United States
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m
Overall Rank = 252/1785
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 18/89
Pre-race routine:

With a 7:30 start time we decided to drive down the night before and stayed in Redmond a couple of miles from the race start. Worked out perfectly. Got to packet pickup a little early and beat the crowds streaming in.
Event warmup:

I didn't do any warmup other than sit in the car with the heated seats keeping me nice and toasty. It was a little chilly that early in the morning and I didn't feel like doing too much before the race. Had a large cup of coffee and just waited. The sunrise was beautiful and an omen of a great day.
Run
  • 1h 42m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really good coming into the race. I PR'd a 10k a few weeks ago and have been running a lot of extra miles. I also had a good week leading up to the race with limiting my runs to about 4 miles and could feel myself getting stronger through the week via my mini-taper.

My plan was to run the first few miles at my otimistic goal pace and back off if I needed to. With such a large number of people funneling onto the trail after the first mile I wanted to get into the flow of other similar paced runners early. Even still I had to do more passing and weaving than I wanted.

Hit my first miles just ahead of goal pace and felt so good I just went with it. Throughout the race I do not think I deviated more than 5 or 10 seconds per mile from my overall pace. The aid stations were every two or three miles and I took a quick shot a gel and a sip of water at each. Worked out perfect as I felt like I had energy in the tank right through the finish.

Ran right behind a father/daughter pair through the last half of the race. It was nice to pace off of them. Daughter faded at 12 miles and dad surged ahead. I tried to stay with him but he must have been holding back to provide support. The switchbacks through the parking lot were still there the last mile but much shorter than last year. There is also a short stretch before the last quarter mile that connects the parking lot to the last stretch of trail that is pea gravel. It was horrible and there was muddy grass on either side so just had to be careful plowing through it.

Finished strong and could not believe the timing clock. My optimistic goal was 1:45 based on a 1:44 McMillian time from my recent 10k. Usually I drop off pretty dramatically from McMilliian as the distances increase but I beat him by 2 minutes. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought. I am so thankful to be able to running and getting faster at my ripe old age.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. The run focus Fall and Winter are really paying off. Thanks too to the great run challenges focusing on purpose, JD, and volume.
Post race
Warm down:

No real warmdown. I felt great after the race. No soreness or stiffness which is pretty unusual for me. Road the shuttle back to the startline enjoying Adrienne's company. Met some of the other great BT'ers and my brother after the race over a few beers. Took a tour of the Red Hook brewery on the way home after that. Life does not get better.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. I think I had a bit more in the tank but overall was so happy with the race.

Event comments:

This is a great early season running event. The course is about as fast as you will find and the aid stations were in the right places. A lot of grumbling at the start line about delaying the race 15 minutes for latecomers but I guess they were trying to be fair to them. There are a lot of people that get funneled in on just a few roads so things do get backed up.

Last updated: 2014-03-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:42:00 | 13.1 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/89
Overall: 252/1785
Performance: Good
Course: The course to a very flat point to point along the East Lk. Sammamish trail. A mix of hard packed gravel and smooth pavement. Also very straight with few turns until the last segment that has a few back and forths through a parking lot. Better than last year but still kind of funky.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-03-10 4:35 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: Lake Sammamish Half Marathon

2014-03-10 4:39 PM
in reply to: #4963029

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Lake Sammamish Half Marathon

Ooooh yeah, I forgot about that gravel! That was a total B. 

You didn't mention the lone trumpet (was it a trumpet?) player

Nice job Steve, I knew you'd hit this goal though. I started watching for ya at 1:40  

2014-03-10 4:47 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Good greif Steve!  That is SO AWESOME! Blazin!

Wow, what an incredible year you've had. You have worked so hard and it is totally paying off--very inspriing.

And who knew you were also a spider ninja?  Man of mystery...

2014-03-10 5:19 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Ooooh yeah, I forgot about that gravel! That was a total B. 

You didn't mention the lone trumpet (was it a trumpet?) player

Nice job Steve, I knew you'd hit this goal though. I started watching for ya at 1:40  

Yea, that little boy was awesome.  He was belting out the Olympics theme song.  I think it was the only thing he knew how to play.  One of those moments that through the focus of a race still makes you crack a smile and chuckle.

2014-03-10 5:23 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by switch

Wow, what an incredible year you've had. You have worked so hard and it is totally paying off--very inspriing.

How have you been?  It seems like ages since we've chatted.  Been missing you.

I do not particularly care much for spiders either but someone had to protect Adrienne.  She HATED that thing.  

2014-03-10 6:10 PM

Master
Northern IL

Nice going Steve!

2014-03-10 6:45 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Great race, Steve!
Congratulations on a job well done. You are a beast these days.

Glad to hear that you are handling multi-sport training so well. This should continue to be a fruitful year for you with a bunch more PR's.
Oh, and that's gonna be a new vdot for you too-filled with a higher level of training pain...

next time, snake charmer rather than spider killer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zeTceAZvCtI

good to know you got Salty's back

very nice execution for you-What's next?
2014-03-11 10:15 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by switch

How have you been?  It seems like ages since we've chatted.  Been missing you.

I do not particularly care much for spiders either but someone had to protect Adrienne.  She HATED that thing.  

Back atcha, Steve. Hugs!

I know you're all into this running thing, but there's a new swim challenge with your name all over it;)

2014-03-11 3:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by dtoce Great race, Steve! Congratulations on a job well done. You are a beast these days. Glad to hear that you are handling multi-sport training so well. This should continue to be a fruitful year for you with a bunch more PR's. Oh, and that's gonna be a new vdot for you too-filled with a higher level of training pain... next time, snake charmer rather than spider killer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zeTceAZv... good to know you got Salty's back very nice execution for you-What's next?

Thanks Dale.  It's good to hear from you.  Hope all is well and you have the worst of the Winter behind you.  My sister just moved to your neck of the woods and she's been sending me pictures of all the snow.

Next up is a 5k this weekend which is a "c" race but it one of the biggest hometown events so some local peer pressure.  I've really been focusing on a marathon in three weeks which is kind of a "b+" race.  After last Saturday's race, I am not sure of target pace.  I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Edited by popsracer 2014-03-11 3:54 PM
2014-03-11 4:19 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by popsracer

Thanks Dale.  It's good to hear from you.  Hope all is well and you have the worst of the Winter behind you.  My sister just moved to your neck of the woods and she's been sending me pictures of all the snow.

Next up is a 5k this weekend which is a "c" race but it one of the biggest hometown events so some local peer pressure.  I've really been focusing on a marathon in three weeks which is kind of a "b+" race.  After last Saturday's race, I am not sure of target pace.  I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

still a lot of snow on the ground, but it's melting...and hopefully my calf will be healed enough to actually get out on the roads soon...it's been a cold winter with a bunch of snow and it started later in the winter this time which always makes springtime seem so much further away...sigh

so, a B+ M coming up in 3 weeks?
have you been getting in the LR's? tempo workouts?volume?

You can always let the race come to you. I like to break the race up into 2 x 10 mile sections and then the final 10K 'race' which begins at mile 20. If you can keep your pace steady, comfortable up to mile 15, then start to pick it up slowly. You must arrive at mile 20 with enough energy to finish well, though. That is an art to do and do well...

I cannot specifically comment without knowing more details-other than to say, you are certainly more fit than your 4:09 marathon and I expect you will be between the projection of 3:30 by Dr. D(based on this 1/2M) and a more realistic time of 3:45-depending on the day, the course, your taper etc...

(I've run a marathon 'easy' (at Boston, my revenge 3:30 after my PW) which was quite enjoyable...Recovery from that distance was always hard on my body, though)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Sammamish Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Sammamish Half Marathon

Started by Muskrat37
Views: 1704 Posts: 6

2013-03-14 10:25 AM TriAya

Started by Medusa_Ann
Views: 1618 Posts: 5

2013-03-12 6:53 PM SSMinnow

Started by bluetractor
Views: 1484 Posts: 4

2012-03-18 1:03 PM KateTri1

Lake Sammamish Half-Marathon

Started by oldntrin
Views: 990 Posts: 1

2011-03-27 8:57 AM oldntrin

Lake Sammamish Half-Marathon

Started by Medusa_Ann
Views: 2323 Posts: 9

2011-03-28 8:57 PM popsracer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.