World Triathlon Corporation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 33m 4s
Overall Rank = 804/1296
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 92/138
Pre-race routine:

Got to Boise from Fernley in about 7 hours not to bad. We got in on Thursday night and just went to the hotel had dinner and settled down. Checked in Friday morning and then rode the run course to get familer with it. Took my bike out to T1 and relaxed for the rest of the day. My wife and son are both sick with pretty bad sinus infections so they are both miserable and couldn't sleep very well so neither did I. I woke up at 6:00 double checked all of my transition bags and had breakfast and headed to the shuttles.
Event warmup:

Sat in T1 for about 2 hours ate a little more double and trip,e checked the bike then headed down to watch the pros start.
Swim
  • 51m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out wih the chop and made good time to the first turn buoy then it went down hill the chop was coming from the right which is where I am most comfortable breathing I just struggled a little, had to stop for a minute and gather myself. This was my first deep water start and with this many people, although I'm comfortable in the water I think I got a little shook up. I also realized my arms were super tired I think my suit is a little to small and that had a lot to do with it. My breathing felt okay I never felt super winded,I fought a hamstring cramp on the last leg but it never amounted to much I just had to straighten out and it went away. I swam until my hand touched jumped up unzipped and was into transition.
What would you do differently?:

Get more comfortable around a group of swimmers practice more open water and get a better fitting suit.
Transition 1
  • 06m 29s
Comments:

My watch fell off as I took off my suit so I had to stop and grab it turns out the band disconnected from the watch. The strippers had my suit off instantly and did a great job, I then walked to my bike trying to fix my watch I just need to not worry about it. I slipped my bike shoes on and put my swim stuff in the bag being a clean transition everything had to be put away in your bag. I stopped against to mess with my watch and never got it fixed I shoved it in my singlet and took off.

Everything this was a horrid transition.
Bike
  • 3h 06m 23s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Great ride wih the exception of 2 things first as I was leaving transition there are 3 speed bumps in an effort to not launch my nutrition bottles I was a little too cautious then after the first bump I looked back to check the bottle and ended up running off the road and into the guard rail on top of the dam. I sliced my right hand open, not to bad but enough to bleed I also jammed my left pointer finger and think I may have dislocated it. Little it's still pretty swollen a couple of days later. I was a little shook up going into the downhill off the dam and just tried to focus. I got settled in and in to the bars to finally start riding. As we came to the first significant hill I dropped my chain and had to stop to fix that. Once I got going I settled into a groove and got comfortable I ate my gu's where I needed to and took in plenty of hydration. There was a bit of wind and it was rather gusty at times but I think I did alright for the remainder of the ride. I tried as best I could not to draft but the hills were horrible I just stayed left and passed people then would duck in where I could. I rode as clean as the course allowed I saw a bunch of Marshall's and never got anything so I guess I was alright.

Not crash not drop my chain and focus better
Transition 2
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

Another bad transition I hit the stop line and Unclipped then proceeded to run in my shoes bad choice on my part I felt my left ankle twinge a little then slowed to a walk. There were too many bikes on my rack so I had to make room. Threw on some sunscreen my shoes and was off.

Leave the shoes clipped on and rack faster
Run
  • 2h 24m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh boy here we go. The first 2 miles felt great right where I needed to be, then the side stitches set in and I could not get them under control I'd run as far as I could then walk with my hand jammed in my rib cage trying to work the cramps out and settle my breathing. I would work I'd run about a 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile and do it all over again, at the 5K to go marker my back spasms flared up and I dealt with that but I knew I would finish and at this point it was all I was focused on.

I don't know train harder, deal with the pain better all I could think was just finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Water And laying down found the wife and son and relaxed for about 15 minutes

What limited your ability to perform faster:

All kinds of things, I stepped up to this distance to fast and needed a better base I think another year and I would have been okay.

Event comments:

My first 70.3, am I disappointed in the time a little but with all that happened I think I did okay I had fun and learned a lot. I need a stronger base I don't think I was ready for the distance to be competitive but I was excited to finish.

Last updated: 2013-10-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:51:40 | 2112 yards | 02m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 122/138
Overall: 1096/1296
Performance: Below average
Suit: Aquasphere full
Course: Triangle shaped single loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:29
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:06:23 | 56 miles | 18.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 95/138
Overall: 757/1296
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Partially out and back and then into town.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:37
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:24:55 | 13.1 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 92/138
Overall: 804/1296
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 flat loops nice and shaded really a perfect run course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-09 5:03 PM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boise

2014-06-09 5:36 PM
in reply to: #5009714

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boise

Wow, glad you did not hurt your hand worse at the bike start!  The swim was definitely a challenge, as was the wind.  Sounds like you did a great job for your first 70.3!  Hope your family are feeling better; enjoy recovery and best of luck with the rest of your season!

2014-06-09 7:32 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Congrats on your first 70.3
2014-06-09 8:03 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

Wow! You had a lot thrown at you but you persevered...good job on that.  Your suit could be too small or you might not have pulled it up high enough on your arms. Congrats on the finish...you're one 70.3 ahead of me!

2014-06-10 6:35 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Way to power through and finish this one up.

The great thing is you only have to do your first 70.3 once. Next time you will have way more knowledge about how to prepare and how to race this and it will gain you loads of time.

I am impressed.
2014-06-10 7:54 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Some serious HTFU going on here...well done!

2014-06-10 10:06 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Great first effort! And a SOLID bike leg to boot!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boise Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Boise

Started by twurtele
Views: 2643 Posts: 7

2008-06-08 11:02 PM twurtele

Ironman 70.3 Boise

Started by owl_girl
Views: 3582 Posts: 19

2008-06-07 10:02 PM lastcall2003

Ironman 70.3 Boise

Started by perkins_jerryw
Views: 4126 Posts: 24

2008-06-06 5:03 PM Paulettejo

Ironman 70.3 Boise

Started by trigatornUT
Views: 2970 Posts: 6

2008-06-05 1:08 PM popsracer

Ironman 70.3 Boise

Started by VinemanCalifornia
Views: 2633 Posts: 6

2014-06-11 7:26 AM HercDriver
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.