Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What's the point of jail? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-13 8:09 PM

User image

Subject: What's the point of jail?
Reading another thread reminded me of a debate I sometimes have with friends about the objective of jail time.

It seems to boil down to three things:

1) Preventative: you may not carry out a crime because the resultant jail time / death penalty means it's not worth it
2) Punishment: you've done 'x' so you deserve to be punished with 'x' amount of jail time
3) Rehabilitation; you've committed a crime and need to be 'reprogrammed' to ensure you don't commit a crime again and return to society as a value adding citizen.

Which is it? If it's a combination, what's most important? Is it 33% each or is one more important than the other?

2013-12-13 9:39 PM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: What's the point of jail?
As somebody whose spent a few months in jail I'd say it's 100% punitive. The rehabilitation sessions are a joke and only meant to make people feel better about letting people out. Prison makes people harder, connects them with more criminals, and makes it even more difficult for people to get a real job. I'm not suggesting people shouldn't be punished so don't read me wrong. It's just that it is punishment.
2013-12-13 10:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Jail.............or prison? .............. It's nothing the same.

One is a "time out", the other is a removal and separation.

Which are you asking about?  I suspect it's prison since you mentioned rehabilitation, which is not a part of our jail system.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-12-13 10:32 PM
2013-12-13 11:28 PM

User image

Pro

And so,,,,,

Prevention - largely a myth. Think about any crime you may have committed...... not much of a deterrent, right?  Your own crime may have been very minor, but the mindset is the same for hardened criminals.

Punishment - largely in place to placate those of us who don't commit crimes, or commit crimes minor enough for us to still stand up in righteous indignation to those more heinous offenders, 

Rehabilitation - useful for kids and a small percentage of adults.....certainly worth a try for all, but mostly a failure for a certain percentage.

That being said, our prisons should be emptied of non-violent offenders.  Use jail (a time out), and massive societal sanctions.....house arrest with monitoring, mandatory counseling and, most importantly, mentoring.  Meaningful reprogramming does work.....it's the basic human condition reset.....ask any reformed criminal.  All good alternatives and workable...ask a recovering alcoholic

Violent offenders get a single chance at rehab......ONE CHANCE.  If they cannot be rehabbed in hat single instance and they commit another violent crime, then I'm sorry, you can no longer be trusted to live among the rest of us.  Life in prison.  It's harsh, but the truth is, violence grows.  The person who punches another person to get their way will resort to increased levels of violence to get their way and put all of us in an increasing amount of danger ......ask any abused wife if you don't believe it.  Yes, there are those among us who don't mind fighting back, but why should they have to live their lives in that manner?  If you think violence is the way to settle anything, and you act on those thoughts, we now have room for you in prison......forever.... and society is infinitely better for it.  And from a personal view, pizz on you, I'm sick of dealing with you, go rot in prison.

Prison should be for violent offenders......all non-violent drug and alcohol offenders should be released immediately, it's a joke to imprison those people.  Jail can be used for property crimes.  Rack up enough property crimes and you're gone too, but the truth is, most people who commit property crimes will become violent under the right circumstances......it just amounts to a basic lack of respect for your fellow man.  But there's enough space in our jails (not prisons) for thieves.....and we can make them really miserable places as well.

We've got room in our prisons/jails to accomplish this and make our society safer for all.......and in a few generations we won't even be discussing "gun control".

Edited by Left Brain 2013-12-13 11:41 PM
2013-12-13 11:54 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Dan-L Reading another thread reminded me of a debate I sometimes have with friends about the objective of jail time. It seems to boil down to three things: 1) Preventative: you may not carry out a crime because the resultant jail time / death penalty means it's not worth it 2) Punishment: you've done 'x' so you deserve to be punished with 'x' amount of jail time 3) Rehabilitation; you've committed a crime and need to be 'reprogrammed' to ensure you don't commit a crime again and return to society as a value adding citizen. Which is it? If it's a combination, what's most important? Is it 33% each or is one more important than the other?

You might have missed the most obvious.... if you can't act right in society, then you need to be removed from it. It's not complicated.

Oh... I did not read far enough... everything Left Brain said.

Edited by powerman 2013-12-14 12:04 AM
2013-12-14 6:18 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Jail.............or prison? .............. It's nothing the same.

One is a "time out", the other is a removal and separation.

Which are you asking about?  I suspect it's prison since you mentioned rehabilitation, which is not a part of our jail system.

Sorry - got my 'Americanisms' mixed up - I thought 'jail' was American for prison - so I meant prison.

2013-12-14 6:58 AM

User image

Elite

And so,,,,,

Prevention - largely a myth. Think about any crime you may have committed...... not much of a deterrent, right?  Your own crime may have been very minor, but the mindset is the same for hardened criminals.

Punishment - largely in place to placate those of us who don't commit crimes, or commit crimes minor enough for us to still stand up in righteous indignation to those more heinous offenders, 

Rehabilitation - useful for kids and a small percentage of adults.....certainly worth a try for all, but mostly a failure for a certain percentage.

That being said, our prisons should be emptied of non-violent offenders.  Use jail (a time out), and massive societal sanctions.....house arrest with monitoring, mandatory counseling and, most importantly, mentoring.  Meaningful reprogramming does work.....it's the basic human condition reset.....ask any reformed criminal.  All good alternatives and workable...ask a recovering alcoholic

Violent offenders get a single chance at rehab......ONE CHANCE.  If they cannot be rehabbed in hat single instance and they commit another violent crime, then I'm sorry, you can no longer be trusted to live among the rest of us.  Life in prison.  It's harsh, but the truth is, violence grows.  The person who punches another person to get their way will resort to increased levels of violence to get their way and put all of us in an increasing amount of danger ......ask any abused wife if you don't believe it.  Yes, there are those among us who don't mind fighting back, but why should they have to live their lives in that manner?  If you think violence is the way to settle anything, and you act on those thoughts, we now have room for you in prison......forever.... and society is infinitely better for it.  And from a personal view, pizz on you, I'm sick of dealing with you, go rot in prison.

Prison should be for violent offenders......all non-violent drug and alcohol offenders should be released immediately, it's a joke to imprison those people.  Jail can be used for property crimes.  Rack up enough property crimes and you're gone too, but the truth is, most people who commit property crimes will become violent under the right circumstances......it just amounts to a basic lack of respect for your fellow man.  But there's enough space in our jails (not prisons) for thieves.....and we can make them really miserable places as well.

We've got room in our prisons/jails to accomplish this and make our society safer for all.......and in a few generations we won't even be discussing "gun control".

LB, I can get on board with that! Great post. The one minor change I'd make is the ONE CHANCE violent offenders are being granted in "The LB Decree." If the one violent action is deplorable enough, no pass is granted. Other than that, I'm with ya.

2013-12-14 7:57 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

And so,,,,,

LB, I can get on board with that! Great post. The one minor change I'd make is the ONE CHANCE violent offenders are being granted in "The LB Decree." If the one violent action is deplorable enough, no pass is granted. Other than that, I'm with ya.

Agreed, we will add the CD amendment.

2013-12-14 8:06 AM
in reply to: #4913033

User image

Elite
Boise
Good point LB, but what do you do with non-violent offenders when they don't follow their probation? Put them in prison?
2013-12-14 8:41 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JoshR Good point LB, but what do you do with non-violent offenders when they don't follow their probation? Put them in prison?

I think you stay with it....increase the sanctions (fines, house arrest, monitoring, etc) AND the education.  It takes longer for some folks to see a better way.  But as long as they aren't physically hurting other people, there is no need to remove them from society, simply because we need the room for violent people.  Think about it......I bet we can pay "mentors" to stay with those people and continue to show them a better way cheaper than we can pay to imprison them, and prison will be much cheaper too, because I wouldn't provide anything more than the bare necessities of life.....food and shelter, that's it. 

And, let's face it, we need to get rid of some laws.....especially drug laws, so there will be many fewer "probationers".

2013-12-14 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
The fourth point of prison sentences is deterrence. As with the reflections on the effectiveness of the other points of sentences, deterrence has also been shown to largely not work. There is very little, if any meaningful difference in the murder rates in states with the death penalty and those without it, so the deterrent effect of that sentence can't really be used as a justification.

I do wonder though, if we did get rid of the threat of prison, how many Bernie Madofs would do the calculation, and figure the risk was worth the possible punishment?

I do, however, really believe that we need to think more about why we put criminals in prison, and then apply that consistently in sentencing. As LB has pointed out, based different theories of punishment, we could have vastly different sentences.

2013-12-14 10:25 AM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Pro

QUOTE]Originally posted by kmac1346 The fourth point of prison sentences is deterrence. As with the reflections on the effectiveness of the other points of sentences, deterrence has also been shown to largely not work. There is very little, if any meaningful difference in the murder rates in states with the death penalty and those without it, so the deterrent effect of that sentence can't really be used as a justification. I do wonder though, if we did get rid of the threat of prison, how many Bernie Madofs would do the calculation, and figure the risk was worth the possible punishment? I do, however, really believe that we need to think more about why we put criminals in prison, and then apply that consistently in sentencing. As LB has pointed out, based different theories of punishment, we could have vastly different sentences.

He already did that, right?  For a criminal like him you simply take everything he has, then as part of his probation you continue to take a large portion of any salary/money he makes and divide it among his victims forever, or until they are paid back..  How much money did he make in prison to pay back what he did?  None. Who benefited from society paying to keep him in prison?  Nobody.

2013-12-14 3:13 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

And so,,,,,

I kind of agree with you guys but how do you define "violent crime"? If you get in a fight and are charged with assault it's a violent crime. If somebody jumps you and you defend yourself, but end up getting screwed by the legal system because you can't afford an attorney, should you be put away for life? It's easy to say throw X away for life until you realize just how easy it is to find yourself in jail for life.
2013-12-14 5:16 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

I don't think prevention is largely a myth. There have been a few times in my life where I've really wanted to react violently to a situation (not now I'm a sensible old 39 year old of course) and the threat of the punishment has made me decide it wasn't worth it.

I also work in a job that requires a clean record so even when I'm tempted to cut corners or it would be easier to turn a blind eye to someone else's behaviour - I can't bring myself to do it because it would bring my life down around my ears if I got caught.

but in times of austerity, desperation and lack of opportunity the temptation to turn to crime gets greater (not for me I hasten to add - just in society in general) and I think it's a shame that more isn't done to help people who might be in this position through the fault of the excesses of others and we focus too much on hard and fast punishment.

I'm more in the grey areas than have been discussed in this thread although it's interesting to hear LB's assessment about non-violent offenders.
2013-12-14 7:18 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

And so,,,,,

I kind of agree with you guys but how do you define "violent crime"? If you get in a fight and are charged with assault it's a violent crime. If somebody jumps you and you defend yourself, but end up getting screwed by the legal system because you can't afford an attorney, should you be put away for life? It's easy to say throw X away for life until you realize just how easy it is to find yourself in jail for life.

That's why I advocate a second chance......because it happens. And, of course, like any idea mine needs to be tweaked. But I'll tell you this.... the Police, the courts, and the prison system all know, beyond any shadow of a doubt, who the violent people are.  When we get notice that one of them in our area is being released from prison we make it a priority to put them right back in.....and it usually doesn't take long.  Why do we pick on them?  Because we know damn well that when we have certain people off the street our crime levels drop.  It's not rocket science.  A very small percentage of people commit the majority of crimes.  Get them locked up.....forever, and enjoy the peace.

Oh yeah......if you don't like people stealing from your cars, your houses, or your businesses......legalize drugs and take away the overwhelmingly primary reason behind property crimes.....to get money for drugs.

2013-12-15 1:49 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by tuwood

And so,,,,,

That's why I advocate a second chance......because it happens. And, of course, like any idea mine needs to be tweaked. But I'll tell you this.... the Police, the courts, and the prison system all know, beyond any shadow of a doubt, who the violent people are.  When we get notice that one of them in our area is being released from prison we make it a priority to put them right back in.....and it usually doesn't take long.  Why do we pick on them?  Because we know damn well that when we have certain people off the street our crime levels drop.  It's not rocket science.  A very small percentage of people commit the majority of crimes.  Get them locked up.....forever, and enjoy the peace.

Oh yeah......if you don't like people stealing from your cars, your houses, or your businesses......legalize drugs and take away the overwhelmingly primary reason behind property crimes.....to get money for drugs.

Yeah, I agree.  There's no question that 90% (or maybe more) of the cases are obvious when it's truly violent.  It's just when you get the dang prosecutors involved they want to jack people with all kinds of stupid charges to make it a "violent" offense.

2013-12-15 3:48 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Reason #5 - Networking opportunities

The potential for collaboration between like-minded individuals is amazing.  Then add plenty of time.  I run 2 Day Summits and we get amazing results in a short amount of time.

Edited by pga_mike 2013-12-15 3:52 PM
2013-12-16 9:48 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I thought the point of putting drug offenders into prison at least was to make money for for profit prisons.

In a more serious note my friend's brother went into prison a small time drug dealer and came out a much bigger dealer.

I do agree with Left Brain about forgiveness. A friend of mine was one of the hardest working sweetest people I ever met. Unfortunately he was too nice and could not tell his wife where she could go so he used alcohol to escape her. Well one time he got so drug well he blacked out. He woke up in the hospital in restraints. They took him to the hospital for dehydration where supposedly hit a security officer who told him to go back to bed while trying to find water to drink. Good news its been 5 years and he has not drank but he also been 5 years without a job because of his record now.
2013-12-16 10:28 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by Dan-L Reading another thread reminded me of a debate I sometimes have with friends about the objective of jail time. It seems to boil down to three things: 1) Preventative: you may not carry out a crime because the resultant jail time / death penalty means it's not worth it 2) Punishment: you've done 'x' so you deserve to be punished with 'x' amount of jail time 3) Rehabilitation; you've committed a crime and need to be 'reprogrammed' to ensure you don't commit a crime again and return to society as a value adding citizen. Which is it? If it's a combination, what's most important? Is it 33% each or is one more important than the other?

4.)  To let you know just how good of a night you had.

In all seriousness, it is 2. Punishment.  Play by the rules or you do not get to be a part of society.  

2013-12-16 10:43 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
I agree almost completely with LB. An old friend was released last week after an 8 month sentence at a minimum security federal prison in Bryan, TX. She made a plea deal on a financial crime that she did not commit after fighting it for 2+ years and losing everything to attorney fees and fearing the worst (longer sentence) if she did not take the deal. No prior record, and amount less than $5K. She is probably the most honest person I have ever met. State officials dropped the case due to lack of evidence, but feds pushed forward. Moral of the story: if you work at a bank, don't get crossways with your boss.

Anyway, I went to visit her once a month, and got an education on our "justice" system. This facility housed all non-violent offenders, and some of the sentences vs. the crimes were just off the wall. Grandmother who worked in her son's pharmacy where some funny business may or may not have been going on got 15 years. Young lady working in a S&L who signed off on mortgage documents that violated some law, etc. with a 10 year sentence. And of course lots of young women caught up in drug stuff of one kind or another. Keeping many of those ladies there did zero good for anyone. My friend's last 5 weeks were spent at a halfway house, which was much worse than the prison and a great place to get re-connected in the drug world if that's where you aimed. It was a for profit outfit that also housed violent offenders, men and women. I could say so much more about all that I learned from seeing this, but let's just say that my perspectives have forever been changed.

My one point of contention with LB's plan is that I do think folks with repeat DUI's need to be removed from the streets. I think they pose a danger that is much the same as a violent offender even if the intent is not there.
2013-12-16 10:51 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

So what do you do with habitual offenders?  The "non violent ones? Keep giving them time outs?

I have a case in MS where the subjects were habitual offenders for theft and they meet the standards for getting life? MS don't play around. Many in Memphis will do whatever we need them to do if they have charges in MS that we can help them with. So jail time can be a detterent.

2013-12-16 11:02 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jford2309

So what do you do with habitual offenders?  The "non violent ones? Keep giving them time outs?

I have a case in MS where the subjects were habitual offenders for theft and they meet the standards for getting life? MS don't play around. Many in Memphis will do whatever we need them to do if they have charges in MS that we can help them with. So jail time can be a detterent.

Most habitual offenders in theft cases here are drug abusers.  prison is absolutely no detterent for them....unless they aren't ever getting out, and then, of course, the stealing stops.  BUT....I go back to my original thoughts, prison should not be for non-violent offenders....because all they are doing is taking up a bed that should be occupied by people who prey on other people.

The best way to stop the stealing by drug abusers (and really, most property crimes are committed by drug abusers) is to legalize the drugs, and make them easier to obtain by addicts so they don't have to steal.....and use the money made from the taxes of legal sales to fund drug rehab centers.  The problem with most "legalize" laws is that states want to use the tax money to fund the govt......that's dumb.

2013-12-16 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL

Most habitual offenders in theft cases here are drug abusers.  prison is absolutely no detterent for them....unless they aren't ever getting out, and then, of course, the stealing stops.  BUT....I go back to my original thoughts, prison should not be for non-violent offenders....because all they are doing is taking up a bed that should be occupied by people who prey on other people.

The best way to stop the stealing by drug abusers (and really, most property crimes are committed by drug abusers) is to legalize the drugs, and make them easier to obtain by addicts so they don't have to steal.....and use the money made from the taxes of legal sales to fund drug rehab centers.  The problem with most "legalize" laws is that states want to use the tax money to fund the govt......that's dumb.

I will disagree to a certain extent - I don't think legalizing will keep people from stealing to get money to buy drugs. They are stealing because they don't have money, don't work, don't want to work, etc. I see a fair amount of defendants stealing liquor (defendants well over 21) and certainly alcohol is legal. Perhaps I'm missing something, but to legalize drugs does not mean they are free. Unless they are covered under Obamacare and covered by your health insurance. (you know, a prescription) That could be where I am short sighted.
2013-12-16 11:44 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

For me it was two out of three:

Punitive - I messed up and got punished

Preventative - I never want to go back. Ever

2013-12-16 11:57 AM
in reply to: crimefighter2

User image

Pro

Originally posted by crimefighter2

I will disagree to a certain extent - I don't think legalizing will keep people from stealing to get money to buy drugs. They are stealing because they don't have money, don't work, don't want to work, etc. I see a fair amount of defendants stealing liquor (defendants well over 21) and certainly alcohol is legal. Perhaps I'm missing something, but to legalize drugs does not mean they are free. Unless they are covered under Obamacare and covered by your health insurance. (you know, a prescription) That could be where I am short sighted.

Yeah, there's no doubt it needs some tweaking like I said earlier.....but the war on drugs should be over and we should be looking at alternative ways of dealing with it, including legalization, providing, treatment, etc.  Anything except priosn is ok with me....because I want the space for violent offenders. 

As for the liquor thefts.....the majority of the cases we get are people stealing liquor and then trading for heroin, but then, we're pretty much overrun by heroin zombies so a huge amjount of our crime in centered around that addiciton.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What's the point of jail? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

What's the point of a mustache? Pages: 1 2

Started by PhoenixTX
Views: 4178 Posts: 28

2010-08-12 12:29 PM Kido

What's the point of Rant threads??? Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 1381 Posts: 27

2009-09-28 9:15 PM tbronaugh

Sunday discussion - "NASA: What's the point?" Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Big Mac
Views: 2530 Posts: 74

2009-03-31 10:26 PM froglegs

What's the point of ginger?

Started by itri2
Views: 1046 Posts: 17

2006-02-15 10:22 AM Opus

Go directly to jail, do not pass "GO"

Started by max
Views: 1176 Posts: 16

2005-08-11 12:51 PM tupuppy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.

date : August 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.