General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Creating My Own HIM Tri Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-06 8:36 AM

Subject: Creating My Own HIM Tri Questions
Given: Triathlon can be expensive.

I am on a very limited budget and can not afford to sign up for races anymore.

IF I s/b/r the HIM distances on my own, can I still claim to have finished a HIM?

OR is entering a race the only way to be legit?

What say you, BT?

ALSO: If I want to include others, how do I avoid liability issues?
Make it a "fun tri", like a "fun run"????
If I offer any support (a kayaker, nutrition, water) does this automatically make me liable?

2013-12-06 10:00 AM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Creating My Own HIM Tri Questions
Just say you're doing a Half Iron training session at full race pace with transitions and others are welcome to join you. You'll get a mixed bag of opinions of whether or not it's a legit "race" but I do recall others doing something similar in the past. Do your race, document your results, as a minimum you will have your PR for reference for when you finally do enter a more "official" race.

When you do this you can look at yourself in the mirror and proudly say you've completed a 70.3 mile triathlon. Does it really matter what others think?

You may encounter someone some day that asks "Have you done a triathlon?". Your answer may be yes, they'll ask which race, then you tell them what you want. Like "It was a very small race, not even chip timed, didn't even have a website, no t-shirts but I finished top 10...."

Heck, do your own until it's in the budget, then you'll be ready to hang with the big kids
2013-12-06 10:09 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
I don't know, it's a good question. Race day adds pressure, competition and nerves. I would not do a HIM by myself and claim I'd done a proper HIM, but on the other hand, if I ran 42.2km for fun one day, I'd add it to my total marathon count for sure.
2013-12-06 10:26 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
I feel you pain on the budget aspect. As a poor and married college student, my triathlon expenses are usually among the last considered.

I feel like the only difference between racing on your own and competing in a "sanctioned" event is the lack of real competition. So I guess if you got some buddies together and added that competition it would be more legit.

Also, no idea as to your liability in that matter but if you lived closer to D.C. I would totally do that with you.
2013-12-06 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
I've done something similar the past two years. I set up a single swim buoy, a tent for our spectator/transition security, a table with Gatorade, water, and cups and a bike rack. Everyone is on their own and distances vary. Depending on what race they are training for we've had everything from a mini-sprint to an OLY. I have jokingly given out awards and a few have written up a race report. It's all about getting comfortable with the distance and having fun.
2013-12-06 10:34 AM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

As far as I'm concerned, if you do it, you did it.  Who needs an RD to make it "real"?

Now, I wouldn't say you should be able to qualify for Kona or the like that way, but that's a different question than just about whether you've "done" one.  Kind of like saying a non-Ironman (tm) 140.6 isn't a real one - up to you where you want to draw that line, but that seems silly (the IM thing, not your question).

Think about from this perspective: I've "trained through" a number of races.  Didn't totally bury myself (although I always come pretty close if there's a number on my bib, there are some that are just very hard workouts), but these still "count," even if I wasn't fully racing.

Just my tuppence.

Matt

2013-12-06 10:35 AM

Sure there are differences between an 'official' race and an 'unoffical' race, but why should that matter? What really matters is what you do. Will you do the 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike and 13.1 mile run as if you were at an official race? You will have earned it, and that's good enough for me.

A few months ago, somebody here on BT did his own IM distance race and created a race report for it. I can't remember what that person's name is - anybody remember? In any case, the general consensus was that doing your own IM distance race was an awesome accomplishment. The personal initiative that he demonstrated is amazing and IMHO he's on par with any other IM finisher.

And I think the same applies to you. Go for it! Good luck and I look forward to reading your race report.

As for others and potential liability...oh boy, that's a tougher one to answer. I leave it to the lawyers here to chime in....

2013-12-06 10:42 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs

Doing it yourself - great!

Including others/ calling it a "race"/ providing support.... could get you into trouble if something happened. I'd avoid that

2013-12-06 11:03 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

It only counts if you have a kayaker follow you on the swim and periodically reach down and punch you in the face.

Doesn't matter to me either way, 70.3 is 70.3. 

If you want to include others I wouldn't provide anything whatsoever, if you do that it makes you the organizer and that is all a lawyer would need to try to stick you if something bad happened. You can plan a route and tell others what it is, but they need to provide their own resources. 

2013-12-06 11:04 AM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA

I think creating your own race is a pretty cool idea. Check out the link below. I remember this guy posting this a few months back and loved it.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

2013-12-06 10:14 PM

User image

Pro

is there a local tri club in your area?  you might be able to organize a practice tri for the club, get some volunteers, lay out some nutrition and put together a really fun training afternoon.  And once you see how much work it is- you may realize why Race Directors charge so much.  

whatever you do... is good.  

2013-12-07 8:45 AM

Originally posted by skibummer

IF I s/b/r the HIM distances on my own, can I still claim to have finished a HIM?

You can claim anything you want. That doesn't mean that others will agree with you.

I know of one guy who counts every training run of 13.1 miles as "another half marathon". Really? It was a frickin training run. I don't know any runner I respect who counts runs longer than that as HMs. It seems to me you are doing the same.

But you definitely can't say you did a Half Ironman (WTC calls them Ironman 70.3). You might be able to claim you did a Half Iron Distance. But your "self event" is not an Ironman event. Kind of like playing a round of golf doesn't mean it was a PGA event.
2013-12-07 8:55 AM
in reply to: CPA_PFS

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by CPA_PFS

You can claim anything you want. That doesn't mean that others will agree with you.

I know of one guy who counts every training run of 13.1 miles as "another half marathon". Really? It was a frickin training run. I don't know any runner I respect who counts runs longer than that as HMs. It seems to me you are doing the same.

But you definitely can't say you did a Half Ironman (WTC calls them Ironman 70.3). You might be able to claim you did a Half Iron Distance. But your "self event" is not an Ironman event. Kind of like playing a round of golf doesn't mean it was a PGA event.

Ouch! That's a little harsh, don't you think?

No need to ruin the guy's feeling of accomplishment if he chooses to go ahead and do it.
2013-12-07 9:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Would I call myself a HIM finisher? No. It's a long training day to me (that I wouldn't do). I'd say I've done an HIM distance in training. But who cares. No one is going to check (except on slowtwitch) so if you're comfortable saying you finished one, go for it.

Edited by ChrisM 2013-12-07 9:57 AM
2013-12-07 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
I say it'd count. You went through the effort to measure distances and arrange it all. If someone told me they planned their own Half-Iron distance race and completed it, I wouldn't question it. That's just me and my opinion though.
2013-12-07 2:03 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
In my book if you consecutively swim 1.2 miles, ride 56 miles, and run 13.1 miles, then yes, it's legitimate. But it doesn't matter what I think, it's what you think that counts!

For organized events, keep an eye out for discounted race entry fees by registering early. There are a few races here in Colorado that will discount or comp your entry if you volunteer for another event. Here are some other ideas about going "cheap." http://trited.blogspot.com/2013/12/triathlon-on-budget.html

2013-12-07 5:39 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by Dunn Right

No need to ruin the guy's feeling of accomplishment if he chooses to go ahead and do it.

Actually, I do not think it is harsh. I would chuckle in derision if someone told me they set up their own "Half Ironman" and ran it. Just like we chuckle at the runner who claims every 13.1 mile run is a "Half Marathon" and then brags about how many HMs he has done. I would also think he doesn't know that Ironman is a brand.

Like I said, playing a round of golf on a PGA course isn't the same as claiming to have played in the PGA.

Bottom line is ... he asked for opinions and I gave him mine. If you need it sugar coated ... eat some candy while you read this.

Edited by CPA_PFS 2013-12-07 5:49 PM
2013-12-08 9:28 AM
in reply to: CPA_PFS

Actually, I do not think it is harsh. I would chuckle in derision if someone told me they set up their own "Half Ironman" and ran it. Just like we chuckle at the runner who claims every 13.1 mile run is a "Half Marathon" and then brags about how many HMs he has done. I would also think he doesn't know that Ironman is a brand.

Like I said, playing a round of golf on a PGA course isn't the same as claiming to have played in the PGA.

Bottom line is ... he asked for opinions and I gave him mine. If you need it sugar coated ... eat some candy while you read this.

Way harsh, but I understand what you're saying, sort of. The difference, IMHO, is that if you say you played in the PGA, you're a professional golfer and you have the qualify for it. To complete a HIM, you don't have to qualify - you just sign-up and pay some $$. I don't think the OP is worried about the racing aspect of triathlons, he just wants to complete a HIM and doesn't have the $$ to do so.

Triathlons can be expensive, so there is no reason to be so harsh when someone with different economic background wants to complete a HIM and can't afford an official race. If you and your friends want to chuckle at folks who don't have the financial resources to 'compete' with you, then IMHO, you're being jerks.

I don't want to start a flame war here, but if we're stating our opinions, then that's mine.

2013-12-08 11:10 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

Way harsh, but I understand what you're saying, sort of. The difference, IMHO, is that if you say you played in the PGA, you're a professional golfer and you have the qualify for it. To complete a HIM, you don't have to qualify - you just sign-up and pay some $$. I don't think the OP is worried about the racing aspect of triathlons, he just wants to complete a HIM and doesn't have the $$ to do so.

Triathlons can be expensive, so there is no reason to be so harsh when someone with different economic background wants to complete a HIM and can't afford an official race. If you and your friends want to chuckle at folks who don't have the financial resources to 'compete' with you, then IMHO, you're being jerks.

I don't want to start a flame war here, but if we're stating our opinions, then that's mine.

^THIS
2013-12-09 10:26 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
If its not official, you did not do it jke jke jke

If i have seen your post two days ago i would have given you my $100.00 Half Iron Distance discounted fee for HITS Triathlon Half.

In my book (nobody messes with my book ) if you did 70.3 miles triathlon , you did it. I believe you. Hell I will even race you if your close by.

Dont give up on signing up HITS Triathlon are still up at $125. 00 weigh the costs of the time off your friends and family and resources you will need
Gatorade and Gu. if you will only save $40.00-$50.00 i would say stretch the string a little bit more and make it meet and just sign up for an event.
Either way you're cool!!

Good Luck!!! Man!!!

2013-12-09 10:36 AM

User image

Pro

Want to do an HIM on the cheap?

Contact a local RD who's putting on an HIM. Offer him/her your volunteered time in exchange for a race entry. A few hours of packet stuffing and helping set-up or tear-down could get you a free or low cost entry.

Might work, might not. Worth asking.

2013-12-09 10:57 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Want to do an HIM on the cheap?

Contact a local RD who's putting on an HIM. Offer him/her your volunteered time in exchange for a race entry. A few hours of packet stuffing and helping set-up or tear-down could get you a free or low cost entry.

Might work, might not. Worth asking.

Good IDea Elaine!!!

2013-12-09 12:11 PM

User image

Veteran
So
Youre giving the impression that youre worried what other people think and money is secondary.
First off I say if you feel legit then thats plenty.
Second; why not try a charity.
I know Ironheart (kickstart) has a program where you raise money for them and half goes back to you for race registration.
Team in training is another group I see out there alot, they might have comped registrations if you raise money.

As for doing one with others and yourself, sounds like your dabbling into RD territory. Which I cant speak much about.
Liability can be a realy dangerous thing if your taking it on for others.
A friend offered his place on the lake for tri practice and something similar to what your saying, nothing happened so i dont know the outcomes if something did.

Good luck
2013-12-09 3:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Do it as a group training session and don't bill it as an actual event where you're "putting it on" and there's no liability. I'm a lawyer. Plus, you won't have any insurance at the event as it's not sanctioned, and this would mean no target to sue or big corporation like WTC/Ironman.
Have T-shirts made and make up a funny name for your "session" and stamp 70.3 Finisher on it and who cares what anyone thinks. Otherwise, save up or let it be known this is what you want for Christmas/birthday/anniversary: $$ for a race entry. Let a real race director do all the logistics. You race.
2013-12-09 7:26 PM
in reply to: taylorz13

User image

It should not matter what others think the only thing that matters is what you do any how you feel about it. What would be wrong with a group of people doing a "training" race.

I plan on doing my first 50k on my own as I can not find a race that fits into the times I could race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Creating My Own HIM Tri Questions Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

trying to create my own training plan

Started by sunray1985
Views: 2068 Posts: 17

2013-10-01 4:19 PM AdventureBear

Create Our Own Mentor Group? (June - September)

Started by xxblueyesxx
Views: 1220 Posts: 10

2010-06-08 6:23 AM ironannekidd

Create your own bikelane...

Started by swishyskirt
Views: 1384 Posts: 10

2009-01-21 1:48 PM wannakona

Creating your own training plan

Started by amyro1234
Views: 1574 Posts: 15

2008-06-03 9:41 PM velveeta

Creating my own training plan

Started by mildew33
Views: 873 Posts: 8

2006-02-09 7:54 AM Daremo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 13, 2011
author : DaveScott
comments : 0
Dave Scott, six-time Hawaii Ironman world champion, shares his insights and plenty of stories to help you define your own success.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.
date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?

date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.
date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.

date : March 12, 2005
author : Ron
A step-by-step guide to creating your own training plans from other sources to import into your training log anytime.