearted put down, but is it saying you're SO inferior, you are passed by a woman, and all women are inferior. Therefore is it a put down to women? Top women are in the top 10% to 5%, therefore most men are passed by the some women. I'm sure there are some egotist jerks, but I think most men welcome and encourage women. I guess it depends on the individual's level of self-confidence. In my opinion, at least at the front of the peloton, 'you got chicked' is a compliment to the women who are moving up. When I get passed on the run, by women who started in a swim wave 3 minutes or 6 minutes after men, I comment 'I wish I could 'run like a girl', and always get a smile. Or how about joking that women moving up in the sport 'improves the scenery'? Is this sexist? How about 'pace booty'? In my opinion, guys like looking at girls, AND girls like guys looking at them - or am I too politically incorrect, and we're not allowed to say this out loud any more. No one is saying women are 'allowed' for the purpose of being eye candy. When I get chicked, I respect their strength. Women are no different than men, with regard to participating in triathlon. We're all just people. More women, more people, enjoying the sport is a good thing. And then there is the whole popularity of 'women's only' races, another topic. Perhaps there are a lot of women who do not like guys looking at them. Viva la difference!

The saying "got chicked" doesn't really do much for me one way or the other, but I think most people, regardless of gender, hate getting passed.  I hate getting passed, but I'm never a jerk to others about it. 

When I pass men there are three pretty typical responses:

1) very positive, encouraging ones (it sounds like you would fall into this category OP--good for you)

2) nothing, eyes straight ahead (totally cool with that, and I respect it), and will drop back and respect the rules on the bike

3) obviously put out by a woman passing and they put the hammer down  to not get passed, leap frog and don't drop back when passed

I have only had another woman #3 a couple of times, but I would guess close to 1/3 of the guys #3. 

I think there might be a correlation between how fast a guy thinks he is and his reaction to getting chicked.  Guys rolling along on the bike at 18mph seem to have less of an issue than guys moving at 22mph. IDK. *shrugging smiley*

I hate scenario #3.

Frankly, it's worse when you also happen to be an overweight woman with grey hair. Apparently, that's just too big of a blow to the ego. And while I kind of expect it to happen every once in awhile in a race, I'm always surprised when it happens on my commute to work. I should be used to it by now.

2013-10-24 5:53 PM

User image

Master
I'm not insulted by it. In a different sport I chic dudes often and it's because I'm good at what I'm doing. If a guy needs to point out my gender to make them feel better, then it's their issue, not mine.

Edited by Blanda 2013-10-24 5:55 PM
2013-10-24 5:56 PM
in reply to: GLC1968

User image

Pro

Three times at the HIM I did I heard,  "good job man, I hope I'm still able to do this when I'm your age"......I was all, ."thanks!......wait..........what??"

2013-10-24 7:09 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Originally posted by Left Brain

Three times at the HIM I did I heard,  "good job man, I hope I'm still able to do this when I'm your age"......I was all, ."thanks!......wait..........what??"

Haha! I get that all the time from my young friends.
2013-10-24 9:10 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

I get chicked regularly in the pool by a BT'er. She won't run with me though.
2013-10-25 1:48 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

I remember the first time I got chicked. It was a warm summer night at a bon fire....oh wait wrong forum

2013-10-25 2:19 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by thebigb

OooooooooooOOoooOOoooh look out now, better not come to Seattle. I know some women that may chick ya in both places

2013-10-25 2:26 PM
in reply to: Nathanm74

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Nathanm74
Try to get laid on your own time, pal.

FTW!

2013-10-25 3:43 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

NC
The real problem with the expression is that is it PLAYED OUT.

2013-10-25 5:06 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by thebigb

OooooooooooOOoooOOoooh look out now, better not come to Seattle. I know some women that may chick ya in both places

Haha!  I'm certainly more than ok with that.  I'm definitely not the fastest cat out there, very far from it.   I'm just hoping not to get chicked in my 10k next weekend.

Edited by thebigb 2013-10-25 5:07 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Is 'got chicked' insulting to women? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Getting Chicked (or Ducklinged??)

Started by TeddieMao
Views: 1175 Posts: 8

2012-06-20 10:38 AM Bcozican

Getting Chicked but then Un-chicked(pace booty)

Started by Livestrong191
Views: 1912 Posts: 23

2010-01-01 8:16 PM katherinel

What am I getting for my birthday?

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 861 Posts: 17

2007-12-08 2:13 PM run4yrlif

I am getting married this Fri

Started by kleinrider
Views: 964 Posts: 18

2007-10-10 8:17 AM LaurenSU02

am I getting liberal in my old age?

Started by vortmax
Views: 1050 Posts: 19

2006-03-16 11:18 AM vortmax
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : February 25, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Discussions on runners knee in women, training by distance or time, overdistance training, bricks and strides.

date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : July 9, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Amenorrhea can cause loss of calcium from the bones, almost a three times higher incidence of stress fractures, and long-term problems with early osteoporosis.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : May 3, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
Do women inevitably gain fat with menopause? If weight gain is not due to the hormonal shifts of menopause, what does cause it?