General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arrival Time to Liberty Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-06-01 4:46 PM

User image

Subject: Arrival Time to Liberty
New to Tri. Only seen them done once! Doing the Liberty Long Course. Transition opens at 5:30 closes at 7:20 with 1st wave at 7:30. I live about 10 minutes from there. What time do you recommend I arrive?

2014-06-01 6:19 PM
in reply to: scottficek

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: RE: Arrival Time to Liberty
What type of perso are you in real life? Do you arrive early to things? Do you mind feeling rushed? Do you hate feeling like you are the last to an event and have to find a spot to fit in?

Maybe these are more telling to me. I like to arrive way to early. Ryan will attest to this. Transition will get a little crowded the later you wait to get there. You want to arrive find a spot , set up your spot( as in lay everything out in order so you can find it during the race). Then hit body marking. Then get ready for the race.

Personally I am the first person at every race. With it being your first your going to want a little extra time to park and lay everything out. Get the "lay of the land" and chat with some fellow racers. It will probably take you more than 10 minutes to get there , due to traffic once in the park and congestion with parking. Also with it being your first one , you don't want to have to rush and possibly forget something. With the rain this week I recommend some bug spray for prior to the race.
2014-06-01 9:22 PM

User image

Regular
Bloomington
Welcome!! I'll be at Liberty for the first time but I'm doing the Olympic. I grew up in the area and used to run at the park a lot on the cross country team.

What Pete said about arrival times. I like to get there early too, but I think I"ll shoot for 6:00. I also second what Pete said about bug spray. I walked part of the run course Saturday and got eaten alive!
2014-06-02 10:22 AM
in reply to: BloomingRunner

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

I was going to start a "Who's doing Liberty?" thread but this one will do.....I'm in for the half as well.  Haven't done it since 2008

I second what folks said up above, get there early and good luck

2014-06-02 10:50 AM

User image

I think 6:00am it will be.

Bug spray just for before the race or also for the run portion?

I don't worry about running in the rain as it should be reasonable warm (low 70s).

Any thoughts/recommendations/cautions if it does rain during bike portion?
2014-06-02 11:43 AM

User image

Also, being new to Tri, I am trying to do the math on the bike time (surprisingly it never occurred to me to time my biking). I am in the last heat of the long course, starting at 7:43. I am a decent swimmer, but figure 35 minutes for swim and 5-10 minutes for transition, so let's assume I get on my bike at 8:30. Based upon 14 mi/hour biking, that puts me at the 12:30 cut off time for starting the run. Should I be concerned?

2014-06-02 1:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Welcome, Scott!! As Pete said above... some people (namely, Pete) like to get there early so they have their choice of spots (I don't think Liberty has assigned transition spots in the past), get everything set up, warm up a little, then relax and clear the mind prior to the race. I generally show up early for races without assigned spots, but later when it is assigned. Last year at Buffalo I came 30 minutes BEFORE transition officially opened because I had volunteered to set up a tent for my company that was at the race. I was so excited thinking I'd be the only bike in transition... I was wrong. One bike, and sure enough, it was Pete's.

Regarding your bike pace, how did you come up with 14mph average paced? How has your training been, pace- and volume-wise? Are you riding a beach cruiser or other similarly proportioned tank of a bike (which is totally legit, by the way...)? Last year's slowest finisher averaged 15.4 (maybe there were more non-finishers with slower times), but I wouldn't think anyone who has the fitness to swim in the 35:00 range should take 4 hours on the bike.

2014-06-02 2:33 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

OK. Thank you. That helps.

I totally pulled that 14 miles/hour off the internet.

I have been biking 2-3 times per week maybe 30-45 minutes per day with 2-3 hour rides every other week. I have a 2012 Trek road bike.
2014-06-02 3:19 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I'm coming for the half iron relay - I am biking (of course).    So if anyone needs help with set-up, wet suit situating, sunblock application, etc,  I've got time...  I'll be the one wearing bike, not tri, clothes.

So my question about parking/the race site:   I've only done this at the old park.  Assuming I don't need a ton of set-up time, is there any to coming early?  Like, do I end up 3 parking lots away if I am later?   If the parking is decent for all participants, I will probably push the time a bit.

Thanks!

2014-06-02 3:20 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by scottficek OK. Thank you. That helps. I totally pulled that 14 miles/hour off the internet. I have been biking 2-3 times per week maybe 30-45 minutes per day with 2-3 hour rides every other week. I have a 2012 Trek road bike.

What has the pace been on your long rides?

2014-06-02 3:22 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by scottficek I think 6:00am it will be. Bug spray just for before the race or also for the run portion? I don't worry about running in the rain as it should be reasonable warm (low 70s). Any thoughts/recommendations/cautions if it does rain during bike portion?

I've never needed bug spray during a race, but you should put on sun block (at multiple points).  Bug spray in the morning is great, though.

If it rains on the bike, just be careful in the corners and avoid white painted lines on the road.   You will be dirty and wet, yay!   Also, I'd bring glasses with clear lenses just in case. 

2014-06-02 4:32 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

So my question about parking/the race site:   I've only done this at the old park.  Assuming I don't need a ton of set-up time, is there any to coming early?  Like, do I end up 3 parking lots away if I am later?   If the parking is decent for all participants, I will probably push the time a bit.

Thanks!

When I did this race in 2012, it was the first year at the new venue. They have a fairly large parking lot adjacent to the site and overflow parking in a giant field across the road. I don't think anyone had to walk more than 1/4 mile. Then again it was 95 degrees that year and the whole day is still a little fuzzy.

I'm looking forward to doing the 1/2 again this year, executing a little more intelligently and beating up on the run course (as opposed to the other way around).
2014-06-03 8:30 AM
in reply to: Farlig

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by Farlig

Thanks!

When I did this race in 2012, it was the first year at the new venue. They have a fairly large parking lot adjacent to the site and overflow parking in a giant field across the road. I don't think anyone had to walk more than 1/4 mile. Then again it was 95 degrees that year and the whole day is still a little fuzzy. I'm looking forward to doing the 1/2 again this year, executing a little more intelligently and beating up on the run course (as opposed to the other way around).

Thanks!  We'll see you there. Carrie is my teammate.

2014-06-03 12:10 PM
in reply to: Farlig

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Originally posted by Farlig

Thanks!

When I did this race in 2012, it was the first year at the new venue. They have a fairly large parking lot adjacent to the site and overflow parking in a giant field across the road. I don't think anyone had to walk more than 1/4 mile. Then again it was 95 degrees that year and the whole day is still a little fuzzy. I'm looking forward to doing the 1/2 again this year, executing a little more intelligently and beating up on the run course (as opposed to the other way around).

Probably more so than any other race I have ever done, the mosquitos in 2012 at this race were the worst! I don't know if its because it was a warmer spring or what, but even the week before in Buffalo just 10 miles away, they weren't nearly as bad. I'd bring the bug spray for sure! Everything is wet everywhere right now, and mosquitos are definitely waking up.

And Eric, that run was indeed miserable. I probably overcooked the bike a little and had my quads cramp up before the first mile marker. To that point, I had never walked (or even dropped pace significantly) during the run of a race, but I spent a decent stretch run-walking. I remember seeing you on the run and could tell it was a tough day. I was really happy to see how well you did at Madison in September!  

Emily, as Eric said, there is a ton of parking really close by. My wife showed up to spectate for the run and had to park a little farther away, but I'm pretty sure most participants were reasonably close.

Looks like 60s to near 70 with chance of T storms for Saturday.  I haven't done a multisport race this year yet, and i'm looking forward to seeing everyone! Good luck!!

2014-06-03 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

One other note: did anyone notice the new bike course? I guess I hadn't even looked until the email came out over the weekend. It doesn't go to Cty 110, then out 15 this year. Rather we will turn off on Cty 92 on the first lap and head down to St Bonifacius, west on 7, then North on Cty 10 to Cty 20/6. We cut back to 92 on Cty 26. Almost reminds me of the stick and two-loop lollipop of the IMMOO course (even an impressive hill or two out there!). 

2014-06-05 8:02 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Shall we start weather watch?  Right now Saturday is calling for 68 and 50% "t-showers".  I think this is better; earlier in the week I think it was 60% "Isolated T-Storms" including the lightning icon.  I just don't want to play the whole lightning, watch and wait game after last week's Minneapolis Marathon debacle.

2014-06-05 8:43 AM

User image

You must be checking a more optimistic site. Weather.com has it at low 60s. As of today they are saying 63 degrees, 50% chance of rain and 13 mile per hour winds (I hate wind on the bike).

I am thinking of going to long sleeves for the bike at that temp. I know this is personal preference, but anyone think that is crazy?

Is there any scenario that weather delays or cancels part or all of this race?
2014-06-05 9:45 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by scottficek You must be checking a more optimistic site. Weather.com has it at low 60s. As of today they are saying 63 degrees, 50% chance of rain and 13 mile per hour winds (I hate wind on the bike). I am thinking of going to long sleeves for the bike at that temp. I know this is personal preference, but anyone think that is crazy? Is there any scenario that weather delays or cancels part or all of this race?

I don't think long sleeves is crazy.  Good idea, actually... It will be cooler than 60-anything in the morning.

I believe the only weather cancellation/delay issue would be lightning.   They will hold the swim for 30 minutes after spotting lightning.  I know lightning isn't okay on the bike or run either, although I am not sure of the protocol once the race starts.

2014-06-05 8:40 PM

User image

Picked up my packet at Gear West. In and out in about 2 minutes! Nice.

Another newbie question:

Does the smaller paper number go on the main tube of your bike?

Then you just wear the typical/larger running number on your run? Facing forward? I have one of those Lycra belts that you can hide 2-3 GU packs in. Can clip it to that and wear the number around my waist?
2014-06-06 7:39 AM

User image

Regular
Bloomington
Originally posted by scottficek

Picked up my packet at Gear West. In and out in about 2 minutes! Nice.

Another newbie question:

Does the smaller paper number go on the main tube of your bike?

Then you just wear the typical/larger running number on your run? Facing forward? I have one of those Lycra belts that you can hide 2-3 GU packs in. Can clip it to that and wear the number around my waist?

Picked up my packet last night too - I spent a bit longer and more money at Gear West

Small number is for the front of your helmet. Larger race number is required on the run. They usually tell you to wear it facing forward.

Good luck! Here's hoping all the weather forecasts are wrong!
2014-06-07 7:31 AM
in reply to: #5005257

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Lightning sucks... That is all

2014-06-07 3:03 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

My hat's off to those of you who finished the Liberty half today!

I started out on the bike but after turning back into the wind/rain around mile 20 I was suffering.   I ultimately decided to skip the second loop and head back and turned in my chip.  I did 37.ish miles and I seriously can't imagine how you guys did the whole course, in addition to the delay plus the swim and run!  My relay partner was mainly there for the swim practice, and I signed up as incentive to get in bike miles, so I just didn't have the drive to suffer through to the run.

2014-06-07 5:01 PM

User image

20 mile/hr wind on the bike sucks!
2014-06-07 7:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
4 - minute HIM PR. No suck to be found here. Woo hoo! Rdailey1 & MeXman- great job during a rough day; especially that gnarly bike.

Edited by Farlig 2014-06-07 7:27 PM
2014-06-07 7:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Bloomington
I am really glad I only did the Oly - that was far enough.

I saw a bad crash. A guy on the long course was going down the small hill to the right turn on 92. I think he slid on the wet and went over the handle bars. It was all right in front of me as I was turning right on to 26. It was right in front of a volunteer, cop and an ambulance. He probably had a broken wrist at a minimum. Earlier than that an ambulance went by me with lights on. Hubby saw it with a cyclist just before the Ox Oak Inn. I hope not too many people where hurt out there.

Despite a few unfortunate things for me, the race was good. I froze waiting for the start. I got mud in my bike shoes and couldn't get clipped in. I stopped twice but ended up doing the whole course with only one foot clipped in. But the run went great and I won my age group -- all two of us -- and was 5th woman overall. I had the 3rd fastest run for the women.

Edited by BloomingRunner 2014-06-07 7:23 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arrival Time to Liberty Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Liberty: roll call Pages: 1 2

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 2552 Posts: 45

2008-06-17 7:29 AM MLJ

Liberty Oly course ride - Thursday 22nd at 6:00

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 884 Posts: 4

2008-05-21 12:01 PM leapdog

Liberty registration

Started by MLJ
Views: 980 Posts: 3

2008-03-31 10:37 AM Slahmmer

Buffalo or Liberty Olympic Distance?

Started by ScotInMinnesota
Views: 952 Posts: 5

2008-03-19 1:33 PM BikerGrrrl

Liberty Tri

Started by lincsguyus
Views: 691 Posts: 1

2006-03-12 6:21 PM lincsguyus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
comments : 0
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : May 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
This month I upped my bike time a lot but at relatively low intensity and I started experiencing pain on the outside lower part of my knee. It did not affect anything other than cycling.
date : May 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
Topics include Ironman training, nutrition, focus weeks, balance, running form, SPL, powermeter, coaching and minimal training time for events.

date : April 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
With a hectic schedule and the desire to throw in other forms of exercise, I went from following one of the training programs to doing my own. Would it be better to follow a training plan?
date : March 5, 2006
author : mikericci
The optimal number of times you should weight train is dependant on the time of year, how close you are to your A race, and which training cycle you are in.

date : January 30, 2006
I am totally out of shape. I haven't worked out in over 2 years. I want to get back into it. I am facing several challenges including time constraints and being over weight.
date : January 30, 2006
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Ontherun
We triathletes are a lucky lot. We have the time and the resources to enjoy a sport that is time consuming and can be very expensive. I take this opportunity to reflect on my good fortune.