Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Kona "finish" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-21 1:29 PM
in reply to: gailg

User image

Subject: RE: Kona "finish"

Originally posted by gailg

I know her.  Karen Aydelott -- she has crossed the Kona finish line 12x under the time limit, and she won her AG at Kona in 1997.  Despite losing her leg, she still competes in the AG category, not in the Challenged Athletes category, and has qualified for Kona twice since then.  I suspect she does not care about the actual medal.  And she is one of the nicest, most giving triathletes I have trained and raced with.

Nice.  She is legit. 

2013-11-21 8:04 PM
in reply to: franktheguard

User image

Pro

Originally posted by franktheguard Intresting paradigm. I'm glad we agree. I'd like to add, I think your straying away from the topic, not that its a bad thing. But winning and wussification (oh whatever term youve used). The winner was first, and first per age group. The medal for me,should be given if you make the cutoff, otherwise no. I love the fact that another racer gave his medal, that is truly to be admired. IMO He/she (because its happened before) saw something that deserved being recognized or championed, notice...not the organization. As for survival, there are people who survive things everyday and dont get medals for it. Keeping to the topic of Ironman, you can survive that distance on a bored saturday or sunday if you are that bored and have the time, would you put forth the same effort doubtful but you could "survive" it. The survival is doing it in the time allotted.

Man.....that was YOUR term, I was trying to be nice....I'd definately use something else. 

2013-11-25 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4900901

User image

Extreme Veteran
" Or, you could go ahead and do it the same way they do it in the races my kids go to. Get on the podium for a medal or go home empty handed. Of course, I'm sure I'm raising kids who's self-esteem is being crushed because they didn't get a medal every time they lined up."

While I see your point, and agree in general, when it comes to this race and others that give finishers medals, part of what is offered to those who pay the entry fee, is that medal. I see it like commemorative swag, not a "prize " to promote self esteem.

What it means to the adults who get one is personal, and I like to think whomever lines up at the start of an IM has the emotional maturity to not need a medal to validate their efforts.
2013-11-25 8:48 AM
in reply to: Shop Cat

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Shop Cat " Or, you could go ahead and do it the same way they do it in the races my kids go to. Get on the podium for a medal or go home empty handed. Of course, I'm sure I'm raising kids who's self-esteem is being crushed because they didn't get a medal every time they lined up." While I see your point, and agree in general, when it comes to this race and others that give finishers medals, part of what is offered to those who pay the entry fee, is that medal. I see it like commemorative swag, not a "prize " to promote self esteem. What it means to the adults who get one is personal, and I like to think whomever lines up at the start of an IM has the emotional maturity to not need a medal to validate their efforts.

Don't give them out and watch what happens to "emotional maturity" in many of those IM'ers.   HA!!

2013-11-25 8:54 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
I went through my medals recently and had fond memories of each race I did to earn each one. I don't see a finishers medal as a prize, per se, but more as a keepsake -- something you can look at many years later and say `Oh I remember this race!'

2013-11-25 9:27 AM

User image

They should take the times of every finisher and average them and assign those as everyone's official time.

After all the people going really fast are only being greedy with their time and there is no reason not to reallocate the minutes to people who more need them.

2013-11-25 9:29 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by DanielG They should take the times of every finisher and average them and assign those as everyone's official time. After all the people going really fast are only being greedy with their time and there is no reason not to reallocate the minutes to people who more need them.

all finishers are equal, some are more equal than others.

2013-11-25 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sault Ste (Siberia) Marie
Personally, I don't care how long it took her, she finished the race, ergo she gets the medal. She may not have recorded an official time, but she did complete the course, which be definition makes her a finisher, and as such she was awarded a finisher's medal.
2013-11-25 2:16 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Shop Cat " Or, you could go ahead and do it the same way they do it in the races my kids go to. Get on the podium for a medal or go home empty handed. Of course, I'm sure I'm raising kids who's self-esteem is being crushed because they didn't get a medal every time they lined up." While I see your point, and agree in general, when it comes to this race and others that give finishers medals, part of what is offered to those who pay the entry fee, is that medal. I see it like commemorative swag, not a "prize " to promote self esteem. What it means to the adults who get one is personal, and I like to think whomever lines up at the start of an IM has the emotional maturity to not need a medal to validate their efforts.

Don't give them out and watch what happens to "emotional maturity" in many of those IM'ers.   HA!!

I don't care if i get a medal to be honest - I do love a free good quality running top and a towel - things i can use. The medal - it goes to school with my daughter for show and tell then it gets thrown in the drawer never to be seen again unless we change furniture or move house.

If they gave them out only to podium placers i'd never get one for sure and that drawer could house more useful items.
2013-11-25 5:08 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by mr2tony

I went through my medals recently and had fond memories of each race I did to earn each one. I don't see a finishers medal as a prize, per se, but more as a keepsake -- something you can look at many years later and say `Oh I remember this race!'

This. I would know that's the race I missed the cutoff by 17 seconds (or whatever). Plus, as a keepsake, it lasts longer than the shirt.

IMO just earning a spot at Kona gets a medal. I'll never do it. I am very impressed by those who can.
2013-11-25 5:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon
DP - sorry

Edited by ell-in-or 2013-11-25 5:09 PM

2013-11-25 6:31 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Medal - Yes

Official time - No

A friend of mine says "All that matters in the end is how nice you were."

2013-11-26 4:08 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

I’d like to see some big power switch at the finish line and as the clock goes to 17 hours someone flicks it and the whole Ironman circus gets plunged into darkness, the finish line collapses into box and all the other paraphernalia is whisked away by a team of ninjas dressed in black within 30 seconds. Those remaining on the course are just out on the street and it’s as if an Ironman ever happened. No finish line, no people. That’d be cool.

It’s always been weird returning to the IM finish area the day after a race and seeing it all back to normal – perhaps the odd sponge in the gutter being the only sign of what had been going on 24 hours before and tourists walking around uninhibited by shuffling middle aged people and glitzy barriers.
2013-11-27 11:31 AM
in reply to: gailg

User image

Regular
Originally posted by gailg

I know her.  Karen Aydelott -- she has crossed the Kona finish line 12x under the time limit, and she won her AG at Kona in 1997.  Despite losing her leg, she still competes in the AG category, not in the Challenged Athletes category, and has qualified for Kona twice since then.  I suspect she does not care about the actual medal.  And she is one of the nicest, most giving triathletes I have trained and raced with.

X3 and then some on this one. Awesome!

As for the medal - it's got nothing to do with me. If it encouraged someone else to go out and train against adversity, I am all for it. The medals all tarnish and rust, but the well fed spirit lives on.
2013-11-27 1:48 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by trijamie I think with Ironman, it's seen as less of a sporting event and more of a feat of survival, so I can understand that a person would feel pretty jipped if they came in a few seconds later. Technically they didn't do it, and I think that should very well be enforced, because without rules, it wouldn't be worth as much, but the medal itself is still a nice way of saying "yea, you still went the distance." I've been at the finish line an hour or 2 after midnight when the finish is being broken down and nobody's there anymore except the race crew, and racers STILL insist on finishing. They cross the line at 1 or 2 in the morning, and a crew member gives them a medal, just a gesture of accomplishment i guess. I also saw a girl at Coeur d' Alene who finished a few seconds too late, and a guy who had finished hours beforehand gave Mike Riley his medal, who gave it to the girl. That was a sweet gesture that got him a huge round of applause from everyone there. All that being said though, I'd be one of those people refusing the medal if I didn't make the cutoff.

For me, personally, I would refuse to take the medal if I didn't finish in the time allotted. That's just me. I don't care if anyone else gets or takes a medal. That's their deal. All I care about is what I'd do.  

2013-11-27 2:57 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Champion
Calgary
If it was me, and they offered me the medal, I would take it. Generally I don't enter races I am not likely to finish. If I was that close to the cutoff something would have happened. Something out of the norm. Something that likely left scars both mental and physical. Would I want a metal, no, but I would take it. And it would likely mean more to me than a metal that I "earned".

I am not one for race garb or metals, generally. But there are some races that I put on the shirt and it means something. It is like I remember every step that got me that PR. I have one particular DNF that stung quite bad and I gave away all my stuff. Surely I couldn't wear it. I regret that.

If it were me and I had finished Kona 12 times before, having qualified. I would hang that metal front and centre. And when someone asked me, oh I see you finished Kona 13 times. Well I would correct them and tell them a story.

No they should not have given her a metal. Filed under, "doing the wrong thing is sometimes the right thing."

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Kona "finish" Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

My proudest finish

Started by bmacmanus
Views: 711 Posts: 4

2006-06-05 10:17 PM madkat

Just finished tax

Started by nbo10
Views: 1034 Posts: 21

2006-02-22 6:44 PM tyrant

Julie Moss Ironman Finish - video

Started by auto208562
Views: 1164 Posts: 2

2005-11-16 5:07 PM oipolloi

Finish my sentence...

Started by uberbeginner
Views: 952 Posts: 18

2005-08-26 4:39 PM Zilla

Race Rests to Improve Finish?

Started by Ken
Views: 625 Posts: 3

2005-01-04 2:08 PM Drinking Buddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 26, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Highlights of Beginner Triathlete Members at the Ironman World Championships

date : October 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
A look at Beginner Triathlete members racing in Kona from qualifying to training to family.
date : November 12, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Four Kona athletes give us their race stories.

date : October 20, 2010
author : Coach AJ
We interview several age-groupers pre-race on their Ironman Kona race thoughts.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : October 24, 2004
author : BrianPBN
I can't say it enough, the feeling of treading water for that final minute, helicopters over head, Mike Riley's Iron-voice over the P.A. - just awesome. I cannot believe I'm here!