REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 27m 47s
Overall Rank = 113/353
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/39
Pre-race routine:

I had a head cold the few days prior to the race. I ddin't sleep well Friday night, so I skipped the Saturday practice swim to sleep. I took NyQuil Saturday night and slept better. DayQuil in the morning before the race.
I woke up at 4:30 and had a sandwich. My wife took me to T2 where I set up my transition. A shuttle took us to T1 and the swim start so that we could set up transition area and prepare for race. Everything went quite smoothly.
I had no idea what kind of time to expect, given this was my first HIM and I had a bad head cold with congestion, etc.
Event warmup:

While Olympic race was starting, I jumped in the water for a quick swim with my new goggles to get them adjusted and to adjust to the feel of the water. I swam for maybe 5 minutes.
Swim
  • 36m 49s
  • 1913 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

The first leg parallel to the beach was shallow enough to walk, all the way to the first turn buoy. I stood once or twice when I needed to get my bearings and actually walked around the buoy. The last hundred or so yards in was also very shallow. I swam as long as I could, until I started to hit bottom (longer than most racers). But then I had to run in through the water. That's pretty slow. It was difficult to see the way back in to the beach after the last turn buoy due the sun. I just aimed for the shore. Otherwise the swim felt great.
What would you do differently?:

Keep getting more confident with OWS races.
Transition 1
  • 05m 50s
Comments:

The run from the beach to T1 is over a quarter mile through beach, grass, over a hill, etc. I got a cramp half-way there, which required me to walk for some of it. I grabbed some gatorade at the aid station and it seemed to help. I had a hard time getting to my gear due to cramped space in T1. I also put bike gloves on wrong hands and had to change them. I had a hard time getting my swim cap off as well.

Practice. I lost way too much time in T1 again on this race.
Bike
  • 2h 46m 17s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.21 mile/hr
Comments:

I wasn't sure how to pace this because I wanted to save for the run, but I also know that the bike is where the time is set for HIM races (and other tris). I set an initial goal of 3:00, but knew I could probably beat that. I paced slowly for the first 15 or so miles and then picked it up. I pushed hard up the last hill at mile 51, but otherwise took them conservatively. The course was mostly flat. I ate 4 gels and drank 4 bottles of gatorade. I should probably eat a bit more.

Work to stay more aero and efficient. Keep pushing the pace when I can.
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

T2 wasn't as bad as T1, but it was still slow. I couldn't find my running gear because they had thrown the dry bags from the swim on top of everyone's transition spot. I had to dig under it to find my running gear. I also needed a porta john, but they were not readily obvious at T2 either. I had to find it near the run entrance to the woods.

Keep working on speeding up transitions.
Run
  • 1h 56m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I tried pacing the run slowly for the first few miles. I couldn't get slow enough. I knew I would pay for it later, but couldn't slow down. By the third lap, I was suffering . The fourth lap involved a fair amount of walking the hills in the woods. I got support from the crowds cheering for RTC or me. I drank water at every aid station and coke at one. I got very hungry during the last lap. I should have had another gel or two. I also developed some blisters on my toes during the last lap or two and also had some chafing. My left hip started to hurt at mile 4, but it didn't get worse.

Either pace the early part of the run more slowly or pace the bike more slowly. I had a good run, but could do better if I didn't have walks during the last lap. Get thinner socks for the run. Use more anti-chafe cream.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished with girls per Rev3 races. Ate some pasta that they served. Had a couple of cold drinks and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience at this distance, problems in transitions, pacing on the run.

Event comments:

The race was a significant improvement over last year. The only comments for additional improvement would be to not through dry bags on top of transition gear, have porta johns at T2, and have better post-race food. The food was awful. Otherwise, the logistics and the spectator experience were significantly improved from last year.

Last updated: 2014-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:49 | 1913 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/39
Overall: 128/353
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: Swim was in-water start, counter-clockwise loop. The first leg was parallel to the beachto the first turn buoy, then out for a short distance, then parallel to the beach for the long leg of the swim before heading back in around the last turn buoy.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:50
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:46:17 | 56 miles | 20.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/39
Overall: 139/353
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course went out on Route 5 to Sturgeon Point, where it headed up toward Route 60. There was a turn-around on Diascund before it headed back on Little Creek Dam Road to T2 at Warhill.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:56:12 | 13.1 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/39
Overall: 113/353
Performance: Average
Course: The course was 4 loops (about 3.27 miles each) through the Warhill sports complex. The first half of each loop was through the woods, which was very hilly with ups and downs. The second half started with an out and back turnaround and then headed back to T2/finish area. The course was very spectator friendly. 4 loops is a bit mind numbing, but it helped for cheering and for knowing what is coming each time.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-16 11:11 AM

, Virginia
Subject: Rev3 Williamsburg - Half Rev

2014-06-16 4:56 PM
in reply to: #5012909

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Rev3 Williamsburg - Half Rev

Excellent first HIM!!  Speedster!!

The changes to the course and other issues from last year were great.  

I do agree, the post race food seemed a poor choice for the weather, probably not much better later in the day than it was at 10 AM.

2014-06-17 9:40 PM

User image

Congrats on a good race. Looks like you maintained a fairly fast pace over the entire bike leg that helped advance your position. Kudos!

It was a perfect day weather-wise for racing. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!
2014-06-18 12:13 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Nice race report, but I think you should have mentioned your fantabulous wife a few more times.
2014-06-18 12:35 PM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by enders_shadow Nice race report, but I think you should have mentioned your fantabulous wife a few more times.

Not to worry, I mentioned his fabulous wife a few times

2014-06-23 8:26 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Expert
Illinois
Great job! I enjoyed reading your race report

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Williamsburg - Half Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Williamsburg - Half Rev

Started by JoePetto
Views: 1800 Posts: 4

2013-06-26 7:13 AM everlong

Started by ajfrager
Views: 1657 Posts: 5

2013-06-25 1:17 PM momo

Started by kidtri33
Views: 3012 Posts: 10

2013-06-26 5:08 AM BigGuyTRI_NC

Started by BigGuyTRI_NC
Views: 1764 Posts: 4

2013-06-24 10:38 AM kidtri33

Started by everlong
Views: 1809 Posts: 5

2013-06-24 10:30 AM kidtri33
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.