Other Resources The Political Joe » Doctor asking if we own firearms Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-02 5:04 PM

User image

, Oregon
Subject: Doctor asking if we own firearms
So awhile back I took one of my kids to the doctor for a well check. The doctor went through a checklist of questions about my child's health one of those questions was if we had any firearms in the home. The question caught me off guard I answered that I did own firearms then she asked how they were stored and if we kept them locked up. I responded that we kept them locked. I then go a anti-gun flyer given to me.

I am normally not the one who takes my kids to the doctor usually my wife does. So I later discussed with my wife if this was a normal question she said it had been at this doctor's office (we recently moved to a new town and got a new doctor). We have decided that is really none of the doc's business if we own firearms so my answer will now be no.

My questions are
If you own guns what would your answer be?

Why are doctors asking about firearms?

Is this a new thing or is it just this office?

Maybe it is a State of Oregon thing?

overall just curious how you all see this.

2014-01-02 5:12 PM
in reply to: idahocraig

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Doctor asking if we own firearms

The correct answer is nunya damn business.

Wait for it....

Thanks Obama!

2014-01-02 5:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I'd go to another doctor. I wouldn't say much of anything for the rest of the visit and get done what you went there to do.
The next time I needed a doctor, I would call that one and tell them I don't appreciate them allowing politics to interfere with what should be medical assistance.

Did Doc ask about household cleaners? Swimming pools? Whether you kept the bathtub covered? If not, it's politics, not proactive doctoring.

Get enough people to start switching and they quit asking. More than one place this has happened to the point that some doctors have actually moved to a more gun control accepting area.

It's sad they use medicine to push politics.

(edit) and I just say no, I don't own any, whether or not I'm carrying one at the time.

Edited by DanielG 2014-01-02 5:21 PM
2014-01-02 5:31 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

In general, I try not to compare guns to other things that can hurt/kill you.  That argument gets misused by both side in most cases IMO.

HOWEVER, if this doctor is truly trying to do a risk assessment of a household and doesn't ask if you have household cleaners and how they are controlled/locked up, then as Daniel said, it's political.  More kids die of poisoning or drowning in pools than gunshots...

I guess if they asked about EVERYTHING that could be a hazard (Do you have a trampoline?  Are they latch key kids?  Are their siblings bullies?  Second hand smoke?  Do you drive over the speed limit when kids are in the car?  etc) then maybe it's just another question, but I doubt that...

Honestly, I would just answer "no" and let it go if you like the doctor enough to stay.

Edited by Kido 2014-01-02 5:31 PM
2014-01-02 6:07 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro

"At home?  Hey doc, I've got one right here!" 

2014-01-02 6:19 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by Left Brain

Bawaahahha!  

Our doctor asks if our kids wear bike helmets.  

Presence of guns is a "legitimate" health/safety concern.  Proper storage is too.  I want a doctor who is thorough and concerned.

But they can stick that flyer where the sun don't shine.   You can be thorough and concerned without being preachy.

2014-01-02 6:24 PM

User image

No backup?

2014-01-02 10:39 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by moondawg14

Bawaahahha!  

Presence of guns is a "legitimate" health/safety concern.  Proper storage is too.  I want a doctor who is thorough and concerned.

But they can stick that flyer where the sun don't shine.   You can be thorough and concerned without being preachy.

I'm not sure what a medical professional has to do with there being guns in the home.  Also I'm not sure what a doctor has to do with how they're stored either.  I guess I just don't get the connection.

Yes, storing guns properly when children are in the home is a huge safety concern, it just seems to me like a doctor asking about it is like my plumber asking me how often my wife and I make "pizza".

2014-01-02 10:44 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by moondawg14

Bawaahahha!  

I'm not sure what a medical professional has to do with there being guns in the home.  Also I'm not sure what a doctor has to do with how they're stored either.  I guess I just don't get the connection.

Yes, storing guns properly when children are in the home is a huge safety concern, it just seems to me like a doctor asking about it is like my plumber asking me how often my wife and I make "pizza".

Well, depending on how backed up your pipes are...........

2014-01-03 6:43 AM

New user
If you were at a pediatrician that explains the questions. The AAP is anti gun period, it has nothing to do with the safety of your child. Just take a look at their gun violence prevention policy statement.

http://www.aap.org/en-us/advocacy-and-policy/federal-advocacy/Docum...

As far as the answer to the question, just get up and walk out.

Edited by NXS 2014-01-03 6:45 AM
2014-01-03 7:04 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Originally posted by tuwood

I'll give 'em this. Yes, there is a kiddo safety issue with firearms. It extends exactly as far as the clorox under your sink, etc.

If doc wants to have a spiel about "keep your cleaning supplies out of kids reach, locked up preferred. Keep firearms locked up or on your body when children are in the house, keep pools covered if you're not using them..." I have not a single problem with that. Read/recite the safety comments, no problem.

But there is no reason on Earth doc needs an honest answer to "Do you own firearms?" None. None of Doc's business.

2014-01-03 8:23 AM

On the one hand, I understand the doc's question, because the main motive (let's hope) is to ensure safety of children. But, I guess I'm wondering 'who' else gains access to this type of information? Is this another way for 'big brother' to watch over everyone? (I don't own a gun , but just throwing that thought out there.) I don't know.
2014-01-03 8:35 AM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

Originally posted by SGirl

On the one hand, I understand the doc's question, because the main motive (let's hope) is to ensure safety of children. But, I guess I'm wondering 'who' else gains access to this type of information? Is this another way for 'big brother' to watch over everyone? (I don't own a gun , but just throwing that thought out there.) I don't know.

Very valid question.

And then all the docs who are taking federal money (medicare/medicade, etc) suddenly get a "just numbers, how many of your patients own fierarms" Just for statistics, of course. Later someone decides then want to know who.

Just like all this horsehockey about registration, if it never happens, then it can never be misused.

2014-01-03 10:45 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

If you are upset about something with your doc, you might think about posting it to a "review" web site. 

http://www.healthgrades.com/  and http://www.ratemds.com seem to be the big ones in the medical community (ratemd lets users leave open-ended comments - VERY interesting). No clue if something like this moves the needle at all, but I have read up on potential providers here before and posted one about my current physician. 

2014-01-03 12:59 PM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

, Oregon
Originally posted by SGirl

That was one of my thoughts who else does this information go to. It does not seem that far fetched that it could very easily end up going to the government. Especially with the ACA and the government getting even more involved with health care.
2014-01-03 1:02 PM

User image

, Oregon

Best answer yet. You win for some reason I knew Left Brain would know exactly how to handle the situation.

2014-01-03 9:20 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Wait for it....

Thanks Obama!

Not sure why you think this has anything to do with Obama.
I was asked this when my boys were small in Missouri in the early 90s.
2014-01-03 10:42 PM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

Pro

Originally posted by KeriKadi

Wait for it....

Thanks Obama!

Not sure why you think this has anything to do with Obama. I was asked this when my boys were small in Missouri in the early 90s.

I remember when I was a boy in the early 70's in Missouri and the doctor asked us if we had killed a deer yet.

2014-01-04 4:38 AM

Refused to answer.

Another question I was asked at my last physical was wether I was sexually active or not. I reluctanly answered because I thought it was somewhat relevant. Then her follow-up question was if my sex partner was male or female. I replied, "Hell, I don't even tell my wife that, why would i tell you?"

After her laughter died down, she asked me again. I asked her who she was sleeping with. She moved on to the next question.
2014-01-04 8:25 PM

User image

Elite

Wait for it....

Thanks Obama!

Not sure why you think this has anything to do with Obama.
I was asked this when my boys were small in Missouri in the early 90s.

Sooo what you're saying is that Obama was already plotting this government health takeover in the early '90's. I knew it!

2014-01-04 8:36 PM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by idahocraig

So awhile back I took one of my kids to the doctor for a well check. The doctor went through a checklist of questions about my child's health one of those questions was if we had any firearms in the home. The question caught me off guard I answered that I did own firearms then she asked how they were stored and if we kept them locked up. I responded that we kept them locked. I then go a anti-gun flyer given to me.

I am normally not the one who takes my kids to the doctor usually my wife does. So I later discussed with my wife if this was a normal question she said it had been at this doctor's office (we recently moved to a new town and got a new doctor). We have decided that is really none of the doc's business if we own firearms so my answer will now be no.

My questions are
If you own guns what would your answer be?

Why are doctors asking about firearms?

Is this a new thing or is it just this office?

Maybe it is a State of Oregon thing?

overall just curious how you all see this.

You stated you got "an anti-gun flyer" given to you. Did the flyer seriously tell you to turn in your guns? Or, did it emphasize safety and provide stats on the number of children out there killed or maimed by firearms? If it's the former, that's wrong. If it was the latter, why the worry?

2014-01-05 12:29 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well when I was in the hospital I was asked if I ever smoked cigarettes. Which I did like 12 year ago casually. I got a quit smoking guide in my packet of info they handed me. I was never asked about guns though. Just my smoking and drinking habits.
2014-01-05 10:06 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Elite

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy
Originally posted by idahocraig So awhile back I took one of my kids to the doctor for a well check. The doctor went through a checklist of questions about my child's health one of those questions was if we had any firearms in the home. The question caught me off guard I answered that I did own firearms then she asked how they were stored and if we kept them locked up. I responded that we kept them locked. I then go a anti-gun flyer given to me. I am normally not the one who takes my kids to the doctor usually my wife does. So I later discussed with my wife if this was a normal question she said it had been at this doctor's office (we recently moved to a new town and got a new doctor). We have decided that is really none of the doc's business if we own firearms so my answer will now be no. My questions are If you own guns what would your answer be? Why are doctors asking about firearms? Is this a new thing or is it just this office? Maybe it is a State of Oregon thing? overall just curious how you all see this.
You stated you got "an anti-gun flyer" given to you. Did the flyer seriously tell you to turn in your guns? Or, did it emphasize safety and provide stats on the number of children out there killed or maimed by firearms? If it's the former, that's wrong. If it was the latter, why the worry?

My only question would be was a flyer also handed out on the dangers of house hold poisoning that outpace firearms injuries 1000 to 1. Was the question asked if they had a pool or a body of water... since drownings are more by hundreds to one. 

If indeed it was a thorough assessment of dangers to kids... then fine. But that list would be very long, and firearms would be at the very bottom.

2014-01-05 6:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Ha! I had this question at our new Dr's office a couple years ago. However, it was worded this way:

Are they're any guns in the home?

My answer: Whose guns?

Never heard anything back. If it hadn't been grammatically incorrect, I would have just left it blank.
2014-01-06 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Wait for it....

Thanks Obama!

Not sure why you think this has anything to do with Obama. I was asked this when my boys were small in Missouri in the early 90s.

Lol... come now, how many smiley faces do I have to use?

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Doctor asking if we own firearms Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

CA "Gun Control" Bill basically bans all firearms

Started by bcart1991
Views: 2151 Posts: 6

2013-06-03 10:30 PM SevenZulu

South Portland doctor stops accepting insurance, posts prices online

Started by DanielG
Views: 2269 Posts: 16

2013-06-17 10:13 AM mehaner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 13, 2011
author : DaveScott
comments : 0
Dave Scott, six-time Hawaii Ironman world champion, shares his insights and plenty of stories to help you define your own success.

date : January 17, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
Can running worsen spinal stenosis? Is it possible to compete in triathlons with this condition?
date : January 15, 2008
author : EndurancePlanet
With high cholesterol and about 35lbs to lose, Tim heeded his doctors orders and began to transform his life.

date : June 11, 2007
author : mike hall
comments : 4
I finally bit the bullet and asked my doctor if there could be another reason to my lack of success in weight management. I did not like his answer.
date : April 9, 2007
comments : 1
I realized my 50 mile/week running career was over. Now what? I was only 30 years old. I did what I could to stay active – switched to biking and swimming.

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : January 29, 2006
comments : 1
My doctor says 140bpm HR is my max, but that feels like a walk in the park... I don't know what to do, how to train, and my motivation is waning. Any suggestions?

date : October 30, 2005
How do I find a GP/family doctor that also understands swimming/running/biking