Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Is 'got chicked' insulting to women? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-10-23 2:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Is 'got chicked' insulting to women?
How is 'you got chicked' (when one teases a man who got passed by a woman), different from 'you throw like a girl'? It's intended to be a humorous, light-hearted put down, but is it saying you're SO inferior, you are passed by a woman, and all women are inferior. Therefore is it a put down to women?

Top women are in the top 10% to 5%, therefore most men are passed by the some women. I'm sure there are some egotist jerks, but I think most men welcome and encourage women. I guess it depends on the individual's level of self-confidence.

In my opinion, at least at the front of the peloton, 'you got chicked' is a compliment to the women who are moving up. When I get passed on the run, by women who started in a swim wave 3 minutes or 6 minutes after men, I comment 'I wish I could 'run like a girl', and always get a smile.

Or how about joking that women moving up in the sport 'improves the scenery'? Is this sexist? How about 'pace booty'? In my opinion, guys like looking at girls, AND girls like guys looking at them - or am I too politically incorrect, and we're not allowed to say this out loud any more.

No one is saying women are 'allowed' for the purpose of being eye candy. When I get chicked, I respect their strength. Women are no different than men, with regard to participating in triathlon. We're all just people. More women, more people, enjoying the sport is a good thing.

And then there is the whole popularity of 'women's only' races, another topic. Perhaps there are a lot of women who do not like guys looking at them.

Viva la difference!

2013-10-23 5:46 AM
in reply to: AtlantaBill

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Is 'got chicked' insulting to women?
Personally I have never minded the phrase. I enjoy being the cause of guys getting chicked. No one "allows" women to do triathlons anymore. This isn't the 1960's. We're all in it for our own reasons, fitness, health, competition, whatever. Speaking as a woman, I enjoy eye candy and chasing pace booty too. I would guess that many athletes of either gender enjoy looking at attractive, healthy members of their chosen gender(s). It's not a primary motivation but at times it adds to my enjoyment of an event. I don't mind if someone enjoys looking at me, either, as long as nobody's getting in my way or saying/doing something inappropriate. If it bothered me, I wouldn't parade through the streets in spandex. What I do resent is being told that women are only there for "decoration". (I was actually told this once by a race organizer to justify an unequal awards structure, but this is in a developing country without a mature sports culture.) We're there for the same range of motivations as the men.

As for women's only races, I don't think it has to do with men looking at women, as there will always be plenty of spectators. It's just a different setting where the top women can go head to head without people in the race that they're not actually competing against for prizes. At times in a big race, esp. if everyone starts together, it can be hard to keep track of the people you're competing against if men are the majority of the racers. Some beginners might feel more comfortable in a women's only race as they might feel it's more supportive and less competitive; personally it wouldn't matter for me. I actually prefer to have guys to chase and pace off of, esp. on the run and bike. Plus guys are usually physically bigger and better to draft off in swimming; I prefer being in a swim wave with guys to a women's only wave. (Actually I'd happily start with all men--I've been clawed several times by other women, including ripping my wetsuit--this wouldn't generally happen with men!)
2013-10-23 6:08 AM

User image

I only wish I had few enough real issues in my life to be concerned about stuff that doesn't even apply to me.

2013-10-23 8:35 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Huh?
2013-10-23 8:48 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by AtlantaBill  ...but is it saying you're SO inferior, you are passed by a woman, and all women are inferior

Seriously, where did you come up with that?

2013-10-23 9:11 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by AtlantaBill How is 'you got chicked' (when one teases a man who got passed by a woman), different from 'you throw like a girl'? It's intended to be a humorous, light-hearted put down, but is it saying you're SO inferior, you are passed by a woman, and all women are inferior. Therefore is it a put down to women? Top women are in the top 10% to 5%, therefore most men are passed by the some women. I'm sure there are some egotist jerks, but I think most men welcome and encourage women. I guess it depends on the individual's level of self-confidence. In my opinion, at least at the front of the peloton, 'you got chicked' is a compliment to the women who are moving up. When I get passed on the run, by women who started in a swim wave 3 minutes or 6 minutes after men, I comment 'I wish I could 'run like a girl', and always get a smile. Or how about joking that women moving up in the sport 'improves the scenery'? Is this sexist? How about 'pace booty'? In my opinion, guys like looking at girls, AND girls like guys looking at them - or am I too politically incorrect, and we're not allowed to say this out loud any more. No one is saying women are 'allowed' for the purpose of being eye candy. When I get chicked, I respect their strength. Women are no different than men, with regard to participating in triathlon. We're all just people. More women, more people, enjoying the sport is a good thing. And then there is the whole popularity of 'women's only' races, another topic. Perhaps there are a lot of women who do not like guys looking at them. Viva la difference!

Turn in your card.....just turn it in.

2013-10-23 9:28 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

New user
Are "man card" comments insulting to you guys?

Lots of things can be insulting or not, depends on so many things other than just what is said.
2013-10-23 10:08 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by AtlantaBill How is 'you got chicked' (when one teases a man who got passed by a woman), different from 'you throw like a girl'? It's intended to be a humorous, light-hearted put down, but is it saying you're SO inferior, you are passed by a woman, and all women are inferior. Therefore is it a put down to women? Top women are in the top 10% to 5%, therefore most men are passed by the some women. I'm sure there are some egotist jerks, but I think most men welcome and encourage women. I guess it depends on the individual's level of self-confidence. In my opinion, at least at the front of the peloton, 'you got chicked' is a compliment to the women who are moving up. When I get passed on the run, by women who started in a swim wave 3 minutes or 6 minutes after men, I comment 'I wish I could 'run like a girl', and always get a smile. Or how about joking that women moving up in the sport 'improves the scenery'? Is this sexist? How about 'pace booty'? In my opinion, guys like looking at girls, AND girls like guys looking at them - or am I too politically incorrect, and we're not allowed to say this out loud any more. No one is saying women are 'allowed' for the purpose of being eye candy. When I get chicked, I respect their strength. Women are no different than men, with regard to participating in triathlon. We're all just people. More women, more people, enjoying the sport is a good thing. And then there is the whole popularity of 'women's only' races, another topic. Perhaps there are a lot of women who do not like guys looking at them. Viva la difference!

The saying "got chicked" doesn't really do much for me one way or the other, but I think most people, regardless of gender, hate getting passed.  I hate getting passed, but I'm never a jerk to others about it. 

When I pass men there are three pretty typical responses:

1) very positive, encouraging ones (it sounds like you would fall into this category OP--good for you)

2) nothing, eyes straight ahead (totally cool with that, and I respect it), and will drop back and respect the rules on the bike

3) obviously put out by a woman passing and they put the hammer down  to not get passed, leap frog and don't drop back when passed

I have only had another woman #3 a couple of times, but I would guess close to 1/3 of the guys #3. 

I think there might be a correlation between how fast a guy thinks he is and his reaction to getting chicked.  Guys rolling along on the bike at 18mph seem to have less of an issue than guys moving at 22mph. IDK. *shrugging smiley*

2013-10-23 10:27 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

The only time I don't like getting passed by a woman is if she's too fast for me to hang on and enjoy the view for a while.

2013-10-23 10:30 AM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Elite

Anyone can be offended by anything. Depends on how hard you are looking for it.

2013-10-23 10:47 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by powerman

How dare you say that!!!  I'm offended you think I can get so easily offended. 

2013-10-23 10:58 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Elite

Originally posted by crowny2

No, I was saying you are lazy for not looking hard enough.

2013-10-23 10:59 AM

User image

Pro

Shut your pie hole!

2013-10-23 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
LOVE my new shirt I got at IM Lake Tahoe last month....

(chicked.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
chicked.jpg (248KB - 10 downloads)
2013-10-23 11:10 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Overthinking.

2013-10-23 11:23 AM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Seattle

Not to me ...

Men are faster than women. 

2013-10-23 11:36 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by crowny2

No, I was saying you are lazy for not looking hard enough.

WHAAAATTTT!!?!?!?!?!?!

Never mind.  I'm too lazy to type our the rest of my offended nature. 

2013-10-23 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

I like the words chick and booty, so I don't get offended by such things.  

Honestly, if I passed a dude (wait, is THAT word offensive guys?) and he said, "NICE AZZ" or "how did a woman just pass me?" I wouldn't be offended by those things either, and they're way more blatant.

But everyone's different.  Say pretty much anything in life and you'll find SOMEone it offends.

2013-10-23 11:52 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
2013-10-23 12:15 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Pro

Originally posted by noelle1230

Honestly, if I passed a dude (wait, is THAT word offensive guys?) and he said, "NICE AZZ" or "how did a woman just pass me THIS IS BULLCHIT!!!" I wouldn't be offended by those things either, and they're way more blatant.

But everyone's different.  Say pretty much anything in life and you'll find SOMEone it offends.

Fixed it for you.

2013-10-23 12:49 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by noelle1230

Honestly, if I passed a dude (wait, is THAT word offensive guys?) and he said, "NICE AZZ" or "how did a woman just pass me THIS IS BULLCHIT!!!" I wouldn't be offended by those things either, and they're way more blatant.

Fixed it for you.

That's a good man right there, taking care of the womenfolk when they can't express themselves properly.

When a woman passes me it's because I let her. And ONLY because I let her.

2013-10-23 1:21 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by 1stTimeTri

Here's a web page -
http://www.chicked.com/

Jeezuz... I was gonna buy a men's shirt that says " I get chicked, and I like it", but it's $65!!! $65 for a t-shirt??? I don't like getting chicked that much...

2013-10-23 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
If you are in endurance sports long enough, you realize there are very few guys who can always finish faster than all of the women.
Therefore I would assume the majority of guys get chicked at a tri in the truest sense that a woman beat them.

Guys who truly get upset that a woman beat them are not long for endurance activity.

I think the comment is more of a compliment to the woman who just passed the guy than it is an insult to the guy who got passed.
2013-10-23 3:18 PM
in reply to: Hugh in TX

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I get chicked, geezered, and geezer chicked in every race in which I participate.  I also beat a fair amount of younger guys and gals - so I guess they've been "old fat duded."

2013-10-23 3:29 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by 1stTimeTri

Here's a web page -
http://www.chicked.com/

To me, that's a bit like trash talking, which I CAN'T STAND.

I understand lots of people are faster than me.  Old, you, men, women, etc.  But a girl wearing that shirt is just like a guy wearing a "you suck" or "I'm better than you" or the like.

Pass me all day, I don't care.  Attempt to put me down while doing it?  No respect from me.  Fires me up a little and maybe a response.

I remember in volleyball once, some guy had a few really good hits/spikes in a row.  On the last one he said "all day"...  Like it was so easy for him.  So the next one he got?  I roofed the crap out of him and said "I thought you said 'all day'"?

Maybe it's me, but I think trash talk is cool between friends and funny.  But otherwise, goes against what I think is good sportsmanship.  I always think your actions should do the talking for you.  I can't imagine the chatter that goes on in an NFL or NBA game. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Is 'got chicked' insulting to women? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Getting Chicked (or Ducklinged??)

Started by TeddieMao
Views: 1175 Posts: 8

2012-06-20 10:38 AM Bcozican

Getting Chicked but then Un-chicked(pace booty)

Started by Livestrong191
Views: 1913 Posts: 23

2010-01-01 8:16 PM katherinel

What am I getting for my birthday?

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 861 Posts: 17

2007-12-08 2:13 PM run4yrlif

I am getting married this Fri

Started by kleinrider
Views: 964 Posts: 18

2007-10-10 8:17 AM LaurenSU02

am I getting liberal in my old age?

Started by vortmax
Views: 1050 Posts: 19

2006-03-16 11:18 AM vortmax
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : February 25, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Discussions on runners knee in women, training by distance or time, overdistance training, bricks and strides.

date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : July 9, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Amenorrhea can cause loss of calcium from the bones, almost a three times higher incidence of stress fractures, and long-term problems with early osteoporosis.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : May 3, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
Do women inevitably gain fat with menopause? If weight gain is not due to the hormonal shifts of menopause, what does cause it?