BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-04-24 2:58 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

I've spent several days getting things in order to be a foster home for a rescue pup. The kill number at the shelters is staggering (50+ dogs at our local just last weekend) and the rescues are overwhelmed.

Thank you thank you thank you for being a doggy foster home!!!  There's a huge need (as you clearly know) and it makes the dogs much more adoptable.  Shelters are so stressful for them it often takes several months for them to regain their normal personalities.  One of our dogs is a two-time rescue who's been fostered both times.  He was rescued from a shelter first, then by the same organization when his previous owner almost had him euthanized.  Fortunately the vet saw the tag from the rescue and called them instead of euthanizing him.  It was really cool to be able to get more behavioral information and a better sense for his personality than we would have had we gotten him from the shelter.  He's such a special boy and it makes me feel sick to think that he was almost killed - twice.

2014-04-24 2:59 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master

Originally posted by ponderingfox

In my life...

Mak has pink eye. Taylor looks like he's getting it.

Swam for first time in a month yesterday. That race in 10 days was screaming death threats at me.

I've spent several days getting things in order to be a foster home for a rescue pup. The kill number at the shelters is staggering (50+ dogs at our local just last weekend) and the rescues are overwhelmed.

Our family location may be changing in the next few months. I'm doing lots of city researching.

I have a treadmill set up next to my trainer now. No excuses for heat or sick kids

Someday I'm going to have that treadmill/trainer setup.  Right next to my indoor 25y pool.  Yup. Someday.

Of course. Isn't it a must? Like winning the lottery is on my "to do" list.

2014-04-24 3:01 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by laffinrock

I need some Manatee advice.  I'm signed up for a 1.5 mi. race on Sunday; there's a 5K option.  I've been doing my running based on time, not distance.  Just got a 310XT so I can track the distance now.  Current training has been/will be as follows:

• 2.46 mi. (3 min walking, 2 min running x 6)
  • 2.78 mi (2.5 min walking, 2.5 min running x 6 plus 5 min extra walking because of tech problems
  • Today will be another 2.5/2.5, probably for 30 min although I could stretch it to 35 min.
  • Scheduled to do 2 min walking, 3 min running x 6 on Sunday, again could stretch to 35 min.
  • Monday is my rest day

I'm thinking about doing the 5K on Sunday.  It's a really flat course.   It's a little bit of stretch but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.  Think I can/should do it?

Echoing what the others have said, it seems very doable and a logical progression.  And again, as others wisely said, stick to your plan of running/walking and you will do just fine!

2014-04-24 3:09 PM

User image

Master

Thank you thank you thank you for being a doggy foster home!!!  There's a huge need (as you clearly know) and it makes the dogs much more adoptable.  Shelters are so stressful for them it often takes several months for them to regain their normal personalities.  One of our dogs is a two-time rescue who's been fostered both times.  He was rescued from a shelter first, then by the same organization when his previous owner almost had him euthanized.  Fortunately the vet saw the tag from the rescue and called them instead of euthanizing him.  It was really cool to be able to get more behavioral information and a better sense for his personality than we would have had we gotten him from the shelter.  He's such a special boy and it makes me feel sick to think that he was almost killed - twice.

Wow! At least he is safe now.

I was in tears for an hour last weekend when I saw all the dogs on the euthanize list. We almost went to get a Mini Pinscher but found he had been rescued. With three large dogs, a cat and two young kids, I don't know how much I can help, but I told the rescue lady I will do what I can.

Sadly, in our area it's 80% pitbull mixes and Chihuahua mixes that are euthanized. Sooooo many backyard breeders

2014-04-24 3:29 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Our family location may be changing in the next few months. I'm doing lots of city researching.

Whoa, whoa, whoooooaaaa - details, woman!!

Trust me, I wish I had them! The planner in me is having anxiety issues. Though, in all reality, things are in the beginning stages, and I should hardly bat an eyelash yet. lol   It is lots of fun to research

You tease!  You know exactly what I want to know... where??? What cities???  

We're still looking almost every other day at what the housing situation is like in Austin & have tickets booked to go visit in May...  WHEEEE!   

2014-04-24 3:31 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I was in tears for an hour last weekend when I saw all the dogs on the euthanize list. We almost went to get a Mini Pinscher but found he had been rescued. With three large dogs, a cat and two young kids, I don't know how much I can help, but I told the rescue lady I will do what I can.

Sadly, in our area it's 80% pitbull mixes and Chihuahua mixes that are euthanized. Sooooo many backyard breeders

I almost completely lost it when we got the kitties from the Anti-Cruelty Society - I wanted to bring them ALL home, which isn't really possible when you live in a 500sq/ft. place.  When we (FINALLY) move to a bigger place, we'll go rescue a dog too - which I'm sure the cats will LOVE.  

2014-04-24 3:33 PM

User image

Denver, CO

We have a lot of backyard breeders here too.  Lots of pits and rottweilers; you know, the "bully breeds" (most of whom are total marshmallows).  Plus Denver and several other surrounding cities have breed bans.  Makes me so sad.  I raised and showed terriers when I was a kid but now am firmly committed to rescues, especially adult dogs.  I can understand why people go other routes; I just choose to (a) avoid puppy teeth/potty-training, and (b) give a great dog a 2nd chance. 

We have 2 border collies now and I'm totally in love with the breed.  We got Pippin from a great BC rescue in the area.  We sadly can't get another one now; 1,200 sq. ft. house + 2 BCs and a cat = enough!!  When the time comes, we'll likely go back to that rescue group.  DH and I totally stalk their website for available dogs even though ours are still pretty young.

2014-04-24 3:34 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Denver, CO

I'm really not a fan of chocolate, but pumpkin anything is delicious!  

Wait, what?!

2014-04-24 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4975867

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
Saw the post on tt that had a link to monterrey's 70.3. I want to swim in that crazy lazy river. The St. Lucia River walk looks irresistible. Next year's 70.3 is in March. The logistics of the trip are doable. It would be a 1200 mile trip one way. Must investigate the cost of flying versus the cost of driving. My Spanish is passable and I have plenty of time to refresh my vocabulary. I know the consensus of the Manatee is just do it but I want to hear everyone thoughts about this.
Mucho gracias y est tiempo por una cerveza, mis amigos.
2014-04-24 3:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Wait, what?!

yes, she has some odd qualities, but she does love wine and coffee Pumpkin cookies with chocolate chips...oooooh! And speaking of wine and chocolate, anyone tried chocolate wine?

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-04-24 4:04 PM
2014-04-24 4:09 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Wait, what?!

yes, she has some odd qualities, but she does love wine and coffee Pumpkin cookies with chocolate chips...oooooh! And speaking of wine and chocolate, anyone tried chocolate wine?

It's true, I do have odd qualities!  And proud of them!!  

This is going to make you all cringe, but I dislike chocolate enough that even with the ice cream bars that we had at work yesterday, I took all the chocolate coating OFF and tossed it so that I could just eat the ice cream.  

I'm going to say NO to chocolate wine based on my dislike of chocolate.  However, anything caramel flavoured, I'm allllll over!!  

2014-04-24 4:13 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by MadMathemagician Saw the post on tt that had a link to monterrey's 70.3. I want to swim in that crazy lazy river. The St. Lucia River walk looks irresistible. Next year's 70.3 is in March. The logistics of the trip are doable. It would be a 1200 mile trip one way. Must investigate the cost of flying versus the cost of driving. My Spanish is passable and I have plenty of time to refresh my vocabulary. I know the consensus of the Manatee is just do it but I want to hear everyone thoughts about this. Mucho gracias y est tiempo por una cerveza, mis amigos.

Of COURSE we're all going to say dooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeeeet! 

The race really sounds like a fun one to do - and I've looked at it more than once purely due to the gorgeous swim venue.  It's certainly on my bucket list of travel races - though for ME, I'd rather fly in and get there sooner with more time to chill by the water than spend the time driving.  Whichever you choose though, I'm sure you'll have a phenomenal trip - which will be made easier with your Spanish. 

I may not enjoy beer, but when isn't it time for a drink??  

2014-04-24 4:27 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

GOOD AFTERNOON!!!

Melanie - Scary stuff and a good reminder!

Mary - just do it I don't think anyone here will say don't do it! Just don't blow up out of the gate and stick to the paces you're used to rather than what people around you are doing. (wish someone had reminded me of that for my first 5k last season LOL)

HOORAY THURSDAY!! Who's got what this weekend? I've got a 10K Sunday - and the weather looks niiiiiiice finally!!

In 4 hours, 6am local, I have the Shadow Country Music Half-Marathon here in Jalalabad Afghanistan. The sun will be up in 2 1/2 hrs so it will not be ridiculously hot, but temps will be climbing. Aiming for 2hrs or a 9:10 PPM or better.
2014-04-24 4:28 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Wait, what?!

It's true, I do have odd qualities!  And proud of them!!  

This is going to make you all cringe, but I dislike chocolate enough that even with the ice cream bars that we had at work yesterday, I took all the chocolate coating OFF and tossed it so that I could just eat the ice cream.  

I'm going to say NO to chocolate wine based on my dislike of chocolate.  However, anything caramel flavoured, I'm allllll over!!  

Well, since I proudly have some odd qualities of my own, I guess I'll just have to accept you, quirks and all.    For example, I'm not a fan of wine.  It and I just don't agree; I go straight to feeling like I have a hangover within a few minutes of having any.  And I don't like beer, never have.  Hard cider, vodka drinks or Bailey's, on the other hand, are quite acceptable.

I'm sure you could have found somebody willing to take that chocolate off your ice cream bar.  I've been happy to help but I think the commute would have been a little rough on the ice cream.  Sigh.... 

I'm totally with you on the caramel.  I keep seeing the ad for caramel gelato on TV and telling DH not to buy any because I'd be eating it for dinner.

2014-04-24 4:30 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jbwills In 4 hours, 6am local, I have the Shadow Country Music Half-Marathon here in Jalalabad Afghanistan. The sun will be up in 2 1/2 hrs so it will not be ridiculously hot, but temps will be climbing. Aiming for 2hrs or a 9:10 PPM or better.

Hope you have a great race, Jonathan!  What's the temp range likely to be?  And what the heck are you still doing awake?!

2014-04-24 4:34 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Wait, what?!

I've had a decent chocolate wine from the NY Finger Lakes area.  Mmmm, pumpkin (especially with cream cheese icing).  Mmmm, chocolate.  Mmmm, wine.   Yes, it's why I look the way I do!

Just a little FYI, I'm not racing the half marathon this Sunday, or even doing it.  I will be there to cheer my friends on, however, and pick up my swag bag and shop the expo.  Not enough run training under my belt and there really is no glory in dragging my carcass 13.1 miles of pain and discomfort, hoping to finish in under 3 hours.  Unfortunately there is no way that I've found to remove races from one's race list.

2014-04-24 4:35 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jbwills
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk GOOD AFTERNOON!!! Melanie - Scary stuff and a good reminder! Mary - just do it I don't think anyone here will say don't do it! Just don't blow up out of the gate and stick to the paces you're used to rather than what people around you are doing. (wish someone had reminded me of that for my first 5k last season LOL) HOORAY THURSDAY!! Who's got what this weekend? I've got a 10K Sunday - and the weather looks niiiiiiice finally!!
In 4 hours, 6am local, I have the Shadow Country Music Half-Marathon here in Jalalabad Afghanistan. The sun will be up in 2 1/2 hrs so it will not be ridiculously hot, but temps will be climbing. Aiming for 2hrs or a 9:10 PPM or better.

GOOD LUCK, JONATHAN!!!

2014-04-24 4:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

Originally posted by jbwills In 4 hours, 6am local, I have the Shadow Country Music Half-Marathon here in Jalalabad Afghanistan. The sun will be up in 2 1/2 hrs so it will not be ridiculously hot, but temps will be climbing. Aiming for 2hrs or a 9:10 PPM or better.

Hope you have a great race, Jonathan!  What's the temp range likely to be?  And what the heck are you still doing awake?!

Temps will probably be around 75-80. I am currently on Night Shift so I work 6 pm to 6 am. It lines up nice with trying to talk to the kids stateside, and has helped me get back to training. My afternoon worksouts temps are between 85-90. In the next 2-3 weeks temps will be over 100 almost everyday.
2014-04-24 4:41 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by melbo55

Wait, what?!

I've had a decent chocolate wine from the NY Finger Lakes area.  Mmmm, pumpkin (especially with cream cheese icing).  Mmmm, chocolate.  Mmmm, wine.   Yes, it's why I look the way I do!

Just a little FYI, I'm not racing the half marathon this Sunday, or even doing it.  I will be there to cheer my friends on, however, and pick up my swag bag and shop the expo.  Not enough run training under my belt and there really is no glory in dragging my carcass 13.1 miles of pain and discomfort, hoping to finish in under 3 hours.  Unfortunately there is no way that I've found to remove races from one's race list.

There should be a way to remove it... If I remember correctly, you can click on the race to edit it and then scroll to the bottom, there should be either a delete button or remove race or something like that.  

2014-04-24 4:42 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk GOOD AFTERNOON!!! Melanie - Scary stuff and a good reminder! Mary - just do it I don't think anyone here will say don't do it! Just don't blow up out of the gate and stick to the paces you're used to rather than what people around you are doing. (wish someone had reminded me of that for my first 5k last season LOL) HOORAY THURSDAY!! Who's got what this weekend? I've got a 10K Sunday - and the weather looks niiiiiiice finally!!

GOOD LUCK, JONATHAN!!!

^^ what Mel said!

GOOD LUCK!  

2014-04-24 9:52 PM

User image

Melon Presser

GOOD LUCK, JONATHAN!!!

^^ what Mel said!

GOOD LUCK!  

[/QUOTE

GO ICE CUBE (Desert Rose now? New nickname? Toasty? It's not desert there, though, just dry and mountainous. Goat?) You should be in the middle of it now, cheering for you!

2014-04-24 10:03 PM

User image

Master

GOOD LUCK, JONATHAN!!!

^^ what Mel said!

GOOD LUCK!  

Gooooooooooooooooooooo Jonathan!

2014-04-24 10:27 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by bcraht

GOOD LUCK, JONATHAN!!!

^^ what Mel said!

GOOD LUCK!  

Gooooooooooooooooooooo Jonathan!

Go Jonathan!

Thinking of all the armed forces personnel everywhere in the world today. It's ANZAC day here which is the day that we set aside to remember those that have served. It is the 99th anniversary of the landing of the Australian and New Zealand troops on the beaches of Gallipoli, Turkey and the massacre that followed. It is considered a defining time in our young nation's history.

So Jonathan today we think of you and all your colleagues over there and pray that it is somehow a peaceful day for you all. I am truly thankful that I live with the freedom that was brought for me by the price of much bloodshed. A freedom that means even though I am a woman I am free to go to school and learn and make choices for myself, and wear pants and drive a car, and participate in sport. All these things I take for granted everyday.
2014-04-24 10:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

I have a treadmill set up next to my trainer now. No excuses for heat or sick kids

hopefully your treadmill doesn't look like mine

I really have to clean it up cause time to start using it now that it is dark until much later in the morning.

Edited by StaceyK 2014-04-24 10:40 PM

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1268KB - 4 downloads)
2014-04-24 11:32 PM
in reply to: #4975867

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Race is done, report will be done later. I am off to sleepy land, but wanted to share the time. 1:55, 13.05 miles, 8:49 avg PPM. I am very pleased.

More after a few hours of sleep.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 63498 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 27349 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 16111 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98851 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.