Other Resources The Political Joe » Feds seek death penalty for Boston Bomber Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-02-01 8:52 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Feds seek death penalty for Boston Bomber

Originally posted by powerman

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by mchughmtsinai This animal deserves much worse than the sleepy time needle he will get in my opinion. Can't even imagine how much it took for the BPD to not take him out when he was hiding like the coward he is in that boat.

But....they didn't.....so he spends his life in prison away from society.  What do we gain, as a civil society, by killing him? 

I maintain that we gain nothing, but stand to lose our humanity.  To me it's not worth risking over the likes of him......especially when we have the means to make him suffer a fate much worse than death.

That though is my opinion of the DP. Everyone wants to punish mame, torture... WTF... that is ridiculous. You want to punish what he did by being some sadistic nut job?

But the DP... to me, borders on cruel and unusual.... to stare at the clock and know the second you are going to die... to take your last walk and meal.... I just find that torture... nobody else ever dies in that manner. Even victims didn't know it was coming till it was there. 

And I can not even begin to fathom the insanity inflicted on a innocent person that was put to death by the state. It has happened, and for that reason alone... I'm against it.

If there is to be a DP.... then it needs to be the most heinous of crimes where people are actually caught doing it... that there is actually nothing to prove... this guy did it. The Aurora shooter did it. Sandy Hook... when it isn't a question. 

It has been my experience as I worked through the feelings I had after my friends were murdered that there really is nothing to punish.....because there is no fitting punishment for murder....no matter what you do, loving fathers, mothers, sons, and daughters are gone at the hands of completely senseless violence.....how exactly does one get punished for that?  I never think about the people who murdered my friends......they don't exist to me on any plane.  I don't spend a minute wondering if they have been punished, or what the punishment might be.....it is enough to know they are no longer a part of society, and  they are gone from my thoughts.  It's funny in a way, because two of the three murderers I knew well, and had dealt with them in many circumstances, but I can barely remember what they looked like, even as I sit here and try....but I can recall my friends vividly and wonderful memories of times with them are easily called up in my mind.

My comments regarding the horrible fate that life in prison brings is only to offer those who are for the death penalty the idea that there are worse things than death if retribution is your goal...... but I'd be careful with that.....I have friends who are filled with hatred over the murders of our friends and coworkers....it has not served them well.

2014-02-01 10:30 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite

Originally posted by mchughmtsinai This animal deserves much worse than the sleepy time needle he will get in my opinion. Can't even imagine how much it took for the BPD to not take him out when he was hiding like the coward he is in that boat.

But....they didn't.....so he spends his life in prison away from society.  What do we gain, as a civil society, by killing him? 

I maintain that we gain nothing, but stand to lose our humanity.  To me it's not worth risking over the likes of him......especially when we have the means to make him suffer a fate much worse than death.

That though is my opinion of the DP. Everyone wants to punish mame, torture... WTF... that is ridiculous. You want to punish what he did by being some sadistic nut job?

But the DP... to me, borders on cruel and unusual.... to stare at the clock and know the second you are going to die... to take your last walk and meal.... I just find that torture... nobody else ever dies in that manner. Even victims didn't know it was coming till it was there. 

And I can not even begin to fathom the insanity inflicted on a innocent person that was put to death by the state. It has happened, and for that reason alone... I'm against it.

If there is to be a DP.... then it needs to be the most heinous of crimes where people are actually caught doing it... that there is actually nothing to prove... this guy did it. The Aurora shooter did it. Sandy Hook... when it isn't a question. 

It has been my experience as I worked through the feelings I had after my friends were murdered that there really is nothing to punish.....because there is no fitting punishment for murder....no matter what you do, loving fathers, mothers, sons, and daughters are gone at the hands of completely senseless violence.....how exactly does one get punished for that?  I never think about the people who murdered my friends......they don't exist to me on any plane.  I don't spend a minute wondering if they have been punished, or what the punishment might be.....it is enough to know they are no longer a part of society, and  they are gone from my thoughts.  It's funny in a way, because two of the three murderers I knew well, and had dealt with them in many circumstances, but I can barely remember what they looked like, even as I sit here and try....but I can recall my friends vividly and wonderful memories of times with them are easily called up in my mind.

My comments regarding the horrible fate that life in prison brings is only to offer those who are for the death penalty the idea that there are worse things than death if retribution is your goal...... but I'd be careful with that.....I have friends who are filled with hatred over the murders of our friends and coworkers....it has not served them well.

It's just a fact... forgiveness has nothing to do with the other person. I get hate and anger. Who doesn't? But the death penalty is not a punishment once they are dead, and it isn't a deterrent to those that don't care about life.

2014-02-01 10:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Woops

Edited by powerman 2014-02-01 10:31 AM
2014-02-01 11:00 AM

User image

Pro

It's just a fact... forgiveness has nothing to do with the other person. I get hate and anger. Who doesn't? But the death penalty is not a punishment once they are dead, and it isn't a deterrent to those that don't care about life.

It's certainly not a deterrent for terrorists. I don't want to go off on a religious tangent, but if you are indoctrinated to believe that death provides a reward greater than life, how can you counter that by killing someone?

2014-02-01 2:40 PM

This ^^ Excellent post!
2014-02-03 8:17 AM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

Regular
Madrid
There hasn't been much said from the pro DP side of things yet. I'm not sure there really is a pro DP as much its better than the alternative. Fortunately I have not been a part of anything so terrible so can only approach it from a 'what if' perspective. In the most extreme cases- genocide, mass murder, and some premeditated cases I am ok with the DP. I know nothing brings those lost back. That said the thought of some bringer of death sitting in prison for the rest of their life, most likely isolated from the general prison population for their own 'safety' isn't enough for me. The thought of that person most likely satisfied with their achievement or their cause and reliving it would turn my stomach until the end of my own days. For me from a what if perspective and maybe many others unfortunate enough to be in this situation for real I see the DP as closure, justice done, and good riddance.

2014-02-03 8:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gr33n There hasn't been much said from the pro DP side of things yet. I'm not sure there really is a pro DP as much its better than the alternative. Fortunately I have not been a part of anything so terrible so can only approach it from a 'what if' perspective. In the most extreme cases- genocide, mass murder, and some premeditated cases I am ok with the DP. I know nothing brings those lost back. That said the thought of some bringer of death sitting in prison for the rest of their life, most likely isolated from the general prison population for their own 'safety' isn't enough for me. The thought of that person most likely satisfied with their achievement or their cause and reliving it would turn my stomach until the end of my own days. For me from a what if perspective and maybe many others unfortunate enough to be in this situation for real I see the DP as closure, justice done, and good riddance. [/QUOT

Again, from my own experiences, there is never closure.  I got to a point where I accepted that bad things happen in life, but there is no closure for me in any of the 3 instances I was involved in.  A good person, father, mother, husband, wife, and productive member of society was killed by a piece of human garbage.....there is no way to ever make that right, to ever have closure on something that senseless.  I believe that human life should only be taken in defense of either one's self or others.  If I stay true to what I believe then I can at least walk away from the idea of killing someone as a means of "justice".....because as I said before, there is no justice in these cases, and there never will be.

As far as what they may be thinking as they sit in prison, away from the rest of us, who cares?  That's the only way to truly move on from what I've seen.

ETA - I have no problem with people who are proponents of the death penalty.  I get it.  It's just not something that would have helped me move forward.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-02-03 8:52 AM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Feds seek death penalty for Boston Bomber Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Verizon giving millions of U.S. phone records to feds Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by DanielG
Views: 9327 Posts: 138

2013-06-24 6:38 AM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : September 9, 2009
author : runrgrl2007
comments : 7
One slight problem. I don't know how to swim at all. When I say 'at all', I don't even dog paddle because I am scared to death of water. But I am going to do this.
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : October 20, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 9
Twenty of the total 25 deaths associated with triathlons as recorded by USA Triathlon occurred during the swim portion of the events. So, what’s the deal with swimming?
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you are going to do a triathlon, you need to know at least some of the basic rules that can keep you from getting hurt or hurting someone else.