Other Resources The Political Joe » Will homosexuals always have to "come out"? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-30 2:21 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: Will homosexuals always have to "come out"?
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/robin-roberts-publicly-m...

Personally I find it both bizarre and sad that people feel the need or have to come out. I get that there are career and family and other personal issues associated with it. But if homosexuality and bisexuality are as pervasive as is claimed obviously there are more people of the non traditional sexuality in the public eye than we know of. So, even though I find it bizarre and sad I am super happy when I read a story like this and someone had the courage to out themselves. I think that it must make it easier for people struggling with hiding a part of themselves.

Which brings me to my question, although it is not abnormal to be a homosexual those who are are in the minority. Will they always have to come out? Like if they don't come out is it fair to assume they are straight. Do they have an obligation to come out. Do straight people have an obligation to confirm their sexuality.

And why does this matter to me. Because if there are people out there who are lesser versions of themselves because they cannot share what they want to share with the world, that concerns me.

2013-12-30 2:26 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Will homosexuals always have to "come out"?

I'm still trying to figure out why it matters to anyone what someone elses sexuality is.  It just seems bizarre to me.  What the hell difference does it make?

2013-12-30 2:36 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I am tired of the news media reporting when someone "comes out" To me this is not really a news story that should be in my news alerts, I really don't care.

2013-12-30 2:48 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I am almost too much the other way. I never assume anything about the person unless they something like my bf, gf, husband, or wife. Which always brings me to a in wait what moments with my older female friends who commonly refer to close females as there gfs but are not really there girlfriends.
2013-12-30 2:51 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I don't get it, I thought you couldn't get pregnant that way

2013-12-30 3:01 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by Left Brain

I'm still trying to figure out why it matters to anyone what someone elses sexuality is.  It just seems bizarre to me.  What the hell difference does it make?

I guess you are right. I suppose it matters to me that people know what my sexuality is. And if I was gay then that would matter to me too, I think. So as long as the people who it matters to are free to let other people know then that is good.

The other bit is that it is very important to some people to know what someone's sexuality is because those people make assumptions about that person based on their sexuality that have nothing to do with their sexuality. In fact, those people need to be stopped, preferably before they become leaders of Olympic hosting nations. I suppose I think the sooner everyone thinks homosexuality is completely harmless the sooner those people will change their opinions. And it will seem less harmful or perhaps even harmless when more people come out.

Also see where George Clooney refused to comment on whether he was gay or straight.

2013-12-30 3:06 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by jford2309

I am tired of the news media reporting when someone "comes out" To me this is not really a news story that should be in my news alerts, I really don't care.

I enjoy them. I see them as compelling human interest stories. I imagine, for those people, anyone they care about knowing they are gay already knows. To come out is showing someone to be courageous and altruistic. Those actions should be celebrated.
2013-12-30 3:18 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BigDH

I guess you are right. I suppose it matters to me that people know what my sexuality is. And if I was gay then that would matter to me too, I think. So as long as the people who it matters to are free to let other people know then that is good. The other bit is that it is very important to some people to know what someone's sexuality is because those people make assumptions about that person based on their sexuality that have nothing to do with their sexuality. In fact, those people need to be stopped, preferably before they become leaders of Olympic hosting nations. I suppose I think the sooner everyone thinks homosexuality is completely harmless the sooner those people will change their opinions. And it will seem less harmful or perhaps even harmless when more people come out. Also see where George Clooney refused to comment on whether he was gay or straight.

Dude....homosexuality IS friggin completely harmless....no matter what anyone THINKS about it.  People are going to think whatever they want, but having more people declare whether they are or not......what difference does that make? 

I just can't, for the life of me, figure out why anyone would worry about someone else's sexual orientation.  It obviously doesn't make any difference to what kind of a person they are, because there are plenty of homosexual people who are not out and nobody gives a rats arse, we all get along fine without knowing who the other prefers to sleep with.  Geez.

I wish homosexual people didn't feel the need to "come out" either.....but only because I wish for them the self assurance that they are fine as human beings .....surely as well as the rest of us.  There is nothing to hide from or for......it's nobody's business.

2013-12-30 3:26 PM

User image

Seattle

I guess you are right. I suppose it matters to me that people know what my sexuality is. And if I was gay then that would matter to me too, I think. So as long as the people who it matters to are free to let other people know then that is good. The other bit is that it is very important to some people to know what someone's sexuality is because those people make assumptions about that person based on their sexuality that have nothing to do with their sexuality. In fact, those people need to be stopped, preferably before they become leaders of Olympic hosting nations. I suppose I think the sooner everyone thinks homosexuality is completely harmless the sooner those people will change their opinions. And it will seem less harmful or perhaps even harmless when more people come out. Also see where George Clooney refused to comment on whether he was gay or straight.

Dude....homosexuality IS friggin completely harmless....no matter what anyone THINKS about it.  People are going to think whatever they want, but having more people declare whether they are or not......what difference does that make? 

I just can't, for the life of me, figure out why anyone would worry about someone else's sexual orientation.  It obviously doesn't make any difference to what kind of a person they are, because there are plenty of homosexual people who are not out and nobody gives a rats arse, we all get along fine without knowing who the other prefers to sleep with.  Geez.

I wish homosexual people didn't feel the need to "come out" either.....but only because I wish for them the self assurance that they are fine as human beings .....surely as well as the rest of us.  There is nothing to hide from or for......it's nobody's business.

Well, what about just a simple conversation where someone asks you about your family? No, they aren't asking directly about one's sexual orientation but in my case, telling them about my girlfriend, I AM coming out.  Whether anyone likes it or not I guess.

I have to come out all the time like this. 

So to the OP, yeah, I think we will probably always have to "come out." But I just think that's due to the majority of the population being straight and kind of making this assumption unless told otherwise. I don't know though. 

2013-12-30 3:30 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
2013-12-30 3:38 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by tuwood

Perfect.

I think it's beneficial to some younger people to see that there are successful people who are just like them. I agree with LB that I don't understand why anyone cares what someone else's sexuality is, but it is a big deal. I remember my mom asking my aunt once why she never adopted a kid (That's a whole other subject though. My mom thinks everyone HAS to have kids.). My aunt said that she never really felt comfortable with herself, so how could she bring a kid into that situation. That's where the real harm comes from in promoting the anti-gay stance IMO. The more people that "come out" the more it will help those who struggle with it, I think.

2013-12-30 3:41 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Well, what about just a simple conversation where someone asks you about your family? No, they aren't asking directly about one's sexual orientation but in my case, telling them about my girlfriend, I AM coming out.  Whether anyone likes it or not I guess.

I have to come out all the time like this. 

So to the OP, yeah, I think we will probably always have to "come out." But I just think that's due to the majority of the population being straight and kind of making this assumption unless told otherwise. I don't know though. 

That's interesting, Salty, because I run across couples like you and your girlfriend all of the time....I never even considered it as "coming out", but I can see your point, even if it doesn't even make me think twice when someone mentions their same sex partner.....because I just don't care about sexual orientation.....I care about decent people.

2013-12-30 5:28 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I came across this article today. Seems appropriate.

http://www.esquire.com/_mobile/blogs/culture/gay-celebrities-2013?s...

2013-12-30 5:34 PM

User image

Who the hell cares. I'm tired of hearing about it both ways.
2013-12-30 5:37 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by JoshR

Perfect. I think it's beneficial to some younger people to see that there are successful people who are just like them. I agree with LB that I don't understand why anyone cares what someone else's sexuality is, but it is a big deal. I remember my mom asking my aunt once why she never adopted a kid (That's a whole other subject though. My mom thinks everyone HAS to have kids.). My aunt said that she never really felt comfortable with herself, so how could she bring a kid into that situation. That's where the real harm comes from in promoting the anti-gay stance IMO. The more people that "come out" the more it will help those who struggle with it, I think.

Yeah, I completely agree.

I definitely understand the perspective of those of you who could care less and don't even think it should be a "thing." I don't think it should be either, but unfortunately for the time being, it is a thing. And for those younger people, or just generally people who are still scared to be out, it's really beneficial to see others come out. I know it was for me. 

2013-12-30 5:47 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JoshR

Perfect. I think it's beneficial to some younger people to see that there are successful people who are just like them. I agree with LB that I don't understand why anyone cares what someone else's sexuality is, but it is a big deal. I remember my mom asking my aunt once why she never adopted a kid (That's a whole other subject though. My mom thinks everyone HAS to have kids.). My aunt said that she never really felt comfortable with herself, so how could she bring a kid into that situation. That's where the real harm comes from in promoting the anti-gay stance IMO. The more people that "come out" the more it will help those who struggle with it, I think.

Yeah, I completely agree.

I definitely understand the perspective of those of you who could care less and don't even think it should be a "thing." I don't think it should be either, but unfortunately for the time being, it is a thing. And for those younger people, or just generally people who are still scared to be out, it's really beneficial to see others come out. I know it was for me. 

Good enough.

2013-12-30 5:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

But I do wonder, for those of you that are sick of all these celebrities coming out and it being headline news; 

Would you have less of an issue if they were just out and didn't make some huge deal about it? For example, when asked about it they would answer honestly and then move on?

I believe I would prefer that be the case. And I feel like then it would slowly become less and less of a thing (if they stopped making it one.) But in a lot of cases, as a celebrity, they probably don't have that luxury and it's just one of those things (like twerking, celebrity dog clothing and cellulite) that the media will always sensationalize. And that's a separate issue. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-12-30 5:59 PM
2013-12-30 6:15 PM

User image

But I do wonder, for those of you that are sick of all these celebrities coming out and it being headline news; 

Would you have less of an issue if they were just out and didn't make some huge deal about it? For example, when asked about it they would answer honestly and then move on?

I

Bingo.

(if I don't know you that well) "So, you have plans for the holiday? Significant other plans? Family?"

If I know you, I'll use gender.

Can we shut the hell up about it otherwise? It's gotten to the point that I tend to vote against whatever people are bellowing the loudest about.

2013-12-30 8:04 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG

I

Bingo. (if I don't know you that well) "So, you have plans for the holiday? Significant other plans? Family?" If I know you, I'll use gender. Can we shut the hell up about it otherwise? It's gotten to the point that I tend to vote against whatever people are bellowing the loudest about.

Daniel......I'm feeling like we can shove you over the edge with this one.

2013-12-30 8:16 PM

User image

Elite

I just wish that someday Left handed people can find the same acceptance and not have to constantly be "found out" and forced to live an unnatural way in an unnatural world.

2013-12-30 10:31 PM

User image

Pro

I believe I would prefer that be the case. And I feel like then it would slowly become less and less of a thing (if they stopped making it one.) But in a lot of cases, as a celebrity, they probably don't have that luxury and it's just one of those things (like twerking, celebrity dog clothing and cellulite) that the media will always sensationalize. And that's a separate issue. 

Does this happen?  I mean, who in the hell asks someone if they are gay or not gay or whatever?  All I can say is that it would never occur to me to ask someone that....because it makes no difference in anything we could possibly be talking about. 

2013-12-31 2:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I

Bingo. (if I don't know you that well) "So, you have plans for the holiday? Significant other plans? Family?" If I know you, I'll use gender. Can we shut the hell up about it otherwise? It's gotten to the point that I tend to vote against whatever people are bellowing the loudest about.

Not just this one. There are a handful of issues I'm sick and tired about hearing about to the point that I vote against them just because of the bellowing buttholes that are pushing one issue or another.

(edit)I've also called more than one company and said something akin to, "I need the services your company provides. Since you saw fit to mark my house for burglars by putting your card in my door so it was visible from the street, I will specifically NOT use your company to have the service done. Added to that, we've had a few block get togethers and pretty much everyone else is in agreement with this decision. Perhaps you might want to rethink your advertising campaign. Goodbye."

Edited by DanielG 2013-12-31 2:22 AM
2013-12-31 8:37 AM

User image

Pro

I

Not just this one. There are a handful of issues I'm sick and tired about hearing about to the point that I vote against them just because of the bellowing buttholes that are pushing one issue or another. (edit)I've also called more than one company and said something akin to, "I need the services your company provides. Since you saw fit to mark my house for burglars by putting your card in my door so it was visible from the street, I will specifically NOT use your company to have the service done. Added to that, we've had a few block get togethers and pretty much everyone else is in agreement with this decision. Perhaps you might want to rethink your advertising campaign. Goodbye."

Honestly, I don't recall ever working a burglary o rinterviewing a burglar who targeted a house because of a flyer on the doorknob, etc.   But yeah, give 'em hell, I hate the trash.

2013-12-31 8:42 AM

User image

Because if homosexuals were ever seen as having equal status to heterosexuals the liberal elite would loose a key constituency that keeps them in power.

2013-12-31 8:46 AM

User image

I

Not just this one. There are a handful of issues I'm sick and tired about hearing about to the point that I vote against them just because of the bellowing buttholes that are pushing one issue or another. (edit)I've also called more than one company and said something akin to, "I need the services your company provides. Since you saw fit to mark my house for burglars by putting your card in my door so it was visible from the street, I will specifically NOT use your company to have the service done. Added to that, we've had a few block get togethers and pretty much everyone else is in agreement with this decision. Perhaps you might want to rethink your advertising campaign. Goodbye."

Honestly, I don't recall ever working a burglary o rinterviewing a burglar who targeted a house because of a flyer on the doorknob, etc.   But yeah, give 'em hell, I hate the trash.

We've had a few around here (two/three state area) in the past 10-15 years that put flyers on doors and then just watched to see which ones were still there a few days later.

In any case, I still hate the trash they're leaving on my door for me to clean up.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Will homosexuals always have to "come out"? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
comments : 0
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout