World Triathlon Corporation
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 12h 32m 50s
Overall Rank = 605/2470
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 88/307
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:15. Three Eggo(TM) waffles with peanut butter and syrup. Banana. Applesauce. Enough industrial-strength coffee to tune up a walrus. Forget cell phone.
Event warmup:

None. Sit in changing tent in my wetsuit with 100 other guys. Eerily quiet. Lose my composure and shed a tear a couple of times. Generally freak out. Meet up with nice guy from Seattle I met checking in. Bug the hell out of him with my incessant nervous chatting while standing on the beach waiting for start.
Swim
  • 1h 18m
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

The chop was pretty high going out for both loops. I'm not accustomed to it, and had difficulty with navigation the first loop, going wide. I was in 1015th place after the first loop. On the second, I was better acclimated to the conditions, sighted much better, and passed over 200 participants. On the 2nd another fellow inadvertently knocked off my goggles. This startled me, and both hammys cramped. It passed after a half minute. Whew! 2:03 per 100m for first, 1:58 per for the second. Negative split! Overall, a very good swim for me.
What would you do differently?:

Practice in choppy water, if I could.
Transition 1
  • 07m 46s
Comments:

Very pleased with this transition. Suit down to waist. Strippers were excellent. Get bag. Cap, goggles and, yes, booties (wimp!) off. Changing tent. Helmet on. Sunglasses on. Bike jersey on. Arm warmers on. Gloves on. Bike shorts over tri suit on. Socks on. Shoes on. Bonk breaker down. Hug volunteer, to his obvious discomfort. Out of tent. Run down wrong row for bike. Receive aid and suffer reprimand from volunteer. :-) Hit the mount, clip and pedal, brother!

Nothing. Except maybe go straight to my bike instead of taking a tour of the racks.
Bike
  • 6h 41m 42s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I followed my race plan by taking it very easy for the first quarter, getting as much nutrition on board as I could. More than 220 participants went whizzing by me the first 35 miles. Saw quite a few out of the saddle on the Mica grade. Very windy conditions on the 20-mile highway out and back, on both loops. Averaged 16.5 MPH first loop. 16.9 for the second, for another negative split. Passed a couple hundred participants on the second loop, and regained my race position, improving eight spots. Hit 44MPH on a downhill!

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

Another good transition for me. Left shoes on the bike, and love just handing it off to a volunteer. Grab bag. Changing tent. Glasses off. Helmet off. Glasses on. Bike shorts off. Running shoes on. Volunteer said he'd take care of repacking. Thanks, my friend. See 'ya!

Nothing.
Run
  • 4h 22m 7s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m  min/mile
Comments:

I've done quite a lot of marathons, and was told by Ironman veterans it's extremely likely I'd have to walk some. I didn't believe them then. In training, however, I realized they're absolutely right. Worked a 4-minute run, 1-minute walk strategy as long as I could, walking aid stations, too. Turned to 3-1 after a bit. Then some bargaining with myself for a few extra walking seconds here and there. Took in a lot of calories. GI issues forced prolonged stops at miles 5 and 15. Never really bonked, and was able to finish the last couple of miles strong. Talked with participants as they'd let me. Danced with a volunteer to "Get Lucky" at mile 10. No one directly ahead of me at the finish on Sherman, so just soaked it in. Wonderful finish. Moved up more than 150 spots on the run.

Nothing. That was likely my best performance for the day.
Post race
Warm down:

Say hi to family & friends who, unbeknownst to me, were wearing matching "Go Rob" t-shirts. Get chocolate milk. Take nearly lethal dose of Advil(TM). Walk what seems interminable distance to retrieve bags and bike. Get photos taken with friends and family. Get rented Zipp(TM) 404s switched out. Go home. Eat pizza. Shower. Get and marvel at race results. Analyze them to death. Enjoy admiration of friends. Check Facebook for praise from others. Comment on same. Return phone calls of congratulations. Watch midnight finish online. Go to bed. Fall asleep reliving the day, the finish, and Mike Reilly's voice -- the sweetest sound on Earth after twelve and a half hours.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Choppy and windy conditions on the day. Median swim times were about five minutes slower than 2013, and median bike time nearly 30 minutes slower. Run times were about the same.

Event comments:

This is my one and only race at the distance. I'm a mid-forties professional with a family, and while I had a lovely raceday experience, I can't justify putting my family through another training cycle like this. Nor do I think I could improve on my enjoyment of the day. So I'm one and done. I'd toyed with the idea of an Ironman for about the last decade. I'm so happy I finally took the plunge. This was a first-class event at the best venue I could imagine, and I couldn't have had a better experience -- the conditions notwithstanding. I'll enjoy being an Ironman, and all that it entails -- mostly bragging rights. :-)

Last updated: 2014-07-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:18:00 | 4224 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 116/307
Overall: 796/2470
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra
Course: Two loops counterclockwise. I chose a different course for much of it.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 07:46
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:41:42 | 112 miles | 16.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 124/307
Overall: 788/2470
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Two loops. 40 miles worth of uphill and headwind. Fairly tough conditions for the day.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 03:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:22:07 | 26.2 miles | 10m  min/mile
Age Group: 88/307
Overall: 605/2470
Course: Two loops along the lake and Centennial trail. Great crowd support. Wicked hill at Bennett Bay at miles 6 and 19. Aid stations every mile -- needed every one of them!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-04 9:37 AM

User image

Subject: Ironman Coeur d'Alene

2014-07-04 10:34 AM
in reply to: #5021544

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene
Great report! Made me laugh several times
Very good race times and solid strategy... Negative splits on both swim & bike loops are rare! Congratulations on a great day in spite of the tough conditions.
2014-07-04 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Congratulations!  Loved your RR.  You had a great day even with the conditions so tough, enjoy the afterglow and bragging rights!

2014-07-04 7:32 PM

User image

Regular
Great job Ironman. Tough day for sure.

Best of luck and health.

Tom
2014-07-05 6:37 AM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Great Race Report.  I particularly enjoyed your insight in the last paragraph.  Best of Luck to you in ALL you set out to do.

2014-07-09 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Great race! It was a tough day out there for sure on the swim and bike. Awesome run! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Coeur d'Alene Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene

Started by hjmiii
Views: 3908 Posts: 16

2006-07-17 2:55 PM hjmiii

Ironman Coeur d'Alene Pages: 1 2

Started by Flyboy
Views: 7851 Posts: 42

2006-07-03 12:06 PM G8RLA94

Ironman Coeur d'Alene

Started by kaybee
Views: 3357 Posts: 4

2006-07-01 5:08 PM cadreamer

Ironman Coeur d'Alene Pages: 1 2

Started by boglecda
Views: 7596 Posts: 31

2006-07-02 3:15 PM lifeisgood

Ironman Coeur d'alene

Started by markdills38
Views: 2250 Posts: 10

2004-07-08 11:37 AM markdills38
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.

date : July 10, 2007
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.
date : May 11, 2007
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.

date : April 12, 2007
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.
date : April 12, 2007
How BT is preparing me for the Coeur d'Alene IronMan.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.