Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Flying with a bike in China/Asia Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-27 9:47 PM

Subject: Flying with a bike in China/Asia
Hey all. I'm new here to Beginner Tri. I live in Yunnan and am training for my first tri - the Oly in Chengdu on May 12.
Does anyone have experience flying with a bike in these parts?

2014-02-01 7:03 AM
in reply to: murdock

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Flying with a bike in China/Asia
Not in China but often within Vietnam and to/from Vietnam and Singapore. It's usually no biggie. On some airlines (i.e. Vietnam) the bike can usually fly free if it's within the 20 kg limit (if it's in a box or lightweight bag). I ship it in a packing box, but some people use special cases and pay extra. Most of the budget airlines charge a set fee which should be on their website. If dealing with a Chinese airline, I'd let them know at the time you book the ticket that you are checking a bike--During some of the year on some routes, VN Airlines requires you to book bike transport in advance. At other times, it's been okay just to show up with the bike in its box.

Be prepared for a little cluelessness--on a few occasions I've been asked to open the box when checking in to prove that it's a bike (??), that the pedal wrench isn't a weapon, and/or that the tires have been deflated. Bring material to re-seal the box in that event, if you're using a box. I've also had situations where the "bikes fly free" policy held one direction and not the other on the same airline, or even for one person in one check-in lane and not the other, for no clear reason. It may well depend on the whim (or greed) of the clerk checking you in. Arrive with plenty of time and bring some extra cash just in case. Chinese take all manner of things on planes (I've been behind a full-size fridge at check-in) so it will probably not be an insurmountable problem in any case.

Where in Yunnan are you? I lived in Beijing for about a decade and Yunnan was kind of a second home. What's it like training there?
2014-02-02 11:35 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Subject: RE: Flying with a bike in China/Asia
Thanks for the reply! Good call on seeing all kinds of random stuff being taken on flights. So true! Surely, then, a bike won't be that odd (or expensive!). I'll call the airline before to confirm, but I reckon I'll just plan on having it boxed up here at my LBS and taking it with me that way.

I live down south of Kunming a few hours, in HongHe. Training is alright. The weather is great; there's a nice outdoor pool not too far from my house that's 20Y per use.
I've got some buddies that live in Chengdu; I'm going up there in May for the ITU series Oly. It's my first ever tri. Might also go up to Beijing in Sept for the Oly up there.

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Not in China but often within Vietnam and to/from Vietnam and Singapore. It's usually no biggie. On some airlines (i.e. Vietnam) the bike can usually fly free if it's within the 20 kg limit (if it's in a box or lightweight bag). I ship it in a packing box, but some people use special cases and pay extra. Most of the budget airlines charge a set fee which should be on their website. If dealing with a Chinese airline, I'd let them know at the time you book the ticket that you are checking a bike--During some of the year on some routes, VN Airlines requires you to book bike transport in advance. At other times, it's been okay just to show up with the bike in its box.

Be prepared for a little cluelessness--on a few occasions I've been asked to open the box when checking in to prove that it's a bike (??), that the pedal wrench isn't a weapon, and/or that the tires have been deflated. Bring material to re-seal the box in that event, if you're using a box. I've also had situations where the "bikes fly free" policy held one direction and not the other on the same airline, or even for one person in one check-in lane and not the other, for no clear reason. It may well depend on the whim (or greed) of the clerk checking you in. Arrive with plenty of time and bring some extra cash just in case. Chinese take all manner of things on planes (I've been behind a full-size fridge at check-in) so it will probably not be an insurmountable problem in any case.

Where in Yunnan are you? I lived in Beijing for about a decade and Yunnan was kind of a second home. What's it like training there?
New Thread
Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Flying with a bike in China/Asia Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Spring swim and tri events in SE Asia

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 941 Posts: 5

2011-12-16 1:31 AM Hot Runner

newfound respect for runners in SE Asia.

Started by mgalanter
Views: 739 Posts: 2

2011-10-11 6:32 AM Hot Runner

IM China - New Date

Started by swiss tri
Views: 645 Posts: 1

2011-01-06 5:27 AM swiss tri

Happy New Year SE Asia

Started by papson14
Views: 836 Posts: 2

2010-12-31 2:08 PM TriAya

Singapore OSIM; other Spring Tris in SE Asia

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 2593 Posts: 12

2010-12-10 4:20 AM Hot Runner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 11, 2012
author : VeloPress
comments : 0
Craig Alexander's New Book As the Crow Flies Tells the Inside Story of His Championship Season

date : July 16, 2012
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Homestays vs hotels, eating and flying with your bike.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
Incline Chest Fly- Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
Chest Fly - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.