Other Resources The Political Joe » Feds seek death penalty for Boston Bomber Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-30 3:49 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: Feds seek death penalty for Boston Bomber

In general, I am against the death penalty. However, in this case, I feel it is justified. Thoughts?

2014-01-30 4:02 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Feds seek death penalty for Boston Bomber

Nope......I can't get behind killing someone who is in custody and no longer a threat to society.

2014-01-30 4:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

The public should be notified of his pending release. 

This will take place in the back lot of a Sporting Goods store which happens to be having a closeout sale on bats.

Edited by jeffnboise 2014-01-30 4:10 PM
2014-01-30 4:18 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

In general I am for the Death Penalty.  I only wish there was less time spent on appeals.  I really hate paying for trash like that to live in jail.

2014-01-30 5:54 PM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Elite

I don't care either way.... I personally disagree with the State imposed death penalty (more over how it is used)... but I do not loose any sleep over it existing. If you do not want to be put to death by the State... don't do capital crimes. It's not complicated.

2014-01-30 6:03 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Left Brain

Nope......I can't get behind killing someone who is in custody and no longer a threat to society.

That's about how I feel.

2014-01-31 12:24 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
Madrid
Isn't it also suppoosed to be a little bit about punishment ?
2014-01-31 3:27 AM

User image

I'm for the death penalty for handicapped parking violations and it gets worse from there.

I have not one problem with retribution being part of the system for especially heinous crimes.

2014-01-31 7:52 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs
If the time from trial to execution were relatively quick, then I would support it. It could be more of a deterant to crime with crimes fresher on people's minds and save tax payer money. The way it currently is though, I am against and it. Let him rot in prison for the next 50+ years.
2014-01-31 7:55 AM
in reply to: 0

I’m against the DP…to be ‘for’ it in ‘certain’ cases…does that boil down to then, that certain lives or catastrophes hold greater weight than others? Everyone’s life has equal value.

To me …there’s no grey area. You’re either for or against the DP. Executing the Boston bomber doesn’t bring back the lives he took, nor does the DP really serve as a deterrent for society to stop committing future crimes. Not that I’d be for it if that were the case, but…the DP to me is a not helping society.

Eye for an eye will make the whole world blind. ~ Gandhi

Edited by SGirl 2014-01-31 7:56 AM
2014-01-31 8:11 AM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by SGirl I’m against the DP…to be ‘for’ it in ‘certain’ cases…does that boil down to then, that certain lives or catastrophes hold greater weight than others? Everyone’s life has equal value. To me …there’s no grey area. You’re either for or against the DP. Executing the Boston bomber doesn’t bring back the lives he took, nor does the DP really serve as a deterrent for society to stop committing future crimes. Not that I’d be for it if that were the case, but…the DP to me is a not helping society. Eye for an eye will make the whole world blind. ~ Gandhi

It depends upon why you are against the death penalty.  Some are against it because of the possibility of executing an innocent person as opposed to against it as a form of punishment.

2014-01-31 8:59 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

Originally posted by Hook'em

Originally posted by SGirl I’m against the DP…to be ‘for’ it in ‘certain’ cases…does that boil down to then, that certain lives or catastrophes hold greater weight than others? Everyone’s life has equal value. To me …there’s no grey area. You’re either for or against the DP. Executing the Boston bomber doesn’t bring back the lives he took, nor does the DP really serve as a deterrent for society to stop committing future crimes. Not that I’d be for it if that were the case, but…the DP to me is a not helping society. Eye for an eye will make the whole world blind. ~ Gandhi

It depends upon why you are against the death penalty.  Some are against it because of the possibility of executing an innocent person as opposed to against it as a form of punishment.

I'm against the DP because I don't believe that anyone has the right to take a life of another. I'm not a religious person so I just speak from a purely humanitarian standpoint. I've often found the DP to be ironic...it is the taking of someone's life to punish them for taking someone's life.
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense and I don't like the cherry picking the justice system seems to have in who deserves it and who doesn't. Again, are some lives more valuable than others? Just my POV.
2014-01-31 9:27 AM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I used to be for it but since they found a number innocent people on death row, and most tend to have public defenders so I am against it.

I will admit because of how horrible the crime is at least to me being an avid marathoner I not sure how I feel about the DP
2014-01-31 9:31 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Let him live , but Mandatory Organ Donation for every life he took and every handicapped fan and runner.
2014-01-31 9:50 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

In general, I am against the death penalty. However, in this case, I feel it is justified. Thoughts?

I would be interested to hear why you are generally against it but are okay with it in this case. Seems most arguments I have heard are one way or the other, no grey, would be interested in your take on it.

I don't have a problem with the death penalty. Wish it didn't take so much time and waste so much money.

2014-01-31 10:05 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro

I'm against it because I'm only for killing human beings in defense of others. (something I could do easily by the way)  If a killer is behind bars then he/she is no threat and no human being has the right to take that life.

I've had to think about this a lot.  My partner was murdered, his lkiller got life.  Six of my co-workers were murdered by a deranged gunman, their killer was shot and killed on scene.  A shift mate supervisor with me was mrudered, his killer is on death row.  These were people I saw every day, most had been to my home for dinner or gatherings/parties.   I didn't come by my feelings for the death penalty lightly....but in the end I can't justify it in my mind and heart.

2014-01-31 10:10 AM

User image

Pro

You took me by surprise with your reply. Damn you for making me think.

I was kind of worked up when I saw that they had decided to seek the death penalty. It was a pretty bad day for me, being in the finishers chute when the bombs went off. Don't really want to relive any of that. My immediate response was all anger and retribution. A day later, I am reconsidering. Not really sure where I stand anymore. Killing him doesn't change what happened, and he's never going to see freedom again.

2014-01-31 10:19 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid

I'm against it because I'm only for killing human beings in defense of others. (something I could do easily by the way)  If a killer is behind bars then he/she is no threat and no human being has the right to take that life.

I've had to think about this a lot.  My partner was murdered, his lkiller got life.  Six of my co-workers were murdered by a deranged gunman, their killer was shot and killed on scene.  A shift mate supervisor with me was mrudered, his killer is on death row.  These were people I saw every day, most had been to my home for dinner or gatherings/parties.   I didn't come by my feelings for the death penalty lightly....but in the end I can't justify it in my mind and heart.

Sorry about the back story. Thats pretty tough stuff.

Sorry but I have to ask regarding the first part. If I understand the logic its ok to kill someone while they're trying to kill someone else even if they may not succeed, but you're against killing them after the fact if they've been successful ?
2014-01-31 10:47 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gr33n

Sorry about the back story. Thats pretty tough stuff. Sorry but I have to ask regarding the first part. If I understand the logic its ok to kill someone while they're trying to kill someone else even if they may not succeed, but you're against killing them after the fact if they've been successful ?

I don't try to complicate it.  If someone is not a threat to anyone then we have no right to kill them IMO.   If someone is trying to kill another person then I have no problem defending that victim or myself. 

2014-01-31 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I don't support the death penalty. Life without parole is cheaper and just as effective in keeping society safe, and not permanent if a mistake in justice has been made.
2014-01-31 2:22 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I'm for it philosophically, meaning I'm ok with a society deciding that the appropriate penalty for certain crimes is death at the hands of "the people". But, since it's impossible to mete it out 100% fairly or impartially, or to completely eliminate the chance of an innocent person's execution, I can't support it in practice.

2014-01-31 10:05 PM
in reply to: #4941508

This animal deserves much worse than the sleepy time needle he will get in my opinion. Can't even imagine how much it took for the BPD to not take him out when he was hiding like the coward he is in that boat.
2014-01-31 11:07 PM
in reply to: mchughmtsinai

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mchughmtsinai This animal deserves much worse than the sleepy time needle he will get in my opinion. Can't even imagine how much it took for the BPD to not take him out when he was hiding like the coward he is in that boat.

But....they didn't.....so he spends his life in prison away from society.  What do we gain, as a civil society, by killing him? 

I maintain that we gain nothing, but stand to lose our humanity.  To me it's not worth risking over the likes of him......especially when we have the means to make him suffer a fate much worse than death.

2014-01-31 11:49 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Elite

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn I'm for it philosophically, meaning I'm ok with a society deciding that the appropriate penalty for certain crimes is death at the hands of "the people". But, since it's impossible to mete it out 100% fairly or impartially, or to completely eliminate the chance of an innocent person's execution, I can't support it in practice.

Pretty much the same for me.

2014-01-31 11:56 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by mchughmtsinai This animal deserves much worse than the sleepy time needle he will get in my opinion. Can't even imagine how much it took for the BPD to not take him out when he was hiding like the coward he is in that boat.

But....they didn't.....so he spends his life in prison away from society.  What do we gain, as a civil society, by killing him? 

I maintain that we gain nothing, but stand to lose our humanity.  To me it's not worth risking over the likes of him......especially when we have the means to make him suffer a fate much worse than death.

That though is my opinion of the DP. Everyone wants to punish mame, torture... WTF... that is ridiculous. You want to punish what he did by being some sadistic nut job?

But the DP... to me, borders on cruel and unusual.... to stare at the clock and know the second you are going to die... to take your last walk and meal.... I just find that torture... nobody else ever dies in that manner. Even victims didn't know it was coming till it was there. 

And I can not even begin to fathom the insanity inflicted on a innocent person that was put to death by the state. It has happened, and for that reason alone... I'm against it.

If there is to be a DP.... then it needs to be the most heinous of crimes where people are actually caught doing it... that there is actually nothing to prove... this guy did it. The Aurora shooter did it. Sandy Hook... when it isn't a question. 

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Feds seek death penalty for Boston Bomber Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Verizon giving millions of U.S. phone records to feds Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by DanielG
Views: 9327 Posts: 138

2013-06-24 6:38 AM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : September 9, 2009
author : runrgrl2007
comments : 7
One slight problem. I don't know how to swim at all. When I say 'at all', I don't even dog paddle because I am scared to death of water. But I am going to do this.
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : October 20, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 9
Twenty of the total 25 deaths associated with triathlons as recorded by USA Triathlon occurred during the swim portion of the events. So, what’s the deal with swimming?
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you are going to do a triathlon, you need to know at least some of the basic rules that can keep you from getting hurt or hurting someone else.