General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do you (or don't you) do flip turns? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2014-05-22 9:29 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Subject: RE: Why do you (or don't you) do flip turns?

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by Left Brain

Breath control can be a HUGE thing in a crowded open water swim.  I don't know a better way to develope it than flip turns.

I've yet to be in a crowded swim and thought "man flip turns would have helped me here".

Then you're doing it wrong  insert pink font or whatever is need here to know that I'm kidding!

I think for most adult onset swimmers the problem is with breathing and it's toward the bottom of their proiority list of skills for swimming.  I've never really encountered a problem with someone doing open turns.  I've found they're easier to get around because of the pause.  They can see me coming.

2014-05-22 9:29 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Breath control can be a HUGE thing in a crowded open water swim.  I don't know a better way to develope it than flip turns.

I've yet to be in a crowded swim and thought "man flip turns would have helped me here".

Have you ever wished for more air in such situations? Missed a breath because of too much chop? That was his point. Not the act of turning upside down, but getting used to going a bit longer without taking a breath.

ETA: I don't think flip turns are going to make or break someone's swimming ability. It's just another one of a lot of things in swimming that can add a little more to help out.

Edited by brigby1 2014-05-22 9:31 AM
2014-05-22 9:31 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last weekend the water temp was 61 deg F, the coldest I had ever experienced (I know some of you from the north have experienced colder). Anyhow the first few hundred yards was tough because it was hard to breathe. But I didn't have to slow down or stop. All those short moments of hypoxicity during the flip turns had to count for something during that swim.

Interesting though, one of my friends simply does not care to learn flip turns. He has the fastest open turn I have ever seen and it's not an issue during masters swim sessions. The other night he was coming in at 1:12 in some 100 SCY sets and I was thinking what those times would be with flip turns. I'll bet off the blocks he could go under 1:05 in a meet.

I do flip turns but I haven't learned to do a flying dismount, I still run my bike to the rack with my cycling shoes on. You just have to pick which minor things to work on.
2014-05-22 9:31 AM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Im a situational flipper. If Im alone in a lane I flip turn, if Im in a lane with someone similar speed and know generally where they are Ill flip turn, but if Im in a lane with someone faster or multiple someones I open turn. Personally just not comfortable enough in my ability to stay on my side of the lane and go straight to avoid possible collisions.
2014-05-22 9:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

That's because you can't swim that well to begin with.     That's the best part about these discussions......a bunch of triathletes who can't swim worth a crap going on and on about what is needed and not needed in a swim.  LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2014-05-22 9:44 AM
2014-05-22 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

That's because you can't swim that well to begin with.     That's the best part about these discussions......a bunch of triathletes who can't swim worth a crap going on and on about what is needed and not needed in a swim.  LOL

Yah, but will flip turns turn me from a 23 minute swimmer to a 18 minute swimmer?  If so I'll start tomorrow!

2014-05-22 9:51 AM

User image

Veteran
I may be in the minority but I am a FOP swimmer and usually I don't do flip turns. If I am doing hard intervals or some sort of TT then I will flip turn but otherwise I usually go with an open turn. With that said, my open turn is a quick turn with the chance to grab a quick breath as I switch directions. I see a lot of open turns that are more of a stop, breathe for 10 seconds, and start again. My open turn is most often as fast or faster than the other (non-fish) swimmers in the pool doing flip turns.

My reason is when I do a flip turn for speed it really is a move that spikes the heart rate. If I am doing a slow flip turn to keep the hr normal then I just prefer the open turn instead. This keeps me from changing my breathing pattern or grabbing a quick half breath right before the flip.
2014-05-22 10:01 AM

User image

Pro

Yah, but will flip turns turn me from a 23 minute swimmer to a 18 minute swimmer?  If so I'll start tomorrow!

I bet it would....especially if you learn to dolphin kick really well off the wall.  It's all about feel.....the more you feel the water and get used to moving through it the better you get at swimming.   There is a world of difference between people who can swim and triathlon swimmers......why triathletes are stubborn to do the things that make swimmers what they are is beyond me. 

2014-05-22 10:05 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Duh.

Flip Turns look cooler.  Isn't half of our decisions that we do here based on what looks cooler?

I'm a flipper 80% of the time.  I know my swimming strength and speed, and my breath control are better because of it.

2014-05-22 10:09 AM

Master
Northern IL

I bet it would....especially if you learn to dolphin kick really well off the wall.  It's all about feel.....the more you feel the water and get used to moving through it the better you get at swimming.   There is a world of difference between people who can swim and triathlon swimmers......why triathletes are stubborn to do the things that make swimmers what they are is beyond me. 

I get wanting to prioritize things to do the most important more often. I don't quite get polarizing the importance of such things so much that it's either the most important thing in the world or it's not worth doing at all.

2014-05-22 10:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

I'll get jumped for this, but here goes:

I feel like flip turns take a lot more energy than open turns do.  Because of that, the quality of my intervals go down as my swim gets fatigued faster.

Same here flip turns seem to wear me out faster. I do flip turns for short intervals up to 200m, I do open turns for all longer swims.

2014-05-22 10:17 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

I get wanting to prioritize things to do the most important more often. I don't quite get polarizing the importance of such things so much that it's either the most important thing in the world or it's not worth doing at all.

I agree.  I just don't get the whole "I don't do flip turns in open water so why would I do them in the pool" attitude......usually from people who can't swim worth a damn compared to swimmers.  For sure, there are other things in swimming to work on, but to say learning to pool swim with flip turns won't help make you a better swimmer is just wrong.

2014-05-22 10:46 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Duh.

Flip Turns look cooler.  Isn't half of our decisions that we do here based on what looks cooler?

I'm a flipper 80% of the time.  I know my swimming strength and speed, and my breath control are better because of it.

Right! That, too. Plus it's more fun.......like, we're supposed to have fun, correct?
2014-05-22 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

They won't make you a faster open water swimmer

But they will allow you to swim with faster people, establish better rythm in your workout and allow you to be more competitive should you choose to do swim meets.

These are all things that will make you faster with time.

People develop bike handling skills not necessarily applied to non-drafting triathlon.
Flip turns are just an equivalent skill in swimming.

A priority : no. A skill that will be useful as a person develops as a swimmer : yes.
2014-05-22 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
That's the best part about these discussions......a bunch of triathletes who can't swim worth a crap going on and on about what is needed and not needed in a swim.  LOL

Does not being fast at something disqualify one from participating in these conversations ?

2014-05-22 10:53 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Left Brain That's the best part about these discussions......a bunch of triathletes who can't swim worth a crap going on and on about what is needed and not needed in a swim.  LOL
Does not being fast at something disqualify one from participating in these conversations ?

Of course not......I'm participating aren't I?

2014-05-22 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Left Brain That's the best part about these discussions......a bunch of triathletes who can't swim worth a crap going on and on about what is needed and not needed in a swim.  LOL

If you can't break 24 minutes in an Oly, then you're not allowed to post here!  

That qualification may or may not have been very carefully selected...

2014-05-22 11:12 AM

User image

Pro

If you can't break 24 minutes in an Oly, then you're not allowed to post here!  

That qualification may or may not have been very carefully selected...

HA!!  I know what you did there.

2014-05-22 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I always do flip turns and absolutely feel they make me a stronger swimmer - both in the pool and in OW. I grew up on swim team, so maybe that affects my opinion. It's just what you do when you lap swim. It takes just as much effort to flip as it does to swim, so I don't understand why one would become any more fatigued adding this skill to their swim training. That fatigue will go away over time as the skill becomes natural.

If you don't care to learn them, you don't care. No biggie. If you do want to learn them, it's relatively easy to do. It will take a couple weeks. I see it in the youth swim teams. The kids are taught this early on and it really doesn't take long to master.
2014-05-22 11:28 AM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
I don't do flip turns because I don't want to be mistaken for a swimmer. Can you imagine being passed by someone doing wall turns? The shame....
2014-05-22 11:33 AM

User image

Melon Presser

I do them because I don't ever remember not doing them and they're a lot smoother and faster than open turns for me. That said, I have a blistering open turn and have occasionally used when I was having significant sinus problems or ear infections that affected my sense of balance.

I don't care what others do. Not even if they're paying me for advice. I do care what I say in that situation, but not particularly about what they actually do.

So here's what I'd say

If you have some kind of balance, proprioception or flexibility issues, etc. that are genuinely prohibitive to doing flip turns, don't do 'em.

If you just love swimming and triathlon for fun and really don't care about progression or performance, don't do 'em.

Otherwise ...

For most people (there are exceptions, and unless you've really tried, you probably aren't one), a basic flip turn takes very little time to learn, and then you have a chance to refine it between each of the lengths you swim.

They will allow you to train faster (and with faster people, the #1 way to getting faster) and more smoothly, with greater rhythm and body awareness, and practicing a helpful kind of breath control.

No, we don't do flip turns in open water. Nor do we come to a dead stop every 25yd/m or 50m. That's not the point.

No, they are not necessary for enjoying swimming, swim training, and doing triathlons.

2014-05-22 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
I do not do flip turns. I wear Mack Ear Seals, the ear plugs with the cord connecting the two earpieces. I tuck the cord under the strap of my goggles, when I do flip turns that little setup gets all jacked up. Plus doing them makes me a little disoriented anyway.
2014-05-22 11:41 AM
in reply to: cjhild

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
If you don't do flip turns in the pool, how do you expect to get better at flip turns in open water?
2014-05-22 11:42 AM
in reply to: DV 1

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by DV 1

There's a rectangular white box up in the right corner of this website that says, "search...type and hit enter." If you type "flip turns" you will have all the answers you need as this is one of the most commonly debated topics on this site. I always use the search function before starting a new thread. It's a great tool.

Edited to say: ST has the same search function.
Thanks...
2014-05-22 11:46 AM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL

Weird, google didn't even mention flip turns:
https://www.google.com/search?q=breathing+drills+swimming&ie=utf-8&o... align='middle' src='https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/images/emoticons/surprise.gif'>fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=sb
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do you (or don't you) do flip turns? Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Water in ears from doing flip turns Pages: 1 2

Started by Caroleena
Views: 5961 Posts: 33

2015-10-24 8:31 PM brigby1

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2109 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Who does flip turns and why? Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by powerman
Views: 7408 Posts: 105

2014-05-24 5:03 AM axteraa

For those who don't do flip turns Pages: 1 2 3

Started by kwynnc
Views: 5424 Posts: 54

2011-04-10 9:52 PM tjfry

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1664 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : January 14, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 12
This is a 3 step program on learning how to do flip turns. Also discussed is the importance of using flip turns during lap swimming.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : December 5, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
At some point in your triathlon career you will need to master the art of the flip turn to continue your swimming progress.
date : January 29, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on bricks, bike steering when reaching for hydration, and flip-turns.