United States
Komen Breast Cancer
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 39s
Overall Rank = 1037/2606
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 124/263
Pre-race routine:

This was my first time to do a triathlon - all three events - by myself. The two relays I've done before kind of prepared me - but this would be my first FULL sprint triathon...and for this 43 year old mother of five who struggles with myasthenia gravis - it was going to be a great adventure.

Couldn't sleep last night - woke up just about every hour to stare at the clock. I didn't feel nervous - but I think the excitement of the race - and everything else that went on this week (starting a new middle school teaching job) kept my mind active - and unable to sleep. So finally at 4:00am, I got up and ate a bowl of cereal and had a cup of tea. Putzed around the house a bit, trying not to make too much noise - until it was time to load up the truck and head out. I left the house a little after 5:00am. It was only about a fifteen minute ride to Cherry Creek High school, so I got there early enough to get a good parking spot, and walk my bike down the hill in time to almost get the end spot on the rack. I was in wave 8 - so we were kind of stuck in the middle/to the front of all the 3400 spots. Not really a bad spot - but not good either. Took some time to set up my junk and meet the ladies who were racked next to me.
Event warmup:

No 'real' warmup, but I walked down to look at the swim/bike start and finish, and to plan my path back to transition...oh...and then of course getting into the wetsuit - that is a workout in and of itself. The water temp was supposed to be around 76 degrees, so I pondered whether to even bother with the neophrene monster - but decided (based on my past experience in open water), that I wanted the life saving properties of the suit. Went to the porta potties, and headed down for the swim start. It was so inspiring to see the breast cancer survivor ladies take off into the water....and when the elites came out of the water - WOW!!
Swim
  • 18m 49s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ok...I'm NOT a strong swimmer so I didn't know what to expect for this tri. I had put in some time at another rezevoir, and was pretty confident I wouldn't freak out - but you just never know. Luckily, this swim went soooo much better than the swim I did in the relay in June. I didn't freak out at all - swam most of it freestyle - and didn't every turnover to float on my back. It wasn't without event though. The mass start was brutal - lots of thrashing about - lots of people doing breastroke around me so it was hard to get some clean water to swim in. I got hit several times - twice to the googles. The first time - a little water got in..but the goggles resealed and I was ok...the second time, they were smacked a little harder and water quickly filled them up. I had to stop and empty the water out, stick them back on my face and go. This caused an issue later after rounding the second buoy when they fogged up horribly - causing me to stop again. But overall - it wasn't too bad. I felt real calm in the water, found a good rythym and thought - hey - maybe I could find someone to draft off of. No such luck. I was encouraged when I started to pass swim cap colors from earlier waves. Didn't expect that at all. My sighting however - BITES. I got off course pretty far - and was redirected by a kyacker (sp). Probably added some considerable yardage to my swim - but I really didn't care. It felt good to be out there. I swam as far as I could up the boat ramp, found my feet, and ran up the ramp to transition. Quite a few were walking up the ramp, so it kind of felt good to be passing people :-) And the crowd support up the ramp was AWESOME. I love this culture.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to sight better - and position myself so I can find someone to draft off.
Transition 1
  • 04m 18s
Comments:

I told myself before this started, that I was going to use the transition time to regroup - and I did. As I ran up the boat ramp, I got my wetsuit pulled down to my waist and struggled a bit getting my swim cap off (In fact I passed the photographer while trying to rip it off my hair - that ought to be a good photo. Didn't have any trouble getting the wetsuit off from around my ankles - just used the ole step and pull method. Snapped my helmet on - got my socks and bike shoes on and was off to the bike start. I was glad that I had pre-rolled my socks as it made it really easy to just unroll them onto my feet. I have NO desire to learn how to ride without socks - I just need that extra comfort. We weren't supposed to run with our bikes in transition - so I walked as quickly as I could to the bike start - my transition spot wasn't real close - so it was a little bit of a walk - crossed the cones - did the ever so gracefull swing the leg over - and headed on out to the bike course.

Smile for the photographer and pull the swim cap off later??? Otherwise - I didn't really have any hangups. I'm not fast - but that's ok with me...I have fun.
Bike
  • 40m 22s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.48 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike felt good - but I think that is because I didn't push as hard as I could. I was so worried about the run - that everytime I felt myself pushing - I held back. I shouldn't have. I've riden that course faster in training rides. Anyway, I passed a lot of people, and was passed a few times by some speed demons. The course was crowded in spots - with ladies riding 2-3 across which made it hard pass - and I was constently saying "on your left"...it might have been nice to have a tape player for that :-) I didn't really have any issues on the hill - just spun up at a nice cadence - passing people left and right - only saw one lady pushing her bike up - I was expecting to see more of that. Coming back down the hill was a LOT more fun - except I couldn't really break loose with the speed since there were people in my way. I didn't let it bother me - just kept saying - I still have to run. Only got in the aerobars once - just never felt I had enough room to be safe in them. That is going to take more practice. At the turn around we had to slow WAY down - and traffic was a little backed up there. But overall, the ride was fun.

Push harder. Like I said before, I've done this course faster in training rides - so I know I held back too much. I want a do over!!!!
Transition 2
  • 03m 58s
Comments:

Legs felt a little funny at first, but since we had to walk our bikes in transition, by the time I got to my spot - I was feeling ok. Bike shoes off, running shoes on - hat on - and race number on - and off to the porta potties - I probably could have skipped that last step, but I just absolutely HATE running if I feel I have to go pee at all!! OH...and I need to put my race number on as I'm running to the run start...I just stood there like a doofus wasting time getting it snapped and in just the right place.

Put the racing belt on while running to run start!! Get over my need to use the potty before I start the run.
Run
  • 35m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok...I'll admit it...I tried running up the hill - but just didn't want to. So - like everyone else around me at the time - I just walked up. Looking back at it now, I wimped out. As I got closer to the top, I picked up speed to a light jog. Then just settled in on my notorious slow slog down the dam road to the turn around and back. I'm so pathetically slow on the run - definately room for improvement. As I passed the last mile marker, another lady in my age group ran up beside me and asked if I wanted to race to the finish. At first I said no - but then said - sure - lets go!! I wouldn't call it racing - but we definatly pushed each other through that last mile - probably not hard enough since we were able to 'talk' about the race but it was definately a faster pace than I had been running. I let her cross the finish line first since it was her idea to push me - and then came through myself with a big smile on my face. Unfortunately, I don't think I got a finish line photo since she was just a couple of steps ahead of me - but really - thats ok with me! It was so fun having a new friend to run with.

Run faster - no really - run faster. I think part of my problem with my slow pace is that I don't push myself to run as fast as I can. The last mile of this race proved that to me. I ran that last mile a couple min/mile faster than the first two, and still crossed the finish line with gas in the tank.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a banana - a massage - loaded up my stuff and began the long walk back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I took the transitions pretty slow...I could have probably saved myself several minutes total, buy just pushin a little there - although - looking at the transition times for my age group - I was really in the middle on time - so maybe I shouldn't focus too much on that. It kind of sucks that our age group racks were in the middle of the transition area - but nothing you can do about that. However, I think I am my biggest limiter. For some reason I'm afraid or unable to push myself to the 'throw up' level of giving it your all. I know I could have biked and ran faster than I did....but you know what?? I had fun. My bike is my strength...with swimming just being ok..and I suck at running - I guess I know where I'll spend my time in the off season. Anyway, I was just a little better than middle of the pack - for my first tri And that is what really counts. I definatly want to do this race again next year - and give it my all. And for a mother of 5 with myasthenia gravis - I accomplished a lot by just finishing!! I can't wait to go into my next appointment with my neurologist with my finishers medal around my neck - and show her just how tough I am! Oh...and I"M A TRIATHLETE!!!

Last updated: 2006-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:49 | 820 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 103/263
Overall: 965/2606
Performance: Good
Suit: Promotion sleeveless
Course: Counter Clockwise triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:22 | 12.43 miles | 18.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 74/263
Overall: 603/2606
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: On the roads and bike paths around the rez. One pretty good hill..
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:58
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:09 | 03.11 miles | 11m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 184/263
Overall: 1677/2606
Performance: Below average
Course: Up one long hill - and then flat out and back on the dam - then a good downhill into the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-06 5:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: Tri for the Cure - Denver

2006-08-06 8:25 PM
in reply to: #503509

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Tri for the Cure - Denver
Congrats, girl! Nicely done!

You are a TRIATHLETE!!
2006-08-06 8:50 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Congratulations on finishing your first full tri as a solo effort! Sounds like you enjoyed yourself out there.
2006-08-06 9:21 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

Nicely Done!!  Now you've got it down and know where to go   Congrats on a great first full triathlon!  Looks like your swim and bike both went great and you know you can run faster too!  CONGRATS!

2006-08-06 11:17 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great job on your first official Tri!  You did awesome and should be proud!
2006-08-06 11:18 PM

User image

Master
Denver
You are awesome !

Just what I expected.

-You do not suck at swimming !!!

-You did really well on the bike for someone who claims to ride so slow !!

-The next run will benefit from your experience here.

GOOD SHOW CARRIE !

2006-08-07 9:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Aurora, CO
Nice work, you did great!
2006-08-07 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Welcome to the Addiction I mean club. Way to go...
2006-08-07 11:55 AM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)

YAAAAAY!!!!!!

you did SO GREAT!! HOLY COW!! and you said that you hated to do hills yet you BLEW people away while you were passing them "left and right" -- good for you!! and that swim time is awesome, ESPECIALLY for getting kicked a few times and having your goggles fog up. you should feel great about the whole thing! oh - and i'm the same way with running, when i'm by myself i don't run near as fast as i'm capable. it's great when i find someone who can push me. now you know you can watch for that "rabbit" to chase next time! 

CONGRATULATIONS, TRIATHLETE!!!

2006-08-07 2:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Congratulations on an AMAZING first race!!  You had fun, learned a lot and are excited to do more - perfect!
2006-08-07 2:27 PM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Great job on your first race!!

2006-08-08 12:32 AM

Veteran
Congrats on your first full tri and beating your goal time.
2006-08-09 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Congratulations, Carrie! You seemed to handle all aspects of the race very calmly and deliberately - just like a seasoned pro! Those relays you've done probably helped you know what to expect. I think you did great, and now you've set a baseline for yourself and you know where you can improve and that you can push harder next time. Most importantly, you had FUN, and that's why were all here anyway, right?!?
2006-08-11 5:06 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Carrie,

Sorry I didn't see this one sooner. Very proud of you. You have shown so much persaverance and dedication to your training. I rememeber in the challenge last year, all the pool running you did because your running injury and how impressed I was then with your committment. Even with the injury you found away to keep going and got the family relays going!

Your first full race was awesome. top 40% in both your age group and overall. A good swim, an awesome bike 18.48mph and top 25%!! and a solid run within your goal time. I know your family had to be so proud of you. They will miss you on their relay teams.

GREAT JOB!
2006-08-11 6:27 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
this was your first???? wow! congratulations!!!! YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE! you did an awesome job on your first race. i still save too much on the bike...but i think its better to save it and not use it than use it up and need it. your transitions will speed up as you do more races...which leads me to - > when is your next race???
2006-08-11 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Congrats! Its all 'downhill' from here...

2006-08-11 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI

Great race! As you do more races you will see how much you learn and do differently from your first race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri for the Cure - Denver Rss Feed