Other Resources The Political Joe » Will homosexuals always have to "come out"? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-31 8:53 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Will homosexuals always have to "come out"?

Originally posted by Jackemy1 Because if homosexuals were ever seen as having equal status to heterosexuals the liberal elite would loose a key constituency that keeps them in power.

So you're saying it's the liberals keeping gay people from having equal status under the llaw?  That's.....................interesting.

2013-12-31 9:26 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by DanielG

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Asalzwed

But I do wonder, for those of you that are sick of all these celebrities coming out and it being headline news; 

Would you have less of an issue if they were just out and didn't make some huge deal about it? For example, when asked about it they would answer honestly and then move on?

I

Bingo. (if I don't know you that well) "So, you have plans for the holiday? Significant other plans? Family?" If I know you, I'll use gender. Can we shut the hell up about it otherwise? It's gotten to the point that I tend to vote against whatever people are bellowing the loudest about.

Daniel......I'm feeling like we can shove you over the edge with this one.

Not just this one. There are a handful of issues I'm sick and tired about hearing about to the point that I vote against them just because of the bellowing buttholes that are pushing one issue or another.

(edit)I've also called more than one company and said something akin to, "I need the services your company provides. Since you saw fit to mark my house for burglars by putting your card in my door so it was visible from the street, I will specifically NOT use your company to have the service done. Added to that, we've had a few block get togethers and pretty much everyone else is in agreement with this decision. Perhaps you might want to rethink your advertising campaign. Goodbye."

So in summary:

Get off my lawn!
2013-12-31 9:53 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Jackemy1 Because if homosexuals were ever seen as having equal status to heterosexuals the liberal elite would loose a key constituency that keeps them in power.

So you're saying it's the liberals keeping gay people from having equal status under the llaw?  That's.....................interesting.

I am saying that it is no different than how the liberal power uses the African-American community or any other group to divide Americans to perpetuate perceived injustices and then uses the perceived injustice to their political benefit.

Your slipping in the polls with women....play the abortion card (i.e. last Virginia's Governor's race)
Need the hispanic vote.....make immigration an issue
Want the GLBTs to show up to the polls......put gay marriage on as a referendum
Need a last minute boost from African-American....Bring out Al Sharpton for some race baiting

Really, how would would liberal elites maintain their elite status if Americans were just Americans-whatever the race, creed, color, sexual orientation, gender, ethnicity and so on.

2013-12-31 9:55 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jackemy1

I am saying that it is no different than how the liberal power uses the African-American community or any other group to divide Americans to perpetuate perceived injustices and then uses the perceived injustice to their political benefit. Your slipping in the polls with women....play the abortion card (i.e. last Virginia's Governor's race) Need the hispanic vote.....make immigration an issue Want the GLBTs to show up to the polls......put gay marriage on as a referendum Need a last minute boost from African-American....Bring out Al Sharpton for some race baiting Really, how would would liberal elites maintain their elite status if Americans were just Americans-whatever the race, creed, color, sexual orientation, gender, ethnicity and so on.

Gotcha......I wouldn't argue with that.

2013-12-31 9:56 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Originally posted by JoshR

But I do wonder, for those of you that are sick of all these celebrities coming out and it being headline news; 

Would you have less of an issue if they were just out and didn't make some huge deal about it? For example, when asked about it they would answer honestly and then move on?

I

Bingo. (if I don't know you that well) "So, you have plans for the holiday? Significant other plans? Family?" If I know you, I'll use gender. Can we shut the hell up about it otherwise? It's gotten to the point that I tend to vote against whatever people are bellowing the loudest about.

Daniel......I'm feeling like we can shove you over the edge with this one.

Not just this one. There are a handful of issues I'm sick and tired about hearing about to the point that I vote against them just because of the bellowing buttholes that are pushing one issue or another.

(edit)I've also called more than one company and said something akin to, "I need the services your company provides. Since you saw fit to mark my house for burglars by putting your card in my door so it was visible from the street, I will specifically NOT use your company to have the service done. Added to that, we've had a few block get togethers and pretty much everyone else is in agreement with this decision. Perhaps you might want to rethink your advertising campaign. Goodbye."

So in summary:

Get off my lawn!

I'm getting an M1 from the CMP for just such an occasion.

2013-12-31 10:22 AM

User image

Elite
Boise

I am saying that it is no different than how the liberal power uses the African-American community or any other group to divide Americans to perpetuate perceived injustices and then uses the perceived injustice to their political benefit.

Your slipping in the polls with women....play the abortion card (i.e. last Virginia's Governor's race)
Need a last minute boost from African-American....Bring out Al Sharpton for some race baiting

Really, how would would liberal elites maintain their elite status if Americans were just Americans-whatever the race, creed, color, sexual orientation, gender, ethnicity and so on.

It wouldn't work if there wasn't something to it though.

2013-12-31 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

I am saying that it is no different than how the liberal power uses the African-American community or any other group to divide Americans to perpetuate perceived injustices and then uses the perceived injustice to their political benefit. Your slipping in the polls with women....play the abortion card (i.e. last Virginia's Governor's race) Need the hispanic vote.....make immigration an issue Want the GLBTs to show up to the polls......put gay marriage on as a referendum Need a last minute boost from African-American....Bring out Al Sharpton for some race baiting Really, how would would liberal elites maintain their elite status if Americans were just Americans-whatever the race, creed, color, sexual orientation, gender, ethnicity and so on.

clarify something for us....are you saying there are NO 'injustices' being done to African Americans/minorities, Women's Reproductive Rights, the GLBT community, the poor/jobless/homeless, etc. etc. etc.  That these are simply PERCEIVED?!

Please excuse the 'Liberal Elites" for standing up for those 'perceived injustices' in basic Human Rights. Blame that danged Constitution-you know, the document the Conservative Right quotes as they're making Duck Daddy a posterboy for 1st Amendment/Religious liberties, or the NRA uses school shootings to promote 2A rights. All these Red-Meat issues that fuel THEIR base, as well.  Knife cuts both ways.

2013-12-31 11:29 AM

User image

Seattle

I believe I would prefer that be the case. And I feel like then it would slowly become less and less of a thing (if they stopped making it one.) But in a lot of cases, as a celebrity, they probably don't have that luxury and it's just one of those things (like twerking, celebrity dog clothing and cellulite) that the media will always sensationalize. And that's a separate issue. 

Does this happen?  I mean, who in the hell asks someone if they are gay or not gay or whatever?  All I can say is that it would never occur to me to ask someone that....because it makes no difference in anything we could possibly be talking about. 

It does. But I think it's more subtle than you are envisioning. It's more like I described above. Someone asks you about your family, or you make a comment about your significant other or whatever and boom you have "come out." 

Shoot, even in the case of Robin Roberts (where this conversation started) I think she only said, ""I am grateful for my entire family, my long time girlfriend, Amber, and friends as we prepare to celebrate a glorious new year together."

That's it. It wasn't some huge thing. The media just made it so.

2013-12-31 11:29 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago

Are you implying that these issues are only `perceived injustices' and that they're not real?
2013-12-31 11:53 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Originally posted by mr2tony

Are you implying that these issues are only `perceived injustices' and that they're not real?

I am saying the even when the injustice is eliminated it will continue to be perpetuated by groups that require the injustice to exist to maintain their relevance/power/flow of money....and so on.

2013-12-31 11:57 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago

I am saying the even when the injustice is eliminated it will continue to be perpetuated by groups that require the injustice to exist to maintain their relevance/power/flow of money....and so on.

But the injustice isn't even close to being eliminated. So the `liberal power' is doing a good thing by bringing these injustices to light, right?

2013-12-31 12:19 PM

User image

But the injustice isn't even close to being eliminated. So the `liberal power' is doing a good thing by bringing these injustices to light, right?

I must have missed something....did Robin Roberts get fired?
2013-12-31 12:23 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro

I believe I would prefer that be the case. And I feel like then it would slowly become less and less of a thing (if they stopped making it one.) But in a lot of cases, as a celebrity, they probably don't have that luxury and it's just one of those things (like twerking, celebrity dog clothing and cellulite) that the media will always sensationalize. And that's a separate issue. 

Does this happen?  I mean, who in the hell asks someone if they are gay or not gay or whatever?  All I can say is that it would never occur to me to ask someone that....because it makes no difference in anything we could possibly be talking about. 

It does. But I think it's more subtle than you are envisioning. It's more like I described above. Someone asks you about your family, or you make a comment about your significant other or whatever and boom you have "come out." 

Shoot, even in the case of Robin Roberts (where this conversation started) I think she only said, ""I am grateful for my entire family, my long time girlfriend, Amber, and friends as we prepare to celebrate a glorious new year together."

I didn't really know how the Roberts thing started, that's interesting.  While I agree that the media takes off running whenever they can to proclaim some celebrity is gay, I don't understand why.....especially since the media is largely liberal based and supposedly a champion for people's rights. (no sarcasm intended)  I get your earlier point about role models. etc, but I just think it's ridiculous to categorize someone based on sexual orientation. Even to say someone is "gay" seems kind of weird to me.

2013-12-31 12:28 PM

User image

Seattle

I didn't really know how the Roberts thing started, that's interesting.  While I agree that the media takes off running whenever they can to proclaim some celebrity is gay, I don't understand why.....especially since the media is largely liberal based and supposedly a champion for people's rights. (no sarcasm intended)  I get your earlier point about role models. etc, but I just think it's ridiculous to categorize someone based on sexual orientation. Even to say someone is "gay" seems kind of weird to me.

Oh right, I totally agree.

I'm just saying that in most cases, I don't think these people are really making a big production of their sexuality. It's just being made a big deal by everyone else.

2013-12-31 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Holy Crap! 

Am I actually on a WINNING side of an argument?! 

Oh, it's gonna be a verrry good year!  I'm gonna try my luck in the Gun Threads!

2013-12-31 12:31 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro

Oh right, I totally agree.

I'm just saying that in most cases, I don't think these people are really making a big production of their sexuality. It's just being made a big deal by everyone else.

Yep, that seems right to me.

2013-12-31 12:54 PM
in reply to: 0

I agree in terms of these issues unfortunately being used by politicians as a 'strategy' against their opponents, but bigotry and prejudice still continues on against these groups, sadly. (more than ''perception'') Sort of a double edged sword. I don't like seeing the issues being insincerely represented or maniupulated for political gain in the political arena, but strides have been made in terms of equal rights that every person should be afforded, regardless of their race, color, sexual orientation, gender, etc. We just have to keep at it, because unfortunately, injustices against these groups still goes on.

Edited by SGirl 2013-12-31 12:56 PM
2013-12-31 1:16 PM

User image

Elite

So just one thing sort of interesting on the topic.... I have a good friend, she is gay, married, and we also happen to work at the same place. Well obviously I know her... but I do not actually know if she is "out" at work. Because stuff like that get's mentioned, but her name has never came up. And she isn't the type to not be "up front" about anything.

So in that setting, I am a little confused. I have wanted to ask her, and we are good friends and that is in no way out of bounds... but then I just keep remembering.. IT DOES NOT MATTER? I mean it just doesn't... certainly not in a work setting.

So we can all say it should not be a big deal... and it does not have to be "big"... but it is a "deal". Anything different than normal is a deal. Righties catch me all the time as a lefty... that certainly is nothing to even talk about... but why is it that 90% of the population can discern a difference in 10% of the population?

The fact is... we are discriminatory by nature. Not in the civil rights sense, but in the true sense of the word. We see short/long hair, fat/skinny, short/tall, teeth, deformities, skin color... all that stuff. And someone having a different sexual orientation is different than the normal population. None of that stuff matters to job performance or character... but we still see it. And I know you being a detective know how to spot things that are different. A part of this is human nature, and a part is a political/social issue. It just is.

2013-12-31 1:42 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro

Originally posted by powerman

So just one thing sort of interesting on the topic.... I have a good friend, she is gay, married, and we also happen to work at the same place. Well obviously I know her... but I do not actually know if she is "out" at work. Because stuff like that get's mentioned, but her name has never came up. And she isn't the type to not be "up front" about anything.

So in that setting, I am a little confused. I have wanted to ask her, and we are good friends and that is in no way out of bounds... but then I just keep remembering.. IT DOES NOT MATTER? I mean it just doesn't... certainly not in a work setting.

So we can all say it should not be a big deal... and it does not have to be "big"... but it is a "deal". Anything different than normal is a deal. Righties catch me all the time as a lefty... that certainly is nothing to even talk about... but why is it that 90% of the population can discern a difference in 10% of the population?

The fact is... we are discriminatory by nature. Not in the civil rights sense, but in the true sense of the word. We see short/long hair, fat/skinny, short/tall, teeth, deformities, skin color... all that stuff. And someone having a different sexual orientation is different than the normal population. None of that stuff matters to job performance or character... but we still see it. And I know you being a detective know how to spot things that are different. A part of this is human nature, and a part is a political/social issue. It just is.

I think that's true, but I also know without a single doubt, that after nearly 30 years I don't judge people on anything but the way they treat other people.  I can't even say when or how it happened, but sometime in the course of dealing with all manner of people, in all manner of situations, I quit caring about people's differences and just began to look at them in relation to how they treated others.  Treat others with respect and we are good to go.... treat others with any less than you expect to be treated and we're going to have problems.  Black, white, straight,gay, fat, skinny, blah,blah,blah.....I don't give a rats arse because we are ALL different in some way.......just treat people with respect.  It's not hard to do.

2013-12-31 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

...just treat people with respect.  It's not hard to do.

Amen.

A worthwhile New Years Resolution for us all.

2013-12-31 2:00 PM

User image

Elite

I think that's true, but I also know without a single doubt, that after nearly 30 years I don't judge people on anything but the way they treat other people.  I can't even say when or how it happened, but sometime in the course of dealing with all manner of people, in all manner of situations, I quit caring about people's differences and just began to look at them in relation to how they treated others.  Treat others with respect and we are good to go.... treat others with any less than you expect to be treated and we're going to have problems.  Black, white, straight,gay, fat, skinny, blah,blah,blah.....I don't give a rats arse because we are ALL different in some way.......just treat people with respect.  It's not hard to do.

100% agree.... that differences should not be the basis of how we treat each other. It's one thing to state the obvious that another person has a different skin color... it is completely different to treat them or judge them badly because of it.

All I'm saying is that we do indeed see differences, and we do talk about them. So it is "natural" to talk about sexual orientation just like it is to talk about any human trait. Even if we treated everyone with respect, it will still be discussed. social changes can happen relatively fast, but erasing tens of thousands of years of nature not so much.

2013-12-31 2:07 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro

100% agree.... that differences should not be the basis of how we treat each other. It's one thing to state the obvious that another person has a different skin color... it is completely different to treat them or judge them badly because of it.

All I'm saying is that we do indeed see differences, and we do talk about them. So it is "natural" to talk about sexual orientation just like it is to talk about any human trait. Even if we treated everyone with respect, it will still be discussed. social changes can happen relatively fast, but erasing tens of thousands of years of nature not so much.

Agreed.  I know I'm glad we're not all the same......what a screwed up life that would be.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Will homosexuals always have to "come out"? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
comments : 0
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout